Speaking of Kickboxing-DVD Advice

Since kickboxing seems to be the only cardio that my knee likes, I need more.

I have all of Cathe's kickboxing, Amy Bento's In the Ring and Kickbox Xtreme- both of these I really hate. It would take me months to learn them. I have Tracey Staehle's Strike Zone, which is too slow and easy.

I'm looking for something with the fun factor of KPC- challenging w/moves I can modify if I need to (bec. of my knee)

I'm considering the following:

Tracey Staehle's Cardio Sweatfest
CIA 2705: Kimberly Spreen- Absolute KBing with Combat Intervals
Billy Blank' s Ultimate Tae Bo
Kelly Coffey-Meyers 30 min. to Fitness- Kickboxing
Ilaria Montagnani- Powerstrike or Bodystrike (Which one?!?)
The Firm- Pump, Jump, and Jab

Any advice on the above would be great. If you have suggestions on others, that would be great.

Thanks! :)

If you're looking at Billy Blanks, get the Get Ripped series or Advanced Live (you'll have to eBay them). Ultimate TaeBo is OK, but not great if you're looking for a real cardio workout.

I used to be a TaeBo junkie pre-Cathe, so it's the only kickboxing that I really like.
I have Powerstrike from Ilaria, and I'm not a fan, although I know that others out here are.

I find her combinations repetitive and boring, and I really struggle with her accent. But that's just me.

melimcn- Thanks for the advice on the Billy Blanks workouts. I really like him! The Get Ripped and Advanced Live- are those older ones?

I love Powerstrike workouts, and best of all, they are pretty low impact. You do lots of kicking and punching, but it's all pretty low impact in my opinion. I also like Taebo. Taebo was my first introduction to kickboxing, and I still enjoy the workouts, but mostly they got old for me, and I only do them on occassion now, although I have a huge Tae-bo library, and know I will be going back to my favorite workouts eventually.

Other favorites of mine are Kimberly Spreen - Absolutely Kickboxing, and Kelley Coffey-Meyer's 30 Minute Kickboxing.

The only one I have from your list is Kelly's 30 Min Kickboxing, which is absolutely top notch. The kick box inspired ab work is in itself worth the price of the DVD.

I used to love the Tae bo Live Advanced Series and did it exclusively for Cardio for about two years. I havent bought any Billy in a long time. I have the impression that the Live is still his best.

I want Body Strikes but have yet to buy. I would choose it over Powerstrike simply because it seems unique. Dont know any other workout like it that combines lower body kick box with unweighted squat/lunge like moves for a combined cardio/strength session. There is also some barre inspired legwork sans a barre.

Tracey is having half off sale with code YAYA for yaya board members that you could use for her video.

Last edited:
Tracey's KBSF is very intense. It's also very basic, but it'll kick your booty.

Kimberley Spreen's is awesome. Not quite as intense, but unique, different & a ton of fun.

Powerstrike is tough too, but for some reason I could never get into those workouts. Something about how she breaks down the combos, it takes for-freakin-ever to get to the finished product, & it doesn't work well w/my ADD.

I don't have any of the others.

The only one I have on your list is Tracey S. KBSF. I love Strike Zone but I find Sweatfest to be too repetitive. Check out the clip on her site because it is a good deal now, and it is intense. I just find it a little tedious due to the repetition.

Thanks, ladies, for your replies. :)

Are there any other KBing workouts that you would suggest that aren't on my list?

Should I consider Amy Bento's Rumble, even though KBX and In the Ring didn't click w/me? I might try those two again this summer when I have more time to learn a workout instead of just do it. I guess that's what I'm looking for- pretty much just doing an intense workout w/o having to rewind all the time. I don't want to feel like I wasted my hour of workout time.

rumble is quite different then her other kickboxing. its basic punch/kick drills. there is a bag section but toni shows the workout without using the bag so its no big deal not to have it. the bag section isn't that long IIRC.

kassia

I love Rumble.

It is drill style - no fancy stuff to master.

The speed is slowish. I like that because you can really go deep on lower body moves like squat-to-kick and do upper body moves with the whole torso (I only get to throw from the arm if the workout is high-tempo).

