Protein powder after workout?

any92

Hi!
I have never taken protein powder as a supplement and I need lit a bit of advice here. I am planning to do STS Strength and cardio for the first time and I am considering using protein powder after STS strength routines. Do you think it is a good idea to have breakfast(oats), then after two hours to do my workout and immediately after that take protein powder and then after about an hour and half a lunch? I would only use the protein powder three times a week after strength workout. Is it optimal to take it right after the workout? Should I add some carbs? For example a half of an apple? The protein has 1805kJ / 427kcal, protein 82g, carbs 6,8g, fat: 8g / 100 g.
Thanks

Personally, I'd have a bigger breakfast (nuts, seeds and yoghurt as well as your oats, perhaps). Maybe then just have lunch an hour after the w/o? No need for a protein powder. That's what I do.
I think supplements are only necessary when there is no other way of getting the nutrition. Real food always trumps manufactured stuff.

Hi!
I have never taken protein powder as a supplement and I need lit a bit of advice here. I am planning to do STS Strength and cardio for the first time and I am considering using protein powder after STS strength routines. Do you think it is a good idea to have breakfast(oats), then after two hours to do my workout and immediately after that take protein powder and then after about an hour and half a lunch? I would only use the protein powder three times a week after strength workout. Is it optimal to take it right after the workout? Should I add some carbs? For example a half of an apple? The protein has 1805kJ / 427kcal, protein 82g, carbs 6,8g, fat: 8g / 100 g.
Thanks

Hi,

Very good question which, I hope will help many and turn into a healthy discusion.
There is no harm in combining real food with powder. As I mentioned in my previous posts, protein powder are not
made to replace real food. Combining it to food at it's natural state is the best for some. We are meant to have 6 meals per day. This require a significant time to prepare. Yes 6 meals not big of course to keep blood sugar level at bay:):)

Protein Powder do come handy for lifters cause after workout, we only have 30-45 minutes to refuel.
Why powdered protein because it gets into the system fast. if you want to cook an egg after your workout, feel free:D:D:D
Some of us do not:D:D. I workout in the morning and once I complete my session I have an hour to get ready and
head to the station to catch a train to work. No time.:):):) I do not believe consuming powdered protein makes
me *less healthy* than harcore vegan, paleo or vegetarian folks. Just saying! JMHO

Yes post workout, you should have carbs+protein. if you eat low glycemic index but want
a treat, now is your time to spike your blood sugar having a piece of chocolate for example.
It is time to have some simple sugar. tongue on the cheek ;-). This is perfect for meso 2:p:p;)

Oh, Any excessive calorie get stored as fat. of course too much of powder protein will
result in excessive calorie and end up getting stored as fat. Watchout the Myths!
Reasonable protein powder consumption on it's own can not result in weight gain!
:oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:, Not everyone opinion but please come up with some documentation:cool::cool:

http://cathe.com/tips-timing-pre-post-workout-meals

Hope I have answered your question.
STS is a great program. Hope you like it;)

Last edited:
Thanks for answering, Justine and Nathalie :) I prefer "natural" food and avoid all processed food, so I am not sure about the protein powder... I hoped that it could get help me to get more definiton to my muscles as it is absorbed really quickly.
I hope you catch your train every time, Nathalie ;) ;) ;)

I think this is sensible : only if you have to
http://www.niashanks.com/protein-powder-free-protein-shake-recipe/

But, if you're not running to catch a train, I think real food is always better. Nathalie - I understand that a shake may be better than a fast food breakfast, and I'm behind you 100%.

I will read this and just glancing, Nia quoted it is her preference.
I do consume protein powder but the unflavoured one. Plus as a supplement now and then, not as remplacement.

