STS CHECK IN ....DISC 4

Bow and arrow work with the band - goodness gracious....that was hard work...crying at the end......
really digging the drop set push ups...still so-so (or menza-menza as my mom would say :) with the straddle push ups...my elbows are double jointed (weird, I know) so I just have a hard time on the board with that one....they automatically twist around lol
I am getting much better at managing break time in preparation of equipment for next exercise...I liked that 50% of the program was the same as week 1 - that helped with my improvements.
I definitely felt it more this week - struggling on the 21s front press ....
Definite improvement in the bootcamp style push ups.

I got the giggles when I thought I saw Lorraine say "that was mean" at one point in the disc after Cathe threw a bonus surprise at the end of an exercise...I could be wrong, but I think that is what she was saying :) I found it funny because I was thinking the same thing at that point.... :)

Doing consecutive workouts again this week, so off to legs now...have a good night and a great day tomorrow everyone.

How could I forget the bow and arrow band work Melissa? You are so right, that is deceptively tough.....how many more 15 and ones?????

Loved the workout,

I got started with the bow and arrow band work...ha ha ha...mockingly laughing at the move..until set 3 showed up...ow. Humbled:confused:

Enjoyed the pushups with the ball under the hips...liked the shins, was swearing by the feet, and giggled at my attempt at toes. DH wondered what fell...Um, me?

Overall, great stuff, still have Doms from legs, and Lowmax tomorrow! Yikes.

Hi Everyone,

I just got done with Disc 4 a few minutes ago. Oh my goodness. I have no strength left in my shoulders, lol. I loved the Bow & Arrow move. I had to skip the band with the Barbel curls. Just upped the barbell weight instead. My band is too short, lol.

Cathe, we are going to be in amazing shape by the time we're all done with STS. I am loving it so far :)

Omgosh Carrie! How funny, I just answered Melissa and coincidentally used the exact term you did "deceptively tough". We must be onto something, ha. You sound like you had an awesome workout with perfect modifications where needed. Keep working hard :)

I finished up Disc 4 about 45 minutes ago. It was another tough one! Oh, the push-ups. They were tough. I did the first 14 on my toes. The set of 12 were done mixed toes and knees. At this point, my DD asks why I am not doing REAL push-ups:mad:. I finished the drop sets on my knees...barely.

I can already feel the back of my shoulders. Probably from the band bow-and-arrows. Those were deceptively tough! I liked your mean little "Cathe giggle" during the pulse-15. I DEFINITELY wanted to rest between the sets!

Thank you Cathe for the tip on grabbing the band from the side so the fingernails don't go through the band. I never could figure that out:eek:.

I finished up the push-up 21's with my hands on the steps so that my body was at about a 45 degree angle. I may try that for the boot camp push ups next time.

I also did Yoga Abs after Disc 4 (per the Cardio rotation). I really enjoyed this workout. My abs are still sore from weights and plates on Saturday so it was nice to do a little easier (ha-ha!!).

I can't wait to hear how everyone else did.

Carrie

Hi Lina! The program that delivers the best results is a program you can actually do. If you feel something is currently out of your reach then continue to listen to your body and modify. If your challenged, its working!

Another great workout! I need to take extended breaks, usually after the push-ups, all on my toes :), Just wondering if I will get the same endurance gains if my breaks are twice as long on some exercises. I know that if I don't take that extended break to allow my heart rate to come down some, I will not make it through the next exercise, or I will get lightheaded and nauseous.

This has been such a fun challenge! It is really starting to flow for me. Thanks to the workout card I am getting faster at being prepared for the next exercise, although there is still much rewinding in order. There are also times where I could have gone heavier, like today with chest flyes. I went back and did it over with a heavier weight.
This was a fun, fun, fun workout. Each time I look forward to the next. I am so happy to be right here enjoying this series.
A question about bicep concentration curls.....how much suppport do I give my working arm? I see the guys way down low almost behind the mid bicep and the girls seem like they are just supporting above the elbow. Dose it matter?
Thank you sincerely,
Wendy

Hi Becky! You had a great workout. Thats awesome!!!

As for the melatonin. I read this article once and learned so much about melatonin that I didn't know. See if does th same for you?

