Jessica Simpson's Body

I MUST be missing the sarcasim. Seriously, does anyone really think JS looks "fat" in this picture? (shaking head in bewilderment). My eyes must have gone bad. When I saw the picture, I thought "Wow, Nice A$$!" If she is a size 12 then she must be tall. I think size 12 is size 16 in Europe.

I think the high wasted kind of retro look is in style now, but I still love my low-rise.

Sonja

I went back to the article three times thinking there's got to be another picture that I missed 'cause I thing she looks just fine.

My DH was commenting how fat she is......and I pointed out to him that, ahem, I wear a size 6-8, so therefore am her size. He said, now way she looks much bigger, so I think those pictures are probably the most unflattering and make her look bigger.

I know plenty of women who are0, 2, 4's and are "real" women, but what Hollywood promotes is women who have severely dieted down to these sizes on bodies that better support a larger size. When you see someone whose head is too big for their body, then something is way wrong.

I think she looks fine...more "real" if you will.

Ditto on the comment above about celebrities w/ heads bigger than their bodies. They look like Bratz dolls.

Don't flame me ;) but:

I think the reason she is getting blasted for her weight gain is because she doesn't look "fine"...at least not for what her fans have come to expect of her. If she were a serious actress, she would look 'fine' and she wouldn't be in the headlines.

But she didn't get famous off her talent, she got famous from a killer figure with a so-so voice. Now she doesn't have that killer figure that teenage boys and young men want, she isn't a fantasy girl anymore, so her fans are bummed, and the media is laughing. Now, I don't think she deserves the mocking of course, but she got rich and famous for having little substance and big boobs, and the media loves to see someone come down. All this attention is what you sign up for when you get famous, and there's no such thing as bad publicity.

She's only got about 10-15 pounds to lose to get her old figure back. So, she'll go on a diet, maybe get a bit of lipo, and pretty soon she'll be back on the covers of magazines saying how she overcame adversity, lost all her weight through diet and exercise, and it will probably be timed before the release of her next album!

Don't flame me ;) but:

I think the reason she is getting blasted for her weight gain is because she doesn't look "fine"...at least not for what her fans have come to expect of her. If she were a serious actress, she would look 'fine' and she wouldn't be in the headlines.

But she didn't get famous off her talent, she got famous from a killer figure with a so-so voice. Now she doesn't have that killer figure that teenage boys and young men want, she isn't a fantasy girl anymore, so her fans are bummed, and the media is laughing. Now, I don't think she deserves the mocking of course, but she got rich and famous for having little substance and big boobs, and the media loves to see someone come down. All this attention is what you sign up for when you get famous, and there's no such thing as bad publicity.

She's only got about 10-15 pounds to lose to get her old figure back. So, she'll go on a diet, maybe get a bit of lipo, and pretty soon she'll be back on the covers of magazines saying how she overcame adversity, lost all her weight through diet and exercise, and it will probably be timed before the release of her next album!

Oh, if we're judging her talent, well that's another story. I actually have no idea what she does. Never heard her music, watched her tv show or saw her movies. I have no clue as to why she is famous. If I didn't go grocery shopping I wouldn't have ever even heard of her. In fact I only clicked on this thread in the first place 'cause from the title I thought she had died and her body had been found somewhere!

I'm a big fan of skinny. I myself am not skinny. But this particular picture of Jessica Simpson, I think she looks great! There were some unflattering pictures is the US magazine in this outfit. But the one in this article I think she looks really good.

Annie

Not the most flattering angle for a picture, right behind her "assets". If someone took a picture of my behind like that, i would be fuming. A little class, photographer, please. That being said, I don't think she looks bad at all. Definitely a little "thicker" but as many of you said, a size 4 is not the real size of a WOMAN, it is the size of a little girl. Hollywood and the music biz puts all this pressure on women to keep their bods like teenage girls.

I personally hate the women who pop out a baby and two months later are rail thin. That is not normal. And by the way, for all us women who have babies and see that 2 montsh later we still have pounds to shed, it makes it that much harder to accept our bodies for the beautiful, life-giving, pieces of art that they are!

Hmmm.... I find a couple of these statements disturbing. I am a size zero WOMAN, and I gained 16 lbs having my 9 lb baby and the baby weight was gone the day after I delivered. Why does this make me not "normal". It might place me in the minority, but saying that my circumstances make me abnormal and that I am not a woman, are just as demeaning as calling Jessica fat and out of shape.

Why hate someone whose experience and body type are different from yours?

It works both ways you know.

I thought she looked fine. Okay--she's not rail thin, big deal; she's not obese. It's hard to tell whether she would technically qualify as overweight or not based on her BMI. What the article doesn't tell is whether or not she is happy and healthy. Isn't that really what is important?
~michelle

I was in the grocery last evening. There was an article about Jessica's boyfriend going out on her. The young men said, "If I had a girl that beautiful, I will be d**ed if I would go out on her!"

