Do you believe in ghosts?

janie1234

Cathlete
Well, I just saw the commercial "The Lovely Bones" is showing this Friday. For those of you who have not read the book it is about a young 14 year old girl who is murdered and who is hovering inbetween worlds because she wants her murderer to be found. Reading the book really got me thinking about what happens when you die. For those of you who have lost someone do you think that they can hear you or see how sad you are now that they are gone?

We were not told that my mom had passed when we arrived at the hospital. We were told we should come in but it was in no way conveyed how serious it was and I was in denial anyway. Going to the hospital for the past five years had become old hat but on this day I felt I was walking through drying cement down the hallway to my mother's room. At the same time my SIL turned to me and said "Wow! I suddenly feel like I got punched in the gut!" I'll never forget going into my mother's room and suddenly realizing she has passed on. I'm usually the cynic but I cannot help but think she was trying to stop us from going in there. During that rough time, thinking of that day brings me a little comfort because maybe mom is there with me in some way and she is with the people she has missed for so very long in her life (and reminding them what pain the asses they are).

Oh Beavs. :( (((HUGS))) Tearing up over here just reading your post.

Janie - I really don't know quite what I believe. I grew up being taught that anything "paranormal" was demonic (more from my church, not my actual family). I'm not so sure I believe that anymore. My family has all kinds of stories about seeing things and stories relevant to certain passed relatives. I do remember having a VERY vivid dream when my grandmother passed. She was in my dream telling me that everything was ok and she recognized me and was happy now. My grandmother had been battling dementia pretty much my entire life and never knew who I was. Her last days were spent in a nursing home basically staring at the ceiling from her bed. I don't know if it was really her "spirit" comforting me or just too many tacos before bed, but it certainly felt real. I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility of ghosts.

For those of you who have lost someone do you think that they can hear you or see how sad you are now that they are gone?

Yes. My aunt passed away in 2007. I was there when she passed away and I must say it was one of the most beautiful experiences I have ever witnessed. My 2 sisters, 3 cousins and her sister (my mom) were all there. The love in that room was incredible and when I looked over at the doorway there was sparkles floating in the room.

In the months after she passed, she appeared in a couple of dreams. I was really missing her. Both of the dreams were dreams in which she was comforting me. In the last dream, I was standing at a sink washing my hands and I turned around and she was there. She looked beautiful and she was wearing a dress that I recognized. She was holding Avon bags. When I was younger she had a neighbor that sold Avon and she would always bring us our orders. I asked her how she was and she said she was fine. She was smiling and seemed happy. I am convinced that she was there when I needed her and missed her so.

When my grandma was dying, my grandpa came to my mom and told her that we had to get grandma out of the house otherwise she wouldn't die. She was 88 and bedridden. She couldn't talk and was being fed with a feeding tube. So a couple of months later, the family decided to put grandma in a nursing home. She passed away after being there less than 24 hours. My grandma had lived in that house for 50 years and was very attached to it. The evening of my grandma's death, some of my family members (me included) were outside in the backyard. We all smelled cigar smoke. My grandpa always smoked a cigar. There was no one else around so I'm convinced that was my grandpa saying that everything was ok now.

Last edited:
I don't believe in ghosts but I did know when my mother passed. I was sitting in a movie and all of a sudden started to cry because I felt this, unable to really describe, connection was gone. I left the movie and called my uncle to find that she was gone.

I was in Georgia and my mother was in Michigan.

So I think we have connections with people but I'm not sure I believe that they can stick around and haunt us.

It is interesting that you say that Jane because I was recently told of someone else who upon learning of the passing of her Dad saw a cluster of sparkles in the room. She thought she was seeing things but her dog was chasing them and barking incessantly.

It is interesting that you say that Jane because I was recently told of someone else who upon learning of the passing of her Dad saw a cluster of sparkles in the room. She thought she was seeing things but her dog was chasing them and barking incessantly.

I thought I was crazy but I read a story just recently on an Alzheimer's forum and someone said the same thing. They said it reminded them of the sparkles that Tinkerbell sprinkles but without Tinkerbell. That's exactly what I saw.

First off, I can't wait to see this movie - the trailers look awesome. I have not read the book!!
Jan.6th was the 8th anniversary of my sisters death. She died of cancer at age 37 (ironically same age I am now!) She left behind a devestated family, a husband and 2 teenage children.
Anyway, I don't know if I believe in ghosts per say, but I do believe in "something". Spirits maybe?? Another sister of mine is really into this sort of thing and said "ghosts" show up in shadows or photographs all the time. At Christmas time this year, the whole family was together (doesn't happen very often as I live in a different province) so we did a lot of family pictures. Quite a few of the pictures have "spots" on them, like little circles of light. In one, it was right over my Mom's heart. Another had the "spots" above the heads of both of her children. One pic of all the sisters together had spots. And in one family pic of everybody, the "spot" you can see on the wall on the background - get this - right on Allie's grad picture!! Could it be coincidence?? Maybe, but it certainly gave us all the feeling that she was with us on Xmas day.

There are just too many stories like the ones told here for me not to know that our loved ones have different ways of contacting us as they pass on or afterwards.

I think it depends on the individual needs of those left behind as to what they see or feel. I had several things happen when my mom passed, and during the days afterwards, that convinced me she was letting me know that she was okay.

(And I can remember her telling of similar happenings when her parents passed.)

There is something, like people are describing. I don't know what to call it. I had a dream about my uncle around Halloween. He died when I was in high school. In the dream, he was visiting for Thanksgiving. He was very calm and happy, and it wasn't scary at all. I asked him how he was and he was about to tell me all about it...then I woke up. The weird thing is, I woke up because the fan I keep on for white noise suddenly turned off. I got up and it was still plugged in and switched on. I jiggled the cord and it came back on.

I just had this feeling like I could still sense him, so I laid there and "talked" to him in my mind. I wish I could have finished the dream and found out what he was about to tell me, but I just got this very peaceful feeling from him and from the dream, and so in a way I did find out.

Last edited:
I absolutely believe in spirits. Back in the middle of June, 2004 around 2 am I was asleep on my left side and someone tapped my right shoulder, I thought it was my husband, but why would he tap my right shoulder when he was on my left side? I rolled over and it was my grandma. She was in a dress with her hair pulled back in a bun and said to me "something bad is going to happen Cheryl, but don't worry about it because everything will be alright" and faded away.

I wasn't scared just kind of stunned I guess. About 2 weeks later my husband had blood in his urine and went to the doctor had tests and was told he had superficial bladder cancer. My grandma was right, something bad did happen but it did turn out alright, he is cancer free 4+ years later.

The thing about this is that my grandma died 7 years before I was born so I obviously didn't know her. I found a picture of her and that was the lady I saw dress and all. I've been told on more than on occassion that I remind my aunt of her, she was looking out for us. God Bless her.

....Cheryl

How interesting everyone. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hope I didn't come off to macabre for asking. When my MIL died I was angry for a very long time. I thought that we were close and I was upset that I never got to say goodbye. A few weeks after she died I just felt like she was there. Telling me to get out of my depressed funk and take care of my family.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.