STS first time!

Colleen....That's awesome that you live in the LaCrosse area. My aunt and uncle live there :) Well my oh my have I been lazy this weekend. No workouts for me. My husband and I did walk around the Mall of America for a few hours though. -Marie

Walking around the Mall of America is a total workout! The last time I went there my poor feet were aching! ;) The DOMS fairy did indeed visit this morning...owie. I was going to do Athletic Training today but I think I'm just going to take today off. I hope you all have a great day! :)

Jen - You're right, there is a similar move in TB Trisets w no reaching down. I'm sure that's fine as a modification. Some things don't work for us, and that's ok...as long as you keep trying or do something that works better for you. ;)

Betty - Unfortunately I live and work in Northern VA. Several reports have ranked us 2nd to LosAngeles for worst traffic. I live about 58 miles from my work but it takes 90 minutes on average. Any little incident, or holiday travelers can turn it to 2 hrs. But to move closer to work would be much more expensive...prob 30-50% more. So it's a tradeoff.

Thanks for the link to all those 2 ingredient cake recipes. Another one I've heard is good is a box of angel food cake mix and a can of crushed pineapple.

I did some shiva rea yoga today. Her workouts always stretch and twist me in ways I never thought possible - but I feel great afterward!

I'm actually jealous of your snow. It is so cold and dry here (eastern PA) - I wish we had enough moisture in the air to get some snow.
~R

Hi Carolyn! I just responded on another thread about Athletic Training for you. You will love it! The step portion is very basic drills rather than real choreography. I love it since I end up going anaerobic as I do it. I was going to do this one today but I slept in too late and had to get the kiddos up for school and myself ready for work! Plus I was feeling pretty sore from disc 7 yesterday, but it's better now.
I'm also addicted to this forum. Can't...stop...checking..threads...:eek:!:D

Hello-

My son is home from school today, so I have to wait for my husband to come home to do my workout. The last time I tried to workout while leaving my son unattended, he cut his hair and looked like Jim Carrey's character, Lloyd Christmas in Dumb and Dumber. I am going to do disc 10 and Step Moves again. I like this one. It is good when you want a less intense work out. I also really like the music in it.

Carolyn- I loooove Afterburn! I wasn't too crazy about Slide and Glide since some of the moves on the discs hurt my knees. There are a few of those in Afterburn (disc jacks) but I modify that by doing the jacks on my rebounder when it gets to that part. I have a hard time with jumping jacks period unless it's on the rebounder actually. Afterburn also has the move with the dragging plank on the discs and the push up...hurt so good!:p My glutes and legs really feel it after that workout!

Jen- oh my that story about your son and his hair cut is hilarious! My son did something similar last year. He got a hold of a shaver in the bathroom and gave himself a reverse mohawk:eek: (there was no guard so it left about 1/8 inch of hair!). We had to take him to Great Clips right away to pretty much get his head shaved! Luckily hair grows back!

Colleen

Whew! Just did Athletic Training (leg cardio express premix) and disc 8 (back and triceps). I'm feeling really worked right now! I'm a little spent to type much else!:eek: Heh. I'll pop back in later to write more! :)
Colleen

Hello-

I think I might rest today. It is so damp here today, it's raining one minute, snow the next and the snow from last week is melting. My joints are really achy. I had HiiT 40/20 in my calandar, but I might rest or do something more low key. I never did Step Moves last night (but I did do the bonus step work out from LIC/CSS), so maybe I will do that today, if I feel up to it. So far, I'm just lying low and taking Ibuprofen.

Carolyn-I did drink wine a few times last week and I still lost weight. I do WW and I used my points for a glass of wine with a few of my meals last week. When I stop losing, I will reevaluate my consumption. I keep asking my husband to stop bringing it home, but ultimately, I know the buck stops with me. My family is Italian and my grandfather used to make his own wine and I have been drinking it since I was child. I know that sounds crazy, but it was a little bit mixed in with Sprite. It was one glass and it was very dilute, it was always with dinner, and only at my grandparents' house. My mom never served it at home. (I feel like I'm rationalizing bad behavior here!) But I think it kind of created this expectation of having a glass of wine with dinner. Some people have chocolate cake as a treat, I have wine. I don't have a sweet tooth at all.

Well, I'm starting to feel a little more energetic after that tough workout this morning but I can tell I will sleep well tonight! I really hope that's the case too since I've had trouble falling asleep the past two nights. There's nothing worse than falling asleep after my hubby...sometimes he snores. Even though it's not super loud (thank goodness), even just that little bit of rattling makes it hard for me to drift off:(.

Are you trying to quit wine Jen? I think I'd have a tough time giving that up. I was reading in Oxygen about how alcohol slows fat metabolism...but there are some things I just enjoy too much I think. I don't drink a lot (never more than two...unlike my college days!:eek:), but I really enjoy a glass of red next to our fireplace in the winter. I also enjoy a really cold beer in the summer. And also cheese...I could never give up cheese! :p

Good luck getting your run in Carolyn! It's funny because my girlfriend I was telling you about that lives in Portsmouth loves to run too. We were roomates in optometry school and she just loved it and ran all the time. That is one form of exercise I could just never do well. I even joined track in high school but I wound up being the slowest runner on the whole team! It got pretty frustrating coming in last in every race!:rolleyes: I tried again recently but my knees really bothered me, so I just figured it's not for me.

