Still having a hard time with this getting old stuff!

Hi Osutxgirl, I use the trampoline on anything that is high impact; exactly what you mentioned jumping jacks, plyo jacks, split jumps, pop squats even when Cathe jogs in place, I get on that trampoline - you may not have as much space on the trampoline but it does get the heart rate up and saves my joints. With your toe issue, the trampoline may lessen the impact; let me know how it feels if you decide to try a trampoline. Take care.
Any suggestions of brand of trampoline?

I own a Half-Fold ReboundAir Exerciser. Don't know if they still make them but it's sturdy, strong and a space saver. It was a bit pricer than your standard trampoline.

Any suggestions of brand of trampoline?
Hi Osutxgirl, I bought my mini-trampoline like 20 years ago and it's still in very good shape. I bought it at Sears Store - they are pretty popular store in Chicago. Don't know if they have Sears Store where you live.

Haven't been here for a while. Looked through past threads to see if something pertaining to aging might be a concern to others and I found this. It's been almost 3 months since last workout. One day I just stopped, I would put on my workout clothes with total intention of just doing it, then I didn't. Went on like that for a couple of weeks then I just stopped even putting on my workout clothes. I'll be 61 in May, and for a brief second it occurred to me that maybe I was just done with this workout thing. That scared me, and yesterday my DH, said it out loud and that really scared me so I put on my workout clothes and I pulled out a couple of my Cathe vids and I went to town for about an hour. The sweat felt so good and I was shocked at how much endurance and strength I've lost. Makes me sad, I'll get there again and I just want to say thanks to the women on this forum for all the support that they give each other and, of course, a big thank you to Cathe for all of the years she's put in to give us such a wonderful variety of workouts without losing her passion. For now I think I'll just get back on the horse again. Best wishes to all:)

I got over feeling sorry for myself long ago and listen to my body. I have multiple spinal injuries and had a bad rash of injuries over the past 7 years from slipping on a garbage bag and doing a flip and a half down my stairs to a horrible car accident fracturing 9 ribs and chipping 3 vertebrae.......and stuff in between.....and believe me, it hasn't been easy but I'm learning to do frequent kundalini yoga and much lighter wts, Pilates and such....i also modify impact on my Rebounder.... however I also have horrible bunions and really bad large toe arthritis. I am 57. I am over being upset about it an one thing I learned recently that put my mind to rest further is that my fat burning zone is much lower than it used to be!!!

Oh my gosh, I was just thinking this same thing about the aging articles! I turn 50 in a few days and just entered menopause, and then to read these recent articles makes me start to think it's all down hill from here. Like SRP said, it's good to know the information, but it's depressing! How about some inspiration from the over-50 crowd here? I want to hear about how you're still lifting heavy and jumping like crazy with Cathe!
I just started working out with Cathe. I am 53, pretty active and a heart attack survivor. I modify and just started with ICE workouts. Love it, but I avoid any jumping, keeps my body happy and able to move forward. Also regular massage and chiro have made a huge difference

Oh boy has hit been hitting me hard lately. Pure and simple, I don't want to get old! I'm quite old enough already! Sigh.

I shouldn't complain. I'm still fit. I can still work out, hike, play with the dog, and more - and I'm still in much better shape than most of the people I know. But dang it all, I can't do what I really love to do: complex step and long, hard, sweaty cardio (often one in the same). I desperately miss step lately.

I have an elliptical, which is no impact at all, right? It screwed up my knee a few months ago, so I took a break. The knee is still sort of iffy, but significantly better. I decided to try using the elliptical in a different way, more for HIIT instead of the long sessions. Well, it bothers the other knee now. AND, of all the seriously irritating things ... I tried four 1-minute intervals at the highest resistance, alternating with weights during one of my weight workouts. The next morning, my arthritic foot was killing me. I love working at high resistance on that thing. So yet another fun thing my body says NO to.

So yep, even though I shouldn't, I'm complaining.

Cardio is currently Cathe's low impact stuff - After Burn, Cardio Super Sets, Low Impact HIIT, Low Impact Sweat. I also use Cross Fire and a premix of Intensity with many, many low impact innovations of my own which turned out remarkably well. But I'm tired of drill-based cardio. I want Party Rockin' Step #1!!!

