Injury advice

They're wrist support gloves (WAG = wrist assist glove, or something similar). Commonly used for yoga and pilates, anything where you're in plank a lot. I use gloves for UY.

Justine

Thanks Justine,

Glad you replied to this one cause the first thing which came on my mind, LMOL:D is footballer's wives and girlfriends as we call them here in england WAG:D:D:D

Have you used them?
Do they look like this?

http://store.virtualskogg.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=kb-glove

Last edited:
The wags gloves are great to help prevent an injury but they will not help if you already have one. My wrist is a little touchy right now without an injury and i wear them for all my w/o. You really need to just rest it for a week or two or you will be right back where you are now. They are great for weight lifting, planks, and cycling so definitely purchase them, you will love them.

Thanks Zenara for posting this.
I am looking to purchase this for when I get back to KB routine.:):)
I do not want the kb to interfere with my wrist.:cool:

Nathalie, sorry I didn't get back to this! Thanks for posting the link Zenara! I have these on my wish list!;)

Hello all. Thanks again for all the advice. I went to the doctor today. They did tests, X-Rays and I will have to get an EMG. But she is pretty sure it is carpal tunnel in my wrist and possibly also in my elbow. She said the EMG will tell her if I have it in both. I have to get injections and if that doesn't fix it, then surgery.

As for lifting weights, I was actually surprised by her response! She told me to continue to not lift weights for another 4-5 days while taking ibuprofen. Then if I am feeling better, I can start lifting weights again. However, she said from now on I have to wear wrist braces when lifting. She also said I need a stiff wrist brace when sleeping.

I don't like all the doctors appointments but I am happy I can get back to STS in about a week and a half!

Hello all. Thanks again for all the advice. I went to the doctor today. They did tests, X-Rays and I will have to get an EMG. But she is pretty sure it is carpal tunnel in my wrist and possibly also in my elbow. She said the EMG will tell her if I have it in both. I have to get injections and if that doesn't fix it, then surgery.

As for lifting weights, I was actually surprised by her response! She told me to continue to not lift weights for another 4-5 days while taking ibuprofen. Then if I am feeling better, I can start lifting weights again. However, she said from now on I have to wear wrist braces when lifting. She also said I need a stiff wrist brace when sleeping.

I don't like all the doctors appointments but I am happy I can get back to STS in about a week and a half!

No doubt you now have a big smile on your face. Take it easy ;). Glad you have some happiness back:):)

Good to see that you are close to a diagnosis. Not sure if you mind some input, I am an occupational therapist that specializes in hand injuries. I see carpal (wrist) tunnel syndrome and cubital tunnel (elbow) syndrome on a daily basis.

These are two very separate diagnoses, occurring in different tunnels and affecting different nerves. It sounds like you might be dealing with two different issues. They will need different interventions.

I definitely have strong opinions on splint choices. I find family doctors often send patients to drug stores to get generic wrist braces which drives the therapists crazy.

EMG studies are notoriously inconclusive /painful, and really only purpose is to confirm a diagnosis that is easy to make clinically.

Injections are symptom relief and do not fix the problem. I have never seen the 8 plastic surgeons that I work with use them for either syndrome.

If you do decide to have a surgical release make sure you get a plastic surgeon that specializes in hand surgery.

Sorry, as you can see I have some strong opinions and could write pages but will stop there. I'm happy to provide more info if you like just send me a message.

