iPod & iTunes question for those in-the-know

banslug

Cathlete
OK....here's the situation:

DS and I each have our own iPod. I loaded iTunes onto both our accounts on our home PC. Loaded up our music, workouts, etc (not many of them overlap, so keeping the iPods on different iTunes programs worked really well).

Then I had to re-write my entire PC and reload every single thing on it. I reloaded iTunes onto our accounts again, but this time when I plugged DS's iPod into his account, it didn't recognize it and said something like "this iPod can only be synched with one iTunes account. Do you want to erase and resynch this iPod to this account?"

Is there a way to fix this? In other words, can I take the music that is on his iPod and put it onto iTunes instead of the other way around?

Ironically, MY iPod isn't having this problem and all of my music and workouts, etc are in my iTunes program on my profile.

Can anybody help me with this?

Gayle

I kind of have the same problem. DD has her own lapptop now and wants to transfer her I tunes account from the home PC to laptop and I cannot figure out how to do this.

I KNOW! I keep thinking there HAS GOT TO BE A WAY to transfer the songs from the iPod to iTunes, instead of just the other way around. Later this morning, I'm going to email Apple (if I can find an email for them) and see if I can learn anything from them or their website.

Gayle

Gayle, I'm SURE you can transfer songs from the iPod to iTunes but I don't know how to do it. I'll bet the Apple website has a tutorial on it, though. There may even be a tutorial right in iTunes. Look for a help menu. HTH! :)

I wanna know, too. :confused: We had the exact thing happen. We have an old laptop that has a bunch of songs we bought from iTunes and can't get them to transfer to the new laptop.

I'm very curious to find out what you came up with, keep us posted. Thanks for the doing the research and posting this ;)

Marcia

Jill, I'm running out to school/work right now but will check out that link this afternoon or tonight!!!

I promise to keep everybody posted on what I learn/find out!

Gayle

I'm so glad this thread is here. It does seem there ought to be a way to do it. My husband's solution would be to buy another computer, but I sure hope Apple isn't relying on most of America to be so crazy.......

-Beth

Gayle,

There are two issues here.

Issue 1: Can content be transferred from an iPod to iTunes?
Resolution: Apple does NOT allow users to import from the iPod into iTunes. They feel it encourages piracy. But there are third party programs that allow you to transfer content from the iPod to your computer. You can then import the content into iTunes. There are free and paid tools that permit ipod to computer transfer. Google will help you find them. Of the paid programs anapod is proven. You should check if the program supports the model of iPod you use before downloading the software.

Here is a link to a freeware program: http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/

Issue 2: The home PC says DS's iPod will be erased as it has been set up to sync with the original account that does not exst anymore.
Resolution: The exact steps could change depending on the version of iTunes you use. But I hope this helps. The issue is DS's iPod is still "married" to the old iTunes library. To "divorce" it from that library you have to connect the iPod to the PC. In iTunes wait for the iPod to be recognized. When iTunes displays the error message click "cancel"/"no" to indicate you dont want the iPod to be erased. Then, click on the ipod in the left panel to open up a dialog box that shows the iPod in the right pane. (If you use an old version of iTunes you may have to use the menu to open up the dialog that shows iPod sync options.) See if "Manually manage music and content" is checked. If it is not, this is the cause of the error. Ensure it is "checked". Once this is done, you should be able to copy new content from the iTunes library to the iPod without erasing the existing content (by dragging and dropping content from the iTunes library right pane onto the iPod icon in the left pane). However, you cannot auto-sync the iPod to the library anymore. Only drag and drop copying to the iPod will work if you dont want to erase the old content.

Overall resolution, if you want to use syncing like before:
a. Set up a new account again for DS on the computer.
b. Build his library of music / videos again in the separate account's iTunes. Use a program like Yamipod or Anapod if you dont have a backup of the content to get the stuff from the iPod into the iTunes library of this account.
c. Connect the iPod to this new account's iTunes and "uncheck" the "Manually manage music and videos" option.
The iPod will auto-sync to this new account's iTunes every time it is connected therafter. New content can be added by DS to this account's library.