Sometime I do make a quick smoothie with just almond, rice,soy or coconut milk plus mango cubes and raw spinach.:):):). I am happy with that.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering, Justine and Nathalie :) I prefer "natural" food and avoid all processed food, so I am not sure about the protein powder... I hoped that it could get help me to get more definiton to my muscles as it is absorbed really quickly.
I hope you catch your train every time, Nathalie ;) ;) ;)

Thanks for highlighted above;)
of course natural food is also my preference.
Minimal powder now and then can not harm you! It does get absorbed quickly.
That is what it was made for. UNFLAVOURED is fine. Pea source is my number one
prefered source. it does contain high percentage of protein:):) Thought I would mention.:)

Please keep us posted on your definition quest;)

Hi,

Very good question which, I hope will help many and turn into a healthy discusion.
There is no harm in combining real food with powder. As I mentioned in my previous posts, protein powder are not
made to replace real food. Combining it to food at it's natural state is the best for some. We are meant to have 6 meals per day. This require a significant time to prepare. Yes 6 meals not big of course to keep blood sugar level at bay:):)

Protein Powder do come handy for lifters cause after workout, we only have 30-45 minutes to refuel.
Why powdered protein because it gets into the system fast. if you want to cook an egg after your workout, feel free:D:D:D
Some of us do not:D:D. I workout in the morning and once I complete my session I have an hour to get ready and
head to the station to catch a train to work. No time.:):):) I do not believe consuming powdered protein makes
me *less healthy* than harcore vegan, paleo or vegetarian folks. Just saying! JMHO

Yes post workout, you should have carbs+protein. if you eat low glycemic index but want
a treat, now is your time to spike your blood sugar having a piece of chocolate for example.
It is time to have some simple sugar. tongue on the cheek ;-). This is perfect for meso 2:p:p;)

Oh, Any excessive calorie get stored as fat. of course too much of powder protein will
result in excessive calorie and end up getting stored as fat. Watchout the Myths!
Reasonable protein powder consumption on it's own can not result in weight gain!
:oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:, Not everyone opinion but please come up with some documentation:cool::cool:

http://cathe.com/tips-timing-pre-post-workout-meals

Hope I have answered your question.
STS is a great program. Hope you like it;)

I may be odd, but I have my couple cups of morning coffee and a protein shake (which also has some sugar in it...I don't use artificial sweeteners, period) pre-workout. Then I don't feel all full and heavy from "solid food", but I have enough energy from the shake to power through my workouts. I know some people work out on an empty stomach, but I simply cannot do that. My blood sugar runs low as it is, and I get nauseous if I have nothing in my system and try to exercise. I may be an aberration, but I use whole milk. Water or skim milk to me is just...blech. I can't do it.

It depends on whether I just did cardio or if I did weight-training for my post-workout meal. Cardio, it's going to be a lighter meal. Maybe a bowl of cereal with some fruit and a few unsalted raw nuts thrown in. If I did serious weight-training, I like to eat two scrambled or fried eggs with a little bacon or sausage and a slice or two of nice, solid seeded whole-grain bread with a bit of European butter. Yum. :D What can I say? I'm German and Scots-Irish in heritage, so I like my hearty breakfast! This is an ideal day, though. Sometimes all I have time for is a banana with some peanut butter on it post-workout. I just try to mix some fat, protein and carbs in a fairly healthy package, and I feel fine and look fine doing so. :) I eat this whenever I feel the need post-workout, which these days is fairly soon afterwards.

I've never personally found protein powder to cause weight gain at all. I don't even drink it "lean" (i.e., no sugar, no dairy, measuring it out precisely). I use whole milk, probably 10 oz. a serving or so, I don't measure anything, and I never gain any weight with it at all. My protein powder comes in packets of individual servings. I used it daily while losing 100+ pounds, never had an issue. I think protein shakes are great simply because nutrient absorption is so nice and quick. They're convenient and you can throw a billion healthy things in them, assuming you use a blender. If you can find a protein powder that doesn't require a blender, though, I say all the better. Many powders are packed with vitamins and minerals, too- a big plus in my book. I will add that I avoid soy protein isolate like the plague, as I am extremely allergic to it. Many powders are made with that, or they have artificial sweeteners, which also make me quite ill. A little bit of real sugar in the protein powder has never hurt me or caused weight gain. Some carbs are necessary for brain functioning, I know that much. I don't worry about meal timing too much. My body and brain let me know when it's time to refuel, and I trust their signals. Every day is different.