The bag work is fun even though I dont have a bag. Nice moves!

I like the stretch on this.

If I were to pick from my personal collection I'd go with:
- Kelly's 30 minutes Kick Box
- Strike Zone from Tracey
- Amy's Rumble

With Kelly doing the tutorial once through is wise if you dont want to risk fumbling on the first time. It isnt complex but her transitions are new. I am a choreo klutz and I could do this one.

The Firm

I have Pump, Jump, 'n Jab and I really love it! It is not nearly as long or intense as Cathe, but still it is fun. I really love the instructor Kelsey. It's a great sweat in a short period of time. It will get the job done!

I'm with you on not really liking Amy's KB workouts, or Tracey's StrikeZone.

From the list above, I'd recommend Kelly Coffey-Meyers' workout (my current favorite), and Illaria's workout (Powerstrike--Bodystrike is lower body only).

The Firm workout is okay, but not as intense.

I haven't done Tae Bo for a long time (got tired of unevely-counted sides, incessant counting 1-8, and some too-fast kicks), but I think Ultimate is one of his better ones.

Tracey's is one I don't do often. I'm put off by her scowling, and the ending series of moves is very annoying because it's poorly cued, and there's a lot to it.

I like Kimberly Spreen, but haven't done that workout for a while. It has kickboxing followed by body-bar "combat" moves (though there's a premix that alternates betwen the two that I like better)..

Another I'd add to your list: Turbo Jam "Punch, Kick and Jam" (it's more athletic than most of her Turbo Jam workouts, so not much "Jam" but more "punch" and "kick").

HTH!

Are there any other KBing workouts
Should I consider Amy Bento's Rumble, even though KBX and In the Ring didn't click w/me?
I LOVE the bag segment in Rumble (a well-sequenced pattern of moves-- not 'dancy' and 'jumpy' like the bonus bag segment in one of her other workouts, but very athletic. I don't think it's as effective without the bag, though. The bag really ads intensity).

The rest of Rumble I liked when I first got it (probably because she didn't mix choreo in and make it 'KB-flavored hi-lo' like her other workouts), but I haven't done it for a while.

Last edited:
I love Ilaria's Powerstrike 5 and Bodystrike.
If you can get you hands on a Kenpo X (from the P90X series), that one is worth having. I like the drills and Tony is fun to workout with!

Speaking of bags, does anyone have one? I've been thinking about getting one for quite awhile now. I think I would get the one that you put the water or sand in at the bottom. Are these any good? I think they're around $100 or less on sale. I don't have a ton of room for one and I know they move around when you kick them but I believe they'd be really good for my legs. Has anyone gotten their legs in shape by using a bag?

Bam

I enjoy most of Michael Olajide's workouts. I like his everlast boxing workouts and aerojumps (this is a jump rope routine). I also really enjoy his Savage sand Serene- see description below.

Aerobox Savage - Taught by former world-ranked professional boxer Michael Olajide Jr., this hard-hitting professional-grade boxing workout sculpts the body like no other program. Interval jump rope burns massive calories and athletic lunge/squats tone the lower body like no other workout. (running time 57 minutes)

Bento's Rumble was Ok -but use it on a light day- there is not much intensity!

I find that KCM 30 minute kickboxing is intermediate. I like it for days when I don´t really feel like doing much, but still want to work out.

Speaking of bags, does anyone have one? I've been thinking about getting one for quite awhile now. I think I would get the one that you put the water or sand in at the bottom. Are these any good? I think they're around $100 or less on sale. I don't have a ton of room for one and I know they move around when you kick them but I believe they'd be really good for my legs. Has anyone gotten their legs in shape by using a bag?

Bam
I have a Wavemaster.
I don't use it often, but if I did, I'm sure it would get my arms and legs in shape faster.
I filled mine with water (and a bit of bleach), which I thought would be easier to empty if ever need be.
It's not too hard to move around: you just tilt it on its side and roll.
It doesn't stay in one place, but I remedy that by either working around it so I hit/kick it back into place, or by setting it up on a yoga mat, with my heaviest dumbbells behind it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.