is IAMS and Science diet really that bad?

a friend of mine has an 18 year old cat and thats all she feeds her.i read constantly how cats should not eat byproducts,wheat,corn,or soy
should i not pay attention to what goes in her body?i have finally found dry cat food she likes that has none of that stuff but i wonder if i should have continued giving her old food and not worried about it.

laura

IAMS is not an ideal food for a cat (or dog for that matter), but if that is all she will eat, there may not be much choice.

I am sorry if I missed something but why is IAMS not good for a cat. I have fed my cat that for years, probably around 10 years and she is stil spry so am I killing her:confused:

Rachel

18 years is pretty old for a cat, so she seems to have done OK with her diet.

I thought I was being good to my dog by giving him Kirkland brand dog food with all kinds of vegetables and no corn. Shortly after that, he developed colitis with the diarrhea and massive amounts of mucus that goes with it. Not fun with an 85 pound dog that couldn't quite get outside in time. I thought he was just a sensitive dog. After a few years of that with meds and what not, the vet suggested Science Diet. I shuddered when I read the ingredients--mostly poultry by-products and corn. But I gave it to him anyway. No more colitis attacks.

I don't have a clue what was setting him off, but really didn't feel like trying to find something else. He died at 14 1/2 years.

she does not vomit anymore since i've been giving her wellness core. maybe some cats can handle bp,w,c,and soy but others cannot.i think i might need to buy for healthy weight because she loves it so much-more than her old food that shes eating more than she used to

laura

If you look at the ingredients on a bag of IAMS:

http://www.iams.com/iams/premium-pet-food/lamb-and-rice-dog-food.jsp

The first several ingredients - Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Grits, Chicken By-Product

Lamb meal is the dry rendered part from mammal tissues, specially prepared for feeding purposes by tanking under live steam or dry rendering.
Brewers rice is a processed rice product that is missing many of the nutrients contained in whole ground rice and brown rice thus reducing the quality
Corn Meal - dogs don't digest corn well
I don't even know what the Ground Whole Grain Sorghum is.
Corn grits - not digestable by dogs
Chicken by product - Hmm, we're 7 ingredients in and we still do not have real meat.

Compare this to the higher end Wellness Lamb Dog food (ingredients are fully listed at the bottom of the page) http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog_...amb.html?page=dog_wellness_dry_super5mix_lamb

Lamb, Menhaden Fish Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Rye Flour, Tomato Pomace, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E),

Okay, so I don't know what Menhaden fish meal is, but the rest of the ingredients I do know.

It's also a human grade food - meaning that the meats and other products are not left overs, but are the same quality of ingredients that are found in human foods.

The basic idea is that our pets, like us, require nutritious, healthy foods in order to really thrive and be healthy. A lot of people blame the pet food industry on the fact that so many dogs and cats suffer from illnesses such as diabetes and Cushings as they age.

My local pet food store recently got this food - http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/about/ and I'm supplementing a raw diet with this. Jimmy loves it and it does wonders for his coat.

Now, if you are feeding your dogs and cats IAMS (or Purina - or whatever) and are reluctant to pay double for their food (it is basically double the cost for a premium dog food), does that make you a bad pet mommy? Oh heck no! You have to do what is right for your pets, yourself and your family.

Last edited:
Laura, I'm having a hard time finding something my cat will eat and having it be healthy. Right now my cat does like Whole Foods canned beef and liver which does contain meat and poultry by-products and one other canned food from Trader Joe's that doesn't state any by-products. They both do not add any dyes or other unfamiliar ingredients. She tolerates Whole Foods dry cat food which seems to have decent ingredients but the first one is a by-product. I can't afford the expensive cat foods so I do the best I can in finding ones that fit my budget and are acceptable to her and me.

Pixiesis posted a great link to an article on a previous thread of mine which talks about several things including what cats should be eating. It was helpful to me and perhaps it will help you as well.

http://www.oprah.com/article/relatio...tmyths?cnn=yes

Bam

My BIL and SIL let their 3yo EAT dog food! Actually LET him! The kid will get a handful out of the dog's bowl and eat it like popcorn. They think it's funny. I think it's completely disgusting.

My BIL and SIL let their 3yo EAT dog food! Actually LET him! The kid will get a handful out of the dog's bowl and eat it like popcorn. They think it's funny. I think it's completely disgusting.

Yikes, not only disgusting but unsafe. Let along some of the gross ingredients to begin with, after that issue with tainted pet food only a year or so ago, I can't believe they are ok with him eating that.

Wellness Core is #1 rated dry cat food.the first ingredients are deboned turkey,deboned chicken,chicken meal,white fish meal,potatoes,salmon meal.she loves it.$10 for a 2 pd bag.she eats so little that money isnt a problem.

laura

When I was younger I ate dog biscuits. I liked the green ones that came in the mixed bag of red, yellow, tan and green. I didn't die or anything, but eeeeewwwwww. I don't think my parents knew.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Nan

I have had cats my entire life and have fed them all different kinds of food. I don't think any of them are any worse off because of it.

I have always wondered why pets eat what does not smell or look remotely like food. However, I have always read that giving pets people food isn't good for them. I wonder if there is a good/right answer.

Carrie

I have always wondered why pets eat what does not smell or look remotely like food. However, I have always read that giving pets people food isn't good for them. I wonder if there is a good/right answer.

Carrie

Maybe they eat what doesn't smell or look like food because for one they don't have a choice and two most pet foods contain additives that are specifically added to appeal to pets and chemicals to improve taste.

