I am afraid I won't be able to do the new workouts

I will be darned if I will cancel an order when I've waited over one year to obtain the workouts.

It would be stupid to cancel -- if they are not for me, I'll sell them!

Lorrayne, thanks for the tip about using a riser for the stablility ball. I never thought about that.

I think I've been portraying myself as far less fit than I really am.

And Cathe is awesome about stressing proper form.

And then there are all the premixes.

I've been physically active all my life (except during pregnancy when I was told not to work out due to problems).

So by the age of 52, my body is beginning to feel the years of use.

Still, I feel and look better than most 52 year old women. When I go out to stores, people call me "tiny" -- I look at myself and see a lard butt!

Oh, I'm rambling.

Anyway, you all are right -- give them a chance.

BUT I WILL NOT CANCEL MY ORDER -- I'VE WAITED TOO LONG TO DO THAT

;-)

Thanks, Janie!

You and the rest here are so right -- keep an open mind.

I remember when I thought I'd never be able to do Maximum Intensity Cardio all the way through -- now it is soooo easy!

I love that workout except the sound quality is poor -- but times and technology have changed.

I am sooooo ready to try a new Cathe video.

But still, I am scared.

But not enough to cancel my order or to not try to do them!

I've waited a long time for these and I am sure I will be back with glowing reviews for at least 80% of the workouts.

I honestly tried to like IMAX 3 and Hardcore Extreme, but they were not for me. It is not a negative reflection on Cathe at all. Nobody can like every thing all the time. I still think IMAX 3 has great music, but the workout is just too hard on my joints.

We are all different in our strengths and weaknesses. For example, I have very strong triceps and core. But bicep and tricep push ups kill me! And I've just recently begun to have good bicep strength with a barbell and dumbbell.

As for my Cathe workouts, I would be devasted if I were to lose them all in a fire or through theft or something.

Cathe's workout are one of the things that help my depression the most.

I would recommend anybody with major depressive disorder -- I am talking the crippling kind that floors you -- to incorporate a Cathe workout (beginner if they are just starting out). When I do Cathe's workouts I always feel better.

Sometimes I have to force myself to work out. I want to give up and say "to heck with it all".

But I get off my butt and do a Cathe workout and the feeling of happiness and accomplishment make all the difference in my mood. I may still be depressed, but at least I know I am fighting this horrible disease.

Cathe Friedrich is truly one of my role models and personal heroines.

So thanks for the support, girls! Looks like we have work to do!

:)

Listen to yourself set yourself up for failure before you've even started:

"I am terrified"
"I just don't think I am fit enough for this series"
"I am afraid these routines are going to be too complicated for me"
"I really don't like the stability ball"
"I sure can't get all the way down on tricep pushups"
"I just am not strong enough"

And that's just the negative comments from your first post!

Repeat after me, a person who is several years older than you - 57 to be exact in just a couple of week - "Yes, I CAN do those new videos! I welcome a challenge and except this new challenge with enthusiasm - Cathe, bring it on!"

End of pep talk

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

Cathe always offers many, many modifications. Watch them one time through before doing them, and pick up her modifications. Even write down what might be tricky so you can have equipment ready (ex: a band or light weights for heavy weights). You'll then be prepared when you try them. I've been working out with Cathe for a long time as well, and the new workouts do look challenging. I will try my best to do them, and if I can't finish any of them the first time, I know I have something to work towards. If something appears to be dangerous for me, then I will modify (some movement is better than none). Just give them a try (or two or 5):7 . Good luck. I'd love to hear how you do with them.
-Jen

Amy,

I can't even imagine what you are going through with depression. It has to be very hard for you. I'm convinced you will do beautifully, because of your great persistence.

You'll do the workouts just fine, just don't think about it, do it and modify when needed.

Janie

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return"
Nature Boy by eden ahbez 1908-1995

Oh am I ever afraid to try these new work outs. I just previewed them last night and thought OMG how am I going to get through them. It'll take me some time but I am determined to do this. We can do it together. :)

Geez, if that'a Pep Talk, I'd hate to hear you chew somebody out!

That entire post made me feel really bad -- I don't need a lecture -- which is what you delivered.

I am on so many medications that I don't have the stamina or the stability that many of you have.

But I'll tell you this: Because of Kathryn and Lorrayne, I did "Supersets" tonight and I worked that Stability Ball for all it's worth!

Thanks, Janie. It is hell. This is not sadness for some reason and I can't fix it.

So far my depression is resistant to every antidepressant I've tried.

So right now I have two choices for my depression.

One is Electroshock Therapy that works, but is only temporary. It also involves having Grand Mal Seizures induced 3 times per week for 4 to 6 weeks.

The other is Vagus Nerve Stimulation. This a fairly new treatment that has only been FDA approved for a few years. This works like a pacemaker. It is a permanent surgical implant into the Vagus nerve. But it is very expensive and I don't know if my insurance will cover it.

And the long term effects are not known.

I know I can get Electroshock though.

But do I want to wake up and not recognize anybody?

But then what if I can't do my workouts?

I am so looking forward to seeing the workouts.

Like the rest of you, I will probably be doing lots of premixes at first, but I am really excited about the workouts.

I've even been challenging myself in preparation for the workouts.

No, it was not a lecture and I'm sorry you took it that way.

My message was:

1. Don't use age as an excuse

2. What you say to yourself makes a huge difference in what you can and cannot do. The workouts have not even arrived; you have not had a chance to even view them, and you're already convinced that you can't do them. You've given up even before you've started. As others have pointed out, there are many ways to modify as with all of Cathe's other workouts.

My message to you was not a chewing out - to bring it down to it's simplest terms it was "Yes, you can!" That, in my book, is a pep talk.

