Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/16

It is true that Retin A can make your skin dry and flaky. It comes in three strengths: .025, .05, and the strongest, which I have never used. Now that it is hot, I am using .05, but in the winter i use the .o25. My father and his family always looked very young, and he always looked 20 years younger.
Frank and I spend a couple of days with our friends, so, of course, I did not do anything. I keep thinking that my scale is broken, as I am not gaining much weight. I am only doing weights tiday.

Valerie, one of the things that I like about the cast iron pans is that the bottoms stay level. I have several skillets that are teflon and all of them tend to bow up in the center so if you add batter or eggs they run to the edges. I think they bow from the heat. Cast iron takes high heat well. I have tried oiling and using cooking spray on the bbq grill and things still stick. It is annoying to make kabobs and have them stick to the grill. The pans sound like a wonderful solution. It seems funny when you are mentioning snow and we are sitting here with such high heat. They have been talking today about areas of the state that have hit over 100. It was 99 here today and my plants are so wilted with all of the heat. I keep putting water on stuff at night. Including carrying buckets out front.

Judy, I missed your post. I am sorry that your back is still bothering you. I find that wide stance dead lifts make low back more vulnerable. Part of the trick is tightening the hamstrings as you come back up and not the back. Maybe not go too low on them. I don't like it when they are done to quickly. That definitely requires light weights.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was SB's Feel Good Cardio and Arms. This is a favorite of mine as it really works your arms. I ended up doing a Rebound Fit workout tonight instead of the scheduled FT Total Body. My arms were really tired from this morning's workout and yesterday's Bootcamp and Strong Back workout. I needed the upper body rest. Total time was 47 mins / 310 cals.

Judy...good you backed off right away. I love SB's back workouts. I have done Stromg back many times and it is a great, upper and lower back workout. Works your shoulders and arms nicely too. I always feel so fit after this workout.

Deb...hoping your neck is better tomorrow! You have to build up your tolerance when using Retin A. At times my skin,especially my chin, looked sunburned from time to time. Especially once I went to the strongest. No idea why some days nothing then out of the blue irritated. I was really flakey for the longest time! I was always wiping my face. All and all I am glad I stuck with and that time seems so long ago. How did Kylee make out?

Caroyln...those two workouts sound great together. So nice your daughter is coming to visit. Enjoy your time together.

Valerie...still amazes me you are sliding on snow in July! Good to know about that eye machine. Going tominquire about it.

Diane Sue...on the Rebound Fit home page they have the same youtube workout but an added song. I downloaded this one and like it better since the captions to join the streaming are not thru out on the bottom of the screen. This is the the workout I did tonight. Was fun. I read a KCM post that her YouTube page will be up and running soon and there will be a small cost to the videos? Not sure if I read this right. Need to relook at this.

Caitlin...sounds like you have good genes! I love my Retin A.

Read today Body By Simone is coming out with a couple of DVD's. One is a dance and the other is a rebounding one. I am looking forwward to these as I really like her workouts.

Have a great night all!

Lori, I hadn't seen that post from Kelly Coffey. I have been busy the last few days and not as much time on the computer other than to do my usual logging. The Body By Simone DVD's sound like they would be good ones.

we will hike again tomorrow, but a shorter steeper one. the bugs are hatching and when they get bad, we do ride. even repellant does not keep them off, and when it's hot you can't wear enough clothing. DH got badly chewed on the last hike near Yellowstone. I put my pants legs and shirt on and dealt with the heat rather than be chewed, but he chose differently and has probably 75 bites on each leg that are still itchy a week later. I got maybe 20 which was bad enough. we are trying a newer repellant called picaridin which might work better than deet. deet never works well for me.
we expect loads of snow tomorrow. ..... it's an odd thing to get used to, warm air, hot sun, and 10 or 20 ( or more) feet of snow. the reflected sunlight and heat are fierce! way worse than water or beach. you need to be sunscreened, shaded, sunglassed etc beyond anything on water. snow is the worst, especially at altitude. this is a short fast hike up a very sloppy route, not really a trail. but the views are lovely and it's short enough so we can do early before it heats up.... I think.

Did High reps upper and core today. that has some deadlifts, but no matter what, my hamstrings don't engage that I'm aware of.

