Lurker's Invitation

Hello Beautiful Workout Maniacs! I have missed you guys and I have missed working out!

1s things 1st, as far as I know I did NOT have H1N1, I had that darn lingering cold and then I got the H1N1 vaccine and by that same evening I was sicker than ever!:(I don't believe the vaccine made me sick, I think it lowered my immune system and made the cold/flu that I had already really get it's claws into me! I ended up not working out from Wednesday till Sunday, which is the longest I have gone in a long, long time. I still taught a pilates class on Thursday and privates on Friday, but I didn't do any of the work myself.

The weekend was busy with the girls big Winter Faire event at their school and then coming home and getting all the decorations out of the attic. Sunday was rearranging and cleaning the house so we could get the tree into it's place. We cut a beautiful fir tree from our yard that was beginning to block the sun from one of my garden beds. It makes for a nice Christmas tree. We always cut trees from our property, so they are never 'perfect' but I love them all the more for that! So no real rest for the sick and weary, even if I didn't workout I was still on the go most the time!

Monday I kept the girls home and they went to town with me to teach my morning Pilates class. When we came home from that there was no power at our house, I am sure I mentioned earlier on in the year that we have a solar home, we are completely off of the grid. We have solar panels and a large, commercial grade back- up generator, both of which work remarkably well 99% of the time and in fact we lose power less often than most other houses around here. However, the generator is now 14 years old and it has been super-crazy-freeze-your-face-off cold here. It was -10 degrees that Monday morning, so the propane wasn't getting to the generator and the starter wore out trying to get it to start. Bo is amazing at getting power going but with a burned out starter there was nothing he could do. So we lit candles and snuggled up and went to bed early all piled up together in our king size bed. Luckily though St. Nicolas still made it to our house to fill the girls clogs that they left out with some treats! :D Anyway Bo got the girls to school yesterday, and I taught my Pilates class and then he spent the day either working on the generator or plowing the road. I decorated the tree, so now all the decorations are done except for the two door wreaths. Long story short we just got power back on this morning! The girls spent the night at a classmates house so they wouldn't have to come home to a dark and cold house. :(

So my workouts, back on track as of Monday. 3 classes (I took it easy mostly;)) Than yesterday no one showed up for my Pilates class, (to cold maybe and to busy?) so I did the P90X Legs & Back since that was the weight workout that got lost the week before. I find the series to not have enough leg work for me. I need to work the legs pretty intensely to keep them toned. If I do this series again I might substitute some Cathe leg work in every other week or so. I was working my legs more due to my Buff It Up Class and my Ski Conditioning Class otherwise I think I might have seriously lost some of my muscle definition down there! And I also did that Debbie Seibers Slim in 6 ab workout again for my ab work. Tonight is my Pilates Class and if I am feeling up for it the Plyo workout which I have been missing. I am still not 100% so I may do the Kenpo instead which is much less intensive.

I read the posts, and was almost relieved that it had been slower than usual so that I didn't have so much to catch up on!

Happy Belated Birthday Shadowpup!1I am doing my best not to catch pneumonia! I can't imagine you on bedrest for two whole weeks!! If I am not feeling tip top by the end of the week I will make an appointment to go see the DR.

Shoegal: your house must look like a Christmas Village Shop! I love Christmas Santas as well. I have a few and could see getting more each year when they go on sale! Don't stress if you miss some workouts this month! Just think of how many calories you are burning decorating and running around! Thanks for your good wishes!

Michelle: Wow that sounds like one tough rotation you have going on! You are dedicated to blasting those holiday calories! I need to get on track today! Between not working out and laying around you would think I would(should) be really watching what I am eating but I haven't:eek: I actually think that I do better with the eats when I am working out than when I am not! I kind of get in to this free-for-all or why bother mentality which isn' good at All!!:mad: When I workout really hard I don't want to undo all the hard work I just did so tend to make better choices...

