STS first time!

Rachel what did you think? I like the format more than meso 1. I am not sure I felt like it was enough though. When it ended I was like, that's it? I liked all the rest in the beginning, but at the end I felt like it was too long. I needed it after bench press. Mine was soooo heavy. I actually had to lower it for the other sets of bench presses.
Marie, did you start too? I forget who else is starting. Do the tickers!!!

So far not sick, although I can tell my body is fighting it. I really enjoyed disk 13! I think I hit a max weight for the chest flys - I started to feel a warning twinge in my elbow:( I'll have to be careful, I don't want to mess up a tendon or something. Sometimes the weight between exercises was a little long, but I was glad not to be running around trying to find my next weight - you can only prepare so many ahead of time. I liked the format of going from one muscle group to another as well, it's the first time I've done a workout like that before. I'm curios to see how that works for legs tomorrow.

~R

Well, I finally got to disc 10 today. I was going to try and do it last night but I should know better by now. If I don't get my work out in the morning, it just doesn't happen! Unfortunately I started to run out of time and had to pause the disc at the 45 minute mark, change clothes, get my son on the bus and drive my daughter to her 4K. 30 minutes later, I was able to finish the rest of the disc:eek:. Not ideal, I know. On the plus side, I didn't skip any of the push ups like I was sort of planning on!:)
On that note Linda, I think there were about the same number of push ups in disc 10 as disc 7. I think it just seemed like so many because I was dreading it!:p
Colleen

Just finished Disc 13. I really liked it, felt good to lift heavier weights although the rest periods got a bit long for my liking. I like how Cathe mentioned how important they are though. I really tried to focus on stretching between sets. My barbell and turbo tower are AMAZING...just sayin'.....I really LOVE them and am so glad I have them for Meso 2. Hoping for some DOMS like yours tomorrow Carolyn :) I'm jealous lol!

Well now to my dentist story...what a night it was. Had my appt at 5 and as the dentist was poking around at my teeth to see which one had the pain I felt the most pain I have ever felt in my whole life....I haven't given birth so I can't compare it to that...but regardless it was HORRIBLE. She proceeds to tell me my tooth broke and that I would need a root canal. Hmmm lovely, just lovely. She numbs me up and sends me off to another dentist who can take care of this. Now I feel like I take fairly good care of my teeth- I brush 3 times a day, floss a couple times a week (needless to say I will be flossing every day now), go to the dentist every 6 months, and use ACT mouthwash every night. Anyways, I head to this other dentist and didn't leave his office until 9:30pm....let's just say it was bad! Quotes from the dentist- "This is one angry tooth......The fight is getting hard now.....I thought this would be an easy one, but I was wrong." Real nice guy and great assistant, but man was that hell! So glad it's over. I have to go back in 2 weeks for a check-up to see how it's healing and then back again after that to get the crown on (at least I think that's what he called it...I'm not too familiar with root canals and was so out of it when I left that I wasn't paying much attention.) So that's my dental story...what a day! Wish I could have just fast forwarded right through that one. Good news though- the pain is gone, just a slight achy feeling where the work was done.

Oh and thanks for posting those recipes ladies. I plan on trying both of them. My DH and I LOVE sweet potatoes.

Talk to you all soon :)

Heh- yeah trying to work out while my kids get ready is pretty ridiculous. You should see me. Imagine me in the middle of alternating shoulder presses calling from the bedroom "did you brush your teeth yet?" "no" Brush your teeth! Argh!!". Some days it goes more smoothly than others.:eek: I really need to get up at least 30 minutes earlier. I am just sooo groggy in the morning, it's unbelievable! You would think after 2 years of getting up to work out I could manage to get up a little earlier!

As far as your hip pain, I'm not sure what to tell you Carolyn. Do you think it's a pulled muscle or a spasm? I find if I have a spasm taking magnesium with some ibuprofen helps a lot. Sometimes I get neck or lower back spasms, and when I'm stressed out sometimes my jaw clenches and I get a headache. The magnesium helps to relax the muscle and the ibuprofen helps with the pain. If it's not muscular though, I don't know...