I agree with Nathalie that just adding in a 20 to 40-grams-of-protein shake alone is not something I'd imagine would suffice as a weight-gaining tool with the average woman, assuming her diet is healthy otherwise and she works out vigorously at least 3x a week. Hard training requires refueling with plenty of protein, healthy carbs, and some good fats. Lately, I've needed to drink some fresh O.J. at some point during the day because the massive calorie burn of metabolic workouts is affecting my blood sugar more and more. (This is probably also a positive sign that my metabolism has sped up some, so no complaints there!) For the life of me, I don't know how anyone can follow a low-calorie diet for any length of time as an advanced exerciser working out 5-6 days a week. As a beginner/intermediate, I got away with strict dieting even while exercising that often. Now that I train so much lifting serious weight? Forget it, I wouldn't last a week on 1500 calories a day or less.

I find low-fat eating makes my joints achy, and every exterior part of me- skin, nails, cuticles, hair - turn dry as a bone. I take an extra-virgin coconut oil supplement for my dry skin/hair/nails and my joints. I've actually never looked so cut, in terms of muscle! It could just be a coincidence, though. Definitely no weight gain from that supplement, though.

I am always trying to find the perfect plan. I always workout in the mornings before I shower. I have found some protein powder helps me get the protein in post workout if I do not have something prepared ahead like pre-cooked turkey sausage, or maybe bison hot dogs, even egg muffins work well made ahead. Generally weight days I will have protein with some fat, small amount, maybe just added to some iced coffee if I use the powder pre-workout. Cardio days I do fasted having just coffee. Post workout I have protein and carbs and try to avoid the fat. That is the meal that needs to be eaten soon after the workout. Sometimes timing brings that to around lunch time for me. I have been using some recipes from the Performance Paleo Cookbook that have worked well for me. I believe some of the recipes suggest eggs in the shakes as optional to the protein powder. I haven't tried it though. Years ago I ate raw egg smoothies quite a bit. Then I have read that you should avoid letting the egg touch the outside of the shell when using them for things like mayonnaise. I do use them in olive oil mayo.

I am always trying to find the perfect plan. I always workout in the mornings before I shower. I have found some protein powder helps me get the protein in post workout if I do not have something prepared ahead like pre-cooked turkey sausage, or maybe bison hot dogs, even egg muffins work well made ahead. Generally weight days I will have protein with some fat, small amount, maybe just added to some iced coffee if I use the powder pre-workout. Cardio days I do fasted having just coffee.

I know each person is different but your post above has caught my attention. Funny I am trying to find a perfect plan for myself too.
I need to find a plan having just had some lack of energy. I know it is due to my nutrition. I too need some protein powder for
two reason. High protein content and because of 30-45 minutes time window post workout. The system absorbs it quickly.
At the same time I need to get back into preparing some small meal in bulk/batch.

I too find it easy to cardio workout fasted in the morning. Eating before just makes me uncomfortable.:)

Last edited:
Kinda hijacking this thread. But I thought this was interesting. Blog about eating 5-6 meals a day. He also writes about intermittent fasting. Enjoy!
http://blog.shareitfitness.com/2013/how-often-you-should-eat/

Douillard brings up some fascinating points here.

http://lifespa.com/dangers-of-frequent-eating/

Whether or not what he suggests works well for a Cathlete, there's the rub. I don't know if the people he studied were exercisers at all, let alone doing something like a tough Cathe rotation. I'm sure what we need from our diet varies from person to person. And it will probably vary for each of us as our lives evolve. We all have such different builds, goals, lifestyles, and rotations.

My great-grandparents all followed the traditional 3-meals-a-day lifestyle and had very strenuous work to do every day, far harder lives than most Americans have today from a physical standpoint, so...I suppose that's an equivalent to working out really hard most days of the week? I don't know. None of them were ever obese, and they ate pretty much whatever they wanted at meal times. It was balanced and fairly healthy, though. I guess we should each do what works for ourselves.

I'm not really good with making hard-and-fast rules at all, they tend to make me obsessive about stuff because I'm a perfectionist as it is. I don't aim to find the perfect plan, as there probably is no such thing and even if there was, I'd not be able to stick with it. Then I'd be beating myself up over that. No thanks! I have enough trouble obsessing over my exercise rotation and volume, LOL...

