PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION: Month 1

Good morning ladies.... ummmmm...yes.. okay... it IS still morning in North Carolina... but barely.......lol

I have too many new toys to play with... I got my 4 new Cathe DVDs late yesterday afternoon: Butts & Guts, Slow and Heavy, STS Total Body and Ab something (I think it's Ab Circuits... they are downstairs).

Anyway... last night I sat :rolleyes: and watched Butts & Guts all the way through and made notes of the exercises in the main program and then a list of the premixes and the times so I can put them on my spreadsheet. I'm not ready for that DVD yet.. yikes.. it's a killer !! Tonight I'll preview STS Total Body.. I'm excited to try that one.......

And.... ta da... yesterday afternoon I bought my new cell phone ... after 48 hours of intense Googling and reading reviews til my brain was about to explode. I ended up splurging and getting the new iPhone 4S. Now I have to learn how to use it. That's what I've been doing all morning.... lol

I pulled the User Guide up on my desktop PC and I've been sitting here with iPhone in one hand, coffee in the other hand and going thru the User Guide page by page. I have a looooooooong way to go.. but I'm having fun.

Good thing today is my Official Rest Day on my workout schedule :D

Sounds like everyone is doing great !!!!! Deanna - I love that you are loving the gym !!! Stacy and FnV - I sit in awe of the variety in your workout collections. I can barely keep track of my Cathe DVDs... lol. Maybe someday I'll branch out.

I semi-blew my eating plan yesterday. With all my running around yesterday, it ended up being 3:00 and I hadn't eaten since oatmeal and banana early yesterday morning... and lo and behold.. there was McDonald's. Sigh.... I went thru the drive in window and got a Quarter Pounder with Cheese..... nothing else. So I blew my fat grams for the day, but I had fat free Greek yogurt and fresh blueberries for supper so my total calorie count for the day was right on target. But I ate NO veggies yesterday. Shall have a sweet potato today for lunch along with some hard boiled eggs.

FnV - I've never tried steel cut oats.... I've read about them and seen them in the store. Do you like them a lot more than regular Old Fashioned... cook-on-the-stove Quaker Oatmeal? How are steel cut oats different? Taste? Nutrition? I need to try them if I'm going to continue to have oatmeal for breakfast every day.

Have a great day my friends !!!!!

Progress, not Perfection.... yes.. I'm looking at you McDonald's... :rolleyes:

We CAN do this... we ARE doing this !!!!

Go Team... we ROCK !!!! (tm FnV)

Hello everyone. No workout today, Fridays are always my planned rest day, also my cheat diet day, so not much to report other than that.

I feel a drippy, sore throat coming on, so we'll see how I feel this weekend to workout. Might be just as well as I'm working all weekend too.

Off to drink some water to flush out the pizza sodium!

See you in the morning.

I'm doubtful a workout is going to happen today....sore throat is worse and feel crummy, yet still have to work all weekend :(

I'll just concentrate on fluids and healthy eating today.

Check back later...

Good morning all !!!

Stacy - sending lots of hugs your way... nothing worse than having to work when you feel crummy. Take care of yourself as best you can and take it easy.

Not much to report here yet today. Yesterday was my rest day and today I have total body on the schedule. Not sure which workout I'll do for that. I need to go out in a few minutes, so will do my workout this afternoon.

I had a major carb attack yesterday. I'll be fine for several days, then I have this awful urge to eat tons of bread or potato chips or anything made with white flour... geeze... I held off pretty well. I have some whole grain rye bread and I had 2 slices of that with some of my olive oil butter spread on them and that satisfied the craving without totally blowing my eating plan.

Progress, not perfection !!! Always..... :)

Have a wonderful day..

I'll check back later...

Well I finagled working from home today, but I have to put in more hours, but that's okay.

Susan...I'm exactly the same way! I do well for a few days and then have a potato chip attack! What has helped is allowing myself more healthy carbs during the day like the oatmeal or maybe a few crackers with my tuna salad. And also just "giving in" and getting the occasional bag of chips from the vending machine at work. If I dont do that I end up buying a HUGE bag from the grocery store on my day off and eating the whole darn thing!

On that note I'm having a slice of leftover pizza for breakfast/lunch! I'm definitely going to keep it to one slice and just eat something light later for dinner, maybe just yogurt and fruit. I'm not feeling up to any extravagant meal anyways.

Are you going to try STS Total Body today? I'd also suggest doing the ab work from Legs & Glutes at some point...it's great!!

While I've been "at work" this morning, I was looking at Tracey Staehle's Walking Stronger workout at collagevideo, it got alot of good reviews, so may have to put that on my Xmas list. It's a treadmill workout that incorporates light weights.

Anyway...back to work for me!

Last edited:
I did a 30 min Express premix from CCC. I reminded me of a BR workout just a little longer than Zuzanna, which in turn reminded me that BR are pretty much one type of workout that I can keep in the pantry, but shouldn't be the only thing I eat. : )

I hope you feel better Stacy, and enjoy working from home today.

