Eat 4 your type book question (another one!)

http://diets.ultimatefatburner.com/review-eat-blood-type/

http://www.webmd.com/diet/eat-right-for-your-type

There are many more web articles about D'Adamo's diet.....

The first article clearly articulates why the actual diet may actually work for some people.

I also wouldn't put D'Adamo's theories in the same league as Joseph Lister's work (the father of antiseptic surgery). Joseph Lister's work was studied and proven -- D'Adamo's work has never been proven.

D'Adamo's theories are just not supported by the available data and without that supporting research and documentation, the diet should be appropriately relegated to nonsense.

Last edited:
After reading Gary Taubes work, there is no way I would trust most of the literature out there about diets.

He specifically shows how much of the diet literature/studies are indeed fallible and not worth the paper they are written on. In fact there is a study about how great sugar is for people and it was sponsored by the Mars Corporation (a chocolate bar company)!!!!

Many studies over the past 80 years have shown that a high protein/fat diet reduces body fat but do not increase blood cholesterol but they have not hit mainstream media. They prove what Dr. Atkins was saying, but Dr. Atkins was and still is a pariah in the eyes of dietitians. Dr. Atkins and his group put together a study on his diet and the diet was decried by the establishment because it was not arms length. I have a feeling that if someone just is a bit outside of mainstream no matter how good their studies are, they will never be sufficient to over turn public opinion.

All I can say is that I eat better than probably 80-90% of North Americans, I don't drink pop or sugared drinks, I don't eat any type of baked good or ice cream, I don't eat chips or packaged "potato" derived foods. I eat more vegetables in one day than most people in a week and this diet has shown me how to do it.

I am 50 and my blood pressure is 110/70, my pulse is 60, my triglycerides are so low the lab often wants to draw more blood because they think they made a mistake. I have not taken a sick day from work in over 14 years. My health is much better than what it was when I first started the diet. I do not take any medications. My bones are like a 20 year old.

BTW, my sister and ICU nurse, started her diet about 2 years ago, she has since lost over 100 lbs, she eats more of vegetarian style diet as she is an A. She doesn't need her blood pressure meds anymore.

Gary Taubes would never support the pseudoscience behind Blood Type Diet (especially the plans recommending higher carb intake and less fat). ;)

Read the reviews, other reputable scientists and doctors say the diet itself is not even plausible enough to be called pseudoscience.

I'm really glad your sister lost weight following the program recommended by D'Adamo. Until D'Adamo can prove otherwise, she lost weight because she went on a specific vegetarian diet and it had absolutely nothing to do with her blood type.

Who cares about what other "scientist" have to say? It is not in their interest that patients get better anyway (their "research" is sponsored by the big pharma anyway), that's why they don't approve the diet. This subject was researched and is still being researched by Dr D'Adamo for the past 70 years( his father started the reseach).

Gary Taubes would never support the pseudoscience behind Blood Type Diet (especially the plans recommending higher carb intake and less fat). ;)

Read the reviews, other reputable scientists and doctors say the diet itself is not even plausible enough to be called pseudoscience.

I'm really glad your sister lost weight following the program recommended by D'Adamo. Until D'Adamo can prove otherwise, she lost weight because she went on a specific vegetarian diet and it had absolutely nothing to do with her blood type.

Who cares about what other "scientist" have to say?

You're kidding. Right?

Not everyone or everything is funded by Big Pharma. Do the research and check out the doctors. I certainly would, if it were my body.

I've obviously offended people. My sincere apologies. My only intent was to enlighten.

Please stay healthy while I bow out of this touchy topic. :)

I care what other scientists have to say. If a theory cannot support itself to the criticism of scientists and doctors who have studied the effects of diet on health, then I would be sceptic of any claims that are being made.

It is improbable that the many studies that conclude that a diet rich in unprocessed plant food reduces the risk of many diseases, and therefore REDUCES the need for medications to treat many diseases, is being sponsored by big pharmaceutical companies.

Anyone will see an improvement in their health if they switch from highly processed foods to more natural unmodified ones. Ditto if they are told to remove such things as wheat and dairy which are very common food sensitivities.

I believe Robin is simply saying that we all need to be informed consumers. It is up to each individual to take responsibility for questioning information about his or her health.

Corrie

Robin, my sister lived on a series of diets for 40 years and the only diet that has been working has been the A diet of D'adamo. The vegetarian diet my sister follows makes me fat and unhealthy.

Why are you so frightened/concerned of a diet that suggests that people need different types of diets, one size doesn't fit all? So what, that it is a simply elegant theory and uses blood types to put one on the correct diet? If it works and people get healthy on it so be it.

I haven't read Eat For Your Type but I did check out Cook For Your Type at the library yesterday ("Eat For..." was already checked out). I have only gone through a few pages but was surprised to read that for my blood type (O), it suggested eating lean red meat at least 3 times a week. First off, I don't like red meat so I have no idea how I could that. Second, isn't that much red meat unhealthy even if it is lean or am I mistaken?

I haven't read Eat For Your Type but I did check out Cook For Your Type at the library yesterday ("Eat For..." was already checked out). I have only gone through a few pages but was surprised to read that for my blood type (O), it suggested eating lean red meat at least 3 times a week. First off, I don't like red meat so I have no idea how I could that. Second, isn't that much red meat unhealthy even if it is lean or am I mistaken?

There's nothing inherently wrong with red meat. If it is lean, it's fine to eat a few times a week (and contains many vitamins and minerals). Any more often than 3x per week and it might push other foods out of your diet (like fish/poultry/whole grains).

I saw some evidence recently that red meat is actually not to blame for most atherosclerosis (artery clogging) and that processed meats are the real culprit. Not sure if that's true but unprocessed lean red meat is ok, if you like it :)

Email from Tom Venuto

QUESTION: Hi Tom, I see that you changed some things on your
Burn the Fat website and you were talking about eating according
to one's body type. I purchased your Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle
a while ago and I don't recall anything about eating for body type.
Are you now teaching what Dr. D'Adamo's teaches in his book Eat Right
for Your Type?

I've researched that myself and a lot of websites claim that
there is some serious misinformation about Dr.D'Adamo's claims.
I've noticed that you always back up your articles with science-
based evidence. Do you have any evidence for adjusting diet for
body type? I was also wondering if the program you are now
promoting is different than what I already have in your Burn
the Fat, Feed the muscle ebook? -Don

ANSWER: Hi Don. thank you for your email.

Burn the fat feed the muscle (BFFM) has nothing to do with
"blood type" diets.

In fact, to the best of my knowledge, you are correct -
there is Zero evidence that "eating right for your blood
type" has anything to do with improving fat loss or body
composition.

I remember reading something Bill Phillips wrote years ago
when he was asked the same question about whether his program
would work if you had a certain blood type.

Phillips quipped, "Absolutely! If your blood type is red,
the program will work for you!"

To this day, I still get a good chuckle out of that one.

So... unless you're from planet Vulcan, I guess you're in luck!

But seriously, if any blood type diet true believers can send
send me published, peer-reviewed research showing otherwise,
I will gladly post the information and amend my statement...
but I won't be holding my breath - there's no mechanism or rationale
for how or why blood type would affect fat loss.

Your Friend And Coach,

Tom Venuto, author of:
Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.