Need mod for side-lying one-arm pushups

theclam

I'm looking for a modification or alternative for side-lying one-arm pushups. I can't do exercises that involve rolling across the hipbone. Even on puzzle mats, the pain of my hip grinding into the floor makes me scream (same for that pilates move where you lie on your side and lift both legs up sideways - OUCH!).

Any suggestions?

I'm looking for a modification or alternative for side-lying one-arm pushups. I can't do exercises that involve rolling across the hipbone. Even on puzzle mats, the pain of my hip grinding into the floor makes me scream (same for that pilates move where you lie on your side and lift both legs up sideways - OUCH!).

Any suggestions?

How about X-Body 1-Arm lying extensions? Just thinking of the angle of the tricep pushup .. I think you may want to mimic the angle as closely as possible. Even Standing X-Body Band Extensions might do it.

I'm also very uncomfortable on my side, to the point of pain at times. I was thinking of lying on a chair cushion next time to see if that helps. Hmmm, I wonder if I could work out something with my Bosu?

I'd recommend any of the following:
1) tricep push-ups (keep the arms close to your side, inner elbow pointed forward, and have the elbow joint skim the side of your body as you go down.
2) dips
3) lying tricep extensions (using a barbell, or using dumbells held either with palms facing each other, or facing each other at the bottom and turning to face forward at the top)
4) cross-body tricep extensions

I think the push-ups or dips or the barbell extensions would be best, as they have you lifting more weight, and the dumbell tricep extensions (which I otherwise love) would not allow you lift anywhere near the amount you would be pushing with the original exercise.

HTH!

I'm also very uncomfortable on my side, to the point of pain at times. I was thinking of lying on a chair cushion next time to see if that helps. Hmmm, I wonder if I could work out something with my Bosu?

Brilliant! Your comment about the Bosu reminded me that I had a DynaDisc (http://tinyurl.com/czexjd) out in the garage gathering dust. I just dug it out and gave it a try. Bingo. No more hip pain.

Of course, the added challenge of not falling off the disc is fun too. :cool:

Brilliant! Your comment about the Bosu reminded me that I had a DynaDisc (http://tinyurl.com/czexjd) out in the garage gathering dust. I just dug it out and gave it a try. Bingo. No more hip pain.

Of course, the added challenge of not falling off the disc is fun too. :cool:
Glad you found an alternative that works for you (and that makes the move even more challenging to boot!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.