Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/16

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

No workout yesterday, just agility class. Kylee was better last night. I let her in her crate and left the door open…and she just went to sleep, no problem. Maybe she has developed a cast of claustrophobia or something.

Last night we went to a dinner/theater place and saw Neil Simon’s “Proposals”. I had never done one of these before…it was great. The next show will be Steel Magnolias. The price was very good, considering it includes a full dinner with the show.

Judy, good that you did that premix without the core work. The core work on that one is really tough. I don't think I would like to be away during a colonoscopy.

Diane Sue, which is the collagen that you take at night that helps you sleep better? It's just collagen, not bone broth protein or any of that? They have so many of them they really confuse me. I wanted bone broth for the collagen for skin etc, but also want it for protein...but not sure what is what with them.

Carolyn, no, I don't think I could do those side step moves etc on the treadmill....LOL...:). You should try out the Cardio Coach MP3's on the treadmill....they make the time fly by and you don't have to think about what to do etc.

Valerie, that ride sounds nice. How long will you be staying at the new place this time?

Lori, I really like the Body Bars better than bb's too. Well good that the DVD was only $5...and you are able to manipulate it to your liking!

A workout today, not sure which one yet...then maybe some yard work and HouseMax....

Take care,

Deb, like you i ended up with just the bone broth collgen type Ii chicken. This is more for cartilege and ligaments, i think. That is what i have been using. Itvis akmost gone andvi will go back to one of the multi types. You might be better with the vanilla bone broth collagen, as it has I, II, and III in it as well as 13 grams of protein. That is the one i was using that worked well. It says deeper and more restful sleep and vibrant, firmer skin, on lthe benefits list on Dr Axe. So far it is ny favorite. The varieties do get confusing. The bone broth protein powders say type II on the label and description. You really havevto read the description on them and what they do. I also forgot to mention i take two curcumin/ tumeric capsules before bed as well.
Gertie sometime sleeps in her crate. We just leave it open all of the time. She has her memory foam Dog bed in the living room and lays there or the crate where she can watch us during the day. At night lately she seems to be heading upstairs as nd lying on her mat up there. Her crate is her haven when there are storms. We used to close the crate though. After Mudd was gone we just left it open. Gertie used to pick on Mudd and go in her crate, Mudd would lie on the floor rather than go in Gerties.

Last edited:
Hello All,
I did a short 15 walk on the treadmill to warm up, then I did Yoga Relax. Today is a slow and easy day for us.

Deb, I will check out the Cardio Coach MP3. I remember looking at it before but that was several years ago. I don't do the treadmill often as it is my least favorite form of cardio, but it is very convenient. It is very handy when we have guests because I can still get in a workout without everyone around.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

Good evening ladies!

This morning was FT Total Body. My 25lb bar is great for this one especially for the clean and press. I really like the combination she does when doing that move. I then did the Adv Urban rebound dvd. This was the other one that I bought off ebay and I liked it a lot. Total time was 83 mins / 505 cal.

Deb...glad Kylee is better. I meant to ask how she was doing last post. Good to hear better. That theater and dinner sounds wonderful. Wishe we has something like that in our area. We would really have to travel to find something.

Diane Sue...the Urban Rebound I did today was Bounce and Burn Max. I liked it so much better than the other. It repeats sets but there are way more moves so it was great and I really liked it. At the end he goes into some athletic moves. There is one girl that cracks me up. Very dated. Can't think of her name but she is in the other dvd. While working out she reminds me of the 80's aerobic competitions. Her moves are very precise! Besides these 2 I bought compilation 3 and 4. I have not received 3 yet so we will see. I liked one section on the #4 with the aerobis girl. But that was all. All is good as they were cheap. If I get a 30 min workout out of them then I am happy.

Caroyln...I used to love running on my TM. Last time I did my right knee kept bothering me so I had to stop. My jumpsport is now my substitue for running. Same calorie burn without the stress on my knees. As we get older this is a good thing! :)

SB starts her newest challenge tomorrow. It is a 2 week Booty Blast Challenge that looks great. Going to try and fit it in during the last 2 weeks of the FT rotation.

Have a great evening all!