Ha Jen!! I posted this while having NOT read ALL the posts including your update with your doctor recommending wrists braces AND wearing them when you sleep!! So please forgive me but at least it reiterates what you learned from your doctor. Lol! And that's what my doc said it was too, carpal tunnel (he did all those tests on me too) from all the weights and hand balancing. I do recommend a longer rest/recovery period than your doc recommends at least until you have pretty much no pain in your hands.:

Hi Jengolif! I totally understand. I've had wrist/hand injury in the past ~ too much hand balancing in yoga and then handstanding plus doing weights. And it took me a year to recover because I didn't rest it in the beginning. And it's a sneaky injury because I also didn't feel anything whilst working out. It was also only afterwards when doing other things like as you said holding my iphone, picking up groceries, throwing out the garbage, washing the dishes, typing at my computer, holding the mouse, and after sleeping, etc. BUT it did get worse and I started to finally feel it while doing my weights and vinyasa's in yoga or holding downdog position. These are the things I needed to do in order to heal:
• REST, REST, REST!! I finally had to surrender and back off of everything for a number of weeks for the inflammation to die down and the median nerve from the wrist into the hand not be compressed by the inflammation. For you it may only need a couple of weeks or so.
• When resuming activities when going into plank or downdog I always held it on my forearms like another great poster said. You still get the benefit but no stress in the wrists and hands. Do this modification until your wrist are perfectly fine.
• Wearing Wrist Braces – Mueller Green Wrist braces (Amazon.com: Mueller Fitted Wrist Brace, Left, Green, Black, Small/Medium: Health & Personal Care When my wrists were in the critical phase I wore them all the time, off and on during the day (it's best to cycle on and off during the day but a must to wear them during anything that irritates the hands). So I always wore them when holding my iphone, washing dishes, groceries etc. I still wear them even now for throwing out garbage or doing heavy shopping at Costco. lol! I also wore them when sleeping. My sports medicine doctor recommended me do so as it protects your wrists from bending inwards which is a very natural position that most people sleep in but puts a constant compression to the median nerve thus exacerbating the inflammation. So during the initial phase of injury I always wore them to bed. It's a MUST for recovery! When my wrists got better I wear my old ones (as they're more flexible) for doing all weights and planks, pushups, etc. and I use my new one's for Costco. Lol! I highly recommend these braces as they have a low profile while still being very stable for the wrists. The only downside to these one's is the straps can wear out fast as they're made with velcro and you'll be wearing them alot in the beginning. But they're SO worth it that I'm willing to purchase more frequently in order to have the best braces for my wrists. I've tried others and there way to big going too far down the forearm, too many buckles and straps, and the metal sticks into your palm too much therefore making it impossible to use for working out when your wrists get better. These have been my saving grace in my recovery AND in my maintenance to continue to go far with my weight training.
• I've tried the WAGS, but for me they weren't a great solution. They may be for you for doing planks once your hands get better but they really didn't make that much difference. What really worked was the Mueller Green wrists braces. If you do get them be sure for working out with them that they get nicely worked in first. Which you should not have problems doing if you use them as prescribed to hold the phone, typing, holding the mouse, washing dishes, etc until the pain and inflammation goes down.

Do NOT try to workout through this as you'll have a MUCH longer recovery period like I did. Especially since you're already feeling the pain doing other things. But the good news is that they did get better! However, I do have to maintain my workouts with my braces now. But that's a non issue for me. Please do what your wonderful husband says and all the other amazing Catheletes here have recommended and back off all upper body, and do your planks on your forearms. And go see a qualified sports medicine doctor for diagnosis and therapy script and I highly recommend the wrist braces which is most likely one of the things your sports doc will recommend. :)

God bless!

Last edited:
Ha Jen!! I posted this while having NOT read ALL the posts including your update with your doctor recommending wrists braces AND wearing them when you sleep!! So please forgive me but at least it reiterates what you learned from your doctor. Lol! And that's what my doc said it was too, carpal tunnel (he did all those tests on me too) from all the weights and hand balancing. I do recommend a longer rest/recovery period than your doc recommends at least until you have pretty much no pain in your hands.:

Wow! Thank you for your post! How long do you recommend no weight work? I actually did research on the wrist braces and ended up buying the exact ones you recommend! I was planning to wait until they arrived before I attempt any weights. I thought I would start with light weight work--things like Flextrain and Supercuts where I am not lifting anywhere near as heavy as I do with STS. Do workouts like those "count" as the same kind of weight work as STS? I had initially planned to do the lighter weight work next week then the week after start Meso 2 over, but now I am wondering if I should do the lighter weight work for several weeks.

