STS STS 3.5 Mo.-Is Anyone Else Doing This?

In addition to nckfitheart2009's excellent advise, I would suggest possibly taking an anti inflammatory as well as icing the back area. My husbands doctor recommended this when he hurt his back badly last year. Take Care

Great advice Nathalie and Zenara. Glad you are taking some time off Jen and you will be feeling better soon! Please keep us updated!

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll be honest, I am very depressed today. I can't believe how much pain I am in. It has been more than a decade since I have suffered from back pain like this and I really truly believed working out and lifting weights had fixed my back problems forever and now here I am--I can barely bend over. Getting out of bed, using the bathroom, showering--everything is painful.

I don't mean to be a whiner, I am just not used to this. My husband is so afraid I am going to workout anyway and make it worse, but honestly--I can't! I want to workout, trust me, but I am physically incapable right now and that is what is so depressing to me. I cannot even do yoga! WTC?!?! How did this happen?

Anyway, I got through work okay yesterday, even though I was in pain; they do supply us with very comfortable ergonomic chairs and desks that raise and lower so I was able to alternate between sitting and standing. Plus I took tramadol, which really helps. I loathe taking any kind of meds unless absolutely necessary and unfortunately, this is a case of absolutely necessary. After work I alternated icing and heating my back. I did not get up at 4:30am and attempt to workout this morning :(. I slept an extra hour, hoping the extra sleep would aid in the healing process. My lower back, shoulders and cervical spine (shoulders and cervical spine were injured on Monday--yay me!) are all worse today. <sigh> I considered calling in sick, but unfortuntely, though I have tons of sick time since I never get sick, no one does my work when I am not there--it just continues to grow, so I came in anyway. I may go home early though.

So my spine is forcing me to not workout at all. Once I am able to actually bend over without wanting to cry, I will try to do some yoga, then maybe Cathe's Ride. I remember, all those years ago, that I did not get over back problems quickly, so I don't know how long this is going to last. I am so very depressed about it tho. Today just feels so wrong without my morning workout. :(

Jen you are not I repeat not whining!! You are in tremendous pain and still went to work - that's one tough woman!! And of course your feeling depressed - your in constant pain your routine is off you have no idea when it's going to end - this back injury has seriously messed up everything. You would be crazy to not be sad - exercise is a part of who you are of course you miss it.

I hope you feel better soon - definitely keep up the anti imflammatories ( Motrin,etc) ice, heat, and stretching, you will get through this. And sts will be there when you do. I'm hoping your body will heal faster because of the terrific shape your in. I'm sending prayers and healing vibes your way

HANG IN THERE- it's super frustrating but this wont last forever - hugs !

Thanks fej327--it is actually somewhat better today. I took Wed. off, no workout. I did Yoga Relax yesterday and got through it ok, but then as the day went on it go so bad I had to leave work early. I came home, took a muscle relaxer and tried to relax, but was uncomfortable/in pain all day. But oddly, I slept better last night and when I got up this morning there was a significant improvement. Not so much that I can even attempt to workout normally--still lots of pain, but I can do more. So I did Yoga Max this morning. Even tho I am not even breaking a sweat with these yoga workouts, it feels good (mentally at least) to be doing something. If all goes well today, I will try Ride tomorrow.

I don't know if I will be able to start back up with STS on Monday but I want to. If I do, I will change my cardio around from the high impact/plyo I had planned to low impact cardio.

How is Meso 3 going for you?

Meso 3 is good - I like the heavy weights but I'm shortening the breaks - these are long workouts for sure.

Just wanted to check before I head out how's your back?? Any improvement? Fingers crossed you're moving in the right direction. Stay tough Jen you'll get through this!!

Hello! My spine is doing much better--more on that in a moment.