Using melatonin correctly can help sleep and mood problems, but melatonin can be tricky, and if misused can cause insomnia and even depression. Here are some of the common mistakes people make, and guidelines to use melatonin the right way.
Mistake #1: Melatonin is a sleep hormone
Most people think melatonin is a natural sleeping pill. This couldn't be more wrong; melatonin on its own won't induce sleep, and is usually only effective in short-term applications. It's more correct to think of melatonin as a 'darkness' signaler, that is, it tells the brain that it needs to prepare for a night time or winter cycle. If taken in the evening or when it's dark, melatonin can speed up sleep preparation, and it can tell the body clock to shift its sleep cycle to an earlier time.
Mistake #2: I can take melatonin at any time.
If melatonin is used during daytime brightness, it can cause adverse effects. If the body clock is receiving conflicting daytime light signals and dark signals from melatonin, it can malfunction and not work properly when it is time to go to sleep later.
Mistake #3: Melatonin is a natural supplement, so it can't do any harm.
The wrong amounts of melatonin or melatonin at the wrong time of day can cause serious health risks. Daytime melatonin has been shown to cause depression. This makes sense, especially when you consider that melatonin causes us to pull back, withdraw, become disoriented and irritable - the classic hibernation response. It's best to avoid using melatonin that could be in our system during the day.
Mistake #4: I need melatonin to help me sleep
In most cases, your sleep problem isn't from a lack of melatonin, and increasing melatonin can mask underlying problems that are the real cause of insomnia. If you need melatonin to help you fall or stay asleep, you are more likely suffering from a circadian rhythm sleep disorder. Circadian rhythm sleep disorders mean that your body is producing melatonin and other sleep hormones at the wrong time of day, so when you need to sleep, you don't have enough melatonin in your system. Simply adding melatonin doesn't fix the sleep problem and can contribute to depressive mood disorders. The most effective treatment for circadian rhythm sleep disorders is light therapy, because bright light is the zeitgeber or signaler the body clock uses to reset itself each day.
Mistake #5: I need to keep taking melatonin.
Sleep experts don't recommend taking melatonin for more than two weeks at a time. Melatonin is effective as a signal augmenter (reinforcing external cues), or as a tool to help shift sleep and circadian rhythms. Long term use of melatonin indicates a more serious underlying sleep disorder that should be investigated by a sleep professional.
Mistake #6: The dosage amount isn't important.
The problem with melatonin is that it was discovered long before scientists really understood what it does and how much you need. For example, in the late 80's and early 90's, we thought melatonin was a sleep hormone. Now we know it is much more complicated. In addition, tablet sizes average 3-5 mg. New evidence shows that adult males only need 150 micrograms, and the average female needs only 100 micrograms (a microgram is 1/100 th of a milligram). So the average melatonin supplement is 20 - 50 times more than we need! If you are using regular melatonin tablets, you can cut the pill into fourths, otherwise, try to find the smallest pill size available. If you are taking time-released melatonin, do not break the pill, as this will ruin the time-release.
Mistake #7: I don't take melatonin, so I don't have to worry.
Actually, this could be one of the costliest mistakes people make. Melatonin is an essential nighttime hormone. When in the body at the right time, it does wonderful things, such as help the heart and vital organs rest at night. Melatonin also acts as a powerful antioxidant; while it shuts the body down, it cleans the toxins and free radicals from cells.
But we often do things that keep melatonin from being produced, and that can be deadly. When we stay up late at night or work night shifts, we keep our body from producing melatonin. This increases the risk of hypertension, heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Studies show women night-shift workers have a 500% higher risk of breast cancer and male night shift workers have a 50% increased risk of colo-rectal and bone cancer. While not realizing it, many people increase this risk with inconsistent sleep/wake schedules - late night studying or partying or shift work schedules.
How should I take melatonin?
The first thing to know about melatonin is that its half life is very short, and is only active in your system for about 20 minutes. This is why it is important to use different types of melatonin for different reasons:

Induce sleep or shift sleep to an earlier schedule (1hr+)
  • If you take more than an hour to fall asleep, or you need to shift your sleep more than an hour, consider taking time-released melatonin. It is also important to use a high-quality, standardized melatonin supplement. Try to find the lowest dose available and do not cut the pill . Since melatonin tablets are coated to provide slow release, cutting them will ruin their long-term potency.
  • When to take: Depending on the severity of the sleep problem, take time-released melatonin 1 to 3 hours prior to the time you usually fall asleep. Since time release melatonin only lasts for 3 - 4 hours, any need to shift sleep schedules more than 3 hours may require taking another pill in 3 or 4 hours.
  • Cautions: Melatonin should not be taken if eyes are exposed to bright sunlight, and melatonin should be avoided if operating any vehicle. If attempting sleep shifts of more than 1 hour, light therapy should also be used. Do not use melatonin for more than two weeks at a time.
Induce sleep (less than 1hr)
  • If it takes an hour or less to fall asleep, then standard melatonin in the lowest mg size is a good option.
  • When to take: One to two hours before desired sleep time.
  • Cautions: See above
Nighttime awakenings and early morning insomnia