I guess it depends on what you consider people food. If people food means spaghetti with tomato sauce, KFC chicken, Micky D, table scrapes, it's probably not advisable. However, if people food means human grade fresh meat and veggies, I think absolutely.

I am always amazed at what terrific marketing job the pet food industry has done in convincing us (or should I say brainwashed us) that the only way a pet can lead a healthy life is through their highly processed food.

We are able to feed our kids but feeding cats and dogs is rocket science that we can not be entrusted with? It's kind of reminiscent of the notion in the 50s and 60s that infants shouldn't be breastfed and that formula is much better for them :eek:

Last edited:
After I typed my message, I wondered about that. Is it that we are just led to believe by the pet food companies that processed pet food is better than fresh, healthy, people food?

Reminds me of my husbands view on dentists. Who said it was a good idea to go and get your teeth scraped? The dentists! They scrape the enamel, thinning it, causing miniscule holes to allow cavities, you have to return to get them filled and the cycle continues!

Carrie

Reminds me of my husbands view on dentists. Who said it was a good idea to go and get your teeth scraped? The dentists! They scrape the enamel, thinning it, causing miniscule holes to allow cavities, you have to return to get them filled and the cycle continues!

Carrie

Wow, I never thought about that but your husband has a point there!

Sorry in advance that this is so long.

I've been feeding my dogs Science Diet for the past 20 years or so. I thought I was doing a good thing until the people here convinced me otherwise. I post a couple of links. Jethrene has lost 4 pounds since I made the switch Chicken soup for the Dog Lovers Soul which is great for a 25# dog. However when I had decided to switch we had just purchased a 35# bag of SD so for the past couple of months we've been giving a little bit of CSftDLS and a little of SD. Now that we're finally almost done with the SD I've been giving more of the CS/less of SD and wouldn't you know Lucy has developed the diarrhea. So now she is on SD-I/D and we'll see what happens. We just got back from a trip so maybe that is what is causing her upset and not the dog food. I was so careful too, I even packed a gallon of our water so there would be no changes to what goes in.

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260850&highlight=Jethrene

The following is from a link from this board that I found interesting:
http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221977&highlight=Canidae

[ Quote:HI all,
I will apologize for this long post ahead of time. Below is a dog food rating system that I pulled off a discussion forum for Great Danes. The system basically teaches you how to read a bag of food. Then a couple of enterprising people went through and rated some of the more common brands.

I also want to say that I think the BARF diet is the best for any animal that is a carnivore, which includes dogs and cats. BARF stands for Bones and Raw Food and that's exactly what it is. Raw meat and bones. Dogs and cats are not omnivores (like people) and get no nutritional value from veggies or fruit. Since they do not have any flat teeth to grind the cell walls and get the nutrients out they serve no purpose in the diet, except if your dog(s) like them. I could go on and on about this diet and the crap-in-bag that is sold at the grocery stores....and some vets offices. But, I won't.

You will need your kibble's list of ingredients, as found on the bag (or often times their website). Please note, however, this is for ingredients ONLY.... so before feeding a pup be sure to look at the protein and fat and calcium and calories in the Guaranteed Analysis.

Start with a grade of 100:

For every listing of "by-product", subtract 15 points

For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points

If there are no specific meats or meat meals, subtract 25 points

For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, or grain "middlings", subtract 10 points

If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 15 points

If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewer’s rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points for each occurrence

If the protein sources are not (specific) meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points

If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 5 points

If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points (subtract 5 if corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients)

If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 3 points

If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points

If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 5 points

If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn’t allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points

If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn’t allergic to beef), subtract 1 point

If it contains salt, subtract 3 points

If it contains corn syrup, molasses, or other added sweetener, subtract 10 points

Extra Credit:

For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "turkey" as 2 different sources - do not count egg, cheese, or other similar ingredients), add 1 point

If the food contains 3 or less different mentions of grains (or other high-carb plant-based foods like potatoes), add 5 points

If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points (if the number 1 ingredient is organic meat, add 10 points)

If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 3 points

If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

If the food contains fruit or vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points

If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

If the food contains barley or oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

If it contains sunflower, hemp, flaxseed, or other polyunsaturated vegetable oils, add 3 points (add 5 if it is the #1 fat)

If the vitamin and mineral sources are chelated, add 5 points

94-100+ = A

86-93 = B

78-85 = C

70-77 = D

<70 = F

Timberwolf Organics Lamb and Venison-136 points A+
Solid Gold Bison-123 points A+
Innova-117 points A+
Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken-114 points A+
Chicken soup-113 points A+
Pedigree Adult Complete-14 points F
Ol Roy-9 points F
Iams Lamb Meal and Rice-74 points D
Eukanuba Natural Lamb and Rice-87 points B
Nutro Natural choice Lamb and Rice-85 points c
Science Diet chicken adult maintainance-45 points F
Bil-Jac select-37 points F
Canidae-119 points A+
Natural Balance Duck and Potato-114 points A+

Jeanine Quote]

I am always amazed at what terrific marketing job the pet food industry has done in convincing us (or should I say brainwashed us) that the only way a pet can lead a healthy life is through their highly processed food.

I know! Unfortunately, it's not just the pet food industry. Many vet's are kibble pushers too.
I'm amazed by how many people tell me feeding my boxer's roasted chicken is bad for them, but kibble is good:confused:
Oh, another one.....kibble cleans the dog's teeth.You know, because eating crunchy food cleans our teeth you know:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Carrie

food for thought...... wow.
i had never thought of that.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.