I have not lifted a single weight since Monday--I'm doing all cardio and my wrist is better, though I won't lie, it still hurts, just not nearly as bad.

I didn't mention this before, but I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel in both wrists 20 years ago and wore very stiff wrist braces for many months. I still have them. I haven't had any problem with my wrists until now. I wore my old right wrist brace to sleep in last night and I will reserve that one for sleeping since it is so stiff--it holds my wrist completely immobile. I plan to use the Mueller Green Wrist braces for working out since they appear to have more flexibility.

Good to see that you are close to a diagnosis. Not sure if you mind some input, I am an occupational therapist that specializes in hand injuries. I see carpal (wrist) tunnel syndrome and cubital tunnel (elbow) syndrome on a daily basis.

These are two very separate diagnoses, occurring in different tunnels and affecting different nerves. It sounds like you might be dealing with two different issues. They will need different interventions.

I definitely have strong opinions on splint choices. I find family doctors often send patients to drug stores to get generic wrist braces which drives the therapists crazy.

EMG studies are notoriously inconclusive /painful, and really only purpose is to confirm a diagnosis that is easy to make clinically.

Injections are symptom relief and do not fix the problem. I have never seen the 8 plastic surgeons that I work with use them for either syndrome.

If you do decide to have a surgical release make sure you get a plastic surgeon that specializes in hand surgery.

Sorry, as you can see I have some strong opinions and could write pages but will stop there. I'm happy to provide more info if you like just send me a message.

Just to clarify, my doctor asked a lot of questions and did a pretty comprehensive exam on my wrist/arm in the office. She said she feels pretty confident it is carpal tunnel in my wrist, but because of the way the pain is distributed (when it is really bad--not every day)--up my forearm, through my elbow, tricep and even into my lats, she wanted to make sure the elbow isn't involved. I assume they get the tests for insurance purposes, since they need a diagnosis code to get my insurance to authorize additional treatment. However now that I haven't lifted weights since Monday, the pain is only in my wrist, the outside of my hand and the outside of my forearm.

My father recently had very successful carpal tunnel release, so if I have to have the surgery done I will use his surgeon. Of course, all of this depends on what my insurance allows as well. And of course, the insurance will not go straight to surgery. I have to start with conservative treatment or they will not pay for the surgery. That's just the way insurance works. I already knew that but my doctor stated that when she told me we would have to start with injections.

Ugg, I posted a long post first thing this morning and then I think we lost internnet service and my post disappeared when I was on the last sentence. So frustrating!

Sounds like you are on the right track, Jenn!

If it's okay I might post a little more info on CTS as I know twinkle toes had some questions about the splints.

-the carpal tunnel is an actually tunnel made up of bones and a ligament. The tendons of the finger flexors and the median nerve run through this tunnel. When the tunnel gets too full then the median nerve gets squeezed against the roof of the tunne. The tunnel gets too full as either the tendons are inflammed and take up more space and/or there is fluid in the tunnel .

-when the nerve gets squeezed you will get numbness/tingling in the palm side of the thumb, index, middle, and half of the ring finger. There will not be any problems with the elbow or little finger. If not addressed then additional symptoms will start to appear.If the elbow or little finger is involved that is an ulnar nerve/cubital tunnel issue which is a different issue. The nerve that provides feeling to the little finger/ and half of the ring finger does not go through the carpal tunnel.

