Slow and Heavy or Gym Styles?

jnka825

Cathlete
Ok folks, I need help making my next purchasing decision. I just finished a rotation with 4 DS, my new favorite series. Before getting this series, I was doing full body weight workouts, or the Pyramids. I got great results with 4 DS and want to build on that. I keep see-sawing with this decision. Should I get slow and heavy or gym styles? Is one better than the other or does it not really matter? Will I be bored with the slow lifting? I don't know. Help!

Kristin

Btwn the two I'd get the Gym Styles b/c it's more versatile and has shorter timesaver premixes. There's also some nice band work. However, for about $20 more I'd consider getting just Mesocycle 2 of STS. It's my favorite of the 3 (the 1st one is too push-up heavy for me and the 3rd is almost TOO heavy for me, ie. I feel like I need to invest in a weight bench, squat rack). For me, I feel Meso 2 is like having 4 slightly varied Gym Style sets! I LOVE Meso 2.

P.S. I didnt do the One-Rep Max calculations etc before starting STS and it wasnt any problem at all. I just used a challenging weight and increased it when I felt I was ready.

I love both series because controlled, heavy lifting is my favorite way to train (especially for legs). IMO you really can't go wrong with either series.

I think I reach for S&H more because I have a significant dread factor for all things GS Chest! There are endless pushups and the chest presses and flyes seem to last forever! :eek: I know they are good for me and the workout delivers but the enjoyment factor is not there for me as much as it is in S&H.

Also, how do you want to train your legs? GS Legs has shorter premixes (2 I think?), but the style of the workout reminds me more of a B&G type of routine with more reps and lower weight than a controlled, heavy lift like you would find in S&H (which is more like the Meso 3 Squat Rack routine or even Meso 2 Legs).

HTH! Good luck with your decision!

Slow and Heavy

Kristin:
By coincidence last week I did S&H -- the first time in six months -- and I enjoyed it a lot. It is long and demanding, but fun. One thing I notice is that Cathe, during the one minute rest intervals, does a lot of teaching and explanation of form, a good thing. It is a good deal cheaper than STS Strength -- but once you save enough money I recommend one of the STS cycles to start.
-- David

Last edited:
From these two I definitely prefer Slow and Heavy. It's got a great vibe going and I just love the style of slow movements and heavy weights. The form pointers in this one can't e beat either. Every muscle is worked in S&H too, even some that other workouts miss.

I like the gym styles better than S and H because:
1-GS legs has both standing and floor work and is about an hour. S and H legs is only standing and is 30 minutes. And if you want to shorten GS you can with 2 timesaver premixes. Or just do the standing part. Or floor work. More versatility.
2-GS upper bodies have timesaver premixes that are great, as are the full workouts.
3-I like the 2-2 count, or varying the rep count in the GS. S and H gets verrrrryyyy borrrrring with the same up 2 down 6 count all the way through.
4-GS just has more of a "fun factor" for me. Maybe its the music or the variety, but I can do it for 8 weeks straight and not get bored. I haven't been able to do more than 1 week of S and H before i run screaming back to my other workouts. It just bores me to tears. The one minute breaks are spent sitting on your step listening to Cathe tell you to drink water for the umpteenth time. Now with STS, I do not get bored at all with Meso 2 which also has the one minute breaks. So I guess its just something about S and H I don't like.
Beth

I like the gym styles better than S and H because:
1-GS legs has both standing and floor work and is about an hour. S and H legs is only standing and is 30 minutes. And if you want to shorten GS you can with 2 timesaver premixes. Or just do the standing part. Or floor work. More versatility.
2-GS upper bodies have timesaver premixes that are great, as are the full workouts.
3-I like the 2-2 count, or varying the rep count in the GS. S and H gets verrrrryyyy borrrrring with the same up 2 down 6 count all the way through.
4-GS just has more of a "fun factor" for me. Maybe its the music or the variety, but I can do it for 8 weeks straight and not get bored. I haven't been able to do more than 1 week of S and H before i run screaming back to my other workouts. It just bores me to tears. The one minute breaks are spent sitting on your step listening to Cathe tell you to drink water for the umpteenth time. Now with STS, I do not get bored at all with Meso 2 which also has the one minute breaks. So I guess its just something about S and H I don't like.
Beth

I am thinking I will get bored with the slow, monotonous count. I mean, slow and heavy seems very effective from what the other posters' comments, but I do not know if like you, I will find myself dreading it after a week in a rotation. It is less expensive though.

Kristin:
By coincidence last week I am did S&H -- the first time in six months -- and I enjoyed it a lot. It is long and demanding, but fun. One thing I notice is that Cathe, during the one minute rest intervals, does a lot of teaching and explanation of form, a good thing. It is a good deal cheaper than STS Strength -- but once you save enough money I recommend one of the STS cycles to start.
-- David

STS will definitely be on my Christmas list this year. I am trying to build myself up to it. i know that technically you do not have to, but I think I will be more mentally prepared for the challenge of STSt after I conquer other workouts, like I did with 4DS.

Thanks for your input. I am still undecided :eek: I just do not know if the slow count will keep me engaged throughout.

I love both series because controlled, heavy lifting is my favorite way to train (especially for legs). IMO you really can't go wrong with either series.

I think I reach for S&H more because I have a significant dread factor for all things GS Chest! There are endless pushups and the chest presses and flyes seem to last forever! :eek: I know they are good for me and the workout delivers but the enjoyment factor is not there for me as much as it is in S&H.

Also, how do you want to train your legs? GS Legs has shorter premixes (2 I think?), but the style of the workout reminds me more of a B&G type of routine with more reps and lower weight than a controlled, heavy lift like you would find in S&H (which is more like the Meso 3 Squat Rack routine or even Meso 2 Legs).

HTH! Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for the details! This info does help. I think I am going to gear more towards gym styles. I do not have butts and guts, and I am thinking of buying that along with the two upper body gym styles perhaps. I have been wanting to get B&G too. I have to stick to a budget here, lol.

Hi Kristin,

I have all the Gym Styles and love, love, love them! I recently did a rotation with them (my first) and really did see results, especially in my upper body, probably because I had been doing GS Legs for awhile. (?)

I went through the same dilemma of whether to purchase Slow 'n Heavy or GS so I recently bought S&H (haven't done it yet) when it went on sale. I TRY only to buy the DVDs when they're on sale but it's so hard not to sometimes.:p

Good Luck!

Julie

thanks everyone

Thanks for the input everyone. I finally made my purchase. I went with gym styles for the upper body, but butts and guts for the lower. Plus I bought Cardio Fusion.
I really appreciate all the input. Knowing myself the way I do, I just think that S & H, although effective, might be too monotonous for me. If I dread a weight workout, I find excuses not to do it.

I cannot wait to get my goodies!

Thanks again!
Kristin

You will love these! I think I forgot to mention how much I love B&G. I also recently bought Cardio Fusion and it is a killer. I couldn't even make it through the whole thing (but I gave myself the excuse that I did it late in the day and I am used to working out in the early morning.;)).

Good choice. Butts and Guts and Gym Style Legs are both very comprehensive excellent leg workouts. You can't go wrong with either one.
Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.