Interesting Article

Not annoying, Karen. I find it interesting. Thanks for posting. My personal experimentation with my own diet is anecdotal support for what the author is asserting in these articles. I don't strive for ketosis, but I have never felt better since eating more protein, embracing all types of fats (including butter and full fat dairy), and consciously limiting the overly processed white stuff (white flour, white rice, etc). I do still eat oatmeal, sweet potatoes, beans, air popped popcorn, farro, etc. Oh yeah, and there is the occasional (or, um, daily?) spoonful of Cookie Butter...but I'm only human, right? :p

Karen, are you still following the Carb Nite Solution? What are your thoughts (or anyone else's) on these dietary approaches?

Lisa

Not annoying, Karen. I find it interesting. Thanks for posting. My personal experimentation with my own diet is anecdotal support for what the author is asserting in these articles. I don't strive for ketosis, but I have never felt better since eating more protein, embracing all types of fats (including butter and full fat dairy), and consciously limiting the overly processed white stuff (white flour, white rice, etc). I do still eat oatmeal, sweet potatoes, beans, air popped popcorn, farro, etc. Oh yeah, and there is the occasional (or, um, daily?) spoonful of Cookie Butter...but I'm only human, right? :p

Karen, are you still following the Carb Nite Solution? What are your thoughts (or anyone else's) on these dietary approaches?

Lisa

I agree Lisa, since starting a high protein, high fat diet, I am never hungry. I have carbs, just keep them fairly low every day. I have found that I don't need a lot of carbs in my diet. I keep losing weight. (can't say that I am not pleased) but I don't want to lose any more. I took a break from the Carb Nite Solution. Now I'm eating more like a Paleo Diet. I feel great. I liked these articles, because this is the way I eat, and it works. Thanks for reading and asking. How are you and the little munchkin doing? It's almost time, and does she have a name? And, OH YEA, to the cookie butter.

Last edited:
Keeping the carbs (usually whole oats) to around my workout times, and eating protein, veg and some fat has worked well for me too. So easy to do, such great results (especially energy-wise), that I'm unlikely to ever change this way of eating. My body seems to be able to regulate it's weight - I don't get too skinny, nor too chubby, even if the amount I eat varies dramatically.
Good articles, thank you.

The Zone eating plan that I have been on for years expresses all the facts from the articles. But unlike Atkins or South Beach, it is more balanced.

But I decided to stop stressing over every little thing I eat. It started to seem like I would gain a little, and think, it must have been that ______ that I ate yesterday. It was making me crazy! So now I eat a good breakfast (egg white omelet), a good lunch (tuna), and watch dinner closely, but I have 1 thing every day that I really enjoy. I just upped my workout intensity. And I am still doing fine.

I agree Lisa, since starting a high protein, high fat diet, I am never hungry. I have carbs, just keep them fairly low every day. I have found that I don't need a lot of carbs in my diet. I keep losing weight. (can't say that I am not pleased) but I don't want to lose any more. I took a break from the Carb Nite Solution. Now I'm eating more like a Paleo Diet. I feel great. I liked these articles, because this is the way I eat, and it works. Thanks for reading and asking. How are you and the little munchkin doing? It's almost time, and does she have a name? And, OH YEA, to the cookie butter.

Karen, sounds like you are in a really good groove in terms of your diet and your workouts. Paleo + BBA seems like it's really working for you! ;) The thing that gets me about Paleo is the no dairy and no legumes...at least that was my understanding of pure Paleo. I'd die without my thick greek yogurt, the occasional cheese platter, black beans, and peanut butter!

Thanks for asking about my little bun in the oven! She's doing great and growing strong! I'm 35 weeks now. My 3-year-old DD1 told me the other day I look like a clown because of my belly. I still can't figure out if that's a compliment, or if I should send her to her room for a timeout!!! :p We do have a name for her but we don't announce until it's on the birth certificate because my family judges and offers too many opinions on that sorta thing, ha! I'll PM you with the details and a pic when the time comes, if you'd like. Hopefully it won't be until next month sometime!

Hugs!

