Injury advice

jengollf

Cathlete
I am really upset. I have been having problems with my right wrist that is getting progressively worse. It is now hurting sometimes when I am lifting weights. I plan to order wrist braces for when working out (apparently Crossfitters use them all the time), but now I am wondering if I should take a forced recovery week in which I lift no weights and do nothing in plank position. I am on my second run through STS and am currently pyramiding back down and am in the middle of Meso 2. Plus I am trying all my new workouts (that I bought with Amazon gift cards I got for Xmas and B-day) and I am finding they all either use weights or have me doing planks, burpees, etc. Normally I don't mind any of this at all, but my wrist is not getting better. The weird thing is, I can tolerate any discomfort during a workout, it is afterward, when typing or using my iphone or picking up basic things like books or my water bottle that it really hurts.

Any advice would be appreciated. My husband is getting very upset with me for continuing to workout with heavy weights. He wants me to go to the doctor. But I have come so far! I don't want to quit now! Plus I have all these new workouts to sample! I have this fear of losing strength--I lifted heavier than I've ever lifted in Meso 3 and for my pyramid back down, I am sticking with 80% of my 1RM for all of Meso 2. If I take time off now, I can't just come back to that same level. :(

I'm sorry to hear you're in pain :(. Take your hubby's advice and see your doctor. Follow his/her advice, it is going to be more informed than anything someone on a discussion board can be. Don't worry about your strength, you have a good base and can get back to lifting when you're medically cleared for it. I wish you well :)

jenngollf, I would definitely take your hubby's advice. If you continue using your wrist, it will just get even worse and then you may be out longer. Right now if you go to the doctor, you can get it looked at and heal and be back sooner. So please go get it checked out now, please!!! You will not lose strength or any fitness gains in a couple weeks, your body will remember and come right back. Remember, the workouts will always be there - you have to take care of yourself.

Jen - just to say that I hope it mends quickly, and that I totally agree with the other posters and your hubby.

But, I'd be putting on my weighted vest and squatting ;)

Take care,
Justine

Thanks everyone. I knew this but I just kept working through it and rather than get better, it is getting worse.

I made a doctor appointment and today I will go home and redo my workout rotation for the next few weeks.

I have to admit, I feel very depressed. Odd how something like this makes me sad.

Any suggestions for workouts I can do that are intense, but don't require me holding dumbbells or getting into a plank position? I immediately thought of most of Cathe's step workouts--all of the Imax workouts, Tabatacise, the HIIT workouts (I could just do an alternate move for any burpees), CCC, all of her kickboxing workouts... am I forgetting anything?

So sad that trying out all of my new workouts will be put on hold (Tonique, Dream Body, lots of KCM). Oh well.

Can you use bands? I'm thinking in particular about the lat move in Slide n' Glide with the Firewalker loop around the forearms?

Jen, so sorry to hear about your wrist. I can relate. I broke my right wrist about 3 years ago and felt just the same as you regarding my working out. I was in a hard cast for 7 weeks, so I improvised a lot, but did not quit working out.

I continued to run. I don't know if you're a runner, but I could run in a cast, so I kept it up. I think that's what kept me sane.

I also did lots of lower body workouts.... some even that required weights. I just wouldn't hold a weight in my right hand (of course). I couldn't use the barbell, but I could do pretty well with using one dumbbell.

As far as planks, I did them on my elbows. I just did them in the same way as I would if on my hands, but on my elbows. (All variations... just on my elbows.)

I also did upper body weights, but didn't hold a weight in my right hand. I was casted from the tips of my fingers to my shoulder, so holding anything wasn't an option. It wasn't easy, and I won't lie.... I lost a lot of muscle in my right arm. That probaby won't happen to you like it did to me because at least you can move your arm and hand.

I agree with everyone else though. You should stop using the wrist. It is never going to heal if you don't. You can stop for a couple of weeks/months now and come back good as new. Or you can continue to use it and have a lifetime of problems.

Good luck! :)

Wish you a speedy recovery

Hi Jen,

Sorry to hear about your wrist.

You have had many good advises. I would suggest you get a wrist support.
Massaging specially the top part of forearms muscles (extinsors....) might also help.

Amending your rotation is a great idea Jen. I would add, you do not visit afterburn cause I can recall feeling too much pressure on my wrist.

Lastly I wish you a prompt recovery cause I know you could end up being not happy at all;)

Best regards,

Most of Crossfire? (Obviously not the woodchops) Barre work for the legs - and floor work from various leg workouts. Especially roll outs with the stability ball. It looks like you'll be getting those Firewalkers out too!
Could you wear weighted gloves for high rep upper body work?

I bet you'll end up with a great rotation that's totally different from usual - let us know.

Jen,

I am sorry to hear about your wrist. In my 30+ years of exercising I have had two pregnancies, a casted right leg, fell off my bike onto both my knees (which had lots of inflammation for a few months) and hurt my shoulder somehow-tear, tendonitis, I don't really know-but have had to make amends for it for at least a year now....and the older you get the longer your have to rest an injury!