Okay, gotta go. Have a great day guys!

OK I have some questions for you guys. :)

The only yoga DVDs I own are the ones from Cathe. I would like some other instructors as well. I was looking at Eoin Finn. I was at his website and I really like his style. If you have done his yoga practice, do you think he is suitable for beginners? It looks like he has some modifiers.

Also, has anyone done any of the Tonique workouts? I wanted to use them for cardio sometime, but I wasn't sure if they were suitable for use along with STS. I emailed her last week and told her I really didn't know where to start. She never responded, so I thought I would ask you ladies.

Colleen-I am trying to reduce my booze consumption. We were putting the "merry" in Merry Christmas around here. LOL

Marazoe-How is your doggie doing? I used to have a poodle who just a bag of illness. He was a former show dog, who lived in a cage until I got him. I think he wasn't wanted anymore, because he had seizures and other issues, so he really could not be used to stud anymore. It was sad. When I first got him, I was sitting on the floor next to him and I went to tuck my hair behind my ear, he flinched. He thought I was going to hit him. So I think someone was beating him. :mad:

Carolyn-you are so lucky you get to have lunch/breakfast with your husband. My husband works from ahome a few days a week, but I am veggie and he isn't, so we can never agree on where to grab a bite!

gratefuldog sorry Jen, can't be of help with the yoga or tonique. Never done either one. I can jump on board with the wine consumption problem! I had two glasses last night. On my Monday no less! Not a good start to the week. I didn't munch with it this time, so that is a plus. Am I right?!

Hey, it's good for our hearts right? That's my rationalization and I'm sticking to it!:p

Jean and Marie...I bet your hubby's were happy about the Packers game! I don't get into football but my husband was biting his nails and freaking out on Sunday:eek:! Lots of happy Vikings fans around here!

Betty-the picture of the balloon and the pin LOL! That sounds a lot like my husband and I! He tends to burst my bubble a lot with my ideas about vacations, restaurants, you name it. The man has to be talked into everything!

Jen- as far as Yoga ideas, it is kind of tough because everyone's likes and dislikes are so different but I can tell you the ones I like. I've tried a lot and I'm super picky about yoga workouts. I don't care for eastern/spiritual inflection (I like athletic cueing) and I can't stand male instructors who wear super tight/spandex bottoms where you can see their, um goodies. (hello Rodney Yee! Yikes!). I have and like the Yoga Works dvds, Yoga Zone power yoga, Jeanette Jenkins Power yoga, Suzanne Deason yoga for weight loss (I don't know why she calls it that...it's not a calorie burner but a good yoga workout), 10 minute solution yoga (short but sweet segments) and Ellen Barrett's Yogini (not strictly yoga but yoga based). I really wanted to like Shiva Rea, she is really popular, but the Eastern stuff is a little over the top. I may give her another try in the future though.

ok, good night ladies! "talk" to ya tomorrow! Colleen

OK I have some questions for you guys. :)

The only yoga DVDs I own are the ones from Cathe. I would like some other instructors as well. I was looking at Eoin Finn. I was at his website and I really like his style. If you have done his yoga practice, do you think he is suitable for beginners? It looks like he has some modifiers.

Jen - I know Colleen said she wasn't a fan, but I really like Shiva Rea's yoga workout dvds. My favorite is 'Fluid Power,' even though there is a bunch of mystical nonsense the workout is completely customizable and you can simply choose not to do the tracks where you sit/lie there and meditate/do nothing. Other than that there is constant movement rather than holding static poses, which keeps the heart rate up and there is a good 3 hours of video to mix and match.
Other than that, my favorite is actually the P90x yogaX video, which is as non-mystical as you can probably get. It's a really great all around workout and runs about 1 hr and 40 min - You WILL be sore afterward!

Hope this helps,
Rachel

Unfortunately I won't get to start Meso 2 for two weeks since I have week 4 of Meso1 left and my recovery week. I'm looking forward to it since I'm getting weary of the push ups in the chest disc (only 1 more to go!). I don't mind a few push ups but 30 in a row and I collapse way before Cathe is finished (and that's on my knees)!

Today I did disc 9 (legs). It was really frustrating trying to work out today. I slept a little too late. My morning goes a lot smoother if I get up a little before 6:00 am but lately I've been hitting snooze until 6:20 or 6:30. Then I really have to count on my kids to be good if I'm going to get it in. Ideally, I get their breakfasts ready and they wake up when I tell them to (instead of constantly barking at them to get up already!). If it's a good day they get up, eat, get dressed and brush their teeth without my constantly having to pause the dvd and cajoling them to get moving. Today was not one of those good days.:( Today it was "stop messing with the cat and get your clothes on" or "stop playing with your DS and brush your teeth!".
Needless to say, the work out suffered.

