Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/16

Today I did Rapid Fire Results with Susan Chung, 77 minutes, 509 calories, 5,108 steps. I used 5# dumbbells and 1.5# weighted gloves. That is it for the day. I spent a lot of my morning between playing with my grandson working with the AT&T agent and also checking tire prices as my husband tire tread flew off of his car yesterday on the freeway. The tires are old as the old lady that owned it originally just left it sit in the garage for years. So, we have to get new tires. It is in the shop as he hit something on the freeway which is why the tire fell apart and it bent up some of the underside of the wheel well. Anyway, this agent tried a lot of things and was helpful. I had the choice of getting another phone and instructions to help avoid the problem happening again or their tech department searching for what the problem is. I told them I did not want to put up with the phone acting like this long, so they are sending another with the help information. Odd she asked me to check Google play for an update to Android System Web View. When I checked it said enable it. I went to my apps and it was there and disabled. It would not let me enable it. I told the agent that I do not disable system apps. Anyway, we will see what happens. We rarely have problems and I usually never purchase the extended warranty, but this time I did. I am glad that I did. When I heard how short the warranty was and how little the warranty period does, I decided to pay the extended price that even covers accidents and loss.

Carolyn, I checked and it can take a lot longer than even that for the eyes to go back to normal. I thought in the past it had been just a couple of hours but I had my eyes dilated early afternoon and when I went to bed at 10 they were still not back to normal. I was happy when I could see well the next morning. He put drops in my eyes 3 times. I don't remember the drops being administered that many times in the past either. Good that you had no cataracts. I had given my son my cast iron skillet when he left home. I just kept the two smaller ones. Then more recently I started worrying about how unhealthy using Teflon is. I went out and purchsed a 12 inch skillet. I want a big one and the grill would be nice as well. I just rub them with some bacon grease every so often and I know they will get cooked some when I warm the oven to help season them. I clean them with some grease and salt solution every so often. I saw that on some tips on facebook. Anyway, I really like them. I tried stainless steal and everything sticks, My dutch oven is porcelain.

reHi, all,
I don't think I am doing anything today, and we are expecting company, who were supposed to be here in the afternoon, but still did not arrive. Frank and I are cleaning today, and we have a 7 room home that has wooden floors throughout. I wanted to go to that wonderful bakery cafe today, but they are only closed one day a week, and it is Tuesday.

I always have questions, and my last one was how many of us are on HRT. I cannot stand the summer, and I would be really suffering if I did not take something. We have our air conditioners running non stop. How many here use Retin A, and how do you like it. I have been using it for 20 years, and I love it. I also can get it without a script.

Caitlin-I've been using some retinol products from Ulta, but I haven't used Retin A. I might have to look at that.

Caitlin, I used Retin A for a long time and it always left my skin irritated. I recently resumed using it after I discovered that if I put on my moisturizer ahead of time and let it absorb for 30 minutes before putting on the Retin A, that it works great for me. Since my daughter is a PA in dermatology I have no problem getting it. I also try to use anti oxidant products which she recommends. I have been using the 100% pure Matcha serum in the mornings and the moisturizer at night. This works really nicely for me. I lean toward oily acne prone skin though that is sensitive to a lot of products.

Good evening ladies!

Today was a rest day. Needed to leave early for our Golf Tourney. 2 1/2 hour drive for me! Ugh. Was not looking forward to it. I do not golf but I help set up and a coworker and I drive around in a golf cart taking pictures. We did have fun just the ride was horrible. Very long day.

Diane Sue....very nice workout for your only one!!! Lol! I pretty much throw my ankle weights on for every workout now. I feel funny now with out them! I received the Urban #3 compilation yesterday and looks pretty good. This is the last one that I ordered. Still very dated but feel I can have fun with the workouts. Will let you know.

Deb....ha! No it came on Sunday night. After it was all over we were too excited to go to bed and sleep. So we stayed up and chatted longer than we should have. Hope you catch up on sleep tonight.

Caroyln...funny they say in a couple of hours for your eyes to get back to normal. This does not happen with me...takes most of the day and then then the pupils are still not normal.

Caitlin...I do not use HRT's but I have used Retin A for about 12 years now. I started off with the lowest and gradually increased to the strongest. I love what it has done for my skin. My complexion is really smooth. Most people are surprised when I tell them I am 55. I usually buy it while in Mexico and I stock up. Fraction of the cost!