For nighttime awakenings that last less than one hour, consider taking sublingual melatonin (a pill that dissolves under the tongue). Sublingual melatonin is released immediately into the blood stream, and isn't metabolized through the digestive system.
  • For frequent or awakenings that last more than one hour, consider taking 1 sublingual and a time-released melatonin tablet. Take the time release tablet first and then place the sublingual tablet under your tongue.
  • Cautions: If you need to get up in the morning within 2-3 hours, Take regular instead of time release melatonin. Time release melatonin may last into the waking hours, causing confusion and mood problems. Do not take melatonin if you awaken less than one hour before you need to get up.

KATIE , WOW , I'm impressed and a teeny bit jealous.:p
I did the pushups but NOT ALL ON MY TOES !!!

I did disc 4 this morning, with the extended stretch and abs with weights & plates and then added on a 30 min. itread TM walk.
I will be out of town all day tomorrow so I did tomorrow's workout today.

The biceps with the bb and band was a killer, as was the front press(?) for shoulders......I almost didn't eek out the last 2 reps on that one !:eek:
I LOVED the bow & arrow with the band !!! That was like firewalkers for the arms !!!:eek:

I wasn't prepared for some reason this morning, so it was a rough start. I just forgot to print out a workout card and didn't have my weights lined up ahead of time, and that made a big difference, but I finally got it all together and really enjoyed the workout !

Cathe, I saw you said you are taking sublingual melatonin for sleep........I have suffered with insomnia for years and am interested in trying it. Could you tell me what dose I should start out with ? Any suggestions on brands ? THANKS for any help. I've tried everything and wake up most mornings between 2 and 3 no matter what , and am lucky to get 4 or 5 hours of sleep !!! :(

Becky

WOW!!! I did disc 4 yesterday. Push ups were never ending.:eek: I feel stronger than disc 1 but my chest is really feeling it today. My biceps and shoulders are feeling it too. I was stretching in my sleep last night. Those staggered push-ups are dangerous. I enjoyed and really felt the Bow & Arrow w/band. They are awesome. My chest and arms were really floated during my workout.

When I did disc 1, the shakiness went away within 30 minutes but yesterday the shakiness did not leave. I could not do dishes, take the laundry down stairs, etc., I had to get help. :confused:

Barbell with band: At first I was scared that the band would break and each rep, I tried to go a little higher and those bands can actually stretch. :eek:

I have to say that I am enjoying reading everyone’s experience. It is so motivational. It is an amazing experience to being doing these DVD’s with everyone. I have never done workouts with anyone else at the same time.

Tomorrow, I do disc 5 and hopefully my arms will be able to pick up the weights.

Edited to add: Cathe once I complete my workout, the minutes, met value, and calories are not there. I have to enter the minutes and when I enter the calories, they disappear. Do you know what I could do to correct this.

Last edited:
May I join the fun? :) I had a fantastic workout!! At some point, I know my muscles were shaking..... I believe it was a combo of fatigue and fear of the words "bonus" and "get your bands". There was a brief time when I was hoping someone would hide the bands. ;)

Yeah, now I just cringe at the end of each set waiting for her to say, "Okay, now hold it!" Aaaah!

Cathe, so far the Chest, Shoulder, and Biceps workouts are my favorite. And I am feeling them! I *think* that even after 2 weeks I am seeing some muscles gettin' pumped, especially in the forearms. Could that be???

Those barbell curls with the band were really wicked--even more challenging than I thought it would be.

(hiding face in shame)--I did modified push-ups instead of Boot-Camp style. It just wasn't going to happen.

Every time I see a new push-up style, I wonder if Cathe sat in her Mad Trainer Push-Up lab, cackling away saying, "Oh, stop your groaning" as she invented new torture--I mean push-ups... I am lovin' it though!