Deb, we stayed 5 days this time in MT. we hope to stay longer in the future. to be honest, the shopping and appts to set things up are wearing on us. we bought a TV, set up TV/ DVD/ Internet service, food shopping, got some furniture delivered, blinds installed, met with electrician, talked with several other service people. it's all work and no play so far! then our hike was pretty tough. we don't do well in hot weather, and we hit a hot spell. we are "off season" people and have never done much in july and august. it's busy, crowded, traffic is awful. even our drive home (750 miles) was stressful because traffic was heavy, rest areas packed, lots of road maintenance going on, and DH got 2 migraines in 5 days. not sure if it's stress, too much bright sunlight, caffeine or what. the echo business has us struggling at the moment because we have no clue if a cushy sofa and an area rug will fix it. we hope it does. it is wearing to have to repeat everything because the other person can't hear, or because footsteps sound like a herd of elephants. right now we have bare bones furniture and not much soft surface things.

and to top it off, we forgot to empty the garbage when we left! talk about stupid!! I realized it when we were about halfway home. mostly it was paper and plastic from unpacking things so it should not be too fragrant.

Hi, all, I still did not do cardio, as I am still very thin, but I got a very good leg workout today. There are videos on You Tube that say, after a certain age, you should do gentle yoga, I would go bonkers if I had to do that.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did one of the premixes from Fit Tower Boot Camp...I wanted a shorter workout.

Diane Sue, thanks for the info on the collagen. I think I will order the vanilla bone broth collagen. I will definitely go over to the site and read up on them before ordering. We had one good night with Kylee....I left the door open and she was good. Last night was a total different thing...Keegan kept asking to go outside....and once when he barreled back into the crate, he knocked the water bowl out of the holder, so I had to wipe up water at 3:30...this was after letting them out at 1:00 or so....that time I left them downstairs. Needless to say, I am very tired today. They used to be just like Gertie is...I don't know what changed.

Carolyn, the nice thing about Cardio Coach is that it does take out the boredom factor a bit.

Lori, that 25 pound bar sounds tempting. I used my 18 pound for that clean & Press combo move and it was a little too light.

Valerie, wow, you really got a lot accomplished in 5 days! I would bet that getting the sofa, some more furniture, and some carpet will deaden a lot of the sounds that you are hearing now.

Caitlin, I'm with you on doing gentle yoga! I assume they don't mean just the yoga?

Puppy class this morning, hope I can stay awake!

Take care,

Deb we had appts planned weeks ahead. we are far out of town, and places might only deliver to the area , for example, on Wed. unfortunately our plans conflicted with the weather and we were stuck at the house on the first 3 cool days, and tried to hike on the hottest one. we have been surprised that even big trucks use our driveway without fear so maybe by Montana standards it's not bad.
we bought the TV at Costco and loaded it during a thunderstorm. we got a few minutes before it started pouring and hiked it up and into the truck in the back seat of the cab. it's a big truck and HIGH. made me thankful for weight training!

too funny.. the doggies are "revolting" to make you lose sleep. more in a bit. think we will go ride.

Today I did the FT Total Body workout. I like this one a lot and I can see why some consider it a favorite. Total time for me was 60 minutes with 245 calories burned. Average heart rate was 105 and maximum heart rate was 144. I paused the dvd to change my barbell plates and to make other weight adjustments.

Valerie, I'm with you on the practical benefits of weight training. I have several large pieces of cast iron cookware and I often joke that I couldn't pick them up if I didn't weight train!

Caitlin, I like to add in yoga to my routine, but it could never be my only type of workout. The flexibility benefits help me with my other workouts.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

Hello, wonderful ladies,

I agree with you, and it is nice to do yoga, and I do regular yoga. If I had to do gentle yoga all the time, I would go bonkers. I don't think that gentle yoga would do anything for me. It is really hot and humid, even up here in Catskill. I will check in later after my workout.

Hi Everyone,

I just preordered Cathe's new series. It sounds like a newer version of 4 Day Split, which I love.
I switched my schedule around this week and did a longer indoor bike ride this morning. Tomorrow I will do FT Total Body.

Deb-I'm sorry you didn't have a good night. We had a similar night with Shadow. She was on a rampage between midnight and 4 am. She was knocking things over and running all over the condo.

Carolyn-Great job with FT Total Body! Weight training has also helped me so many other things. We have some heavier cookware too and it would be harder for me to use if I didn't do strength training.

Caitlin-I love Cathe's Yoga Relax, but I agree, I wouldn't be able to only do gentle yoga for exercise. I would go nuts too.