Have a great night all!

https://www.target.com/p/lodge-cast...VnbXACh33GQvzEAQYBSABEgK7vPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds some pics of a lodge grill pan. I have a double burner one and a single burner one I just bought. I am not sure porcelain coated would work but the plain cast iron works beautifully. I would never wrestle with chicken on a grill any other way now. DH and I were amazed as it always is a battle with boneless skinless breasts sticking. I never saw this on a cooking show. I recommend this method!.

I used HRT for 12 years but not full dose most of the time. tapered after a couple years. I have rosacea and retin A is not recommended so I've never tried it. My skin looks pretty good I think but anything that causes faster cell turnover is probably trouble for rosacea. I have no sign of it for many years now but I don'rt want to take a chance of making it flare up.

we did a hike today. 6 hours. plus long drive. I'm cross eyed tired now. I pay extra for a different procedure so I don't need to be dilated. why is that always the sunny cloudless day?

Good morning,

Yesterday I did one of the time saver premixes from S&S Total Body Giant Sets. This is from the Fit Tower rotation that includes S&S and R/WHIIT workouts.

Diane Sue, maybe it's time to look at changing your phone provider? If I had that much trouble with AT&T updates, I would switch to someone else. That is scary about your husband's tire on the freeway!

Carolyn, that great that your eye exam went well. I like my 2 cast iron skillets, and Dutch Oven, but sometimes they are so heavy to use, that I fall back on my ceramic cookware.

Caitlin, I have some Retin A, (actually Retinol)...but not prescription strength. I use hydraulic acid faithfully every day. The person that does my facials said my skin texture is great, (whatever that means!)...and that it is this product that does it. Now as for wrinkles, nothing I have ever used has helped with that. :)

Lori, that golf outing sounds nice, except for the drive...ugh...that is a long time in the car in one day...Assume this was a work thing?

Valerie, thanks for posting the link. I can see how that would make grill clean up so much easier.

Not sure about a workout today. I woke up with a stiff neck, must have slept on it wrong somehow...I can;t turn my head to the right. I hope it's better by class tonight. Kylee and I need to practice. I have entered a trial in Erie PA on Saturday...

Take care,

I have a plain cast iron pan too, but I use the grill pan the most. I like the grill marks. Now I will use it more! we've had the barbecue a few years but it was always a battle to get the chicken unstuck. I didn't use it often DH always overcooks things. this is so simple and works so well. the easier clean up is an added bonus. I am an instant convert to this method. the marinade didn't drip into the grill bottom either but stayed on the pan. I'm sure a regular cast iron frypan would work the same. I

diane sue I agree with Deb, might be time to look at switching carriers. that is too much frustration especially if it keeps repeating.

the date of tire manufacture is printed on the side wall. you will have to look up how to read the code. even if the tread is good, the rubber deteriorates over time and they need to be replaced. I forget the exact number of years, but maybe 10? I have tires on my "04 Forester that are old, still have good tread, so I watch them carefully. I don't do a lot of mileage on them so probably won't wear them out. we likely will have to replace them. would not want the tire to come apart on the freeway!

Today I did Kelly Coffey Meltdown mix dumbbell meltdown which was the kettlebell swings with the upper dumbbell work in 3 rounds and workout boxing/heavybag 2 rnds after each set of upper for 3 rounds of weights and boxing. I liked this and it seemed to keep my heart rate up as well. 45 minutes, 278 calories, heart rate avg. 123/ max 172. I then did Fit Tower Total Body which took extra time to write down things and adjust things, 59 minutes, 242 calories. Total time 1 hour 44 minutes , 520 calories.
Meltdown dumbbells3 rounds with two boxing segments after each moves are around 1 minute each
kettlebell or dumbbell swings 15#, 25# 25#kettlebell
seated overhead press with feet off floor moving from one hand to the other 15# all 3 rounds
seated row and biceps curls 15's all 3 rounds
bench press skull crushers 15's all 3 rounds
boxing 2 rounds repeat two more times
Total body
uneven squats 25# 16 rep
deadlifts 55#
elevated lunges 15's16 reps/15 reps pulses
bench press 45# barbell 16 reps /second set different count
close grip bench press barbell 35# 16 reps,/ 2nd set different count
chest flys 15's 2 sets
drop set push ups bar height 3/2/1 12,10,8 reps
triceps dips 32 reps 2 sets
triceps kickbacks with band straight arm then kickbacks 32 reps 2 sets
static lunge lateral raise 10# set 1, 8# set 2
bonus band pull 120 reps
dumbbell touchdown overhead press 15# 12/12/
shoulders biarbell push press complex 30# 4 sets of the whole complex
biceps curls 35# barbell different counts and holds
bicep curl/W curl front leg raise 15# 12 reps 2 sets
single leg push down dips using bar and dumbbell 15# 16/ 15 low end pulse
crossback lunge 20# 15,7,7,3,3,3,3,8 reps
one arm row 25# 12 reps 2 sets I thought I may have done 16 reps the first set
seated lat pull down blue heavy band 32 reps
pull ups with tower 10 reps 2 sets
verticle pull ups 2/2 count then 2 singles 5 times

Lori, it will be interesting to see what you think of compilation 3.