Janie! Hope you are enjoying the Oregon Coast! That garden must really be something with all those rocks! I don't think I had H1N1, thank goodness just really really sick after I got the vaccine. My friend is doing better and starting to eat more things, I mean there is only so long you can sustain a broth and cracker diet right!:confused: She did lose 15 pounds and is very ecstatic about that. I can understand being happy for losing 15 pounds, I would love to myself, but I am more worried for her than I am happy for her. She didn't lose it in a healthy way and I am concerned her body has gone into starvation mode and that she will gain all that back if not even a few more pounds....And then I can see her spiraling into a why bother mentality...

Joey and I got back last night. Woke up at 9 degree weather outside. Our pipes froze and dipping into the water tank for water. Need the water to flush toilets, sponge baths...It's very unusual for us to go that low/cold where I live. Hmmmmm Will start exercising again tomorrow.

Deborah
, Have a Happy Belated BIRTHDAY! Hope you had a great day of it. Oh! I got this wonderful Christmas card from you. Now I know what your hubby looks like, your animals, and a little bit of you. You did a professional looking job on it. Thank you so much! I had no idea horses could have such evil and angel thoughts like that. LOL They are wonderful to read about. They are just like kids, aren't they? Wow.:D How do the other horses react when the horse your riding goes back into the pasture (after you ride them)? Are they still jealous? Angel/devil expressions?

Your exercises are amazing. Great Job! So impressed with you.

Enjoy the soap, I think you might be pleasantly surprised, and enjoy Hawaii. You are so lucky!

Michelle, You are doing so good with your exercises. Isn't it great to be able to kick it up a notch. Yeah! You are so lucky to have your decorating almost done. I still need to decorate the tree.

Reflecting also on Pearl Habor Day.

Love IMAX. It's a very hard huff-n-puff. LOL:eek: You did good. bet it felt good during the stretch.

Step Fit, I just love that one. Can't wait to do it again. Just getting ready for a workout sometimes makes it so.LOL

Shoegal, Would love to see the decorations all put up in a picture. :rolleyes: I was hoping you would do Christy, she's great! Jari is good too for endurance workouts that's for sure. I do endurance workouts when I'm not doing a rotation of STS and Insanity.:eek: Doing endurance workouts gets your smaller muscles equipped enough to lift heavier easier. It has to be done to successfully lift heavier.

Michelle, Your rotation sounds like a goody. Be careful with that elbow, good thinking about lowering the weight.

Laura, I missed you too. Was wondering where you have been. Good to see you back. So glad you didn't have H1N1. But sorry you got the cold/flue. Yuck. Bet you had fun at the Winter Farie event. You have been a busy little bee, with all the cutting down a tree, cleaning, teaching classes and decorating. You complained about not working out. Well, you shouldn't right now anyway. Just get better. Maybe even try to slow down a bit. I know, it's hard. We've had 8 degrees weather here, which is darn cold, but we have heat. Did you ever warm up. 10 degrees is harsh weather! Oh, I see you are doing fine now. Thank goodness.

No one showed up for class? Glad you did P90X instead. Substituting Cathe sounds good to me for leg workouts. Cathe is tough.

Ah, finely you are on the mend. Do get well soon. Also I'm glad to hear your friend is doing much better. Hopefully she won't gain the weight she lost. But, I agree with you, she didn't lose it very safely, and most likely will gain it back.

Everyone, take care, and stay warm and dry.

Janie

Last edited:
It was warmer today, 14 degrees. LOL:rolleyes: Joey warmed up the pipes and we now have wader. (that's how Cathe says water, LOL) In fact that's the DVD we'll do today, so just remembering. Meso Legs. She also says catycorner instead of kittycornor. She's so cute.

Today Joey and I will do legs. Don't like them at all, but we know we must do them.

I keep envisioning how wonderful it is for Debroah to get away to Hawaii. She deserves a break from all the work she does. For that matter we work hard too, so we should be there with her! Right? LOL:D

Hope everyone is doing well. Getting over sickness, and catching up with Christmas.

I have to clean our house during the next few days, it's gone down hill in that department. So off I go to exercise and then clean.