Lori-Great job with the workouts! I have a 20 lb body bar. I've thought about getting a couple of others, maybe a 15 and a 25. Then I could leave the barbell set at 40 lbs all the time.

Valerie-I'm sorry about your DH getting migraines :( 750 miles is quite a long drive. How many more trips will you have to make before you move?

Hi to Diane Sue!

Judy

Today's workout was Kelly Coffey Athletic Conditioning premix triple rod + abs, 53 minutes(actual 45 minutes but took time to adjust weights and log) 107 avg/ 148 max heart rate Fit Bit , Polar says 120/148 Hmmm! I used the Polar average though. 244 calories. I then did Fit Tower Advanced Bootcamp cardio and legs premix, 30 minutes, 154 calories. I used a heavier band and added ankle weights for the front leg raise moves. Total time was 83 minutes, calories burned 398. I had some sort of virus all weekend, and still not feeling great. I didn't want to go heavy on the cardio today. The next 3 days I have my grandson coming. My cell phone did an update on it's own that I was ignoring. Now it is messed up again. The same as the last too. I knew as soon as I picked it up and saw the white lettering and pale screen that it had done it. Things are in white boxes. Touch Whiz is not working again. I swear I have read every way possible to correct it and tried. Nothing works. I think this time I am going to completely clear it and set it back to its defaults to see if that works. If not then I guess I will be waiting for another phone. I purchased the extended warranty , but am wondering how many times they will replace my phone. It is AT&T's updates. I have never had this happen before I got AT&T I was fine with T Mobile. II need to find out if I need to remove my SD card first though. I had moved all of my contacts and pictures to the SD card.
Athletic conditioning 10 reps 3 rounds all exercises
squat and curl 15's, 15's,15's
standing pec dec 12's, 15's, 12's
pommel horse 10 reps each round
shoulder press with reverse lunge 15# 5 reps right 5 reps left all rounds
cardio split switches 10 r
lawn mowers side to side lunge 15#,20#,20#
overhead triceps extension 15#, 20#,20#
pop squat/figure 8 15# !5#,15#
crescent into curtsy 10r 5 llft 5 rt
overhead rainbow 15#,15#,15#
curl and press 15#,15#,15#
bear crawl row, flip and press 5 rt and 5 lt 10#,12#,10#

I see Cathe is doing another pre-order for 4 shorter workouts. It seems so soon, as we just got the others, but then it will take awhile before they are out. I sort of thought of the 4 Day Split when I saw that there was 4 workouts to be split that included some cardio on each. I am sure that it is a different format though.

Deb, I went through a lot of very little sleep when back when Gertie was having so many problems with her food. She would whine but it was after she got sick and didn't get out soon enough. I was up many nights with her. Once she even came in our room and I woke up when I heard her shaking her ears and them flapping around. I was in hope she came to wake me, but she had done me a nice mess on the carpet in our room!!. We have had a few times, once recently when she was sitting at the end of the hall doing her low woof sound like we had abandoned her or something. My husband woke me up wondering if she was barking. I got up and let her out and she laid on the door step. I hate getting work up like that, and for nothing. Right now we are in a good place again. I hope it stays that way. She got her shower today. She is so good about holding up each paw for me to scrub the pads good. Mudd used to put up a fight when I would try to pick up her feet. Gertie just gives them to me. I almost did one of the timesavers from Fit Tower Bootcamp but then decided that I wanted more lower work so did the cardio lower one that was a bit shorter than the shortest timesaver premix.

Valerie, good that you got the TV in before the rain. Enjoy your ride.

Carolyn, I think that Total Body is my favorite FT workout. Mainly because I feel a bit more strength benefit to it with the weight and band combination. I love my cast iron skillets. I really want to get a really large one though. Speaking of holding them, I store mine in the oven after cleaning and I forgot and had heated it to 400 for biscuits. When I reached in to take them out the pot holder slipped and I blistered my hand because it burnt it so bad. Next time I will not try to set one inside the other and lift them out like that. Bad, move on y part. They are heavy.

Caitlin, the only time I have found a gentle yoga workout to be good for me, is when I have been extremely sore and it helped me relax before I went to bed. Otherwise I prefer yoga that is more active and requires a bit of strength.