Oh man, Marie, that story about your awful dental experience had me cringing! Yikes! I'm glad your feeling better!

Boy, we've been really slow at work today...I'm on the forums alot!:p

I felt like such a looser today. I could only get about 2/3 the way through disk 14. Ugh!:( I think I need to stick with lighter weights overall in the leg workouts instead of powering up with heavy ones at the start and wearing myself out too quickly.

Carolyn- I was thinking if it is your sciatic nerve maybe you could try a chiropractor? I don't know if you normally use one but I remember a few years ago while I was pregnant I had trouble with my lower back and sciatic nerve pain down my left leg. My midwife recommended this chiropractor in town and she was phenomenal! A few adjustments and I really had significant improvement. I've also noticed that since I started working out (especially with strengthening my core), I have less lower back problems.

Rachel-I never even did the one rep max for most of the leg exercises. I'm thinking I'm going to keep the weights moderate on those rather than trying to go really heavy. I love to work my lower body though, so I'm making sure to have another leg focused workout in my week (even if it's more cardio based, like Afterburn). I like some weighted work with my legs but also really like plyometrics and body weight exercises for the lower body.

I did Cardio Supersets today (the premix with the step). As much as I love weight training for what it does for my body (looks and strength), nothing makes me feel happier than cardio.:D I feel like I can tolerate stressful situations so much better after a cardio session...like nothing can bring me down! Cardio really is my first love (and you know what they say about first loves!:p)

I hope you guys have a great day!
Colleen

Jen- I noticed that you were going on the road trip too! Have fun! I have to admit one reason I'd be nervous to go is because I do most of my work outs barefoot. I have this repulsion for shoes. I don't know what it is but I just don't feel like I have the proper proprioception and balance when I wear shoes and I really have an easier time doing all moves (even most high impact) barefoot. I have a nice cushy puzzle mat that I work out on to absorb impact and I've been doing it long enough (and started out slow enough) that I've strengthened the muscles in my feet and ankles nicely. In fact, whenever I try to wear sneakers to work out my knees act up! Soooo...all this to say if I had to work out in front of Cathe I'd probably trip over myself like a goon because I would have to wear sneakers! :eek:

You guys are making nervous for Meso 2 legs! :eek:
Linda- what disc are you on? If I remember right we're pretty close on our schedule. Tomorrow for me is disc 11, back and triceps.
Later girls!

Hello, everyone.

This has been my rest week, so I have doing Tonique downloads and step workouts from Shock Cardio. I did Tonique Premier Monday and it's, ummm...different. It's done with a voice over and there is a lot of appearance talk. Some of it's kind of funny, because it's an English woman and she says stuff like, "Just think of all the attention you will get from your rear." and "Ask HIM what he thinks of your new rear." She says it in this really saucy voice. There isn't really a warm up and the cool down just flowing movements.

Marie-I had a feeling you needed a root canal when I read you had an abcess. The same thing happened to me about 3 years ago. I had to go to an endo to get what I thought was going to be a root canal, but my tooth was cracked vertically, so they pulled the tooth and I got a dental implant.

CArolyn- I hope you're feeling better, so sounds like you pulled a muscle?

Colleen-I was working out barefoot over the summer. I was doing my Ilaria DVDs, Jari Love DVDs, Cathe DVDs barefoot. I wouldn't do stuff like HiiT or Imax 3 barefoot, but I did Kick Max, Muscle Max, BodyStrikes barefoot.

I had been doing STS barefoot, too. I used shoes for legs, but I noticed that my balance is poor lately and I wonder if's because I'd gone back to shoes. I don't like to do stuff with a step barefoot, b/c I'm kind of sweaty.