Last edited:
OK, Vee. I printed off your directions and 'divorced' his iPod from his iTunes account on his profile by CHECKING "Manually manage music and content" (since it WAS NOT checked to start with). And I was able to easily drag and drop the new music into/onto the iPod....EXACTLY as you said!

Wow.....you're good! :) Thanks!

Now, I may very well just go ahead with yamipod so that in the future we can just connect and allow it to automatically synch instead of having to do it manually. But for now, this has solved our problem, and DS can now happily shop with his iTunes gift cards he got for Easter! LOL

My only remaining question, Vee, is that if I DO go ahead with the OVERALL RESOLUTION you explained above, when you say "set up a new account for DS on the computer", you mean a brand new profile/account on the actual PC with its own new iTunes, right? Just like I have my own account, younger DS has HIS own account and we just log on and off of each other throughout the day. Is that correct?

THANKS everybody!!!

Gayle

Last edited:
I have a question about this too. I put all of my songs on my iPod from a PC that has now gone on to computer heaven. I bought a mac and now the only thing I can do is transfer purchased songs from my iPod onto my computer. I always get a message saying my iPod was synced by a PC and then get stuck.

Also, we are getting iPhones tomorrow. Any suggestions about using them as an iPOd too? Many, many thanks.

Wow.....you're good! :) Thanks!

That is sweet of you to say....Thank you.

My only remaining question, Vee, is that if I DO go ahead with the OVERALL RESOLUTION you explained above, when you say "set up a new account for DS on the computer", you mean a brand new profile/account on the actual PC with its own new iTunes, right? Just like I have my own account, younger DS has HIS own account and we just log on and off of each other throughout the day. Is that correct?

Yes, I mean brand new profile with its own iTunes library that he would need to log into.

I have a question about this too. I put all of my songs on my iPod from a PC that has now gone on to computer heaven. I bought a mac and now the only thing I can do is transfer purchased songs from my iPod onto my computer. I always get a message saying my iPod was synced by a PC and then get stuck.

Also, we are getting iPhones tomorrow. Any suggestions about using them as an iPOd too? Many, many thanks.

Mabdoo,

To get your non-iTunes content from the iPod to iTunes download a program called Senuti. (Google for it.)

Please read the answer about "checking" and "unchecking" the option "Manually manage music and videos" in the response to Gayle. Ensure this option is checked if the Mac lets you make the change.

Windows and Mac have a different way of formatting the iPod and sometimes this causes a problem.

Here is a suggestion to try that I have seen Apple suggest:
1. Shut down imac, then unplug.
2. After 30 secs, plug-in, then power on while pressing Apple-Option-R.
3. After startup, wait for 2 chimes then press P.
4. Restart normally.

Now check if the iPod can be synced. Hopefully this will help.

For iPhone, my suggestion is to just make sure you update to the latest iTunes version. Plug in the iPhone and it will be just the same as syncing to an iPod.

Vee-seriously!!! THANK YOU so much for helping of us us iTunes-challenged Catheites! LOL YOU ROCK!

Gayle

Thanks so much. I have to try this now and hope it works. You are very knowledgeable about these things. I would never have figured this out on my own.

I'm resurrecting this post for anybody else who may have had this problem.

I put off doing Vee's 'Overall Resolution' (explained by Vee above) because I dreaded it and thought it would be hard to do!

I WAS WRONG!

I followed Vee's directions exactly, using Yamipod and it WAS A BREEZE! DS now has all his music from his iPod back onto out PC and into his iTunes account, exactly as Vee said it would...what a snap! It was easy, and I held my breath the whole time, but no issues at all!

Vee, again, THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your help and time in explaining this to me!!! DS thanks you too, because now he can use his iTunes gift cards we've been collecting and get more music!!!

THANK YOU, VEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gayle

Gayle,

:) :) You are the sweetest to thank me again. :) :) I am so glad to have helped, especially someone as sweet as you. Tell DS I said he is welcome!

I have a friend who is having the same problem. I printed out Vee's instructions for her. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. You amaze me with all you know and not only that being able to explain it in a way that's easy to understand. Thanks again Vee!! You're the best:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.