Susan, I can't call you Grandma. 1st of all, we are all old enough to be grannies (or close to it). 2nd of all, if you are going to be grandma, you've got to be Viking Grandma or Power Grandma or Grandma the Conqueror- in order to conjure up the strong fit image we are all pursuing. : D But, I do want to express how much respect I have for you for jumping into Cathe with both feet as well as acknowledge that it is harder to do so with every year older we are, especially for the first time. You Rock!!
And congrats on your I phone. I had an unhappy ending with ATT and use an Evo from Sprint, but really enjoy having it. Technology and society has come a long way...I remember my mom sitting up on Sun night waiting to call her sister in OH after 11 when the rates went down.

OK, Deanna, whats up this weekend??

Lets keep it clean and healthy this weekend, ladies, ttyl

Thank you for the kind words FnV. I learned from my mother that the best way to stay healthy as we age is to keep moving. Both of my parents went to an exercise class at their retirement community 3 times a week for an hour. It wasn't anything strenuous, but it was a great one hour stretching program. And that's when my parents were in their mid-to-late 80s. They were both very active all their lives and my brother and I were as kids also.

It's only in the last 10 - 15 years that I have stopped being as active as I used to be. Not totally sedentary, but not doing nearly enough. I'm so glad that I'm back at it now... with the best support group in the universe !!!!

My contract was up with AT&T, so when my Blackberry broke last week I switched to Sprint and got my iPhone from them. I really really really like the Sprint store in our area. Super helpful employees. I just came back from the Apple Store.... what a madhouse on a Saturday afternoon before Christmas. Yikes. You'd never know the economy is in trouble by looking at the crowd in the Apple Store. Wow !! I just went to buy a case for my new phone and I could barely find a parking space.

Stacy - I hope you are feeling better!!!

Deanna - I'm waiting for your personal trainer report !!!!

I just got home and it's almost 6:00. I don't think I'm going to do a workout today. I'm feeling like I'm coming down with a cold too, so think I'll make some hot tea and sit a spell.

See ya'll in the morning for coffee. I'm meeting a friend for brunch at the Cracker Barrel mid-morning tomorrow... sigh. Not a good idea. I'll gain the pound back that I lost earlier in the week... sigh...

Progress, not perfection !!!! :D

I had a bowl of kashi cereal for dinner. Easy clean up!

Susan...you could decide to make "progress" at Cracker Barrel and decide ahead of time to get scrambled egg whites and fresh fruit and dont waiver from your decision once you get there. Just a thought ;)

FnV...I liked your "grandma" names, hehe.

Deanna...hope you're busy drinking all your water.

I had about 50 oz of fluids today, which is alot for me, mostly to soothe my throat, but whatever the reason!

FnV - I loved your Grandma names too... lol. I'll stick with Susan though. I only use my Grandma moniker when I am being stern and shaking my finger at you young 'uns :p

Stacy - I was pondering my Cracker Barrel problem this afternoon. In the past, I would have had the Old Timer's Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs, 3 slices of bacon, hash brown casserole and biscuits with butter and jelly.. and coffee.. of course. So.... was thinking about 2 scrambled eggs and 2 biscuits and skip the bacon and hash brown casserole..... But oh so tempting.... However, I keep reminding myself that we have a weigh in Monday morning......

Deanna - are you back from the gym yet????? I want to know how it went !!!!

Funny thing when I was at the Sprint store Thursday afternoon. I told the nice young man that was helping me (probably mid-20s), that my very first cell phone was a Bag Phone..... lol. He had no idea what that was...so he Googled it while I was standing there and he was flabbergasted.....

Do any of you remember those?

I had to google it but yes! Why did you have one??? did you need it for work or something or are you always just cutting edge?? : )
I like Sprint too. I didn't know they did iphones now. Dont tell my dtr.

Never heard of a Bag Phone...googled it and still have no idea what it is/was!

I'm feeling like a need my stomach pumped. Hubby came home tonight with burgers and fries. I of course ate the burger (even tho I wasnt hungry) and had a few fries :(

Thanks for the reminder that weigh-in is Monday!!

Diet today isnt pretty...

B/L---large slice of pizza
D---bowl of cereal
D#2---burger, fries

Oink, oink.

FnV - I only got a bag phone because my husband (now ex) thought it was a good thing to have while I was driving around town.. in case of an emergency. And I thought it was cool !!! and it was. It was the cell phone of the day... just about 10 pounds heavier than the cell phones we have now... lol

Stacy - It was the very first cell phone. It was a black bag.. about the size of a large rectangular purse, with a huge battery in a zip case and a handset about the size of an old landline telephone handset and the whole thing zipped up around 3 sides and it had a handle to carry it around. You had to plug it into the cigarette lighter in the car to use it. I can't remember if you could charge it in the house.... or how you did it.... It was big and heavy, but it worked and it was quite the thing. That must have been in the mid-to-late 80s.....