Rachael- Maybe you can try lighter weights? I kept switching weights, going higher, lower in M1. Heck, I can't do the wall squat pick ups. Whatever works for you.

Hey guys! Things have been a but crazy for me the past few days...I've checked in to read but I've had no time to write.
Anyway... But I've been on my active recovery week. I did Athletic Training, Cyclemax, Bootcamp, Power Yoga (Jeanette Jenkins), Total Body Trisets, and tomorrow will be some sort of cardio & abs. Saturday is the start of Meso2. From what you girls are saying, I'm thinking I might like the upper body workouts better than Meso1. So I'm getting excited to start! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)
Marie - I didn't try for the Chicago trip. But I will try for the NJ one next week. ;)

Very cool it is working Marie!!
What a good idea to put the weights on your shoulders. Why didn't I think of that?!:eek:
My hip is ok. Just ok. I hope I didn't make a mistake doing legs today. I am supposed to run tomorrow but might cycle instead. I will see how I feel in a.m. Might not be able to move. My quads are feeling some DOMS already.

Carolyn - so how are you feeling today? Is your hip alright? I am stiff all over!

Hi girls!
I did Disc 11 today (only 1 more to go in Meso 1!). I love to work the back! I swear I stand up straighter on days when I do back work. Maybe it's just because I'm more conscious of it. I'm still struggling with my 1 rep max's...sometimes I feel like I have to drop the weight down, like I over estimated. I did that a few times with triceps today. I wound up with muscle failure before the last 2 reps a few times. I saw on another thread Carolyn how you had mentioned you don't print out your workout sheet until a few days before your workout...that's smart:eek:. I have all my sheets printed out through Meso 3 and I'm pretty sure I'll have to reprint quite a few!

I'm thinking tomorrow I might do Circuit Blast....I can't quite decide though. :)

Have a great night ladies!

Colleen - I've noticed that too...that the target weights on my card seem slightly high. I figure it's probably because Cathe wasn't holding me to a certain pace/count as I was doing the 1RM tests. Plus, with all the reps in Meso1 (yikes) I think it's understandable that we cant keep the weights too high through the whole workout. I think we should just use the cards as a guideline and adjust as needed to make it work best for us.

Hellooooooooooo!

I had to take an extra day off, so I just finished disk 8 today. I'm just a bit behind you, Colleen.

I do think that STS seems to be flying by. I could hardly believe that next week is my last week of meso 1. I bought STS when it first came out and the dvds had been sitting collecting dust all of that time. Now I'm wondering what I was so scared of. I just needed to get the ball rolling (so to speak).

Today was Circuit Blast! :) Such a fun workout. I forgot how much high impact there is but luckily my rebounder worked really well for those tuck jumps and frog hops. I even used it for some of the warm up.
I'm so glad you guys are liking the chicken/sweet potato soup! :D Did you guys notice how the sweet potatoes have almost a silky like texture in that recipe? Mmm, yummy!
Well, gotta run. I'll pop in later and write more. Have a great Friday ladies!
Colleen

Meso 2 starts tomorrow!

I am psyched and ready to start Meso 2 tomorrow! Yesterday I did the 47 min "Cardio Supersets Express + Step" premix and ended it will the planks & abs from Turbo Barre. That made a nice combo. Loved it!

Today is my off-day...yay!

I'm taking off of work Monday-Wednesday next week to do a punch of painting. It will be interesting to see how my upper body (and forearms) will be screaming at me! yikes

Hope you ladies have a nice weekend!

Wow, Jean! That is impressive that you got into the top 10. :cool: I really need to start working cardio back in. I do think that checking out my progress on the map is interesting.

Colleen: On the topic of cardio, I saw that you use a rebounder some of the high impact cardio. I have a rebounder but haven't quite figured out how to smoothly incorporate using it into workouts yet. I've just used it mostly for jogging. I certainly need it for high impact moves!