Not to mention, I got Meso 1 through a trade and the person neglected to tell me that she had the original, cheap packaging where the discs always fall out. This disc was apparently scratched from that and it froze in a few places. Sigh. Oh well. I think I may have to try and do one of my yoga dvds tonight to try and get in a relaxed state of mind...I'm feeling a little tense right now.

I hope you all had a better work out today than me!;)

Hello-

Checking in with Disc 11. Had an awful night. My son was pacing the hallway again. He has also been talking about dogs ad nauseum. We got a note home from the teacher, saying that is all he does, talks about dogs. It gets really old after a while. I'm just really tired. I'm going to do some cardio here after I get my son's dinner together. Just something quick, it'll probably help perk me up a bit.

Thanks for all of the yoga suggestions. I will check out Shiva Rea at Collage later.

Marazoe-you're so funny. Giving birth is easier than STS legs. Yes, I will send you my work out vibes, so you can reap the benefits, too. Have a safe trip.

Carolyn-My SIL resells stuff on ebay. She always buys things when she's out shoppingg and decides she doesn't like them. Instead of returning them, she just sells them on ebay.

Colleen-You workout while your kids are getting ready for school? Wow.That is amazing! LOL

Betty-I hate sports, too. My husband follows English football. He watches them in real time and he gets up at 6 AM on a Sunday morning and promptly starts yelling at the TV. At 6 AM. On a Sunday morning.

Marie-I'm not sure whether to try Tonique yet. I asked over at VF and someone told me I must be supergirl if I am considering doing STS and Tonique together. No. No, I'm not. I might just get a download to try it out.

Last edited:
OK CArdio for the evening is canceled. I went to get up off of the couch and my knee just gave me this severe pain. I couldn't put my weight on my left knee. Now, it's back to normal.

Ugh. I hope this is nothing ominous. I have been busting my tail to lose weight and I was on a roll. I'm so upset right now. :(

Oh boy, be very careful with the knees. I had an issue last year and was diagnosed with chondromalacia patellae. I think I was doing too much high impact with not enough shock absorption in my flooring (I was working out on carpet but the pad was worn down so it was pretty much like doing high impact on hard wood floors!). I went to PT and also found that I had a muscle imbalance where my quads were stronger than my glutes/hamstrings which caused my knee to bow inward and my knee cap would slip out of place, thus irritating the cartilage. All this to say, be careful! I can do high impact now but I have to be very cautious with my knee alignment and now I work out on a shock absorbent foam interlocking mat thingy.
Good luck and I hope it feels better! Good luck with your son tonight too! I hope you can get some sleep.

Oh gosh, Colleen. That's such a relief. I thought I would be forbidden to do Cathe workouts forever. At the very worst, I thought I would need a replacement. I had begun to suspect tracking issues over the summer (while running), now this confirms my suspicions.

Rachel-I can't wait to start Meso 2, too! One person on VF mentioned she did a pyramid with the weights in the leg trisets that I'm excited to try. For example she would do 10 lbs for the first set, then 12, then 15 lbs. I've heard the leg workouts in Meso 2 are killer!

Jen-for the knee issue I have to do a lot of work arounds but I can definitely still do Cathe! :) PT helped me be aware of the fact that I was letting my knees bow in when I was doing things like lunges and squats and working to strengthen my glutes and hamstrings made all the difference. Cathe's workouts really helped me there! Once I figured out proper knee alignment I realized I wasn't actually activating the glutes like I thought I was during lower body movements. I also take a few supplements that I swear buy. I take one called Hydraplenish which is a hyalronic acid supplement (supposed to help replenish synovial fluid in the joints so kneecap glides more smoothly...one side benefit I've noticed is the lines/wrinkles in my face plumped out!). I swear I noticed a difference within one week of taking that stuff and when I run out I can tell within 2-3 days my knees are feeling cranky. The other two things I take are Trigosamine fast acting and curcumin (turmeric). This is on top of my multivitamin and fish oil and sometimes I feel like I'm taking a lot of pills but it's good for me I think!
The other things that helped was the puzzle mats for shock absorption and I keep my high impact to 1-2 times a week (for awhile there I was doing it almost every day:eek:). I bought a jumpsport rebounder for myself for Christmas and now I can do things I couldn't tolerate before like jumping jacks and tuck jumps! In fact, I did Hiit 30/30 this morning and boy are tuck jumps fun on the rebounder!:eek: Also, if you're knees are actively inflamed make sure you ice them after working out to keep inflammation at an absolute minimum.

Speaking of strengthening glutes and hamstrings...don't give up on Cathe's lower body workouts Jean! Just ease in really slowly and don't try to keep up with Cathe and crew! It's amazing how quickly your body will respond and the DOMS won't be nearly as bad within a short time. Cathe has done more for my backside then anything I've ever done before!

Ok, gotta get ready for work! Have a great day ladies!!
Colleen

I'm afraid I'm not much help here since I'm not really a dog person. I got chased down two different times by scary growling teeth baring dogs when I was younger (first when I was about 10 and the second time when I was 15). It sounds like this lady was really difficult to work with! Either way, I think you should definitely go with just your husband...like you said when the kiddos are with that dog will most certainly come home!;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.