Judy, I see you had the same though of 4 day split that I did with the new workouts. I hadn't read your post yet when I gave my thoughts on it. They will probably be good and nice time wise. I think if it wasn't for the strength training I would not be hauling my Kirby vaccuum upstairs in one hand and the tools and other items in the other at the same time. I am not one to want to make more trips for a few things at a time if I can help it.

Judy, we don't plan on moving there permanently, just hope to use it several weeks every year for vacation, and as a base for other travels in the rocky mt area. I guess I'm not alone hating to change up weight on a barbell! still haven't found any deals on weights, even checked craigs list . wow judy, you didn't hesitate on the new series. I was surprised there is something this quickly, I didn't even read what it is yet. Our kitty sometimes does the midnight "wake up" routine. it's often after we've left him alone for several days. when we get back it's like he is roaming the house looking for us but it sure can mess up a nights sleep. usually if I find him and put him on the bed with me, he settles down. not always,though. DH sometimes goes for months without a headache but he's had a few lately. we aren't sure why

Carolyn you are so right about the day to day benefits. DH and I moved all our furniture, even a very heavy desk ourselves, loading at one end and unloading at the other. and speaking of cast iron cookware..... I just learned when I bought a new Lodge grill pan ... they work great on a barbecue. I never like grilling chicken because it gets stuck or falls thru the bars. with an inexpensive black cast iron grill pan... put it in the barbecue to preheat, oil it lightly, and grill chicken or burgers right on it. I can't tell you how much better (!!) this works than trying to grill chicken and having it stick or fall thru. you would not do this with an enamel coated pan, but the plain black ones work great. Maybe I'm the last one in the world to learn this.

I sure liked my yoga class before it moved . I should get dvds to do it again. I only do the stretches at the ends of workouts now. I had a yoga program ages ago but think it was vhs.

Rode our regular trail for 2 hrs 10 min 26 miles this morning.

Valerie, I had not heard of using a cast iron grill pan on the grill. It would be nice for cleaning as well. I always let the grill cool and immediately clean the racks. My son in law has teased me about that. They both have said just scrape it off the heat takes care of it. I can't do that. I scrub it and then put them in the dish washer.

I would not have thought of this myself. it said in the Lodge packaging that you could do this. this pan itself is a black cast iron grill pan, not expensive. maybe $15 -$18? doing chicken inside on the stovetop, I get a lot of spatter and have to clean the cooktop and counter. but in the barbecue, it worked great!! we have weber medium size gas grill. nothing fancy.
we set the pan on the grill rack and let it heat up as the grill heated. I used a brush to lightly oil the pan ridges, plunked the chicken on. it was fantastic. no sticking, nothing falling thru, released nicely when done. I was amazed. the grill was not dirty at all. the grill pan has a handle so we let it cool off along with the grill, and washed it in the sink. it was so much simpler, and the chickie was done just right. diane sue..remember to use a hot pad! Our grill says to run it for another 30 min with the lid down to burn off any stuck on stuff, but that goes thru a lot of gas, so this method eliminates that too. I was amazed at how nicely this worked.

Good evening ladies!

No workout this morning. Game of Thrones season 7 started last night and we watched on our home theater screen. Then after we were all awake and ready to go! So needless to say I did not get to bed early. Tonight I did a few things to keep with my FT and SB rotations....cardio of choice was an 11 minute BBS jumprope. Then it was on to 2 SB's targets for the lower back and then upper back thighs. I finished off with the Cathe's LBB leg conditioning. Wow! Is all I have to say. I used my ankle weights the entire time and I know I will feel this tomorrow. Total time was 54 mins / 300 cal.

Yup... I did not hesitate and preordered the downloads only. I agree it sounds like an updated 4 day split. Thinking it will be fun. I have been fine with digital only nd making my own premixes. Do not miss the dvds at all.

Valerie...the house sounds like it is coming along nicely. Oh no...trash may be a bit smelly when you get back! Great idea to use the grill pan on the out door grill!! I hated changing the weights on a barbell. Main reason I like dumbbells. Plus putting the barbell over on my shoulders always bothered my left shoulder. Using a weighted bar and dumbbells works well for me!

My favorite cast iron frying pan must be 40 years old. It was given to me 30 or so years ago and it was well used then. I love it!

Diane Sue...yes it is really quick for a new series. I am very surprised but then again they will not be ready until late winter which means christmas to new years? I will welcome new workouts by then. I can see adding a heavier band and ankle weights to the front raises. I may do this too to increase the intensity.