-a quick easy fairly consistent test for carpal tunnel is keep your elbow fully extended and use your other hand to push your wrist into full flexion (opposite as to what you do with a push up position). If you have carpal tunnel the thumb, index, middle (not your little digit) should start to have tingling within a minute

-always the first question to address once the diagnosis has been confirmed is why is the tunnel full? It's usually not a one cause but many factors, hormones is big espically preganacy/menopause, poor sleeping position (squeezing the tunnel closed), using vibration tools, other diagnoses like hypothroid, diabetes, obesity. Repetitive wrist flexion/extension cause the tendons to become inflammed. And of course the tunnel narrows with age. Often it's that perfect storm, maybe your tunnel is narrow to begin with and then you do a lot of repititve wrist movement over a few days, during a period of time that hormones are up and then you sleep in a bad position. |Next thing you know your carpal tunnel is acting up.

-so once you have had it before, then you can notice the symptoms quickly and prevent if from worsening but getting inflammation down, reducing wrist movement for a few days and getting that carpal tunnel open so the fluid can drain

-the night splints have a different purpose than the daytime splints. Sounds like Jen had both sets. The night time ones are the more important ones in theory. The daytime ones are wrist supports to stop you from doing the repetitve movement during the day but you could just reduce the activity and not use the splints although the splints made feel good when you are painful.

-the night time ones are designed to open the carpal tunnel to it's maximum volume and drain fluid. To get the carpal tunnel open fully the wrist needs to be in a neutral position which is a very unnatural position. When you use your hand to pick something up it goes into extension so the day time wrist supports are usually in that position to be functional. Picture a pencil or ruler sittIing on the back of your wrist (one end pointing at the fingers and the other at the shoulder) and it should sit flat, that is a neutral wrist. In our hand clinic we custom mold from plastic splints that sit on the back of the wrist (not palm side) that holds the wrist neutral. They are rigid, neutral wrist and nothing on the palm side of the wrist so that they is no pressure on the carpal tunnel over night. We find these very effective.

-I don't know anything about insurance because I'm in Canada and everything is totally free but in I know in the USA that physiotherapist and occupational therapists can take extra education and become a certified hand therapist and that's who would makes the custom splints and provide some help with figuring out what activities that you may be doing to cause your nerve compression

-Jenn, in your case if your elbow is included as well as your wrist it's good to hear that doctor is doing a workout to ensure that it's a localized compression and not a more proximal issue.

-Sure hope you don't mind me typing this essay and I sure hope it posts this time

Hey Jenn! Sorry it took me so long to answer as I got a little life swamped. :eek: But I wanted so say that's awesome that you got the Mueller Greens! I hope they workout (love the pun!) well for you! :D My wrist/hands are starting to feel normal now. And I was able to do some shoulder and bicep work the other day with my braces which I hadn't done in almost 3 weeks. But we'll see if it sticks when I resume my yoga again next week. As I took another break this week from it just because I got so busy and it seems to have helped.

And thank you SO much Cab for all that detailed info. So useful as I called my Sports Medicine doctor to inquire about the sleeping braces that have the stiff backside and no stiff structure on the palm side. I really would like to get that type of brace for sleeping. I live in Canada, in Toronto to be exact. Does your clinic happen to be located here? Or would you know of any clinic in Toronto that sells these braces OR a brand that's designed like in that fashion that you could recommend? I'm concerned that the cost of handmade one's will be SUPER prohibitive for me at this time even with insurance I'd have to fork it out first and then prove with LONG letters that I need it and only get a certain amount back. If I could find one similar to that with no front bracing that would be awesome. Thanks again Cab for your amazing professional information and your help!

I'm in Winnipeg, not sure which Toronto hospitals have hand clinics. Here in Manitoba all splints, OT/PT are 100% covered by Manitoba Health but I do know that Ontario does not have such good coverage.

Oh ya! Our coverage is crappy, Ontario is cheap! There was a time when we had full coverage. A loooooOoong forgotten time ago.

I found this Thread when looking for answers to my wrist pain. So much god advice. No mention of Wrist/hand straps...Any input on that?

Also what about the suggestion of using wrist weights with high reps?

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.