Walking is good in its own way, but it doesn't get my heart rate up where I want it. I cut it out last summer due to foot problems, but I may try to bring it back in, just to get away from the drills.

Weights are okay I guess. I think I've mentioned before that I don't use DVDs for that anymore because the pace is too fast and doesn't allow me time for transitions with the lifting hooks I have to use. I'm in a fairly decent place strength-wise, but I also know that I can't really increase my weights because I'm at the max my hands can handle. That's okay, but I miss working out with Cathe. Just something else to complain about.

And it sure doesn't help to read all Cathe's blog posts about how much declining estrogen levels and so on affect fitness levels. I'm not criticizing the articles - it's good to know that stuff. But it's also rather depressing.

Aaaaaalllllll righty, then! Enough whining. I just had to get it out. I don't know very many of you, but I do know that most of you will understand because you love to work out too. Thanks for bearing with me through the end of this.

I understand what you're saying and going through, having fibromyalgia and arthritis myself. But in reading your post above...I'm impressed at looking at how much you are able to do. :D I don't know your age, but I know many 20-somethings who don't do that much movement, and couldn't keep up with you if they tried!

When I get aggravated with my aging body, I remember my uncle, a good man who spent about ten years in a wheelchair before he passed away. He had a spinal degenerative disease that slowly took him from being a rough-and-tumble guy who worked as a professional mover, to life in a chair he came to despise. He would have been overflowing with joy to do a workout like I can complete. When my knee gets cranky or my feet hurt or my shoulder feels painful, I simply try to look at all I can do, and rejoice in it. I may have some temporary pain over a movement, but I recover. I can still get up out of bed in the morning, take a shower, drive to work, climb the stairs up to my office, walk back down the steps to go home, come home (to my 3rd floor apartment with no elevator :), get in a workout, take a bath, put on my nightgown. Yet my uncle could not do any of those things alone, and couldn't do some of them at all. I don't take it for granted, what I can do. I apologize if it sounds like I'm preaching, because that's not my intention. It's simply something that helps me keep workouts - and my life - in proper perspective.

When I get aggravated with my aging body, I remember my uncle, a good man who spent about ten years in a wheelchair before he passed away. He had a spinal degenerative disease that slowly took him from being a rough-and-tumble guy who worked as a professional mover, to life in a chair he came to despise. He would have been overflowing with joy to do a workout like I can complete. When my knee gets cranky or my feet hurt or my shoulder feels painful, I simply try to look at all I can do, and rejoice in it. I may have some temporary pain over a movement, but I recover. I can still get up out of bed in the morning, take a shower, drive to work, climb the stairs up to my office, walk back down the steps to go home, come home (to my 3rd floor apartment with no elevator :), get in a workout, take a bath, put on my nightgown. Yet my uncle could not do any of those things alone, and couldn't do some of them at all. I don't take it for granted, what I can do. I apologize if it sounds like I'm preaching, because that's not my intention. It's simply something that helps me keep workouts - and my life - in proper perspective.

Thank you for writing this, its exactly how I feel but unable to express verbally. Great post!

I am 55 and luckily don't have any major health issues.:) I've had to stop doing dance and step workouts due to an inner ear weakness. The constant turning causes too much dizziness. Other than that, I can do most workouts with minimal or no modifications.

I wish this world didn't dwell so much on age. I have been unemployed for a few months and I am getting the feeling that I am being judged strictly on my age and not my accomplishments.

Amen to your comment @TurquoiseEyes! I'm sorry your uncle spent the last 10 years of his life in a wheelchair. How unfortunate. I cannot even imagine having my total independence taken away from me. A friend of mine recently had her leg amputated from the knee down. :( She might be about age 50. Her situation really struck a cord with me. I've always been grateful for the many things I could take for granted, but even more now, I appreciate each and every day that I'm alive, and I sincerely appreciate all that my body does for me - whether it be spinning, kickboxing, weight lifting, or simply driving to the store to do my grocery shopping. My friend is dealing with her amputation with incredible grace - something I will shamefully admit that I am sure I would not do. Aging is indeed a real challenge. Do what you are capable of, don't force yourself to do anything you cannot, and simply appreciate all that you have.