Take care,

Janie

Last edited:
Hi everybody. A little late posting today even though my exercise was first thing this morning, but I was off to Quantico all day. This morning it was not too cold (yet) and Ripken and I had a real nice walk. Then I did low impact step and STS stability ball abs. I knew LIS was a little shorter but was surprised when it was over--I thought there was one more segment. Did pretty good with the STS stability ball abs until the last segment of roll-ins and pikes. A couple of times I rolled right off the ball--plenty to conquer on that workout. Can anybody do the inverted pike on the ball with one leg? I was happy to be doing the inverted pike on both legs let along one leg. Not happening here--yet.

Laura and Janie--welcome back. So nice to have you both back on the forum. Laura--being a mom, you didn't really get time off while you were sick. Ya'll can keep the coldest of the weather--we are supposed to have a couple of cold days (in the 30s) and then moderate back up to the 50s next week.

~michelle

It is plenty cold here - lots of horrid wind - blew down some of the outside Christmas decorations. My sister called me all upset - all of her hard work putting up her decor outside and the wind ripped the lights and garland down. She says it looks horrible and is ready just to take it all down. :( I felt so bad for her. I told her I had little done here and she said, "Why don't you have anything done?" Good question - I got all upset about it and yelled at DH. He asked what he could do to help - and I thought - well, he can't help me decorate - can't help me shop - so what can he do to help? Nice of him to ask though. I just have such high high lofty hopes of getting all of this done in no time but it never works out that way. So I didn't work out last night - just worked on getting the lights and garland up on the kitchen cabinets. This took much longer than expected, unfortunately.

Tonight - which it already is - I will do another Christy Taylor step - can't remember the name - it is one I got a little bit ago. I'm trying to decorate some more this evening - and do the harder stuff but Rex is working on some sort of project and doesn't want me around which is hard on me I have to say. I need to be all over the house putting stuff here and there - I really am all over the place & now he limits me to one room - How am I supposed to decorate only in here - I am finding it near impossible. I swear I'm missing stuff. :confused: I am now 100% certain that my tree angel is nowhere to be found. I am sending out a search party.

Janie - glad to have you back - and jumping right back in exercising!! I will send pictures of my decorating - that is, if I ever get done!!

Laura - really glad to have you back - I was worried about you!!

Michelle - you know - Quantico - that got me thinking -are they doing any renovations down there? or maybe building something new? We have a new project entitled "Quantico" can't remember the other half of the name - something like MILDEP or something. I'll look tomorrow. I can barely do pikes on the ball - let alone with one leg - that is tough stuff.

Well - I'm going to change and get going.

No workout - got involved in the decorating again and it was after midnight by the time I stopped. There was simply no time. I need to get this stuff done and I'm nearing the home stretch. I am really certain there is some box missing - I've come up with 3 items that I don't have - and it is hard to believe but I'm convinced that I don't have enough stuff!! :eek:

Ok - yes - decorating overload - too much about the decorating - not enough about the workouts. Oh well - something has got to give.

Laura - I wanted to tell you that your house sounds absolutely amazing - all solar powered - WOW - I am jealous - it sounds incredible to be off the grid. We have a wood stove - and a well - there is no gas - just electricity - however the electricity runs EVERYTHING including the well - when there is no power - there is no water and no heat - it is quite dark in there too. Once when the power was out I lit a tons of candles - he started a fire in the stove - we opened a bottle of wine and had a grand time. We even had some music playing. When it is dark like that - you do tend to go to bed early.

I am hoping that I will get enough done in the next couple of days that I can get my time back to normal. Hope everyone has a great day.:)

Michelle, You can do the inverted pike?:eek: How? I've never mastered it yet. Someday.;) Great job on your workouts. Enjoy your weather, sounds so nice.

Shoegal, Awww, that's terrible about the wind blowing down your sisters decorations. I don't blame her if she does take them down. Poor thing, all that work!