Leane: Can't wait 'til I get to meso 2. Painting is in my near future, too. I have a cat who has decided that wallpaper is a good substitute for a scratching post. :mad: So, I'll have to strip the wallpaper and paint.

To answer your question Carolyn a rebounder is a mini trampoline, and it's a lot of fun!:D I just got mine in December (I told my husband that was what I wanted for Christmas instead of jewelry...he thinks I'm nuts!). I went all out and spent the money on a Jumpsport trampoline (the JS 250). It's got elastic cords instead of hard springs so the bounce is much softer.

Supposedly bouncing on a mini trampoline has all kinds of benefits, like it helps with lymphatic drainage I guess. Some people just do gentle bouncing a a few minutes a day for that. I like to use it for a lot of the high impact moves in my dvds like tuck jumps, frog hops, jumping jacks/air jacks, cross country ski moves, etc. Basically anything that would normally kill my knees I take to the rebounder. I keep it leaned against the wall vertically so it's out of the way and then when I get to a spot on a work out that I want to use it for I can really quickly move it horizontal (to the floor) to use it. It's really light and easy to do that with.

Say Linda, or anyone else who has one of these, do you guys notice you have to stop bouncing a lot to run to the bathroom? :eek: It's embarassing but ever since I had my kids I have to cross my legs when I sneeze and I can't do a proper jumping jack with out having a problem. The rebounder makes jacks easier but I still have to stop and pee really often! Sorry if that's a little TMI:eek:!
Have a great weekend everybody!
Colleen

So no workout for me yesterday:( Friday is the one day I work this semester and we were having car issues, so had to drop one vehicle off before I left. My almost three-year-old son was not happy at all about us dragging him out of bed at 7. Then by the time I was home I was way too exhausted to do anything.

So disk 15 is this morning...here I go...

~R

Jean: Yeah, I've given up the idea of having a perfect house 'cause of the kitties. It seems that they each like to destroy something different, so it's hard to keep up...sigh... I hate to run, but do enjoy walking/hiking. Most of my cardio does come from dvds. I just need to start doing it again. I still think that it is awesome that you are up there in any catagory of the walk across America challenge! I used to live near San Diego, so it was a kick to "walk by" my old stomping grounds. I'm near El Centro now and will hopefully be in AZ soon. For my birthday last year, I asked for Bowflex dumbbells instead of jewelery, too. Despite my love of earrings, I really do like my dumbbells. It does take longer to change them, so I think that's one reason why I have trouble getting all of the equipment changes done in 30 seconds in meso 1.

Colleen: I haven't had that problem yet on the rebounder, but sneezes can be tricky. :eek:

Rachel: Hope that your car problems are all fixed. Sounds like it was a good idea to put off the workout for another day!

Marie - I can totally relate! During Meso 1, although I kept to my 6 days a week workouts...3 days STS + 3 days of cardio & abs...I too found myself eating out a bit too often, and splurging on more sweets than usual, and I ended up putting on a few pounds. Yuck! I'm refocusing now, although tonight we are getting pizza for dinner. I will have a salad with it though, and try to stick to 2 pieces vs 3-4. Portion control is the key.

Carolyn - Yes, I have portion control issues too. I too eat "like a man" sometimes. LOL! :eek: But when I workout harder, I get so much hungrier. It's like a vicious cycle! HAHA! I think I'm pretty good about balance though. I never deprive myself. I just "cut back", as my grandmother used to say. :)

I did Disc 13 today. After the first few sets, I was bored during the breaks, but I know they are important in this phase, so I was making the most of them by stretching and resting. But the time I got to the shoulder sections, I was loving the breaks. Funny how Cathe usually has comments that reflect how I feel. I love that. Makes me feel not-so-wussy. haha!

But overall, less than 2 hours after finishing disc 13, I already feel like I will get more out of Meso 2 than I did out of Meso 1. I even found that the target weights on my workout card were more right-on. I don't have the microload weight gloves, so I tend to choose the weight increment just below what the card recommends.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.