Clean Eating -- Please clarify

tobermory

Cathlete
Can someone please tell me if you are eating the same number of calories clean vs. not clean, are you expected to lose more weight, or perhaps, more fat, if you are eating clean? A calorie is a calorie, so I am a little unclear. I understand why it is healthier to eat clean and that is going to help you to control your appetite better, give you more energy and make your body stronger, but the weight loss aspect escapes me.

Thanks,
Tobermory

Here's the way I understand it. When you eat clean, you eat food in it's natural state, not altered by chemicals or anything else. So it's more easily digestible. It makes your body function in a more well-oiled manner. Whereas if you eat processed/chemically altered food, it's harder for your body to digest and can kind of stall out your system. For me, when I overload on unclean food, I get very bloated and sluggish and I am more hungry (I see this especially when I eat lots of bread -- my weakness!!). Foods with high-fructose corn syrup actually rev up your hunger. And many processed foods are loaded with sodium, which of course makes you retain water. My workouts are virtually ineffective on unclean eating days because I don't go all out (due to fatigue) and in some cases I skip the workouts all together. When I eat clean, I'm able to workout more efficiently. I don't really believe a calorie is a calorie (I may be ignorant in this area) because when I eat clean, but eat the same amount of calories as if I didn't eat clean, I tend to lose weight easier.

...it is healthier to eat clean and that is going to help you to control your appetite better...

That's exactly it. In some sense, a calorie is a calorie, no matter what. But when you eat clean, it takes fewer calories to make you feel full, and to stay full much longer, so overall, you will end up eating fewer calories, which is what results in weight loss.

I just got a Clean Eating cookbook and will say that not only are all the recipes super-yummy, but I am definitely eating less. I just get fuller faster, and stay full all day (when I eat a lunch) or all evening (dinner recipes), with no snacking in between. And I am usually one who snacks frequently. It's making a world of difference! And that fact that's is all yummy means I can get my family to eat it too. Bonus!

That's exactly it. In some sense, a calorie is a calorie, no matter what. But when you eat clean, it takes fewer calories to make you feel full, and to stay full much longer, so overall, you will end up eating fewer calories, which is what results in weight loss.

I just got a Clean Eating cookbook and will say that not only are all the recipes super-yummy, but I am definitely eating less. I just get fuller faster, and stay full all day (when I eat a lunch) or all evening (dinner recipes), with no snacking in between. And I am usually one who snacks frequently. It's making a world of difference! And that fact that's is all yummy means I can get my family to eat it too. Bonus!

What is the name of the cookbook?

I find I can actually eat MORE and still lose weight if I'm eating very clean. My body just processes the food better, knows it will get the nutrients it needs, so there's no need to hold on to anything. NOw more is not 2000 calories more - but I do find that 100-200 calories more does not make a difference.

cookbook

I bought Tosca Reno's "Clean Eating Diet Cookbook", based on recommendations I read here. I have made maybe 10 dishes from it so far, and every one has been a huge hit. Good luck!

For me a calorie is not a calorie. I have to minimize my grains/carbs and I've eliminated almost all processed foods. I have to eat clean or I will not lose weight. I've only recently started losing again once I understood I HAVE to eat above my BMR. And like already posted - I don't do well when I go off plan. Once I stray, I stray bigtime. So I find it better to stick with the program. :cool:

I have the Tosca Reno Eat Clean cookbook and like it. It DOES require a fair amount of ingredients and work but I like that. I don't cook much anymore but when I do I often reach for that book.

It's not just calories you have to look at but also your macronutrients. What is the nutrional value of the calories you are eating? A calorie is not just a calorie...IMO.

The theory is that you actually can eat more because you are consuming QUALITY foods. I don't get into macronutrients or other fancy terminology. I do know that I would rather eat a nice big salad loaded with fresh veggies and perhaps some tuna with a light dressing as opposed to say...a big mac (blech!). Point is, you don't have to be NASA scientist to make wise decisions about what you put in your mouth....and what you don't.

A calorie is a calorie, so I am a little unclear.

Those of us who strive to eat clean don't really believe that anymore. Every aspect of what we put in our mouths matters. The way that I choose to eat clean is unprocessed food (sodium, preservatives that mimic estrogens, HFCS are all things I avoid) I don't like canned foods much anymore because of the liner has estrogen like compounds. I am not always perfect :eek: But, I work to not eat things that are not whole foods. I stick to unsalted chicken. I find that cooking for myself is the best option. However, if I am out I get a broiled piece of fish and some broccoli. Most places offer a baked potato or rice but I ask for vegetables, I've never been told no. I do use some frozen foods such as frozen berries or peas. I do have some whole wheat pasta which could be interpreted as not clean because its processed wheat as opposed to whole wheat germ. I eat steel cut oatmeal rather than processed cereal. Its just choices. Allergies can slow down weight loss according to a trainer that I know. When I eat clean, I am more likely to lose weight than when I'm eating commercial food even with the same calorie content. But, thats me, it may not be the same for you.

I'm taking baby steps to clean eating. I'm more of an "eat this, not that" kind of girl. If I'm craving "hot wings" I'll bake my own with lots of spices and dip them in low-fat Greek yogurt rather than fried wings and bleu-cheese dip. If I'm in the mood for potato chips, I have whole wheat crackers and hummus. So, it's not "clean eating" but clean-er eating. I don't eat "fake food" though to satiate cravings, like packaged low-fat cookies, except for the Kashi ones sometimes.

When I plateau with my current plan, which is relatively painless, I'll reexamine my eating habits and incorporate more true "clean eating" plans. I just know that my husband and daughter will completely revolt if I just clean the cupboards and change everything at once. I'm also not about to cook different meals for each person in the family, and when my husband cooks, I'm not going to dictate to him how he's going to cook. That being said, we still eat remarkably healthy, especially for an American family. My father's German exchange student was thrilled to come to my house for a week and eat grilled london broil with fresh salads and homemade dressing and fruit and veg smoothies versus the canned creamed corn and fish sticks and cocoa puffs at my dad and stepmom's house.

I've been eating clean for 5 weeks now and have lost 12 lbs. The first two weeks I was eating about 80% clean, these last 3 weeks have been 95-99% clean. Plus I do Cathe workouts 5 days a week and hike for about 2-3 hours one day on the weekends. I eat around 1900-2400 calories per day during the week, and bout 1600-1800 calories on the weekend (I use Cathe's nutrition manager.) I too, do not believe that a calorie is a calorie - maybe if all the calories are created equal in that all foods eaten are whole, unrefined, unprocessed. I have noticed a HUGE difference in my energy, my skin, my sleep, my workouts, my mood, everything has been affected (in a good way) with this change. And for me it has been quite effortless. I don't crave any of the garbage at all - somehow, no idea why or how but thank God!!!! :D Like one poster responded, if your body is getting all the nutrients it needs, then your body becomes much more efficient at eliminating waste.

Anyway, if you make the switch to clean-eating (and Tosca is awesome!!!) I don't think you'll regret it :)

Kirsten

has anyone tried the book Tosca Reno Eat Clean Diet? Are there recipes in that book as well as the cookbook? Thanks, Lori

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.