For years Joey and I didn't decorate for Christmas, because no one came over. We decided together that it just wasn't worth the hassle for the two of us. I really enjoy not being caught up in it so much. I know it's beautiful and it's what most people do, but...then after all that, you have to pack it away.:confused: Anyhoo, this year everyone will be here and I'm just having a decorated Christmas tree, and that's all. It's really nice for us. I love not having to fret about things anymore. Besides, I'll be cooking and that in itself will be a lot of work. But I can handle it, love cooking. MMMMMMMMMMMM, Yummmmmmmmmm.:) On the other hand I know, it's different not having a lot of Christmas around you. You spent a small fortune on the decorations, and after it's all said and done, you get to look around and see beauty everywhere. I remember that.

It's OK not to workout for awhile. Just get through Christmas when everything is back to normal. Oh, hope you find your tree Angel.

Hi to everyone, hoping your day is good. A rest day today so, no workout to report.

Janie

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

So, at this time of year, when the exercise tends to go by the wayside, I'm probably a bit more maniacal about getting the exercise done than the decorating. I just have a little left to do, maybe tomorrow after Body Max 2.
This morning was step heat from the classics. I think I might have done this workout once before because it sure wasn't ringing any memory bells for me. Goes by pretty fast and it's not that difficult choreography-wise althougth Cathe packs a bunch of different moves into the first step routine which is a long one.

Shoegal: your decorating sounds like a major undertaking and I bet everything is beautiful when you finish. As for the outside stuff--mother nature does have her way of wreaking havoc every once in a while. That's one where you just have to go with the flow, I think. What's your DH working on in the house now?

Janie: inverted pikes--I can do 4 good ones and then my inversion starts going downhill. It's really a core thing--concentrate on tightening those core muscles and imagine that you are pulling them to your back. They are not easy--that is for sure.

Christmas is kind of low key for us. I go to mass on Christmas eve with my neighbors because parking at the church is just crazy. Rob and Sarah (DH's son and his wife) will come over either in the morning or afternoon. If they come in the morning, I do a nice breakfast. If the afternoon, then we have dinner. But not like Thanksgiving. Nice, but not crazy. I like to enjoy the day--exercise, watch The Christmas Story, play with Ripken, and just chill.

~michelle

Well, been on the run again! Thursday morning I went to the gym and did P90X Arms and Shoulders and then taught my Pilates class. Unfortunately, yesterdays workout got laid by the way side, I ran some errands in the morning and then taught some privates and then went over to a friends house. She was getting her hair cut and colored and asked me to come with her so I did, I ended up getting my hair washed and styled and my eyelash tinted which was nice because I had a 40th Birthday Party dinner at a very nice in restaurant town. It was a very nice evening, I spent the night at my friends house because the girls were at a sleepover and that way I didn't have to drive up and down the canyon which has been very icy and dangerous with the cold weather. I managed to do the P90X Kenpo this afternoon evening and the Ab RipperX. Now I am watching a Christmas movie with the family before I start dinner!

Janie: wow what a welcome home huh? Been seriously cold here to and I have heard several stories of frozen pipes.

Shoegal: try not to stress out over the decorations to much. I know it is a lot of work isn't it? But it is supposed to be fun. If it is getting to much could you cut back on some of the decorating and enjoy what you have done already? I have just a few more things to do but I am considering letting them slide this year. I did get the presents mailed off to the nieces and nephews but not yet to my parents, Bo's parents and Grandmother. I will pack them up this weekend and mail them on Monday and then just a few more things to get for the girls and I am done!!

Michelle: did you post the rotation you are doing? It sounds like fun.

Michelle, Good job on Step Heat. It's fun isn't it? Love it. Pikes: I'll take your suggestion on concentrating on tightening the core muscles as you say and see if I can maybe do one. I'll let you know.:confused: (scared).

Christmas: Before I left home (left the nest), my siblings, Mom and Dad (11 of us) did just that. We also went to Mass on Christmas eve, but we had to go in our own vehicle, because there were so many of us. We opened gifts the night before and can remember taking pictures of our tree, only, the presents were as high as the tree itself. LOL. It took us hours to open them, because Dad would hand out one at a time and wouldn't hand out anymore until that person opened the present and thanked the giver. (his way of getting lots of kisses) It was a blast! Thanks for the memory.

