STS first time!

Just wanted to share that I really like Jeanette Jenkins Power Yoga. It's about 80 mins long but it's chaptered pretty well for mixing your own shorter versions too. I bought it after trying a Power Yoga class at my gym and getting hooked, but then they moved the class time. I really enjoy Jeanette 's more athletic approach to yoga. Reminds me a bit of Cathe's yoga style, although noone really compares to Cathe! ;) But this workout is very thorough, IMO. I'm not the super flexible "yoga type" but I do appreciate how it makes me feel more flexible and elongated. I swear I stand taller and with better posture when I'm done!

Oh, and as for AT vs AB? I love both of them. AB is more cardio-core. AT is more cardio-TB-circuit. If you are craving intense cardio, chose AB. If you are craving more of a total body circuit, with most Cardio being in the first 20-30 mins, chose AT.

Personally, I am craving AT for my active recovery week (starts Saturday). AB fits well w STS for cardio days, but I think AT is better suited for total body circuits or a shorter cardio & abs option.

Hi everyone-

My knee doesn't really hurt, but I feel like it's not tracking correctly. I do think some PT is in order. Blah. I did Athletic Step and stability ball abs. I minimized the impact on AT.

Colleen, thanks for the supplement ideas. I used to take hyaluronic acid years ago and I forgot why I stopped. I will run to Costco at the weekend and pick up more.

Carolyn-I would ask this woman why she had a change of heart. It sounds suspicious to me. is she trying to get rid of a dog who is ill/has some sort of genetic disorder. I would do that before you and your husband make the 2 hour trek.

I showed my husband the RT notice and he liked the look of the golf courses and now he's "encouraging" me to go. I don't know. I'm very introverted and quiet, esp. in social situations. LOL

Just wanted to share that I really like Jeanette Jenkins Power Yoga. It's about 80 mins long but it's chaptered pretty well for mixing your own shorter versions too. I bought it after trying a Power Yoga class at my gym and getting hooked, but then they moved the class time. I really enjoy Jeanette 's more athletic approach to yoga. Reminds me a bit of Cathe's yoga style, although noone really compares to Cathe! ;) But this workout is very thorough, IMO. I'm not the super flexible "yoga type" but I do appreciate how it makes me feel more flexible and elongated. I swear I stand taller and with better posture when I'm done!

Isn't Jeanette Jenkins Power Yoga awesome? I love that one! It is really long though so I usually skip the first two chapters and just dive in. I get tired of doing so many sun salutations and don't really feel the need for a warm up per se. I really wish she would do another yoga dvd. Jeanette is so sweet.
Carolyn-as far as AB vs AT it may depend on how you feel. If you're feeling really energetic I would go for AB. It's really is an "eat your wheaties" type workout though! If you are at all tired or just want an excellent over all cardio/toning workout AT is awesome. Trust me though, it's not at all easy so I don't want to make it sound like it's a cake walk either!;)
Hm, a road trip to Chicago...that sounds really tempting!:eek: I'm not sure if I'm worthy to be in a live class though! I might feel too intimidated...how fun would that be though! Chicago is about 3 1/2 hours so it might be doable...
okay, have a good night ladies!:)

Colleen-The RT is not in IL, it's in WI. It's still a bit of a hike for you, but you should try to come down to Lake Geneva. :)

Morning-

Today is disc 12 and I might do Step Moves, too. Knee feels better. I think I will go a little lighter with the weights today, since I'm doing legs. I don't want to aggravate my knee.

Got some baguette dough doing its second proofing. My husband wanted some fresh baguettes, so I offered to make them. It's pretty easy, but all of the proofing takes forever.

Carolyn--just walk away from this woman. She sounds dodgy. She tells you a month ago you can't have your puppy, then she changes her mind and sends you an abusive email because you decline her offer? She sounds unstable. What if you had gone and didn't find the puppy suitable? She could have created an awkward scene. Who needs that stress? I still think there is something wrong with this dog and she's trying to unload it. Don't get sucked in to her drama. Vent to us if you need to, but let it go.