My point is: there are always going to be times in your life when you can't work out like you want to. It is very depressing and upsetting. But there is a big picture! At least you can walk and do lower body exercises. Before my husband had back surgery he could not walk. He really, really appreciates now that he can!

You've gotten good ideas about what to do in the meantime while you let your wrist heal. You may want to inquire about wrist rehab in the pool (after you heal). The water gives you resistance all the way around your body/wrist and can help strengthen the area before you go back to weights.

Be happy with what you can do-try to focus on the positive! Sign up for a marathon and really shock your body!

At least here at the forums we can empathize with you.

Beth

I've had some "strain" injury while heavy lifting. the first time was similar to tennis elbow. I quit the heavy lifting for 3 weeks and only did metabolic stuff. I didn't loose much strength. the next oh my real pain was while doing barbell squats I lost concentration and the bar slipped or did something that pinch a nerve/strain> I don't know what it was but a back adjustment and message made it feel better and I went with yoga only workouts for a month.

My latest strain/pain has been in my forearm. I can't figure out if I was to tight with a grip or just moved up weight to fast. It sucks but I had to go back to several weeks of light weight/metabolic stuff.

I like my muscle definition and strength and hate when I can't do lifting. I have found out that muscle memory is great. I've never lost much in the strength when I've need to take a break . I usually return back to a good lifting routine and get back to my last weight in just a few weeks.

Sorry you are having issues hope that the doctor visit goes well.

I have the exact problem you have except it is my left wrist. I have started going to physio and during burpees, planks or pushups use either dumbbells or pushup handlebars so that the weight is not directly over my wrist. Hope this helps.

Lisa

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I did Tabatacise premix 5 this morning, tomorrow I am doing Kickmax, Friday Low Max and Saturday Xtrain Legs premix 2.

I know Cathe has a lot of lower body workouts that use light weights (8 pound dumbbells I think) and I don't see why I couldn't do those since I am just holding the dumbbells.

I don't want to go crazy and exacerbate the problem, but I am wondering if incorporating some workouts like Super Cuts or Flex Train would be a problem. They aren't heavy lifting, but at least I am lifting something.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I did Tabatacise premix 5 this morning, tomorrow I am doing Kickmax, Friday Low Max and Saturday Xtrain Legs premix 2.

I know Cathe has a lot of lower body workouts that use light weights (8 pound dumbbells I think) and I don't see why I couldn't do those since I am just holding the dumbbells.

I don't want to go crazy and exacerbate the problem, but I am wondering if incorporating some workouts like Super Cuts or Flex Train would be a problem. They aren't heavy lifting, but at least I am lifting something.

I have both in my rotation this month. There are few push up, planks... in supercuts. you will need sub these. You need full recovery for your wrists. I did supercut today.

I have the exact problem you have except it is my left wrist. I have started going to physio and during burpees, planks or pushups use either dumbbells or pushup handlebars so that the weight is not directly over my wrist. Hope this helps.

Lisa

Thanks for this tip. It seems like a lot of workouts have me in plank or doing a burpee at some point. This morningit was Xtrain's Core 1. I was hardly in full plank any time and it didn't bother my wrist, but I probably should have used a dumbbell like you suggested. The rest of the time she has us in low plank which wasn't a problem.

I have both in my rotation this month. There are few push up, planks... in supercuts. you will need sub these. You need full recovery for your wrists. I did supercut today.

Yes, I do remember there is the push up/sit up sequence in Super Cuts. I really like that, too! :( But she has a premix I think that skips that, either that or I can just figure out something else to do during the push ups.

BTW--that is one reason I love workout DVDs--I'm not very creative. Even tho I do all of the exercises during the workout, I sometimes go blank on substitutions. Which seems silly. But I always assume the trainer picked the perfect exercise and anything I substitute will not give me as good of a workout. Silly, I know.

I've had some "strain" injury while heavy lifting. the first time was similar to tennis elbow. I quit the heavy lifting for 3 weeks and only did metabolic stuff. I didn't loose much strength. the next oh my real pain was while doing barbell squats I lost concentration and the bar slipped or did something that pinch a nerve/strain> I don't know what it was but a back adjustment and message made it feel better and I went with yoga only workouts for a month.

My latest strain/pain has been in my forearm. I can't figure out if I was to tight with a grip or just moved up weight to fast. It sucks but I had to go back to several weeks of light weight/metabolic stuff.

I like my muscle definition and strength and hate when I can't do lifting. I have found out that muscle memory is great. I've never lost much in the strength when I've need to take a break . I usually return back to a good lifting routine and get back to my last weight in just a few weeks.

Sorry you are having issues hope that the doctor visit goes well.

I feel this way, too. However, I have been wanting to do Cathe's recent fat loss rotations (January and the calendar rotation). maybe this is my excuse to finally do them.

I've been thinking about the metabolic workouts. My initial thought was no dumbbells whatsoever, but now that I think about it, using lighter weights in the metabolic workouts probably wouldn't be a problem. How did that work for you? I am going zero dumbbells the rest of this week, but I hate giving up the weights completely, even if I have to go with light ones!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.