Carolyn...Total Body FT fan here! My favorite of the 3.

Caitlin...I have tried so many times to incorporate yoga into my workouts but I never stick with it. It is so beneficial and wish I enjoyed it.

Judy...If I had to choose 15 or 25lb bar I would go with the 25lb...not sure how much use I would get out of the 15lb. I LOVE the 20 and 25 and very happy I purchased these. How is your back? Today's SB workouts really focused on the lower back and the upper back of thighs. My back felt really worked when I was done. Felt great.

Deb...I hear you on the clean and press. I felt the 20 was a liitle light for me. Feels good with the 25lb bar. Oh I know how you feel with lack of sleep due to our animals!

Have a great night all!

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, another bad night with little sleep.

Valerie, yes, it is good to know that when necessary, you can put those worked muscles to use! When you say "grill pan" you don't mean a regular skillet etc right? We have never used our cast iron skillet on the grill....that is the first I have heard of doing that, so you were not the only one. :). I feel for your DH....I have been having a sinus headache for 2 days now. For me its the weather that starts them....maybe that is the case with him as well? The barometric pressure changes can do that with me.

Carolyn, I think the same thing when I lift my cast iron skillet out of the oven! I keep in in there with a few other pans, and taking the whole lot out is really heavy!

Caitlin, you are getting the same weather that we are right now...

Judy, what is it with these pets these days??? I ended up giving Kylee a Benadryl last night and she slept through the night in the crate with the door open and did not get up once. It was heaven. I am going to pre-order as well. I thought the same as you...this is a new 4DS series!

Diane Sue, that is horrible about your phone and the updates. I cringe every time my phone goes into "update" mode. The only good thing is the Verizon store is only a mile from my house, and I just go there and the staff help me with anything that the update has messed up. Usually it just affects my calendar and its settings.

Lori, did you mean you got up and watched Game of Thrones in the morning before work? I think Cathe usually does a series that comes out around Christmas, but it does seem like it is really soon after just getting the Fit Tower ones.

Class this morning, maybe a workout...

Take care,

Lori, that is a tough workout with ankle weights. I used to use 5# ankle weights with all of the barre, chair, and floor work. Sometimes I still do, it depends on the workout. I will probably be ready for something new in a few months as well.

Deb, I wish it was just something simple like a particular app. I reset the phone and took it back to it's defaults. It is still doing the same thing. I worked on it late and got very little sleep. :( I am going to have to take it in or contact them. AT&T is within a mile and I could set an appointment , but their staff did not give me much confidence in their ability to fix it. I got the same results and another phone mailed out to me. What really irritates is the first phone was only 7 months old and they replaced it with a "like new phone" This will be the third time. I want to know what is causing the problem so I can avoid it. Touch Whiz is a Samsung app that handles all of your apps. I have cleared the cache and data from it as suggested when I read online, I have did the soft reset twice, and then did the hard reset. Nothing has worked and all because of an AT&T update. I read that sometimes apps are not all up to date and that can cause the malfunction. It seems they are always updating and why on multiple phones? I disabled messenger as I get notices from Avast that it can cause problems. Also one of the things I read said to disable it before you try to do the soft reset. I am frustrated to say the least.

Today I did RWH Plyo HiiT One for 28 minutes and 214 calories. Average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 156. I had my annual eye exam this morning and they dialated my pupils. They are not back to normal yet. They always tell me that I will be back to normal in a couple of hours, but it takes my eyes more like 5-6 hours to return to normal. My eyes are healthy with no sign of cataracts which is something I worry about. I ordered new glasses which are so expensive even with insurance.

Valerie, I haven't used my cast iron on the grill, but I have seen it done on some cooking shows. I would like to try it. Where I grew up no kitchen was complete without a cast iron skillet and Dutch oven. I have basic black cast iron skillets and the reversible grill/griddle and I have several LeCruset dutch ovens and a grill pan. I love cooking in cast iron.

Diane Sue, that is terrible that you constantly have trouble with the phone updates. I hope your carrier can help you avoid the problem in the future. You should not have to go through this each time.

Judy, I had the same thought when I read about Cathe's new series--an updated 4 Day Split. I plan to preorder it today.

Deb, I hope you are able to get more sleep soon.

Hello to Lori and Caitlin.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.