Have a great Friday, everyone and I'll BBL. :)

Well, I had today off from work so I did Paul Katami's Burn and Build. Man, that is a tough workout! I'm not sure if I should have done that during STS but I kept the kettlebell light (10 lbs for most parts except swings). Now I'm too wiped out to do any housework! I'm going to take tomorrow off and then conquer disc 10 on Sunday. Can't wait to be done with Meso 1 chest work!:D
Carolyn- when I read that I am the mature one I am the mature one, I burst out laughing. So funny! I have a hard time letting go when some one is a jerk to me so I know how you feel! Deep breaths...;)

Last edited:
Ho boy. Doing Burn and Build while doing STS was not a good idea! I am feeling really achy and DOMS'y today. Too much!:eek: I even stretched a lot, took ibuprofen and used my foam roller before bed last night. Oh well, now I know for next time!:eek:

I fourth the introverted and quiet in social situations! I'm actually pretty good in small groups (4 or less) with being chatty and fun but as soon as the group gets bigger than that I tend to stay quiet and let everyone else talk. I'm pretty bad about introducing myself. If I don't know anyone at a function it tends to kind of stay that way unless people come up to me:eek:. I don't know if I will make it to the road trip due to finances this year but I'd love to in the future!

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking in this thread and I hope that you don't mind if I join in. I started STS in the second week of January. Wow! It is really different from any other Cathe workout.

I am also quite introverted...so as weird as it may sound...joining in with other introverts sounded like a good idea!

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking in this thread and I hope that you don't mind if I join in. I started STS in the second week of January. Wow! It is really different from any other Cathe workout.

I am also quite introverted...so as weird as it may sound...joining in with other introverts sounded like a good idea!

That's awesome! I joined the group a bit late too but these girls are wonderfully welcoming! :)

Say I shared this recipe on another thread and I wanted to share it with you guys too. I made this soup last night and it was sooo awesome (and yet healthy!) that I wanted to make sure you guys could check it out too. Here it is:

Chicken Sweet Potato soup (or chili...I haven't decided which to call it:))
3-4 cooked chicken breasts (diced)
2 cans white canellini or navy beans (I happened to have 1 can of each in the pantry)
1 can diced green chilis
2 sweet potatoes (diced), or about 2 cups
4-5 cups chicken broth
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
1 tblsp cumin or chili powder, or to taste (I used Emerils southwest seasoning)
1/2 tsp chipotle powder
1 small onion diced
1 10 oz pkge chopped frozen spinach
1 tblsp olive oil

simmer all ingredients until sweet potatoes are tender and flavors are nicely blended. Nummy! With the spices I kind of just dash away until the flavor seems right to me so the measurements are sort of an estimate.
Have a great day ladies!

Thanks for the warm welcome from everybody! It is much appreciated.

A bit about me. My name is Linda and I'm 51. I've been married for 27 years and don't have any children but do have 5 cats. The one that serves as my avatar is my youngest female kitty, Spicy. The oldest kitty's name serves as part of my user name nekko, which is Japanese for cat....making my user name kitty_cat!! I live in Chandler, Arizona which is a neighboring city to Phoenix. I've been here for a bit over 3 years now, after having lived in Maryland for almost 20 years.

I have struggled with weight issues all of my life. I found Cathe on FitTv and started taping her workouts. Like with my weight, my exercise has been in fits and starts. I am hoping that the support from this group will help keep me motivated and get back into the exercise groove.

The recipe for Chicken Sweet Potato soup/chili sounds yummy! I am a bit of a freak about cookbooks. I love to sit and read them from cover to cover just like a novel. Now, if I could just translate that into actually cooking more. LOL

Hello-

CHecking in with Turbo Jam CArdio Party 1. I don't know why I do this to myself, Chalene just annoys me. I, too, am crampy today and that was all I could muster to do. There are no burpees or mountain climbers or whatever. I just can't handle that type of intensity today. I am so pleased this is my active recovery week, perfect timing.

Welcome Nekko. I used to live in Tempe when I was younger. It was an interesting experience. ;)

Jean-You must be so happy your barbell came. Did they tell you it was going to be March? What a nice surprise. I also realize this while timeI had been addressing you by your username and not your first name. I'm sorry!