Last edited:
Nora, you are WAY too hard on yourself. You sound like you has a fantastic workout. You were challenged and thats just what you SHOULD be to get results. For functional overhead press, for the front raises, try doing one arm and then the other in place of both up together. Usually the move is slightly easier to do this way. So say 5 pounds in each hand. You turn and press overhead to the right side, then turn and press overhead to the left, then face front and do a one arm front raise with right arm, then one arm front raise with the left arm. Repeat til end of set. See how that goes, it should solve the problem. :)

Hi Cathe,

I did STS Disc 4, Chest, Shoulders & Biceps. Oh man, this killed me moving up to 65% of my 1RM. This one seemed to go a little slower or at least it felt a little slower. Ok, first off OMG~ on the pushups, I mean those seemed to be never ending, and mean.:p Just kidding. I can't do pushups on my toes so I have to do them on my knees. One day I'll be able to do them on my toes just not sure when that will happen. I noticed that the wt. I used for functional Overhead Press (Rt & Lft) then front raise was fine for the overhead press part but not so much for the front raise. Can we switch to a lighter wt on the front raises? Just asking because what I use for the Overhead press is a little to heavy to do the reps for front raises, is that normal?

The barbell curls with band were really tough. I think I'll have to lighten up by 5lbs on that next time. I could do them but only 10 of the 15 reps, and form by that point was ugly.

The seated overhead press was tough. I did try to use the 65% 1RM wt, but noticed it seemed a little too heavy for me. Is that bad that the 65% 1 RM seems to heavy? Am I already failing in achieving that? I guess I'm a bit disappointed that some of these ones seem to be a genuine struggle to finish in terms of rep or the higher wt. selection. I'm sure its just me and everyone else is doing just fine with the increase.

Staggered pushups felt great in my arms and were a good challenge. I liked those.

The seated Lateral Raise both arms high ends were tough. The first few easy, but as the reps went on it became harder to do. The band work always looks deceptively easy but really gets a great muscle burn and kicks your butt.

Ok, Core Pushups Bootcamp style- I could do these from my toes so I skipped them, plus my wrists really hurt after all the other stuff.

Barbell curls Narrow Grip- Were tough and found the wt. I was supposed to and did use a little to heavy to do all the reps with good form. I could only do 16 reps of these.

Overall I did get a great workout and enjoyed it. I just tend to beat myself up if I can't measure up to the % I was meant to perform the exercises with wts at.

Oh well, the important thing to remember is to hang tough and try your best. I did, but I am looking forward to doing better.

Hugs!

Nora

disk 4

Good evening Cathe and fellow STS peoples...

Finished disk 4 this morning before going to work. My shoulders were absolutely fried, trying to wash my hair afterwards was quite the bonus burn ;) I enjoyed this week much better than last as I have the timing of the breaks down which makes the workout flow much better.

By far the hardest parts of todays workout were the barbell 21's, both shoulder and biceps, and of course, the bicep curls with the bands attached. There is definitely no faking through the fact that one side is stronger than the other on the barbell bicep curls, when only the right side can still make it up and the left side hits failure, crooked barbells emerge. lol :)

Although my shoulders were pleasantly exhausted today at work, I did enjoy the fact that my biceps stayed pumped all day and that I can see and feel myself getting stronger each workout. :D

Have a good night everyone. Its time for sleep.

Mary

Cathe

I did disc 10 this morning and boy my shoulders, biceps and chest were screaming at me all day. Once again I did all the pushups on my toes and after every one I wanted to cry. I did chest flys (a first for me) with 20 lbs weights and I was proud of myself and I still wanted to cry.
I love the band work for the biceps, but 21s and drop sets are not my favorite words right now. I know I will love them again, but today, I have no love right now.

I hope your child feels better. My little 6 year old has strep throat but just got on meds to beat it now.

Don't forget to check in when you are done :)

My 7 yo has been sick the last couple days, so I've had to move STS to Tues., Thurs., Sat. this week. So, I get to do this one tomorrow. Crossing my fingers I can get up and workout and get my day off to it's normal start!

Hi Dani...way to work it tonight! For chest fly's try going slower. Do the reps to a 4/4 count (ignore my count). Also if you think you can go heavier, go up by around 3 or so pounds along with this slow count. Okay , so do 6 reps at this 4/4 count right into regular tempo reps for 10. See if that works!

Yeah! did disc 4 tonite! Wow... as if doing all those drop set pushup's was not enough the first time around, I did them again! I am still modifying these SO much!

Yeah Katie! that's so great you can do all those on your toes!!!