Here's one....

Motorola Vintage Bag Phone | eBay

re: the iPhone... yes.. when they first came out, you could only get them at AT&T. Now you can also get them at Verizon and Sprint....

see y'all in the morning for coffee....

Last edited:
Good morning everyone !!!

I've caught whatever Stacy has... sigh. I feel like "you-know-what" this morning.... and I have to meet my friend for brunch at 10... good thing my stomach isn't sick.... just sinuses, sore throat and respiratory junk.

so I'll do a quick brunch and then home to my comfy chair, ottoman and quilt in the living room and hunker down with the kitty cats and catch up on some TV shows that I've DVR'ed.....

lots of water and hot tea on my agenda today..

I'll check back later....

Progress, not perfection !!!

My cold/sore throat thing did go to a stomach thing last night. I was up all night :( I still am afraid to drink anything even this morning. No workout for me today and if I do lose weight for weigh-in tomorrow I'm sure it'll be water weight. Unfortunately I'm still working from home today, running on 45 min of sleep right now. Gonna be a long day.

May not check back again til tomorrow.

Stay healthy everyone.

Stacy, maybe you should call in sick, even if you are working from home. I hope you feel better soon.

Susan, you too, are you loaded up with tea and TiVo?

Deanna, where are you this weekend?

I did IMAX2 this morning and went to bd class at 130, first time for that in a month. I love it.

Back to the books...

Edited to add my Mon workouts since I was the last one to post yest eve...

I did 4DS LIS this morning- started late, running late, but hate to shower while still cooling off

Last edited:
Morning

This was a uneventful weekend. My son came home with donuts Saturday morning and I gorged myself with them and milk, they were soooo good. Today is a new day.

No gym for me today, however I may come home and do Cathe or one of my new 20min Firm dvds. :) I currently go to the gym on Tuesday and Thursday.

Time to get myself ready for work, I will check in later.
Deanna

WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER

Hello, I'm feeling better today, went to work but had nothing to eat except about 1 cup of steamed rice and Gatorade. I felt good enough to eat after work so had more rice and a baked chicken breast. I'm going to chill out and watch tv tonight but I am going to get back into working out tomorrow.

Despite the stomach bug my weight held steady instead of dropping, go figure, lol. Down 3 lbs since last Monday...so Progress!

Good morning, enjoying (finally) a cup of coffee this morning. I missed my coffee when I was sick, hehe.

I dont think I'm quite ready to do a major heart thumping workout today so I'm going to try out Turbo Barre for the first time. Light weights and Cathe and the crew are barefoot, sounds like a perfect one for me today.

Today I'm going to start wrapping xmas presents too, have a good day, I'll check later!

Susan...how are you feeling today??

FnV...do you get a holiday break from school?

Deanna...have a good time at the gym today!

Remember Cathe's suggestion....25 pushups and 50 crunches for each holiday indulgence!! ;)

Good morning my friends !!

Stacy - I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better !!!

I've been down since Sunday afternoon. After coming home from brunch with my friend Sunday morning, I changed back into my jammies and I'm still in them... lol. I felt awful yesterday, but today is better.. I'm on the mend.

But no workout for me today... I think I'll be able to get back to it tomorrow.

I did manage to weigh myself yesterday morning... only down 1/2 pound for the week. Considering that I had been down 1 pound last Thursday, that was discouraging... but.. hey... a 1/2 pound is a 1/2 pound.. at least it was in the right direction.

Even though I've been sick for the last 2 days, there was nothing wrong with my stomach... lol. It was all respiratory.... so I ate.. and no exercise.. sat in my chair with the quilt wrapped around me and my 2 kitty cats cuddled up and we watched endless TV...

Today.. shall get up and move around and get some things done around the house.

Deanna - did you have your personal trainer session at the gym Saturday??? Doesn't sound like it.... did you reschedule???

FnV - do you get a nice long break from school for Christmas/New Years?

Progress, not perfection my friends !!!!

Susan, glad YOU are feeling better too! Being sick stinks! I DID have a stomach thing and didnt even lose 1/2 lb lol, how does that work??

Well, Turbo Barre, kicked my butt, literally!! What a great workout that was. I even had to pause on the upper body segments and had to drop down to 3 lb weights. I'm sure a little had to do with me being on the mend, but nonetheless, me thinks I'm going to have to incorporate this workout into my weekly schedule. I skipped only one section (a one-legged squat sequence, never sure about those and the old knees). The ab section had some new exercises I had never done before and I definitely felt them.

I have SO many workout rotation ideas running thru my mind! I keep jumping from one to another, but my goal is to stick with something for 6 weeks before I change. I really think this will help me see results and PROGRESS :)

Off to wrap some presents (I have the day off today, yay!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.