I have a question (for both fej327, labnick and anyone else popping over) about the long rest periods in Meso 3. In Meso 2, Cathe frequently comments on the importance of the rest periods and taking the entire length of the rest periods. Isn't that the case as well in Meso 3? If you are lifting 85-90% of your 1RM, then don't your muscles need that longer rest? I'm just asking because it seems like she based these workouts on science. I know lifting 75%-80% of my 1RM, at least as it is laid out on the workout cards, is very difficult. I struggle sometimes to get out all the reps and fail often--but the good fail, on the last 1-2 reps. I won't lie, I'm a little scared of 85%-90% of my 1RM. It seems like a longer rest would be needed after lifting that heavy. I just want to know your thoughts on what you ladies think of the science. Did you shorten it just for time-crunch purposes? Or do you not think such a long rest is necessary? And if it's the latter, are you doing 1RM? I guess I'll have a better idea when I actually do the Meso 3 workouts and can comment better then, but so far, at least as far as I've gotten in STS, it seems the science is pretty sound.

As for my back, it is so much better! I am still not at 100%, but such a drastic improvement. I did Ride yesterday w/out a problem. I don't own a spin bike; mine is a recumbent bike, so my back was naturally protected. I don't think Ride on a spin bike out have been conducive for my back healing, but it is still a great workout in my recumbent. It felt really good both mentally and physically to finally get in an intense workout again. I am taking today off--it is my usual rest day, so I decided to stick with it to give my back one more rest day, then tomorrow I am going to try to start up STS again, basically where I left off. In the end I'll be doing Disk 22 three times, but that's ok. I am changing my cardio this week to low impact cardio: All Out Low Impact HIIT, Cardio Supersets and Afterburn. No doubles. And I am squelching my original plan to do a short HIIT workout after Disks 22 and 24 (since they are both only 43 minutes). However, I may add on an Ab Circuits. Surely that could only be good for my back right? I haven't been keeping up with my ab work through STS like I usually do. During Meso 1 I did Ab Circuits 1-2x a week, but then just stopped doing it altogether in Meso 2. So maybe I need to get back to working my abs again.

Hi ladies!

Glad you are doing better jengollf! Good to hear. I have a spin bike and my husband has a recumbent. Never thought to try ride out on the recumbent. Good idea.

As far as the rest time on meso 3 I completely understand why Cathe has the rest time and when you are lifting heavy you do need this. I did not do the 1rm so I am sure I was not lifting as heavy as I could have been had I did the 1rm. So I felt I could shorten the rest a bit especially when it went over 60 seconds. Most times I cut it down to 45 seconds. If I was lifting what I should have been then I most likely would have waited the entire rest time. All and all I felt I received great results and I am extremely happy with the results. I plan on doing STS again in the fall and will do it the exact same way other than I am planning the 6 month rotation!

Good luck!!!!!

Jen - so glad to hear your back is better!! Hopefully you've turned the corner and will back to 100% soon. I think working abs is a great idea. I have my surgery on Thursday so I've done the first 2 weeks of Meso 3, then I figure I'll repeat week 2 and pick up from there. As for the breaks, on some exercises I'm a couple of pounds less because I don't have the heavier weights and I'm only shortening the breaks by about 20 seconds. So far it's working, and like labnick I have seen great results.

I'm a little bummed I'm getting sts interrupted by more medical crap but i will stay focused and finish. My doctor has said no working out for a week but I'm going to just play it by ear. So I'm planning if no bumps to pick up sts at then end of next week which will be 6 days and I'll start slow. I don't think they're used to people like us who exercise everyday.

Labnick what rotation or workouts are you doing now?? I'm itching to bust out those insanity DVDs !!

I'm there with you fej327--having our workouts/rotations interrupted by medical stuff just sucks. However, I will say, at least the interruptions are brief--for both of us. Back in 2009 when I was in the middle of P90X I was hit head on by a drunk driver and both my heels were shattered (among many other broken bones, but the heels were the worst). That put me out of commission for a very long time and it was more than a year before I was able to do P90X again. But the important thing is, I did follow my doctor's orders, so I was eventually able to do P90X again--as well as Insanity and many other intense workouts. So it is important to listen to your body and your doctor.