Deb, we have an appointment to get new tires Friday when he is off. Right now he is using my car. I can't go to another provider for another year. AT&T had a two year contract. The thing I liked about T mobile is we could change any time we wanted. The only problem was they just did not have good coverage in out of town areas.

Valerie, my last cast iron skillet is a lodge brand. I want one of those grills. I will check Amazon and see what they have. These tires were not worn out, the car had very few miles on it. It sat in an elderly womans garage for years without being driven, hence we had it tuned up when we got it. The tire tread just rotted sitting there. In fact , my son followed my husband to the mechanic to have it checked and the tire itself did not even lose air. The tread is cracked on the other tires, so safety in driving it is not a good idea.

Today I did FT Legs, Glutes and Core before leaving for an appointment. I would like to do a short cardio with this when I have more time.

Valerie, that is the same stovetop grill that I have and I purchased it from Target several years ago. I bought it for cooking pancakes on the flat side but I like the grill marks also. We do most of our grilling outside but occasionally I will do it on the stove. Now that you're have reminded me, I will use the grill pan for simplicity.

Diane Sue, my mother had a 1988 Buick with less than 100,000 miles on it before she passed away 2 years ago. The tires looked like new but had to be replaced due to age and dry rot. My husband had the same thing happen with what I call his midlife crisis 2002 Mustang. He rarely drives it, but had to buy new tires two months ago.

Enjoy your afternoon.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was an Interval Bound from one of the Urban DVD's. It was fun. 30 mins 220 cal. Tonight was FT Bootcamp followed up with SB's Strong Back. 71 mins / 393 cal.

Diane Sue....I think I will like #3 compilation the best. Enjoyed today's workout and the others all look good. I just need to get past the 80's aerobics girl! They seem to be a good and fun cardio workout. Nothing too crazy. I will enjoying mixing and matching segments and pulling together all my favorite moves into one workout. My skin took well to Retin A and I am fortunate. I did peel for a year though and that was kind of gross but I kept with it and new once this phase was over I would love using it. I stuck it out and so happy I did. I use it on my throat and decollage area with out any issues.

Valerie...using that cast iron grill in your gas grill was brilliant! I showed my husband and he wants one! What do they do if they do not dilate your eyes? Never knew there was another option. 6 hour hike! Awesome!

Carolyn...I like the FT Legs and Glutes but feel I need more when finished. Hard to believe I am already into the 3 week of the 30day rotation.

Judy...I started SB's 2 week rotation this week and as always I love it. Have you ever done the Strong Back workout? Works upper and lower back and shoulders too. One of my favorite SB's workouts.

Deb...yes the golf was a work thing. It really was a lot of fun. I hate when I wake with a stiff neck. Hope it is feeling better tonight. Go Kylee!! Fingers crossed for her.

Have a great night all.

Carolyn, that is exactly what the guys said about the tires on our car. They called it dry rot. The car i s a nice Lincoln with everything on it, but it sat in a garage for 9 years. It only has about 60,000 on it now. The car itself was a great deal. The woman's son let us take it to the shop and have it gone over before we purchased it. He just wanted to get rid of it.

Lori, Compilation 2 and 3 both had some stuff that I liked on them. They are dated and it seems a bit funny at times but they are good and like I said, I found some that were fun. The core bound one was kind of like yoga with some core planks etc. with a bit more activity than just a plain yoga workout. I do wish it was shorter though. I liked it, but I don't like having to spend over 30 minutes on it. I would do it more if it was shorter.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a Fit Tower Total Body Premix. It was a good workout, but unfortunately my low back started bothering me as soon as I started the leg work. It wasn't as bad as before, but I backed off the weight and modified the leg work. I went to the chiropractor in the afternoon and that helped. She suggested that I avoid lower body weight work for a few more days. It's much better today, it just seems to flair up as soon as I start doing squats and/or deadlifts. This morning I did an indoor ride and stretch max.

Deb-I'm sorry about your neck. I hope it is feeling better now.

Valerie-I misunderstood, I thought you were moving there permanently. It sounds like you will have a very nice vacation home!
No, you aren't alone on hating to change the barbell weights : )

Diane Sue-Awesome job with the workouts!