CArolyn-Awesome about the chin up.

Marie-I think I will go. I was a bit concerned because my husband hasn't been home to England in over 3 years and I didn't want to do the RT if that was going to eat into our flight money. He assures me it won't. We are supposed to go in June.

Betty--I am not crazy about sweet potatoes, either. I eat them, but I don't love them.

Colleen-If you like sweet potatoes I have a couple stew type recipes I could post. They are both healthful recipes. They are both vegan, though. Let me know and I could post them. If anyone wants them let me know, i can post them

Where's Leane? It's like Phineas and Ferb. "Hey! Where's Perry?" ;)

Ach. I'm off to clean my kitchen.

Have a good evening.

Yoga Max today. Not my favorite yoga workout, but I think it's growing on me. Anyone else?

Boo, stuck at home from church this morning - my 2-year-old son has a seriously runny nose I don't want him to pass on to the other kids. Unfortunately, I've come to accept that he will pass it to me - there's just no way around it.:mad:
~Rachel

Last edited:
Good luck with not catching that runny nose Rachel. I feel for ya! A few weeks ago at work we had a GI thing going around...aka pooping and puking thing. So many employees got it, including me. Not a happy camper. Unfortunately some things are just unavoidable even with good handwashing and all.

What are thoughts on Cathe's yoga workouts? I obviously love her workouts but I'm super picky about my yoga workouts. I like a yoga workout that is a challenge but also has some good stretching at the end. I LOVE difficult balance poses and flowing through vinyasas with a focus on breathing. Is this something she focuses on?

Well here I sit in my pj's feeling extra lazy. 99% sure this will be a rest day. Tomorrow I work 7-3:30 and then STS Meso 2 begins...YAY!

Congratulations on the chin up Carolyn! That is going to be my ultimate goal this year...I want to do one chin up and one pull up before the year is up (and hopefully before I turn 40 in October!). I don't think it will happen on this STS round since I don't have a Turbo tower yet but my plan is to get one this summer when I do another round of STS. I've never been able to do chin or pull ups either. I'll never forget when I was in middle school, they were doing these fitness tests on us. All the kids in my class were able to do at least one chin up and pull up. All of them... except me! I remember the feeling of embarassment as I just dangled from that stupid bar helplessly!

I hope you guys don't get sick this week! It's so rough when colds and flu tear through the house. We had a bout of stomach flu this year that knocked us all out one by one. It wasn't pretty!

I was going to do disc 10 today, but I'm still feeling a bit sore from my brutal Friday workout. I definitely learned my lesson on that one...keeping it to just cardio on my days off! I think today I'll just do some active recovery. Do you guys ever do any Ellen Barrett? She's wonderful for when you are feeling beat up from other workouts. I think I'm going to do her Barefoot Cardio today and maybe a little treadmill walking after that.

Have a great Sunday ladies!

Carolyn: Congrats on the chinup! I am not able to do them "unassisted" yet, so you have given me inspiration that it can be done. I used to think that I would always want to live in a place that has 4 seasons. However after years of driving in ice/snow, I changed my mind! We do have changes in our weather. It goes from warm, to hot, to bloody hot. :D

Betty: So true about introverts! Much easier to break the ice with strangers online than in person.

Jean: When we first moved to Maryland, we lived in Gaithersburg. A few years later we moved further away from the DC area to Frederick. I worked even further out to the NW in Hagerstown. As you know, the snow and ice gets worse the further you go NW. I also had to drive over South Mountain. I think that's one reason we got tired of winter! I love my Troy Light barbell so I'm sure you'll love it, too. My husband recently bought a squat cage, so I'll be able to go heavy when I am ready, maybe meso 3???? :eek:

Jen: Did you go to ASU? I would love to see your recipes for sweet potatoes. I was vegetarian for about 7 years but have recently started eating some meat again. Are you vegan?

Rachel: I was just thinking of trying Yoga Max today, so I'll let you know what I think of it. I have no yoga experience, so it will be coming from a newbies perspective. I just know that I need to improve on my flexibility and balance. It sucks getting old! Hopefully, you have built up enough immunity that you won't catch your son's cold. Fingers crossed.