Love this thread. :) Thanks to all you Cathletes for the words of wisdom and true inspiration. You are all so realistic yet positive. At almost 57 I can identify with many of your comments. Yes, sometimes those muscles and joints will talk to me a little louder than they did a few years ago. For example, went to a bizarrely high impact, frenetic class at a fitness center the other day and I limped for 2 days afterward! :( Why did I vary from Cathe's sound programs?? (Lesson learned!) But, thanks to having a history of regular training using Cathe's workouts, I recovered quickly and was able to do a fun, reasonably paced (60 min.) 10 km. run 3 days post injury. Sticking to a workout schedule that works for our bodies is the best insurance when those inevitable injuries, aches or pains strike us.

I find I have to workout more often and with more variety now that I am older. If not, I get stiff, gain body fat or simply feel 'old'. I've added more yoga/stretching and make sure I don't do too much high impact (vary my hiit training to include low impact too). I vary it up so that I get steady state and hiit in each week, and rotate through endurance and heavier lifting routines. The positive thing about aging is that is MAKES me follow a well-rounded, balanced program that I should be doing anyway. In my 20s I could just go out dancing on Friday night and lose 5 lbs.! Those days are gone! But I am all the healthier because of it. I no longer take my health for granted!

The biggest thing that has helped me in my 50s is to clean up my diet. :eek: With menopausal weight gain and high percentage body fat I knew that I had to make some tough changes. Over the last 3 years I have gradually lost 16 lbs. (now 110 and 5'2") and more importantly, went from 32 to 23% body fat. This is from cutting down on the sugar, gluten and alcohol and eating lots more veggies. Yes, there are now many wrinkles on this old body but cleaner eating has helped me to have less weight/pressure on the joints and feel lighter on my feet during those tough step, kickbox and higher impact workouts.

I find if I stick with a Cathe workout that is right for that day, I can maintain my fitness level. I have a fitness assessment every year or two and find I am pleasantly surprised that, despite aging/changes in the body, I am still hitting the 'above average' or 'superior' range for my age in various areas. I expect most of you are too. Sometimes we just have super high expectations for ourselves and need a reality check. Even if we modify Cathe's workouts, if we consistently stay active doing a combo of cardio, strength and stretching, we're doing the best we can for our mental and physical health!

SRP... I'm right there with ya, it's hard not to play the Woe is me game... But lets put it into more prospective.. I know this won't make it much better..but really think about this.. There are many people out there in wheelchairs and who cannot even do the low impact stuff. I do think about this, because I have had a 3 level neck fusion and then back surgery, which were both within a 6 month period.. I had numbness and tingling and all that stuff, things that scare you that you will not be able to move.. the surgery alone on my spine was scary.. you have to be prepared that anything can happen. I cannot ever do the things I loved so much prior to my injuries and surgery.. I LOVED Crossfit and I loved over head pressing with heavy weights, it was so empowering to me, but I can never do that again. In fact even lifting 10-12 lbs in an over head press now is very touch and go and very precise in movement for me.. I don't want to get old either, but I agree with Workout above.. I want to be as independent as possible and sometimes you just have to accept where you are and be thankful every single day for what you have. Let go of what you cannot do and do not dwell.. that will age you quicker. Learn to love yourself for where you are and what you can do and experiment with different things that your body will allow you to do. Consider it a time of change to experience different things. :) Hang in there my friend, you have many people in the same boat with you!

Thanks @dawn9222 Great post:)

Thanks for sharing your story. It has definitely made me think about crossfit. It is empowering indeed but at what risk?
It is not a risk worth taking while earning a living from an office job:p:):) 4 me
I hope it makes sense!!!

I agree with you on not to dwell too much into what we can not do should it be due to an injury, aging process or any anatomical birth defect:oops::eek::). I shall
remember to appreciate myself too;) just as you advised above and be opened experimenting new stuff.

That said I am truly grateful I am able to wake up and do what I love without taking anything 4 granted:)

Last edited:
I can finally say that I'm semi-recovered from a back injury, and I don't know if anyone else experienced this - but I went to do one of the ICE workouts after a long time away and started crying towards the end because I felt good. I don't know where the tears came from and am slightly embarrassed, but I think I'm just so thankful not to hurt as much and I'm able to work out again .. I hardly ever cry. I am extremely thankful.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.