Funny, during those times TV didn't have commercials about Christmas until Dec. 1, the month of Christmas. Then it got to be right after Thanksgiving, now...:rolleyes:

Would love to see your new rotation too.;)

Laura, Don't stress about not exercising at this time. Do what you can, then start again the first part of the year. It will be OK, truly. Besides, your classes work you a little, even though you mostly demonstrate. Right? I hope that's what I understand. Somehow, though, I think you do much more in your classes. Anyhoo, don't fret about it so much.

I bet it was nice at the sleep over. You didn't have to think about the dangerous highway being so icy. That was nice of your friend to think of your safety.

Got P90X done with and now relaxing with family: Love the Christmas shows that are on TV. I look forward to them every year.

Our pipes are thawed out and everything is back to normal.

Did Core Rhythms Latin Synergy. It's so much fun. Love this stuff. Just right in-between the holidays.

Take care everyone, and have a nice Sunday.

Janie

Last edited:
Well, yesterday was supposed to be Body Max 2 but the day was just too busy. Had a Christmas party up in Northern Virginia in the afternoon and spend the morning moving around the dvd player, the directv receiver, and other stuff--jiggling wires, squeezing into tight places to jiggle and feed more wires. Ick. All done and then the directv didn't work and the dvds played in black and white. Does this sound familiar to anyone. Had to stop tinkering with the tv peripherals to get ready for the party, which was very nice. Did not overeat either.:)

Came home by 8 and discovered that DH was clicking on the wrong setting for the directv receiver (that was easy) and he fixed the dvd issue this morning. Did get Body Max 2 done. I keep wondering: who came up with this crazy rotation? Oh yeah, me. I'll check back in a little bit to post this crazy workout schedule.

Shoegal: sounds like you are in the homestretch. Those other decorations will turn up. The boxes are probably tucked in the back of your storage area.

Laura: sounds like you are back on top of your workouts. I'm still trying to understand how you differentiate between teaching a class and doing a workout. Aren't they all workouts?

~michelle

Here is the rotation that sister and I are doing this month--heavy on the cardio.

Holiday Cardio and Weight Blast
WEEK ONE:
Mon: Low Max
Tue: Rhythmic Step
Wed: Power Hour
Thurs: Stretch max 1 and 2
Fri: Step Jam
Sat: Body Max
Sun: OFF

WEEK TWO:
Mon: IMAX
Tue: Step Fit
Wed: Maximum intensity strength
Thurs: Low impact step + choice from ab circuits or ab hits
Fri: Step Heat
Sat: Body Max 2
Sun: Off

WEEK THREE:
Mon: IMAX2
Tues: Power Max
Wed: Muscle Max
Thurs: Stretch max 2 and 3
Fri: Step Max
Sat: Body Max
Sun: OFF

WEEK FOUR:
Mon: IMAX3
Tues: Step Works
Wed: Pyramid upper body
Thurs: Drill Max
Fri: Step Blast
Sat: Body Max 2
Sun: Off

WEEK FIVE:
Do 1RMs in preparation for STS
Cardio workouts of choice

Aloha! I am back as of this afternoon. Took the redeye home, and have been readjusting to white snow as opposed to white beaches! It was a fantastic trip: an excellent conference and time for fun as well. I'll tell you more tomorrow :D, just wanted to say I missed our group and thought of you while I was enjoying the active parts of my week away.

I took the girls to the Colorado ballet's performance of the Nutcracker this afternoon, an all day affair considering our drive....It was truly the very very best one I have ever seen! It was absolutely phenomenal! The sets were amazing & the dancing fantastic!:eek:It was a true treat and to be honest a relief that it wasn't disappointing...the last several I had been to were a little lack luster! I didn't think I would get a workout in but managed to finally get through P90X Yoga. First time I had done it since my illness and found it super dupper challenging, more so than the last few times I had done it. I guess it will take a little while to get back up to par...

Janey: I think I have that latin dance series...I did it once or twice. There was one I liked better than the others...I will have to check it out again sometime. I loved hearing your memory of Christmas with your father, it was the same at our house, one present at a time...we are carrying on the tradition here as well. Otherwise it goes to quickly in a massed frenzy of material haze and little appreciation of the gifts along the way.