I'm finding that it is easier for me to do bicept curls with dumbbells rather than a BB due to some wrist and elbow issues, but those are doing great things for my arms!

those bow and arrows are killer! look harmless enough at first and you start with the 4 reps on the first side thinking "hey, these aren't that bad at all!" HA! then she get's you with 3 sets of 15! And after you do one side, you must do it to the other side, but you already know whats comming! :eek:

I'm still not feeling much in my chest with the flies... What could I be doing wrong... I am trying to retract my shoulders and make sure I'm lifting from my shoulders and chest and not my arms... still nothing... Maybe a suggestion for CatheTV?! :confused:

Also did the medicine ball abs! Yowza! wil be feeling that tomorrow as well! :)

feel a nice burn in the shoulders so STS must be doing something right!

bring it on!

I hope your child feels better. My little 6 year old has strep throat but just got on meds to beat it now.

Don't forget to check in when you are done :)

Cathe, hope your son is better soon. Mine had strep in October. He looked/acted like he was feeling better after about 1 dose of antibiotics and a good nights sleep. Said it didn't hurt to eat anymore after about a day and half on them. So, he should be feeling better quickly. But don't forget to finish the bottle!!!!

I am loving STS!!!!!! Thanks so much for the program. What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger, right?;)

Nan

Hi Reena! Way to go.....!!!

Ys, that is what Lorraine probably said. She says that to me all the time, but she still loves me :D How about you ;)

Bow and arrow work with the band - goodness gracious....that was hard work...crying at the end......
really digging the drop set push ups...still so-so (or menza-menza as my mom would say :) with the straddle push ups...my elbows are double jointed (weird, I know) so I just have a hard time on the board with that one....they automatically twist around lol
I am getting much better at managing break time in preparation of equipment for next exercise...I liked that 50% of the program was the same as week 1 - that helped with my improvements.
I definitely felt it more this week - struggling on the 21s front press ....
Definite improvement in the bootcamp style push ups.

I got the giggles when I thought I saw Lorraine say "that was mean" at one point in the disc after Cathe threw a bonus surprise at the end of an exercise...I could be wrong, but I think that is what she was saying :) I found it funny because I was thinking the same thing at that point.... :)

Doing consecutive workouts again this week, so off to legs now...have a good night and a great day tomorrow everyone.

Yes we are Iris!!!! Keep strong!

Hi Everyone,

I just got done with Disc 4 a few minutes ago. Oh my goodness. I have no strength left in my shoulders, lol. I loved the Bow & Arrow move. I had to skip the band with the Barbel curls. Just upped the barbell weight instead. My band is too short, lol.

Cathe, we are going to be in amazing shape by the time we're all done with STS. I am loving it so far :)

Hi Wendy! It doesn't matter. Just make sure your arm is comfortably supported so that you don't rock and swing. You can put a little "umph" behind the last few reps because as long as your arm is anchored there it is hard to get any real momentum going. Have fun!

This has been such a fun challenge! It is really starting to flow for me. Thanks to the workout card I am getting faster at being prepared for the next exercise, although there is still much rewinding in order. There are also times where I could have gone heavier, like today with chest flyes. I went back and did it over with a heavier weight.
This was a fun, fun, fun workout. Each time I look forward to the next. I am so happy to be right here enjoying this series.
A question about bicep concentration curls.....how much suppport do I give my working arm? I see the guys way down low almost behind the mid bicep and the girls seem like they are just supporting above the elbow. Dose it matter?
Thank you sincerely,
Wendy

I'll have to check into why this is happening to you goldenpath, but GREAT JOB ON THE WORKOUT ITSELF!!!!

WOW!!! I did disc 4 yesterday. Push ups were never ending.:eek: I feel stronger than disc 1 but my chest is really feeling it today. My biceps and shoulders are feeling it too. I was stretching in my sleep last night. Those staggered push-ups are dangerous. I enjoyed and really felt the Bow & Arrow w/band. They are awesome. My chest and arms were really floated during my workout.

When I did disc 1, the shakiness went away within 30 minutes but yesterday the shakiness did not leave. I could not do dishes, take the laundry down stairs, etc., I had to get help. :confused:

Barbell with band: At first I was scared that the band would break and each rep, I tried to go a little higher and those bands can actually stretch. :eek:

I have to say that I am enjoying reading everyone’s experience. It is so motivational. It is an amazing experience to being doing these DVD’s with everyone. I have never done workouts with anyone else at the same time.

Tomorrow, I do disc 5 and hopefully my arms will be able to pick up the weights.

Edited to add: Cathe once I complete my workout, the minutes, met value, and calories are not there. I have to enter the minutes and when I enter the calories, they disappear. Do you know what I could do to correct this.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.