Lori-I think I'm going to have to resubscribe to SB. I wasn't using it much so I didn't renew last April. I remember some of her lower body routines were really good for me when I was having back issues a couple of years ago. I do remember the strong back routine. It was a good one.

Hi to Carolyn & Caitlin!

Judy

Lori it was genius, but not MY genius. it was in the grill package info. I was only smart enough to read their info. I was amazed at how well it worked.

took the day off today. didn't sleep well, and my nose and eyes bothered me from something yesterday. windburn/ sunburn or something. did not get sore from the hike which was an easy 6 hours. we spent a good 90 min sitting around looking at stuff.

Judy we hope to use it all year round. we always go to that area and it's gotten so hard to find places to stay. we could live there full time and maybe it will come to that but I doubt it. Montana winters are long and tough.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, my neck was bothering me so much, I could not turn my head. I did go to agility class, but it was an effort.

Valerie, I want to look at getting one of those grill pans....especially since it helps with keeping the grates on the grill clean.

Diane Sue, I checked Amazon, they have the exact one that Valerie showed from Target, same price, free shipping with Prime. :).

Lori, great workouts! I don't know if I could keep up with the Retin A if it caused peeling for a year, but it seems like it paid off for you! :).

Judy, that is too bad about the lower body work and your back. Can you replace squats and deadlifts with something else like lunges?

I may try a workout this morning, my neck is still sore, but better than yesterday...maybe the endorphins will help.

Take care,

Today's workout was RWH Low Impact HiiT and FT Bonus Abs.

Judy, it's a good idea to avoid the deadlifts and squats for a while. I always try to give myself mental cues to tighten my core region before lifting up when I do deadlifts. It sounds like the Suzanne Bowen might be a good alternative for you at this time.

Daughter number 3 is coming home for a long weekend and I am excited to see her. She had to work when the other family members were here.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Deb I have a double one similar to the target ad. I recently got a smaller one, 9 in square with a single handle, for the new house. got it at Target, sure it was under $20. no barbecue at that house yet but use on stove top. I've had the old double one for 30+ years. still works fine. it is not reversible and has different handles, all minor.
we bought a weber barbecue a couple years ago, but no matter what, things got stuck on the grill bars. I wasn't using it much because it was easier to use the pan indoors and clean the cooktop. This technique totally changed things for us. I use a silicone brush to oil the pan ridges right before dropping the chicken on. it comes right off when done! I'm still amazed!! weber grill...tried their special grill spray, oil, different techniques and still half the chicken would stick or fall thru and burn up. DH would overcook it trying to get it to release. then we'd have to run the grill another half hour to burn off the residue, and so another timer to set. wasted a lot of propane. I might even try fish this way because that always falls apart on a grill. I may try the plain flat surface cast iron pan first. I don't need as much space as for chicken.... I usually do several breasts at a time,need more square inches. I don't want to try cooking multiple pieces over the same spot on the grill pan. I think that would go back to getting stuck. we don't eat red meat so our grill is for chicken and vegies. I even failed at pizza on the grill, but using this pan, or a flat pan I will try that again too.

Sorry your neck is bothering yet. try a heat pad or hot pack? I get neck issues from pillows that are too thick. I need flat feather pillows that don't bounce back up. even with good pillows I can occasionally get neck pain from a funny sleep position.

I got a little overall sore from our hike. we climbed up some very steep snow and glissaded down. sliding on your butt with an ice axe to control your speed. there is a lot of upper body and core involved so I have some minor soreness today. legs are OK though.

Judy, I will chime in here too. I never feel back involvement with squats, those are legs/glutes to me. but dead lifts feel like 95% "back". some core, but I never ever feel leg involvement. that is the one I'd back off on. can't even feel hamstrings or glutes working. I do deadlifts but keep the weight lighter and don't increase it.

Lori they had some kind of machine I looked into that did 'mapping" ( Optimap maybe?) and didn't require being dilated. I always had to pay extra for it but it was worth it to me since I didn't like to wear sunglasses all day and I always got a headache. My optometrist retired this year so I need to find a new person and use whatever equipment they have.

Last edited:
Today I did Sharon Twombly Zero to Sixty, 71 minutes, 444 calories, 4,545 steps.. More fun time with my grandson today :)

Debbie, I have neck issues a lot. If I can stay on my back when I sleep I usually am okay. I am pretty sure a lot has to do with sleep position. I hope that you are better today. I looked at Amazon last night as well and put a grill and larger skillet in my cart.

Carolyn, that is great that your daughter gets to come and visit. I know you will have a nice time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.