The cream in my coffee conundrum.....

story1267

Cathlete
I've been slowly but surely adjusting my eating habits towards a more clean style of eating.

Lately, I've been contemplating my coffee. I am not interested in giving it up - my morning cup (or 2) helps keep me sane. I've made the switch from Splenda to stevia and that's just fine.

But the trouble remains.... How can I have lovely creamy coffee without cream? I've used the fat-free half and half but I know it's loaded with fake stuff. There are just so many fat grams in the light cream that DF uses (I have to avert my gaze when he pours it in - he uses so much and it tastes so good but I know it's pretty bad! LOL).

I used to use BSN Lean Dessert sometimes in my coffee but I'm trying to get away from dairy somewhat. I was feeling like it was causing breakouts. I seem to be ok with cottage cheese, greek yogurt, etc. I could be wrong but that's the feeling I get. I have brown rice protein powder but that is neither creamy nor delicious......

So, what do you do? Stick with the cream because it's relatively real? Go without? (ack! yuk! :p) Substitute with something I haven't thought of yet? Dairy? Non-dairy? I don't know!

Suzanne, it is funny that you should mention this. Cream in my coffee was one of my vices. WAS is the key word here. I decided in January to clean up my diet and creamer was a goner. I can't say that I feel so much better without it, but my body is finally changing and my pants are falling off. I now use a teaspoon of honey in my coffee. Works for me! Good luck chickie!

Not sure exactly how much healthier this is, or even if you'd like it, but I use a packet of the Swiss Miss Diet hot chocolate in my coffee. It's really chocolaty to me, so you could easily just use half a packet for a normal mug. 1 packet is 25 calories and I believe it does have the benefits of calcium and some other vitamins to make you feel better about it ;)
Heather

Oh, Melissa, I have a sad feeling that you are 100% on the money. If I want real results I'll have to give it up.

I did find this.....

http://mimiccreme.com/

And I can get it at a grocery store that isn't too far from DH's. I guess it's worth a try.

Heather, I like your idea. Chocolate is one of my favorite things of all, but I have a feeling that the mix probably has artificial sweetner in it.

However, that may be an idea..... with my stevia maybe I could stir in a little cocoa powder to distract me from my lack of creaminess....:(

Oh, Melissa, I have a sad feeling that you are 100% on the money. If I want real results I'll have to give it up.

I did find this.....

http://mimiccreme.com/

And I can get it at a grocery store that isn't too far from DH's. I guess it's worth a try.

Heather, I like your idea. Chocolate is one of my favorite things of all, but I have a feeling that the mix probably has artificial sweetner in it.

However, that may be an idea..... with my stevia maybe I could stir in a little cocoa powder to distract me from my lack of creaminess....:(

Well...Looks like I will try this! FANTASTIC!

I am a FF 1/2 n 1/2 girl & will NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS give up my creamy coffee! Its my last vice in life and I shall not give in!!! :D

I'll be ordering it on-line since theres no place that carries this in my city yet.
THANKS FOR THE LINK!!!!! The main thing for me is dairy makes me bloaty - I bet this will take care of that! YEAH!!!!

is the bit of cream in your coffee really enough to prevent you from losing weight?? it just seems like such a small trivial thing. it seems like bordering on obsession, no offense!

So, what do you do? Stick with the cream because it's relatively real? Go without? (ack! yuk! ) Substitute with something I haven't thought of yet? Dairy? Non-dairy? I don't know!

YIKES!!!!!!! just have a bit of cream in your coffee and LIVE LIFE!!! lol.. as long as your diet is clean, the cream won't matter..

Speaking for me, it was becoming a problem...creamed coffee*12 cups a day...way too much junk for my trunk.

is the bit of cream in your coffee really enough to prevent you from losing weight?? it just seems like such a small trivial thing. it seems like bordering on obsession, no offense!

YIKES!!!!!!! just have a bit of cream in your coffee and LIVE LIFE!!! lol.. as long as your diet is clean, the cream won't matter..

12 cups a day??? wow! i thought i was a caffeine addicts at 2-3 cups a day...

ok i see how the creamer calories would add up.

Yeah...I was definitely a caffeine junky...maybe that is where the kidney stones came from?! LOL! Now I am not only off the creamer but I am down to a 4 cup a day (4 tsp of honey) habit. :)

Marnapril, I hear ya! If it comes right down to it I'll stick with the cream and suck it up.

To me, I love my morning hit of caffeine and I don't usually have more than 4 coffee-maker cups (what a goofy way of measuring coffee anyway - those "cups" are more like shots!).

I used to drink massive amounts - Melissa I'd have been right there with you with the 12 cups! I had an insulated mug I'd pop into the microwave to warm up (bad, I know) but then microwaves got smaller and it wouldn't fit! I knew it was time to make a change........

But, when you're cleaning things up the things you do that aren't particularly clean start to stand out. So, I was mostly looking for some kind of alternative that would be clean-er.

I might try that mimicreme - or I might switch to half and half - or I might do nothing.

But I love hearing what everyone has to say about it all. :D

I hope that Traci will come back and post her experience with the mimicreme.

Can't drink my coffee without Soy silk creamer vanilla. Without it, I forego coffee. Creamy with some sweetness - no kind of sugar needed.

Hi Cockatiels, I've been avoiding soy milk for a while. I tried it several years ago because I know I'm lactose intolerant and couldn't give up my Spoon Size. The soy made me really puff up for some reason. Either I was using too much or I'm sensitive to it or something. But it's another option to try if I can find a small container and a product that hasn't been outrageously modified.

Speaking for me, it was becoming a problem...creamed coffee*12 cups a day...way too much junk for my trunk.

omg! you must be my long lost coffee lover twin! I drink 8-10 a day and anyone I tell is so surprised. I figured no one drank as much as me... I've gotten to the point I'm pretty much immune to caffeine and stimulants.

anyway. yeah that cream adds up when you drink as much as us.

those mimicremes have me interested, If anyone tries them, please post and let us know how they compare!

I use a little vanilla soy milk instead of cream right now.

Cendrine, it's on my "list". Money's a little tight right now for frills like this but as soon as I can I'll pick some up and let you know my opinion.

So, what do you do? Stick with the cream because it's relatively real? Go without? (ack! yuk! :p) Substitute with something I haven't thought of yet? Dairy? Non-dairy? I don't know!

Blue Diamond almond milk is surprisingly creamy and milk like in flavor.

I'm a die hard dairy lover, but I tried the Blue Diamond almond milk just to try it, and its pretty good. I really like it much better then soy milk and rice milk. There is original and chocolate flavored, and both flavors are also available unsweetened.

On the other hand, if your only having 1 -2 cups of coffee a day, and the rest of your diet is getting better, a little cream in your coffee isn't going to hurt you. And, technically, cream is a "clean eating" food. It is relatively unprocessed and close to the natural state of the food product, which is what one should look for. It is also cleaner then fat-free cream which has additives. And from a nutritional stand point you are supposed to get a certain amount of naturally occurring fat in your diet to maintain optimal health.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.