Michelle: WOW that rotation is super intense cardio! So you are doing a 2 day whole body split with lots of cardio in between basically? I bet that is helping to shed the pounds. If I wasn't so gun-ho about starting STS I would do that rotation in January. I feel like I am not getting nearly enough cardio into my week, especially with the cold weather here. I seem to manage to get the weight work in but not the cardio....maybe after STS I will do a month of two of heavy cardio and see if that helps me slim down..

Shadowpup:Welcome home! It must be an adjustment from beaches to snow. A good friend of mine came back from Mexico this Friday and she is having a hard time with getting back, due to the cold and Christmas around the corner....

Shoegal: hope you are hanging in there and getting your decorations done!

Michelle you know you have inspired me to look more closely at my schedule to see if that the days I am scheduled to to cardio are just unrealistic for me to get my workout in on those days. I may need to rearrange things so that I make sure those don't keep going by the way side. As far as my Pilates classes I don't really count them as workouts for me, although I am moving a lot of the time, I do also walk around the room and make corrections or just watch and make sure people are doing the exercise correctly. I still do get to move some but I am more focused on my clients than my own body. The Total Tone class, which is more of a traditional fitness class, I do the workout as well, I count it as an overall body workout with light cardio and don't do any other exercise that day other than what I do in the 2 other pilates classes that I teach. The ski conditioning is the same but it only runs for 12 weeks from Sept until Thanksgiving and I usually count it as a leg day with cardio....

Well, this rotation this month is killing me. I knew there was a reason I put the break days after the Body Max workouts. Today, there was just not way I was doing IMAX2 after an Body Max 2 yesterday. So, today was my stretch day and IMAX2 will come later in the week. I don't know if it's all the cardio or just that I am really more aware of not overeating in December, but my weight is doing very well, which is my top goal for this month--not to put on a single pound. So far, so good.

Laura: you seem like you are always moving to me. I love the Nutcracker. I flipped it on the tv the other night and my DH would have none of it. I'd be content to watch every Christmas special on tv this month, but he is just not that into it. He will watch a few, but definitely not the Nutcracker. And it sounded like it was just you and the girls for the performance, so I'm guessing your DH is not a ballet fan either.

Janie: we open one Christmas gift at a time as well. In some years past, it has taken hours to get through the opening of gifts. If the gift is a clothing item, it has to be tried on and modeled before moving on to the next gift. We also take lots of breaks. Why rush the fun? Ripken likes to help open presents. Doesn't matter if it is one of his presents or not. But you know the amazing thing is that he will not bother the presents under the tree, even the ones that are clearly for him. He will do a little sniffing, but that's about it.

~michelle

Joey and I did a Jari Love today. An endurance workout. Nice to do for a change.

Deborah
, Welcome back! Can't wait to hear about your journey in Hawaii. I also thought of the warm rich white sands the last time Joey and I visited there. Oh and the fish to see just off the shores while you snorkel. Bet you had a blast.

Laura
, The Nutcracker sounds wonderful! I've seen it once, and it was so fantastic! And you found the time to do Yoga. Good for you. It won't take very long at all to get back to where you were.

Michelle, I'm impressed with how you are listening to your body. Good choice to do IMAX2 for later. Having a plan and a mindset does wonders for keeping pounds in check. I do think the way to open gifts is one at a time. I remember the clothes too, we had to model as well, especially if they were nighties. LOL (not really, but everyone would say all together, "MODEL MODEL", so much fun).

Your Ripken sounds like a wonderful joy. How did he get his name?