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

Hi Amy, I saw an interview with Kitty Dukakis, who wrote a book about her experiences with electroshock therapy, which has helped her tremendously. She said there are trade-offs, like some memory loss, but she's glad to take that in exchange for her debilitating and otherwise untreatable depression. (She said the memory issues were temporary.)

Anyway, I think the others are just trying to help you. No one is putting you down or making you feel badly about yourself.

I hope that when you get the workouts you end up enjoying them. For me, they seemed intimidating on paper (or computer screen), but once I saw the previews, they actually look like fun. Remember there are premixes and you can always modify to make them work for you.

Best of luck to you - and I very much agree with you that working out, especially with someone as genuine and upbeat as Cathe, has really helped my depression. :)

Hey Amy!
After the long clips, I can tell you that Drill max will most likely be finding it's way to Ebay--and probably Buts n' Guts too, but BM2 and LIC look like I can really get some pretty good stuff out of them. That's one of the great things about Cathe--there's almost always something you can use!;-)

I haven't read what anyone else has said, but I personally am afraid I *can* do the workouts... does that make sense?? If I can do them right out of the box without a problem, then I have wasted money and time. PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM EXAGGERATING AND DO NOT EXPECT IN THE SLIGHTEST THAT I WILL BE ABLE TO DO THESE WORKOUTS RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!!!!

Part of what I enjoy about Cathe is her ability to push me to and beyond my limits... and then I meet them and exceed my limits and set them anew. It is an amazing accomplishment!!

Please don't sell yourself short before your new DVDs are even delivered!!! Go into it expecting to be challenged, and notice what you find difficult. After a few months, I'm sure you will be able to do more of the workout than you could at first, and even more importantly, more than you thought you could!!! GO FOR IT!!!!!! :7 }(

Honeybunch:

actually what you said to Amy was not a pep talk, it was quite horrible, in fact. Your words were some of the worst things you could possibly say to a depression sufferer. Your words were the equivalent of "just pull yourself up already" which, to a depression sufferer, is a slap in the face. Depression sufferers do not respond to verbal kicks in the pants like yours. Instead they internalize it, take it all very personally and feel so much worse for your "pep talk." The whole point about depression is that it is a state in which negative self-talk dominates, is second nature and is very hard to stop. But it is absolutely not the same as self-pity, which is how you interpreted it. Amy was not trying to find excuses, she was using the forum to talk herself through her fears and seeking both validation for them and help to overcome them. Please have more sensitivity, or simply move on to another post where your kind of message is more suitable.

Clare

Sorry you feel that way, Clare, but to your post I can reply, "Been there, done that." I HAVE been a victim of depression, very recently in fact, and positive self-talk DOES help, no matter what your state of mind. Everyone CAN control what they say to themselves to a certain extent. I've been depressed to the point of being two seconds away from suicide (which is something I've never felt the need to share until now), so don't lecture ME about depression! What, may I ask is YOUR personal experience with depression?

There are many things can to do to cope with depression:

1) Get support from friends and family
2) Get professional help
3) Take advantage of medication, if that will help
4) Do what you can for yourself - control what you CAN control

When I post, it's usually when I have had the same experience as the poster, and I pass along what helped me.

But, since you feel that I am am not welcome because I have nothing worthwhile to contribute to this discussion except insensitivity, I'll politely bow out.

Skerred to death of them, here!

But I will modify as always.

I don't do things that tweak my knees or hurt in any way. My goal is to still be moving fluidly in my eighties, not limping. And 40-45 minutes is my max, period.

Even though I feel like a weenie compared to the Cathe crowd, when I spy on the classes at the local gym, I'm horrified at their bad form and teeny weights! So even those of us modifying with Cathe, are probably using more weight and better form than the average bear.

Yay for Cathe.

:7

edited to add: I'm not saying Cathe's moves cause limping; doing stuff that doesn't work for one's own unique body does. ;-)

To anyone afraid of Cathe's new series:
PLEASE GIVE YOURSELF PERMISSION TO MODIFY!
YOU are your own best "personal trainer."
There is no shame in stepping from the step to the floor rather than jumping (which is what I'm going to do). In fact, it may show a bit of wisdom on your part.
Just think, you're in a better position than those who can breeze through these workouts with no modifications and still find them a bit less intense than they'd like. They can't go 'up' from there!

Whoa girls - no fighting! Everyone is unique, and can take messages the wrong way. Whatever. I'm one to stick my foot in my mouth.
Anyway, I just wanted to thank honeybunch for sharing her positive input, along with her age, to further inspire me!! I'm 44 and have been working out for most my adult life. I thought I loved exercise until I found Cathe and you wild and crazy exercisers! I sometimes wonder how I'm going to keep up with my fitness level when I get older and I figured I would do just fine, ...but I'm glad to hear someone actually say, Hey, I'm doing it! Take no prisoners!

And like someone here keeps mentioning, feel free to modify, which I do if needed. I figure as long as my little heart is racing, I'm doing fine. Don't have to do a million plyo jacks if my legs are saying, yeah, right!?

Fearing the videos -- it's a GOOD fear and you know it! LOL - I always like watching the video clips, and say it looks so cool, but I probably have to modify TOO much, then I get that positive attitude that I know and love so well, and say, bring it on damn it!

One last thing, since I was craving a new workout series (I love variety) and the order hasn't shipped yet, I've made myself go back and do some workouts that have been getting dusty on the shelf. Guess what - it's all new again! I must have 30+ exercise videos now of Cathes, plus some others. And,girls, I've sold a few on e-bay because I felt they were too hard, and now I wish I would have just kept them, so don't be too quick to sell them. You might regret it.

Thanks for listening! Cheryl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.