Good afternoon!

Today starts my recovery week. I am going to attempt Yoga Max. I just feel yuck today. I might do a premix. I am downloading some Tonique videos. I am going to do those this week for active recovery. Just a minor peeve, her downloads are the same price as her DVDs.

Rachael- I hope you don't get sick. I think it's awesome you kept your son home. When my son was younger and in daycare, I went to drop him off and I was taking off my son's coat, etc, there was another mother there doing the same with her daughter. The little girl kept saying, "Mommy, I don't feel well. My ear hurts me." The mother just held her finger up to her mouth and "shhh" and gave me a furtive glance. My son got an upper repiratory/ear infection a few days later and then me. :rolleyes:

Nekko-I did go to ASU for a while. Needless to say, I didn't graduate from there. LOL

Here are my recipes: Senegalese Sweet Potato and Spinach Stew

Ingredients
1 spray(s) cooking spray
2 medium uncooked onion(s), roughly chopped
1 medium green pepper(s), cored and roughly chopped
1/2 pound(s) uncooked sweet potato(es), peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
2 medium uncooked carrot(s), peeled and thinly sliced
2 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
2 Tbsp ginger root, fresh, minced
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 cup(s) vegetable broth, reduced-sodium
6 Tbsp peanut butter, natural, creamy-variety
8 cup(s) fresh spinach, leaves, stemmed, packed, chopped

Instructions

Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and set over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.

Stir in the sweet potato, carrots and garlic; cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Add the ginger, cloves, salt and cayenne; cook for 30 seconds.

Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the peanut butter until smooth.

Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer slowly, stirring once in a while, until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.

Add the spinach; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Yields about 1 2/3 cups per serving.

Here is the other recipe, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili:
A Year of Slow Cooking: Sweet Potato Chili (vegan!) Slow Cooker Recipe

Carolyn-yeah I definitely paid for my lunacy Friday! I felt like I had been by a truck after that work out and most of Saturday too! I don't know if it was that or if it is because it's ttotm for me but my eating has been out of control this weekend! It started Thursday night eating out Mexican with my family (could not stop eating those nachos!), then Friday I baked (and ate 3) oatmeal cookies with English toffee bits. Then last night we went out for pizza! Let's just say my portion control wasn't making up for the food choices either! Eeek! Time to get things back under control! LOL!

Marie- you guys got hit with the same weather system we did here in LaCrosse! I had a slippery drive to work today, too. Luckily I don't have to drive too far though. I used to work on the other side of town and on bad weather days it would double my time to work! Definitely take it easy tonight if you're oral pain isn't reduced. Just dealing with that amount of pain can really sap a person's energy, especially if you didn't sleep well.

Hopefully I will get to disc 10 tonight. I didn't want to try and squeeze it in this morning since I knew I'd have to leave early to drive to work with the roads. I'll be honest, I previewed the workout sheet and this one has an insane number of pushups in it...even for Meso 1! I may have to skip a few of those...we'll see how I feel tonight. :)
Colleen

Howdy gang!

Jen: The sweet potato/spinach stew sounds very good. I wouldn't have thought to put spinach in with those other ingredients, but I'm sure it is yummy. I printed the recipe out to try later.

Jean: I enjoy Butts and Guts more than STS legs. Maybe it just because I'm more familiar with the exercises in BG than STS. I don't do as well with all of the balance challenges in STS legs. D'oh!

Marie: Hope everything went well at the dentist and that you are in less pain.

Colleen: Disk 10 has even more pushups in it? Didn't think that it was possible. Now I really have something to look forward to next week.:D

Carolyn: I'm actually looking forward to a little longer breaks for meso 2. Maybe I'm too uncoordinated, but I usually can't get set up for the next exercise quickly enough in meso 1.

I just finished Disk 7. I didn't look at the workout card before I started. So...by the end of the disk...I was yelling at the TV...more pushups? Are you serious? I did not have a chance to do Yoga Max yesterday.

It's cloudy here and we may get rain tonight. That's a big deal for us! I have a little garden out in the back yard and my veggies would love the rain.

Linda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.