Premenopause poster child checks in

AKirkland

Cathlete
Hey fellow sufferers...

I was finally able to start the low dose bc pills yesterday, so we'll see what happens. I'm keepin' my fingers crossed.

How's everyone else doing? Clare?

Angela

I'm so hoping they work for you!

The only negative side effect that I noticed almost immediately was breast tenderness but that stopped after about three weeks.

I've been on bc pills a coupla times before and never had any problems. In fact, I went up a cup size, which was a nice side effect! ;-)

Angela

Hi Angela,

Hope the bc's work for you. I have to skip any hormones. I'm using Prozac for mood swings and calcium supplements to help combat bone loss (coupled with Cathe's weight tapes, of course). I haven't had any problems since I went on the Prozac. I just wish I would have started it sooner! Good luck.
Blessings,
Denise

Hi Angela

I had been experiencing night sweats, hot flashes and weight gain since I turned 41 (I am 43 now). I gained 8lbs. during marathon training. I lost a few but since this past month have gained 8lbs. I missed my period for a month. I read about someone who is a member here that took Natrol's Complete Balance AM/PM. The ingredients are natural and I decided I would give it a try. I never felt sooooo good! I got my period within 2 days of taking it (this is my second week). I cannot tell you how good I sleep now and I seem calmer (mood swings are held at bay!!!) I feel energerized. My workouts have been really great - running and weights. So far this stuff works. I do have a doctors appointment scheduled for April 5th. I need to know how "in to premenopause" I am or if I have a thyroid problem. I eat very clean...I stay away from process foods and eat a rich, high-fiber diet with vegetables, whole grains (kasha, millet, whole oats, unprocessed wheat bran), lean meats (chicken, variety of fish, lean cuts of pork, turkey), fruit and dairy (mainly cottage cheese, skim milk, egg whites or substitute, plain yogurt). I have been eating more flaxseeds and nuts, too. I try to keep my calorie count between 1500 to 1800 calories. I workout 6 days a week. I hope the weight starts to come off. But I did hear that when you are in perimenopause, your metabolism slows..no matter what you do...

Good luck! At least I have women who understand what I am going through with the same lifestyle.

babydollsea :)

My fingers are crossed for you too Angela. Me? I'm waiting for my gyne appt in early April. Finally. I'm taking Celexa (antidepressant) but real low dose, but I would like to get rid of it within 6 months if I can get my hormones sorted out.

But I am back exercising again after my 8-9 month break and it feels great, I'm already getting my cardio fitness back and did PLB and PUB today, of which I matched Cathe for lower body poundage but the PUB left my arms dangling by my sides, throbbing! This workout is a killer!!!!!

At least I am active and fitting more comfortably into my jeans and feeling more like the usual sleek, high energy me.

Chat to you soon,

Clare

Babydollsea,

You need to ask your doctor about one of the active ingredients in the AM formula, Black Cohosh.

I've been reading that you're not supposed to take it for more than 6 months straight. I also read a warning about that ingredient in last weeks issue of TIME magazine. Just because a product is natural, doesn't mean it's safe. It has been used by European women for a long time but is not approved by the FDA.

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/blackcohosh.html#a9

Angela and Clare!

Angela, I hope this does the trick for you. Keep us posted! Clare, great to hear you are back to your tapes!!! Woo-Hooo! PLB & PUB in one day? Whew! I know my arms would be dangling tooo! Tee-Hee! Keep up the good work. Glad to "see" you feeling better.
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

It is so amazing to see your post today. Yesterday made me feel that I am definitely perimenopausal. I was so bloated & miserable. A couple of nights ago, I woke up around 2:30 and did not go back to sleep until 5:00. And talk about being miserable - ugghh. I pulled out Christian Northrup book "The Wisdom of Menopause." The book discusses all aspects of menopause, body, mind & spirit. I recommend the book to all women, to help understand what is going on. Dr. Northrup also has a website drnorthrup.com - Empowering Women's Wisdom - the site is very informative. At least I know where to come for information. Oh yeah, Dr. Northrup stresses that exercise is very beneficial while you go thru menopause.

Yep, when it hits, it can hit ya hard. There are several other ladies on this forum that are going through a similar ordeal. You may have missed the earlier thread.

I read two different books on premenopause. The first recommended OTC natural progesterone cream, the second recommended low dose bc pills. I tried the progesterone cream first, since that was the line of least resistance. Although it helped regulate my periods, it didn't help my other symptoms much, so now I'm trying the bc pills.

Angela

Thanks for the update Angela. I am interested in that natural product listed up above. Very interesting. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it.

Briee

Hello ladies. I'm going to jump into your thread with some complaints of my own! I'm 42 and I've just noticed changes in the last year. I'm still having regular cycles but some months will be 'normal' and the next month I'm practically bleeding to death...soaking a super tampon every 15 minutes. I have also been experiencing very sore/tender/swollen breasts two weeks before my period and really nasty headaches at the beginning of my periods. The first month I experienced these maladies I thought I was pregnant! I'm assuming these symptoms are all perimenopausal? I've always considered myself to be very lucky since I've never suffered from any PMS effects so these problems I'm having now I'm just plain not used to!

Have you mentioned these symptoms to your doctor? You should. With a lot of heavy bleeding you could become anemic.

I just wanted to say that I take black cohosh all of the time. It has been about 3 years straight. It was recpmmended by my doctor. I always tell the doctors that I am taking it when I fill out my forms for physicals, recently surgury. They have never told me not to take it or that it reacts with anything else. It has been highly benefitial for me. The only thing I have had a doctor warn me about is if you take any hormones be careful with soy isoflavones. I am currently tapering off of Evista, which can cause hot flashes in itself. I took Premarin for a short while. The Evista was to help with osteopena. I am hoping when I talk to my doctor next month I can switch to something else for this. The last dexascan I had showed that this had been reversed using the Evista.
Diane Sue

Actually Cheryl, due to my low blood pressure I am always anemic. This has been an issue all my life. Used to get brutal nose bleeds as a child and they would last all day and I would look like a ghost until my blood supply had been replenished. My doctor suggests this is why I'm now getting the severe headaches...the loss of blood in the months when I do have a very heavy flow compounded by my low blood pressure. I suppose I have been fortunate that I've not had these problems since puberty. My doctor is associating these chemical changes to my age. *sigh*

One more reason to keep myself fit so I don't completely fall apart at 60. But certainly you are right. This is something I need to keep an eye on in case it would get worse. One of my sister's just had a partial hysterectomy due to the passing of very large blood clots during her period(the size of her hand she said) and she was having constant break through bleeding and was virtually having a period all month and the flow was very heavy. She was dangerously anemic to the point that her doctor wanted her to quit exercising, even quit working until they could get her RBC's up. I did not realize that severe anemia, such as she had, could lead to a stroke! She is doing fine now and is back to her regular routine and feeling like her old self again. She let this condition go unchecked for two years before she finally went to a different GYN and thankfully that doctor was more concerned with her problems. I think too many times doctor's just want to dismiss the complaints of 40+ year old women as being menopause and just leave it at that to correct itself in time. I was stunned that her regular doctor thought those extremely large blood clots were 'normal'. My doctor has always told me, after childbirth, that any blood clot bigger than a quarter needs to be brought to her attention...and my sister's were the size of her palm! Ack!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.