Yes, the cast iron is flat and retains its shape, holds heat well. If anyone tries this method, make sure you preheat the pan in the barbecue, and be sure your pan is totally heat proof, handle included. oil it just before you put on the chicken or whatever. I cooked the chicken the same time I would if the pan were on the stove, so about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes per side of a flattened chicken breast. about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. I pound it flat with a meat mallet so it's even thickness. diane sue I also have tried shish kabobs and had them stick and pieces get pulled off or fall thru the grate. will try with this method! report back if you do.

Lori this is the only optometrist I've gone to. I used to get dilated but the last few years I paid extra and they got around it with this machine. but he's gone now and I need to find a new person.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Fit Tower Leg, Glutes & Core...the premix that has Legs & Glutes only. I still had a tough time with this one. Another horrible night's sleep...I will need a nap today for sure.

Carolyn, enjoy your time with Daughter 3 ! :)

Valerie, we have a griddle that was a gift, I think it is only flat sided, was meant for pancakes I think. I have not tried heat or ice for my neck yet. That was a long hike, even with the rest. The bugs are terrible here now too. How awful that your DH got all those bites! There are swarms of them around our bushes...every time I open a door, they get in the house. They are not actually mosquitos, but are like them. Also, these little black ones that look like fruit flies are getting in somehow...not sure where they are coming from.

Judy, it was deadlifts that caused my herniated disk. :(. I always remember now to hold my core tight and keep my shoulders back. No rounding.

Caitlin, are you keeping track of your food and calories?

Lori, great workouts! I am mixing the Fit Tower with S&S..not really doing the "real" rotation. Kylee is sleeping better now that I am leaving her crate door open. I am still not sure what is up with her. On KCM's site she said that she is going to have a YouTube channel that will have a modest charge for joining. I guess she will have workouts similar to the RAW ones she is doing now. Also mentioned her new series that will come out in the fall with nutrition info as well as multiple DVD's. Curious to see what her nutrition plan will be like.

Take care,

Today I did Fit Tower Bootcamp which I enjoyed very much. Total time was 57 minutes with 286 calories burned. Average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 150. My daughter decided to try it after she saw me do a portion. She liked it, but it challenged her. Cathe workouts are definitely different from other workouts!

Valerie, I hope you enjoy your hike today. It's hard for me to think about snow while it's so hot here. We are mid-nineties again with high humidity. Ugh.

Hello to everyone.

Today I did Shock Cardio Athletic Step, 48 minutes, 345 calories. heart rate 137 average/ 170 max, 5,654 calories. I still am not feeling really well. It started out feeling like a virus and now feels like allergies. The only allergens out there right now though are mold and grass. Maybe because I have been going out nightly watering the grass by hand and pouring buckets on plants out front. I happened to think of that when I was awake a lot last night with the itchy throat and coughing. I was going to do Kelly's Plateau Buster tomorrow since I decided to fit it in once a week for a bit. After yesterday's Zero to Sixty with the light weights yesterday which is somewhat strength with the cardio, and doing weights the day before , I decided to wait till tomorrow. I had to run errands early today. I have a birthday cake to make for Sunday.

Valerie, your hikes sound rough, but I bet the view is beautiful. I am sure you get some wonderful pictures too. I don't get bit by the bugs like my husband does. He can put all kinds of stuff on and they still bite him. When we have family outings, he spends most of his evenings in the cabin when we are outside. I will let you know how it works if I make the kabobs first. Thanks for letting me know to get the pan hot first. Maybe heat it up with the grill?

Deb, I know there was one premix that I did that was really tough that repeated the work 3 times. I kept thinking it was over and it would start again. I can't remember which one it was though. I have to take naps once in awhile, but try to avoid it as much as possible or it tends to mess up my sleep at night even more and I get into a nap habit. But, there are just those times where I cannot get keep going without some rest. I sort of thought that Kelly was gearing up for people to pay to do workouts online. I wouldn't be surprised if Amy Bento doesn't do the same after she gets enough going. I wonder if Kelly will keep her raw workouts up once she does that or if they will become part of the workouts for a fee. That is good that Kylee is doing better. I sometimes wonder what dogs think when they change things up. Gertie just went through several days of holding out on eating. I quit put the pumpkin in her food because I did't want it just sitting there till she decided to eat. Once she started eating normally I gave back the pumpkin. I don't know what the deal was. but I saw no signs of illness. I kind of wondered if it had something to do with this being a new bag. It does have a bit more of the salmon smell than I usually notice.. I don't have the bag to check the date though. My husband filled her bin and the bag got thrown out.

