Protein powder after workout?

Very interesting to hear what everyone is thinking & sharing on this. I personally feel people ought to eat or not eat or eat when it suits them and their bodies' changing needs. At least that is what has always worked for me. Rather than have everything entirely planned out and what you read you need to consume or not consume, after you've worked out (and you will feel differently depending on the type and/or intensity of the workout), take 6 or 7 minutes, sit or lie and let yourself actually feel what you may be needing. Become more in tune with what you body is telling you to feed it. Then you will know for next time and can plan a bit in advance. The further along you get to your personal goals of training, I'm sure your body will tell you something else. It isn't exactly scientific, but if you are an intuitive person, I feel it's smart. It works.
Since trying to do this, I've learned that I absolutely do need protein powder after a moderate or heavy weight workout (I use pumpkin or a fermented grain). Before ANY workout my body needs nutrient dense starch/grains. That is how I am. You might feel differently. Your needs may be different. I've also learned that I shouldn't do metabolic workouts while pmsing cause when I am pmsing, my calorie needs are much higher anyway (and I do not believe in limiting my amount of food when my body calls for it) and if I do metabolic workouts, I feel very hungry and underfed no matter how nutritiously I eat. I am working on this. lol.
I've been an ovo-vegetarian for 14 years and by actively listening to my body, I've never felt like I go without anything. I also feel better doing seasonal eating. For example I cannot eat cold salads in winter. Yuck. lol.

Hi Everyone,

I am retrieving this tread to share an article on protein.

It does remind us the importance of protein consumption.

http://cathe.com/do-you-need-to-eat-protein-at-every-meal

I must confess I can not eat before early morning workout.It has worked well for years.
At least for cardio early in the morning.:)
I suppose each person is different and need to find what works the best for his/her goal!

Last edited:
I had a shakeology shake packet in my Bodybeast package and I could barely drink it. It was some kind of chocolate, but didn't taste good to me..Maybe I'm a priss!!I think there is something in there that expands in your stomach to keep appetite down. I just use the Wal-Mart stuff or Sam's or Costco. It didn't have the protein content of the "cheapo stuff". Also Premier makes pre packaged shakes pretty cheap with 30 grams per shake called Pure Protein. They taste fine to me, but that's all I know..I'm certainly not an expert. It is nice just to reach into the fridge and grab one.If anyone knows if this stuff is toxic, let me know!!

Maybe I'm a priss!!I think there is something in there that expands in your stomach to keep appetite down. I just use the Wal-Mart stuff or Sam's or Costco. It didn't have the protein content of the "cheapo stuff".

Yes some brand do make you feel full to keep cravings at bay. I would rather purchase an unflavoured.
95% of any sweeteners or other chemicals. Also they do contain stimulants and you could find yourself struggling
to sleep by ten, eleven pm. That is why I stopped buying some brands. Sleep is important!

I am actually looking for a good protein powder simply because I like to drink shakes, I want something somewhat healthy and fast. I have been looking at IdealShake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Zenara25,

I am retrieving your post above hoping you could chime in.
How are you doing with your plan above aiming to control Leptin Level.

How did you found out you were resistant?

Hi Nathalie,
Sorry it took me so long to respond to your post. I don't have a doctor's diagnosis. Just an educated guess based on leptin being a hormone that signals the body that your full and no longer hungry. Check. Especially sugar cravings. Check. Carrying excess weight in the stomach is a sign as well. Check. Plus having a homogenous (meaning twice as likely) genetic defect (23andme) showing I'm prone to having this issue. And check.

I'm doing a little better but have a long ways to go.... My 2 biggest hurdles are 1. Eating protein and healthy fat in the AM. And 2. Not snacking (especially chocolate/sugar) throughout the day. But when I'm able to accomplish those my hunger/cravings goes way down. I need to work on being more consistant. And I like what Elsie mentioned in a post in this thread about listening to your body. I think that's important too.

I did end up trying the Emeralds Essentials Whey protein powder in both Chocolate and Vanilla and I like them both. But I don't want Whey protein every morning. I'm just too lazy to cook in the morning :( Sometimes I'll actually have canned tuna or salmon on top of greens drizzled with a healthy oil. I know it sounds gross. But I don't mind unless I'm heading into work then I feel self conscious about my breath:eek:

I've learned that I absolutely do need protein powder after a moderate or heavy weight workout (I use pumpkin or a fermented grain).

I may give pumpkin protein a try. Thanks for mentioning it. I was just reading the other day that pumpkin can help balance hormone levels. So that's a bonus if it does. This one looks interesting. Zero sweeteners which is fine. I can add in berries or stevia if needed.
http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Nutriti...ements=p_n_feature_nine_browse-bin:6997074011

I may give pumpkin protein a try. Thanks for mentioning it. I was just reading the other day that pumpkin can help balance hormone levels. So that's a bonus if it does. This one looks interesting. Zero sweeteners which is fine. I can add in berries or stevia if needed.
http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Nutriti...ements=p_n_feature_nine_browse-bin:6997074011

Yeah, Zenara, that's the one myself and DH eat. It's very natural. Also, pumpkin doesn't constipate me like a lot of protein powders. :oops: Excellent to find out about the hormonal balancing. I've been very irritable lately. lol. You can add some grounded nuts to it if you want to add fat, which is what I often do. Of course, eggs are also a very balanced whole real food source of both easily digestable protein and fat (plus silicon which I'm told my joints need more of). Sometimes I just get sick of eggs though.

I am envious of you guys ---. you have choice in protein source. Pumpkin protein would be an import for
us living in Europe:(. Would not mind trying it.

@Zenara25 Thanks for replying. No worries for the delay;)
Glad to know you are doing better. chocolate is ok for me. I can have a square and stick to the a square!!!
It does help me stop munching. But it has to be at least 70% dark pure organic. I can not stand other milky
one full of vegetable fat!.:) That being said I would cut out chocolate if I found myself continuously munching on them:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.