It looks like we may both be in Meso 3 together, at least a week or 2! I start Meso 3 August 12 now. It was originally supposed to be August 5, but the spine snafu threw that off.

I'm still not 100% but close. It's odd because I can still feel an odd "pulling" in my lower back and cervical spine, but it doesn't limit me any longer. I am back at STS this week. I did Disk 22 yesterday and Disk 23 Legs today. I think I like this Meso 2 Legs workout the best. And the wall squats are nothing like the dreaded Meso 1 wall squats! I like these much better! I am also sticking with low impact cardio this week and next week before I pump it back up. I'm also sticking with mostly low impact stuff my recovery week. When I start Meso 3 I plan to HIIT it up again. :D

In Meso 2 I ventured outside of Cathe workouts for the first time in a long time for my cardio. Now that I hurt myself, I find myself wanting to return to Cathe only workouts. It is somehow comforting. I did All Out yesterday with Core #1 and my glutes are so sore this morning! Then I did Legs this morning--ouch! I pretty much scheduled nothing but Cathe from here on out until I finish STS. The only non-Cathe workouts I have scheduled are my Saturday workouts and if I start doing doubles again.

Last edited:
Jen - still amazed how you battled back from that horrific accident!! IMPRESSED!! You're right I need to listen to my body - if you hadn't you could have done permanent damage to your back/neck. Now your almost back, so I'm realizing its better to slow down short term rather than risk really getting hurt. Glad you are feeling better!! Pain like that is scary. Excited we might be Meso 3 together :). And aren't the wall squats a million times better lol I agree - since I'm unsure what my body can handle I've been staying with cathe. Not only is it comforting, but know which ones are lower impact and which I can modify. I miss hit though and looking forward to doubles again!!

Labnick how's life without sts??

Hi ladies!

Jengollf...so glad to hear you are on the mend. What a crazy thing to happen. Glad you are feeling better. Unbelievable with that accident. You are so fortunate to go thru something so horrific and make a complete recovery. Amazing the strength you have.

Fej...life without STS has been an adjustment! Kind of fumbled with workouts not really settling into a rotation. I would start one rotation and not really enjoy it...then start another only to change my mind again. I did finally find something that seems to be sticking. Started with Focus T25 workouts in the morning and then P90x (weight workouts only) in the evenings 3x a week. After doing STS never did I think I would do P90X again and yet here I am and I am enjoying it! Weekends it is anything goes. I really like T25. Love that it is only 25 minutes and very intense for those 25 minutes.

Jen hope you are 100% soon and fej I wish you the best with with your surgery and a speedy recovery!

Hi girls !! Thursday went smooth - very glad it's over. Did a lot of walking Friday and Saturday - felt really good to be moving. Okayed to lift today so I did legs week 2 squat rack but I went a little light. It went well but I was more winded than I should have been. So will stay light this week with lifts.

Labnick that sounds like a great rotation. I have p90x but I've never really stuck to it becuz I get bored. Mixing it up with t25 is a great idea. I usually do weights in the morning but I've been thinking of switching it up and doing cardio in the morning, before it gets hot. 25 minutes would be perfect before work.

Jen I hope your back is completely healed. For next week I'll be sticking to low impact too, and staying with all cathe. I want familiar while I'm on the mend.

Hope your weekend was great ladies!! Did you watch and live streaming video of the classes/road trip? I loved it!!

Wow fej327--you're already back lifting! Glad you're taking it easy tho. Also glad to hear the procedure when smooth. Where are you in Meso 3? This is my last week of Meso 2--repeating the final trio or workouts. Then a recovery week. I debated whether to take a recovery week or not, since I had an unplanned recovery week just a week ago. But even tho my lower back is 100% now, but cervical spine isn't. So I'm going to take that recovery week and hopefully my neck/shoulder area will get back to normal.