And as far as low rise jeans go, I hate them. I like the mid rise jeans better. But I prefer a higher rise in jeans. I think no matter what the rise in the jeans, if they are dark wash and skinny in the butt and thigh area, they look awesome with an embellished or plain white blouse or shirt.

Actually according to "fashion experts", low rise are out of style.

But these "experts" have been wrong before.

They said "Uggs" were going out of style.

I still see Uggs and Uggs-like boots everywhere all of the US. I saw more Uggs and Ugg like boots in Las Vegas that I could believe.

It was about 98 segrees and I saw tons of women in Uggs and shorts!

I am 5 feet tall, 54 years old and wear a size 4 jean. The thing is to be toned, no matter what a person's size. I do not feel like a lard butt at my size. I am just happy that at age 54 I can still wear clothing that does not make me look like a Dancing Granny!

Sorry for the convoluted post!

Last edited:
Society's Bias

I'm thinking the jeans and the camera angle aren't helping. I look more like the picture of Marilyn toward the bottom of the page. I wouldn't mind looking like Jessica in that picture. Goodness, she's human!!! Let the woman eat a cheeseburger if she wants!!! I'm thinking she's not a 12. I'm a 12, and am not looking like that. One of the comments on the website was from a guy named Phil. Phil needs to get his eyesight check. He basically called her a fat pig who needs to lose some pounds. How rude!

Nan

Some men, most of whom look like Fatty Arbucle, are the worst ones to judge a woman as fat.

These are men who probaly have not seen their feet in 25 years!

Without going into detail, I have been called morbidly obese, a fat ass and so on.

I wear a size 4 to 6 petite, for goodness sake.

When a woman hits a certain age like me (54), her face looks better with a little meat on her bones...

OMG, let's not begin another flame war!

Hmmm.... I find a couple of these statements disturbing. I am a size zero WOMAN, and I gained 16 lbs having my 9 lb baby and the baby weight was gone the day after I delivered. Why does this make me not "normal". It might place me in the minority, but saying that my circumstances make me abnormal and that I am not a woman, are just as demeaning as calling Jessica fat and out of shape.

Why hate someone whose experience and body type are different from yours?

It works both ways you know.

Please, please, please, let's all state our opinions and not judge one another.

I was just curious about what people think about Jessica, not to begin another flame war.

Would it matter if I told you I just showed the pics to my DH?

In a very approving tone, he said she looks "all right" in the first pic (in the 'bad' jeans) and too skinny in the second pic (the the sack dress).

I'm certainly no JS fan but I think she looks wonderfully curvy in the first pic. The jeans don't bother me at all.

I am sure it is the jeans and hideous belt that make her look as she does. However, I am not going to be hypocritical here. Sure, she looks normal now. You'd pass her on the street and she'd fit right in just as she is now. But, I think she looked better before because she was fitter and in better shape.

What any of us thinks is so unimportant anyway. The only thing that matters is how she herself feels about herself. Regardless of how I perceive someone's physique, unless grossly obese, to the extent of endangering health, I would defend anyone's right to be whatever shape they need to be in to be happy in their own skin.

But, I have to say that my tolerance level for the "troubles" of any celebrity is extremely low. As Marta said, they have all the time and money in the world to work out, eat healthily and be in as great a shape as they can. I don't have much empathy for this kind of "trouble." I save my empathy for the John Travolta's of this world. People experiencing normal, human tragedy or hard times.

Clare

I find I'm a very harsh judge of celebrities and I thought Jessica looked fat. I know a lot had to do with that horrbile outfit but honestly she's a bit of a chunky monkey. In my book celebrities should be thin (not skinny). If they look like me then they are not that special.

I don't agree at all! That's like saying public speakers should all be thin. Teachers should all be thin! Anyone that's seen by another person in their job should be thin! That makes no sense whatsoever. Everyone has different body shapes and as long as they pose no health risks to themselves should be happy with it. Why does a celebrity need to be thinner? Their profession is to sing, speak, act or something or other. What if being thin were a 'requirement' for you to be in your profession and it's not health related?

I'd completely reword your last sentence to say if they act, or sing, or speak, like me than they are not special, because that is their job and the appearance is just a side item!

Rant over.....:)

Hi

I'm in the uk and my size is somewhere between 12-16 depending on where and what I'm purchasing. Anyway I have no concept whatsoever of size 2, 4, zero whatever. But I think in the first picture she looks gorgeous compared to the second. Okay the clothes could be better but she looks so much more healthier and glamourous.
Also look at Marilyn Monroe she was a beautiful woman but no way was she skinny. I don't know whats happened to society where skinny is so sort after. I know from personal experience (having had bulimia in my teens) that as long as I'm fit, healthy, exercising along with Cathe and trying to eat well the majority of the time; then everythings okay with me.
At 40 I realise in nature its all about balance and thats what I look for in my life.

Laura
x

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.