Tone and getting rid of dangling areas of the body

Hadasa

Hi,

I'm working out a few times a week almost every day for 2 years. seen a lot of results, getting strong, lean, energetic...
but I 'll try to describe the issue.. my structure of my body is great but still dangling...especially in the glut area..
any idea? I see many women who hardly working out and so much more tuned and firm..
What can I do?

Thanks,
Hope to hear from you

You may wish to go for one of Cathe's Rock Bottom rotations. They are super tough but zero right in on the rear 'dangling' area!
https://cathe.com/?s=rock+bottom+rotation&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

As Cathe said this week in her blog article on exercise non-responders: "We each respond to exercise a bit differently based on factors like genetics. Plus, the type of training and the intensity of that training influences the extent of adaptations and how quickly they appear."

Diet, sleep, stress level, hydration level (lots of water!) and the balance of cardio (steady state/intervals) and the balance of resistance work (strength building/hypertrophy/endurance work with weights and body weight) all have to be taken into account for your body type. I'm an 'endomorph' body type (lose fat slowly and with effort) and so I've been working at those dangling bits for years! But I agree with Mariposa that you can't get away without doing the basics of squats, deadlifts, etc. with serious weight.

Good for you, Hadasa, for working out consistently. Glad you are getting some super results in strength, energy, etc.! Hang in there!:);)

Great advises have been given. I would add the importance of mind-muscle connection. While executing exercises, it is important
to put the mind to the working muscle to feel the activation. No wonder Glute is considered as the new brain!;);) Joking
Before doing the basic lunges, deadlift and squat, one need to pre-activate the rear using bands.
  • squat to the grass if you can with a heavy and light dumbbell or kettlebell. plié and sumo are also good.
  • Lunges do not get mentioned but these burn my glutes within seconds. Lunge need to be low
  • Bulgarian squat.
  • Hip thrust, glutes bridges.
Here is the article
https://cathe.com/happens-largest-strongest-muscle-body-weak
All the best:)

Hadasa, great tips here from Cathletes!!
Just thought I'd add this (long) and very informative reddit post! https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/1e72y5/reactivating_and_strengthening_the_gluteal_muscles/

I am repeating everyone, but it just cannot be said enough: Never be afraid to deadlift and find variations that your body wants. Seriously, your back and whole posterior chain will thank you!! I have scoliosis and deadlifting has helped so much. Secondary benefit? My wide rear is tauter and looks pretty good! ;) (I am never going to have a tiny bum or legs as per my genes!)

Elsie,
What kind of deadlifts do you do? I have a herniation at L5S1. My PT has told me that deadlifts are a no no. I have been warned that any hyper extension movement "shears" the spine.
I have only done Cathe style deadlifts. What type are you finding works for your condition? The kind that are a heavy lift off the floor?
I have been working long and hard to build my glutes, but am always fearful of further damaging my back and SI joint. I have not done any of Cathes deadlifts in over a year, and my back thanks me.
I would love to hear your thoughts, since you seem to be having positive results.
Thanks!

Elsie,
What kind of deadlifts do you do? I have a herniation at L5S1. My PT has told me that deadlifts are a no no. I have been warned that any hyper extension movement "shears" the spine.
I have only done Cathe style deadlifts. What type are you finding works for your condition? The kind that are a heavy lift off the floor?
I have been working long and hard to build my glutes, but am always fearful of further damaging my back and SI joint. I have not done any of Cathes deadlifts in over a year, and my back thanks me.
I would love to hear your thoughts, since you seem to be having positive results.
Thanks!

I have (congenital- discovered at 17 yrs) c-curve scoliosis starting at T4. I also have degenerative cervical/neck discs diagnosed at 24 yrs. And (geez this list is getting long! LOL) coccyx arthritis. So, not the same spinal areas as you have been managing. Honestly, I would get another opinion of a different PT or Occupational T before proceeding.
I started with a very specific DL - Jeffersons. This was my "rehab" phase DL's. Then I moved up to mainly single straight leg (not very heavy) and sumo block pulls (heavy - 4 reps max), while still incorporating Jeffersons. I don't have these blocks, so I used weight plates. Sumo block pulls emphasize the thoracic (and upper lumbar) spine.
I am very pleased that now I can execute nearly any DL (except close stance leg ones - do not have the mobility in my hips and ankles for it). DLs seriously helped me build up overall back stamina and strengthen my weak thoracic area. Along with therapeutic band work. Suspension training is optimal for this type of thing as well, but for some reason, my body just didn't respond so well to it. I kept hurting other areas like chest etc. I know I am being a hypocrite here cause my chiro rec no lifting. He said to go with suspension training and pilates only. I'd been practicing pilates already & kept it up although just for brief sessions (stabilized my uneven ribs). So, yeah, I went against advice & it worked out well for me, but if I would have hurt myself, then it would have been my own darn stubborn fault!!
If your back likes you more when you avoid DLs, hey, listen to it. But if not & you want to get back to them, you could just see another for a second opinion & take it from there. :) You've been dealing with back issues, so you know when to go slow.
Sorry for the long-windedness ....just felt it would be irresponsible not to give more of the story! lol.

https://www.dellanave.com/how-and-why-to-do-a-jefferson-deadlift/
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBSumoBlockPull.html

http://tonygentilcore.com/2015/06/rotation-helps-improve-si-joint-pain-a-doctor-even-says-so/

I am a long time (heavy) lifter who was recently diagnosed with severe degenerative disc disease (basically, NO disc left) at L4/L5. I have mild spinal stenosis. I've seen 4 surgeons. ALL recommend no deadlifts. That said, I have also read strength coaches on the subject. I continue to do RDLs (most of Cathe's deadlifts are this style), but I do not go heavy at all. I focus on technique. I also do 1-legged RDL with light weight or just bodyweight - very slowly. Also, cable RDLs. ... For glutes, a back-safe exercise are hip thrusts and glute bridges.
... and sometimes, those 'dangling' bits are just skin... They may be like a pimple or small bump on the skin - they seem much bigger to you than they do to the outside eye.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.