Lisa

Karen, sounds like you are in a really good groove in terms of your diet and your workouts. Paleo + BBA seems like it's really working for you! ;) The thing that gets me about Paleo is the no dairy and no legumes...at least that was my understanding of pure Paleo. I'd die without my thick greek yogurt, the occasional cheese platter, black beans, and peanut butter!

Thanks for asking about my little bun in the oven! She's doing great and growing strong! I'm 35 weeks now. My 3-year-old DD1 told me the other day I look like a clown because of my belly. I still can't figure out if that's a compliment, or if I should send her to her room for a timeout!!! :p We do have a name for her but we don't announce until it's on the birth certificate because my family judges and offers too many opinions on that sorta thing, ha! I'll PM you with the details and a pic when the time comes, if you'd like. Hopefully it won't be until next month sometime!

Hugs!

Lisa

I'm not 100% Paleo, I still have to have my full fat yogurt, and my occasional breve latte. I'm not a big legumes person, but I love black beans on my "Cafe Rio" steak salad, and I do love my quinoa. So, 100% absolutely not. I figure I've been on the planet long enough that, "I do what I want." Make up my own rules. As long as it's not illegal, it works for me. Please do PM me, I would love to see pictures. Now that my kids are grown, I miss babies. Go figure. With kids, a day lasts forever, but 30 years flies by, before you know it.

Last edited:
I was showing beginning signs of glucose intolerance and changed my diet to lower carb. I lost 15 pounds pretty quickly unintentionally. I have never felt better. It's been a year since I went lower carb. I get most of my carbs from veggies and nuts. My glucose is back to normal. I don't have sugar cravings like I did. My meals keep me full much longer...increased my fat and protein lots. Before the change, I was mostly high carb with no meat. These articles were a great read. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome info! I just finished reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living as well as The New Atkins book by Volek and Phinney. Great reads as well. I am trying to get my carbs lower, it has been an off and on process over the year, as well as a huge learning curve. Unfortunately, Easter weekend was more like carb weekend. I got keto flu a few weeks back and although I felt really terrible, I was so thrilled that my body had switched from burning carbs to burning fat! Now I've learned how to maintain this lifestyle and I can't see myself going back to carbs.

It does seem like lowering carbs (especially bread & sugar) helps me a lot. The best nutrition book I've read is by Gary Taubes - Good Calories, Bad Calories. He goes through research over the years, and comes to conclusions very similar to the Paleo diet.

I think the evidence to date is pretty overwhelming (both scientifically and anecdotally) that low-carb diets are sound in preventing and treating weight gain and diabetes, as long as overall quality of food and calories still being consumed are not ignored. And naturally, one still has to get plenty of exercise, rest, lower stress, etc.

In addition to dietary change, I believe some people need medication in order to correct the serotonin and/or dopamine issues that cause them to be overly drawn towards unhealthy carbs and sweets (or alcohol, for that matter) and overeating. This element of treatment is often ignored because our society is big on believing in doing things on sheer willpower, a limited viewpoint that holds many people back IMHO. Dealing with brain chemistry correctly could be key to long-term success with overeating or carb addiction.

I don't personally cut out fruits, vegetables, or a starch like sweet potatoes. I eat butter, full-fat dairy, EVOO, and extra-virgin coconut oil. (I have excellent cholesterol numbers, although that could just be good luck on my part.) I did cut out all soda, beer, wine, muffins, bagels, bread, and pasta. Not for diabetes (I actually have just the opposite problem, low blood sugar), but because my stomach was killing me and I knew they were piling on the pounds. It resolved ALL of my stomach pain and problems, eased PMS symptoms, relieved water retention issues, increased my energy, and I lost a lot of weight. I also cut out chocolate, discovering it is a trigger food for me that causes breakouts, increases sinus problems, and irritates my stomach. Soy is another problem for me, but that's another story! I have an extreme tendency towards obesity, and fibromyalgia makes me overly sensitive to many foods. People need not be as extreme as I was. But it does give results. And don't worry, I still eat plenty! :)

Whenever I deviate from the cutout diet, I pay for it in stomach pain, a headache, fatigue, etc. It's not worth it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.