Jen I'm going to have take recovery week. I'm winded too much so I will be starting Meso 3 on aug 5. I'm taking antibiotics and other crap and I will be done with that today. So hopefully we will start Meso 3 at the same time. No soreness of any other issues but TIRED so I'm trying to listen To my body - next week I will skip doubles and only do one w/o a day. I thi k my body will like it. I will do yoga if I'm too antsy lol but want to try t25!!!

I'm glad you're listening to your body. We have to do that! I know I am raring to do double sagain, but I am making myself wait until I actually start Meso 3. Though I of course have to finish out the week, today was my final Meso 2 workout. This week I was back to using the correct weights to finish out Meso 2--80% of my 1RM even for deadlifts. Next week is my recovery week and the following week, if all goes well, Meso 3 with HIIT cardio + doubles. I decided to do my doubles more intelligently. Since I will be doing HIIT workouts for my cardio days, then on cardio days my doubles will be yoga (I never do that for doubles) and on my strength days I will do a normal cardio (intense but not HIIT/tabata/plyo intense) or core/ab work. So maybe, with Meso 3, I can round everything out nicely.

That's the plan at least! Sometimes I tend to do HIIT workouts with plyo too close together I think. You need a break from plyo just like you do from strength training. So I'm going to try to do it right.

Ok Jen started Meso 3!! Upset because my weight is up 5 lbs - I had some meds to take after surgery and I think it's caused some water weight - went up 4/5 lbs overnight boo! So I've hit Meso 3 hard and doubles every day . Even walked an extra 5000 steps yesterday - felt good nice weather so just added an evening walk. How is your neck?? I hope you are Bach to 100 %.
:)

Labnick how's that p90 and Shaun t treating you??

Hi Ladies! I am loving T25 and the p90x workouts! My legs are really slimming down.:D I am into my 4th week and still have the fun factor. Which is amazing for me! Next week is my last week of the Alpha Phase then it is on to Beta. Next week I am on vacation and will be bringing my workouts with me to continue on. For weights it works out I will be in recover week for p90x. Pure coincidence with this! I do plan on bringing Travel Fit with me though and will do this a couple times.

How are you both feeling? Sounds like you both have picked up the pieces and continuing on!

Hello ladies! Recovery week is over and this week starts Meso 3 finally! However, since Chest and Back is such a long workout I had to readjust my workout schedule so that I am doing that one on Saturdays. So this morning I did 40/20 HIIT and Ab Circuits Pilates Abs. Tomorrow I do Shoulders, Biceps & Triceps. I'm also not getting back to doubles until next week. We're moving my daughter into her college dorms this week, so I want to spend time after work with her rather than working out. Plus, I'll have to take off work a few days for the move, so I'll just do longer workouts those days--tack the "double" onto the end of the regular workout.

How is it going fej327? Did the water weight gain disappear? My neck is better, but I still can't get rid of a chronic ache in the right side. The recovery week did help though.

Labnick--so glad to hear you're loving the T25 workouts. I really want those--even more now! Did you get the gamma month, too? I haven't done P90X in so long. I'd like to go back to it (not for a full 90 days tho) but I really need to do P90X2 first! I have had that one forever and still not done it.

Hi all!!
I am still struggling with those 5 pounds - I was on prednisone (steroid) and so far they haven't budged. And I've eaten super clean - annoyed!! I'm back to doubles trying to make them move. We'll see - hate stupid meds,

I'm loving Meso 3!! I've done legs and chest and back. Someone actually commented on my back yesterday - I was grinning like a fool! I'm doing HIIT mostly trying to get mu body back on track. Plus I like that they're shorter.

Jen - gad ur neck is so improved! Smart to go slow - you do not want to injure it again. Congrats on moving your daughter into her dorm - it's hard. I still miss my son.

Labnick - glad to hear t25 is a great workout. I have p90x but never finished it. That sounds like a great combo!!

I'm officially med free today so fingers crossed the scale moves! Have a great week ladies!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.