Have a warm and fuzzy day all,

Janie

Holiday Report: :confused::confused:
Came on Friday - after forcing DH to go to 3 stores - and made him do the "hard" decorating when we got home. This time the lights up in the bedroom - this requires a ladder and a staple gun. He wasn't that enthused -can't imagine why? Got that done - that took up the night. No exercise. :( We went to bed. Next day - all day SHOPPING!!! Got home about 6 - DH had made dinner - :) - he had brought in the tree- there it was - beautiful 11 foot, very prickly tree. I told him that we had to decorate it. He said he was tired - and had a couples movies to watch. We put on the lights - which is half the battle - I put on some ornaments and had to stop to wrap some presents for Secret Santa exchange I do with my sisters and Mom every year - DH dragged me into the movie and didn't wrap. No exercise. :( Sunday - I got up early to wrap gifts - was about to get ready to leave (it was around 7AM to make it into Pittsburgh) Sister-in-law called to say it was beyond icy outside and all of the highways were closed. I turned on the news - my God the accidents there - it was such a mess. I had to wait to drive in - in the meantime - I finished decorating the tree. She is done - and she looks great!!! Drove in - had the Secret Santa exchange -(not really a secret - we all buy for Christmas Decorations for each other). That took a little bit of time - ruined shopping for that day - didn't get much done. I'm more together now but I have a long way to go. No exercise on Sunday either. :(

Laura - the decorating is alot - and I do a lot - but I'm afraid - it all has to be done or it would kill me. I would think all of my decorations didn't make it out and they didn't fulfill their Christmas destinies!!! Silly I know - but that is me. :eek: AND - I look around and think - I don't have enough stuff!! Think of Shadowpup and her bulbs and you'll understand me and the Christmas decorations!!! You sound as if you have got it all together - and you are getting all back to normal. I'm glad!!! :)

Opps - got to go - I'll get back on later to finish personals.

Well, all, how to begin on the Hawaii trip??? It seems like a different reality, with the snow coming down hard outside. Let me give you a bit of it here, and more perhaps later. I've got to go offsite for work again TOMORROW AFTERNOON and there is so much to do, including my remaining Christmas shopping, that I can hardly figure out what is most important. But I did get a workout in tonight in addition to a hike - Kelly Coffey-Meyer's 30 minute weights workout. Actually it was an hour, since she has an upper body and a lower body split on the same dvd. The upper body was quite effective; the lower body was good but not as intense as usual - I should use a weighted vest next time.

BTW: in order to keep from losing this post, I am going to periodically save it and re-edit! This is stopping point one :)

Hawaii report Monday. Unlike my last attempted trip, the weather cooperated and I had an easy flight in. I packed far too much, of course; basically grabbed my usual conference bag and then added another in expectation of buying warm weather gear. Most of what I own there is put away, and what is left is not fit to wear in front of business colleagues. When DH dropped me off at the airport, it was a crisp nine degrees. Two flights and ten hours later, we landed in Honolulu. Warm, humid and whatever the temp was, it was perfect and far more than nine! My rental car was right there waiting, and the directions to my hotel on Waikiki beach were easy to follow. I LOVE DRIVING ON ISLANDS! Keep the beach on one side, the mountain on the other, and don't go too far. How hard is that??? And I think there are about three highways. Anyway, check in was was easy and there was even a parking space. I was thinking ... wow, this is clearly another world. My trips are never this easy.

Once the luggage was safely stowed in the room, I decided to meet the greatest challenge of the entire trip: purchase of a bathing suit. I have not owned a bathing suit since about 2003, when I did a massive reorganization of my closet and donated everything that didn't fit to charity. Needless to say, the bathing suits did not survive the purge :eek: This bathing suit had to meet a strict criteria. One, it needed to look good enough to wear in front of colleagues who would range from young academics to retired military types, mostly male, who would be packing cameras, and who likely will be posting pictures of this meeting on the Internet in blogs and tweets and webpages, which will be available for all to view until long after I am dead. Two, it had to not make me feel like a total idiot while wearing it. Three, it needed to be something I could wear in front of colleague spouses. Four, it needed to be functional - I wanted to swim!!! Five, it had to not break the bank. I was willing to compromise on point fiveif push came to shove.

So, off I went, an hour before dusk. I went into ABC stores and hotel stores and bathing suit stores. I tried nothing on. I looked at bikinis and tankinis and one pieces ...

AND NOW FOR PAUSE 2! It is dinner time. You can think of this as a teaser :)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.