I wonder if, like exercise, our dietary habits need to be changed periodically to keep the body "guessing". Nutritional cross-training actually sounds like fun. :)

Liz

Whether or not what he suggests works well for a Cathlete, there's the rub. I don't know if the people he studied were exercisers at all, let alone doing something like a tough Cathe rotation. I'm sure what we need from our diet varies from person to person. And it will probably vary for each of us as our lives evolve. We all have such different builds, goals, lifestyles, and rotations.

My great-grandparents all followed the traditional 3-meals-a-day lifestyle and had very strenuous work to do every day, far harder lives than most Americans have today from a physical standpoint, so...I suppose that's an equivalent to working out really hard most days of the week? I don't know. None of them were ever obese, and they ate pretty much whatever they wanted at meal times. It was balanced and fairly healthy, though. I guess we should each do what works for ourselves.

I'm not really good with making hard-and-fast rules at all, they tend to make me obsessive about stuff because I'm a perfectionist as it is. I don't aim to find the perfect plan, as there probably is no such thing and even if there was, I'd not be able to stick with it.

Italics paragraph above is so true....We are becoming more sedentary than EVER....Kids (children) are glued at their
computers, games etc....Our ascendants/ancestors regardless of the continents they lived were not sendantary at all. Plus
food was not massively produced with thickners and all other nasties chemicals.

As to the paragraph further above, I suppose it is about intermittent fasting. IMHO it is just not a practice to recommend
on a long-term basis. Do not get me wrong I have done it now and then and it worked. I also learned quickly
that in long term it could mess up metabolism instead of just confusing it! It is okay IMO to confuse calories intake
but I just would not do it for more than a month! Plus this work for someone aiming to get rid of few pound.

I agree with you turquoise this IMO does not work for people involved in intense and heavy stuff!:)
This is not for people aiming to gain lean mass. It work for those who are after depletion---"slimming":oops::oops:
The result of a un-healthy depleted slimming process is visible. Yes this is not feasible for everyone's goal in terms of performance.
A depleted walking dead look is not everyone cup of tea:oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:. A spaghetti looking pair of arm is not everyone
goal. Just saying!

As to rotation, I enjoy conceiving my rotations based on my goal and the
challenge I am in the mood to take on. Once it is done I would rather stick to it rather than look
and envy what is on my friend plate:p:p:p. Once it is completed, all i want is to get on with the job/work ;). JMHO

Last edited:
Last edited:
Zenara I have picked up recipes from Wellness Mama's site. I have not tried that Protein Powder though, I have purchased Reserveage Organics Whey Protein Grass Fed from Amazon and Paleo Pro that is beef protein. Interestingly I had that in chocolate and it really tasted good. I was a little worried about taste.

Zenara I have picked up recipes from Wellness Mama's site. I have not tried that Protein Powder though, I have purchased Reserveage Organics Whey Protein Grass Fed from Amazon and Paleo Pro that is beef protein. Interestingly I had that in chocolate and it really tasted good. I was a little worried about taste.

Thanks Diane, I'll have to check those out.

Also hijacking a little too. I've just started this plan to help my Leptin levels. So far I'm loving it. I've had no desire for my usual cravings even though it's TTOM. I had genetic testing done and apparently I'm extremely prone to Leptin resistance. http://wellnessmama.com/5356/fix-your-leptin/

Also has anyone tried this protein powder? I really like the ingredients and may try it. http://www.amazon.com/Emerald-Essentials-Action-Protein-Chocolate/dp/B00I1MXOI4

Hi Zenara25,

I am retrieving your post above hoping you could chime in.
How are you doing with your plan above aiming to control Leptin Level.

How did you found out you were resistant?

Last edited:
I LOVE Shakeology from Beachbody!
Shakeology is your daily dose of dense nutrition. It's simply the most delicious, superfood-packed protein shake I have ever tried.

I LOVE Shakeology from Beachbody!
Shakeology is your daily dose of dense nutrition. It's simply the most delicious, superfood-packed protein shake I have ever tried.

What flavor is your favorite? I've been thinking about trying Shakeology for a while now. Only the price is holding me back.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.