Carolyn, I really like the Bootcamp FT workout. Nice calorie burn with it.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did the lower body barre portion of Barre Amped, then Muscle Meltdown Back ( I substituted upright rows for the deadlifts) and some stretching. Today I did an indoor ride and some more stretching. My back is feeling better, but I'm not going to push it. I'm going to stick with barre and stretching for lower body for now.
Chris got his biopsy results back yesterday and they were negative. That was a big relief. It's hard not to worry about something like that. I'm glad we got the results so quickly.

Deb-I didn't remember that deadlifts caused you to have a herniated disc :( I need to watch my form very closely when I start up again.

Carolyn-that's a good idea about giving yourself mental cues to tighten your core before doing deadlifts. I will be doing that too, when I start up again. Yes, I think Suzanne Bowen's workouts are better for me right now. I hope you have a great weekend with your daughter!

Valerie-Yes, that's how deadlifts are for me too. I've injured myself doing them before and had given them up for quite a while. The past year or so it seemed like my low back was getting stronger and I was doing them again with no problem. A couple of months ago I started increasing the weight. I'm sure that has a lot to do with me getting injured again. I may need to take a high rep/low weight approach to deadlifts when I try them again.

Diane Sue-I think I was going too low on the deadlifts too. Doing them too quickly is also an issue. I always try to keep up with whatever workout I am doing but sometimes that does more harm than good.

Lori-I'm going to continue with the Suzanne Bowen DVDs that I have for the next week or so, then decide if I want to start the streaming back up.
I just looked at KCM's post and it does look like she is going to offer a subscription service on her youtube channel. She is going to have new RAW workouts, and all the premixes from her DVDs too.

Caitlin- I agree with Lori, it sounds like you have good genes. Where do you get your Retin A? I think you said you didn't have to get a prescription.

Judy

Diane Sue-I didn't see your post until after I posted. I kind of thought Kelly was gearing up for a subscription service too.
Plateau Buster is a great workout to do once a week.

I'm always careful with deadlifts because they don't activate the right areas for me. I don't treat them as a serious exercise. I just go thru the motions with a reasonable weight and move on. I don't have any back issues, but I am suspicious if a move does not seem 'right" and when I get no sense of hams or glutes being involved. we've done a lot of backpacking and day hiking with heavy packs so I think my back is strong, but that is all I feel working when I do deadlifts.

we did our hike this morning and it was snowy as expected. we could get to the trailhead and went about half way up before snow. the top of the ridge was almost 100 % covered yet, and still very deep. like 10-20 feet. didn't see any critters, just a few small birds and some grouse. this is not a long hike, took us 3 hours up and back down with half hour of sitting and looking for goats or bears. this is not even that high, maybe 4500 feet but we had a heavy snow year. It was warm thee, probably 60 or so but takes a long time for that much snow to melt.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was a couple of SB's bounce barre workouts. I did the one that you really need the support of the bar. Really gets my glutes deep. Tonight was FT Legs and Glutes (minus core) followed up with a 11 min Hiit Bellicon workout. Total time was 73 mins / 432 cal.

Deb and Judy...thanks for the KCM clarification. Her channel sounds like it would be great. Unlikely I would subscribe as I have plenty as it is now. I do like her a lot when I do her workouts.

Deb...good for you just doing that workout. It is a tough one when you are not used to doing barre work. Is your neck still sore? I would be interested in seeing her nutrional plan too. Her dvd set sounds like it will be great. My son wants to start P90x next week. I may do it with him. Will be nice to use my FT for pullups!

Judy...excellent news with Chris! Agree the waiting is stressful. Glad it wasn't too long of a wait. I think doing barre for lower will be good for you. My back is really strong. I must give some credit to the barre work I do. If you have her DVD's that may be all you need right now. I have a hard time with up right rows due to my left shoulder. Hard to go heavy for me with this move.

Valerie...that sounds like a lot of snow. I am always very careful with deadlifts too. My back is strong but I do not take it for granted. I read about the bugs, snow, clothes, sunscreen and thought and they enjoy this???? Lol! Teasing you. I wish I could hike as much as you do. I love being outdoors and hiking when I do.

Diane Sue...sorry your allergies are acting up. Who's birthday is it? I love that you have a large close family. I love reading about your birthday celebrations. I have 4 brothers and 2 of them I never talk to and could care less. One I talk to every now and then and we keep up throug Facebook and then the youngest lives closest to me so we see and talk more frequent. Kind of sad when you think of it.

Carolyn...that is great your daughter did the boot camp workout. I can see how it would challenge her. It is a very different workout that we are used to from Cathe. Bands get you really deep.

Today's Cathe Live looks like fun. The music in this is great. I have noticed the music is so much better than when it first started. Going to try and do this one tomorrow after the FT Total Body workout.

Today is our 10th anniversary. We were planning to go out to eat to a really nice restaurant in Boston. We both got out of work early...1pm for me and 2pm for Bob. But it was so hot we decided to spend the afternoon in our little pool. We had a good time with lots of laughs and conversations about everything and anything! We can always go out to eat another day!

Good morning,

No workout yesterday....we had a horrible experience with the dogs. When we walked them at 6:30 am, they were attached by 2 large dogs that jumped the 5-6 foot gate across their driveway to get out and go after our dogs. Keegan was ok, Kylee got the worst of it from a pit bull/mix. She was at the vet all day, had to be sedated to be sewn up, x-rayed etc. She has 3 large gashes that needed stitches and multiple puncture wounds all over her back and neck. She is home now, but will need a lot of care to get better. I am still in shock...it was horrifying. The owner finally came out, along with all the neighbors due to my screaming I assume. I also got 2 small punctures, and due to that, the police are filing it as a dog bite/attack.

Carolyn, I bet your daughter was impress to see how her mother can handle that Cathe workout!

Diane Sue, it does sound like allergies..hope you feel better today. I stopped the pumpkin in the dog's food as well as it seemed like Kylee didn;t want it anymore and was turning her nose up at it.

Judy, glad that Chris' results were negative and you got them quickly so you didn;t have to worry for too long. I know that the deadlifts injured my back as I heard a "clunk" during one of them and afterwards was when the sciatica pain in my leg started.

Valerie, I still am amazed that you hike in snow in July!

Lori, Happy Anniversary! I would stay at home in the little pool too, rather than fight the heat and Boston traffic on a Friday evening. Great minds think alike in doing that FT workout without the core...:). Yes, my neck is almost 100%...like Diane Sue mentioned, I must have slept on it wrong or something.

Today was supposed to be an agility trial for Kylee and me in Erie PA.....:(....I just want my little girl to be better...

Take care,

Deb, I am so sorry that happened to you and your dogs :( I hope Kylee is going to be ok. Did you go to the ER or urgent care for your wounds?

Deb how horrendous!!! What is the matter with people... owning vicious dogs that aren't properly contained!! Dogs will do things in pairs that one alone won't do. Absolutely file a police report. You might need a short course of antibiotics yourself puncture wounds can get infected easily. Hope your little girl is ok. What an awful experience.
ETA when DH and I used to run outdoors with our dog ( Doberman), we were attacked by two golden retrievers. that was bad enough, and the dogs were equivalent size! the dogs were after our dog. I was able to get on top of one and hold him down until the owner arrived. it was a male and female and once I had him, the female backed down. we had to get our dog a few stitches. the other people had to pay the bills. It all happened so fast. that community had a special "doggie court' where these cases were handled and the owners got fined.
I am leery of pit bulls/ pit bull mixes. They are a whole different level of animal. they are everywhere! we started carrying Halt spray after that. for two pit bulls, you might need bear spray and then worry about spraying your own dogs or yourself. as bicyclists, we worry when we do a new route. loose dogs can knock you over or distract enough to cause an accident.

Lori happy 10th anniversary. Judy, good news on the lab report.

Last edited:
I did not go to ER or Urgent Care. At the vet they gave me wipes to use...the holes are very tiny...almost like a pin prick. I am waiting for the guys vet to confirm that they have up to date rabbies vaccines. Either way, the Police Dog Control officers are filing it as a bite, since skin was broken. I am just so glad it was not worse for Kylee. I really thought he was going to kill her..

Deb, that is terrible. It reminds me of that womanand her dog thatbdied because of the two Pit bulls that had got out. I am so sorry. I will be praying for younand Keegan and Kylee. It makes me mad that people kerp agressive vicious dogs like that.

Omg! Deb that is terrible. So glad Kylee will be ok. What a traumatic experience for her and for you. I was in disbelief reading your post. Glad the police are taking this as an attack. Shame on those owners.

Deb, I echo the sentiments of everyone else about the dog attack. That's so terrible and I can imagine how frightened you must have been for your dogs. I hope everything works out okay.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.