I am afraid I won't be able to do the new workouts

Amy Steppe

Cathlete
I consider myself pretty fit (although I've taken my step down to 6 inches except for Low Max).

But I am terrified of this new series.

It sounds like it requires a lot of balance and my meds cause dizziness.

Also, I just don't think I am fit enough for this series.

I am afraid these routines are going to be too complicated for me.

I suppose I'm a purist. I really don't like the stability ball for much except stretching, abs, and woodchops.

And I sure can't get all the way down on tricep pushups.

I have tried and tried, but I just am not strong enough.

Is anyone else afraid they won't be able to do the new videos?

Well, I think that's kind of the whole idea--to give us a challenge. I know I've come a long way since I started doing Cathe's workouts. I feel like an accomplished athlete every time I finish doing Imax 3 because when I first got it I could only get through the warm up:) (It was my first Cathe DVD! I had NO idea!) The new workouts do sound intimidating but I'm up for it. I can't wait to get them! I know I'll have to modify some stuff (I can't do very many regular push ups let alone attempt these bomb diver things) but I will TRY to do all of them as is and I'll just work up to it.

Ashley

But there comes a point that I am afraid of getting injured.

That is why I sold IMAX3. It had too much impact -- especially interval 7. Every time I did it I felt as if I was going to get hurt.

I love Imax and Imax 2 though.

I am all for a challenge, but not at the expense of getting hurt.

I am VERY intimidated by this new series.....but since I can't even view the clips (stupid dial up), I have no idea of what they entail.

I'd rather have a solid step workout (like Rhythmic Step or Step Blast or any of Cathe's older step workouts) and a circuit series rather than some exotic new moves using equipment different ways.

I am not a fan of the stability ball except for stretching and abs.

I really don't like bicep curls with one knee on the ball. My balance just is not that great.

I do like resistance bands, however.

>But there comes a point that I am afraid of getting injured.
>
>That is why I sold IMAX3. It had too much impact --
>especially interval 7. Every time I did it I felt as if I was
>going to get hurt.
>
>I love Imax and Imax 2 though.

Amy: before I saw more info on Drill Max, I was sure it would be one I'd sell as soon as I previewed it (as I did with IMAX3, which I also found to be 'over-the-top' in terms of impact), but it looks much more doable than I was dreading. I actually think it may end up being my favorite of the bunch.

I think you'll be able to modify.

Though, you know, using a stability ball can help improve balance! If you start with the ball pushed up against something (like an immovable sofa or the corner of the room) so it is more stable, you can gradually move to a more unstable use of it that will work your stabilizing muscles. IMO, a stability ball is a must-have for any home gym.

Yes. I am also intimidated--more so after watching the video clip. I am wondering which ones will end up on Ebay. I do plan to go straight to the premixes when I preview though.

And, if none of that works... well, there is no rule that everyone must have and love every workout that Cathe puts out! If you don't like them, or can't do them, then just stick to what you DO like, and what you CAN do! If straight up step is your thing, then.... why do you care about a killer circuit workout? Just say no! :)

m.

I have purchased every series Cathe has ever done.

The only ones that I have ever sold are IMAX 3, Gym Styles, and Hard Core Extreme.

Hardcore Extreme is too jumpy and requires too much space.

I was only voicing my desire for more videos like Cathe used to do versus videos that are made to kill me.

I have no desire to push myself to "prove something"

I prefer safe, efficient workouts to killer workouts.

My balance is terrible due to my meds. At times I get dizzy just doing a basic step.

I had no idea until the details of these workouts began floating in that they would be so equipment intensive

It has been over one year since I preordered, but had I knon how the workouts would evolve, I don't think I would have ordered the series.

I am willing to give them a chance, but think they will end up being sold.

I am not going to risk injury for any workout.

I consider myself physically fit, but my current fitness level suits me just fine.

I am actually dreading trying these workouts.

I hope I can say I love them in future forums.

I don't like Body Max 1 at all. The music is terrible and it is boring.

You may still be able to cancel your order. If you're that unsure, just cancel them until you can decide. I, too, think they look very challenging - I'm quite certain I won't be able to complete them when I first receive them. But, I modify when/where I need to and build my way up. I actually think, of all videos on the market, Cathe is one of the tops as far as "injury awareness." She is very good about cueing for that. It's also a matter of knowing yourself and your abilities. For example, my knees can not take a lot of impact - so any of the Imaxes are not even an option for me (LoxMax is even pushing it for me). So I don't do them. Not every workout will be perfect for everyone. I am looking forward to this series, nevertheless.

I'm scared to death of them too but I can't wait to try them! I'll probably end up doing the premixes first before attempting to do the entire workouts. Also, since it sounds like they are all pretty lengthy and I am trying to cut my workout time so I can get to be before 11:00, I will probably end up doing shorter versions most of the time anyway. I am also probably not fit enough for this series but I am still excited and can't wait for them. I have IMAX3 and Hardcore Extreme which I have viewed but haven't done yet. they totally scare me to death. I also have IMAX2 which I have only done part of so far because the steps are complicated but I figure eventually I will get it. Good luck and don't worry yourself so much! :) :) :)

I am also nervous about the new workouts. But the sound and look like so much fun. I ordered all but drill max, that scared me the most. ;) Now I just watched the clip and I wish I did order it and in given time I will. I also am not as fit as Cathe and her crew but I do what I can, and have a blast. That is the beauty of Cathe it is easy to modify and sub moves for different ones. I love I2 and I3. Especially the cardio in I3, think it's fun.

Do what you can do, and do what you enjoy!!! Break up the new workouts into sections to make them easier. Maybe tack on 10 mins to your workouts that you enjoy to spice them up. This could help make them less scary. :)

Jenn

I discovered Cathe 2+ years ago on FitTV when I tried to do Step Blast. I was out of breath before the warmup was even over. It took me maybe 4-6 months, but I still remember the first time I made it all the way through that workout. I thought I'd achieved such an accomplishment! Now, I can do Step Blast all the way through every time I do it - no problem-o.

Imax2 - same thing. I remember being so excited when I made it through the first three intervals without having to stop and rest! Now, that's not a problem.

GS: Legs - same thing. I have just finally reached a point where I can do almost all of the standing leg work without taking a break (okay, so I took about 6 months off from weight training a while back and I'm just getting back ito it. Still, I just did the slow motion lunges for the first time two weeks ago).

So, while this new series looks a bit scary, I'm ready for the challenge and know that even if I have to modify certain moves (or rest during them because I'm just not ready to try them, yet), I will eventually be able to do them. I guess you could say I'm scared, but excited! :7

Amy,

Give them a chance. Also, you can modify the moves. There's no reason why you have to use a stability ball on some of the moves. I never use it for the preacher bench move as I have a problem controlling the barbell. You can always do the exercise with a light handweight if the ball is used for resistance, or just ignore it if it's for balance.

In time, you'll feel more comfortable using the ball. You can always place the ball in a riser to prevent it from moving (for example, while doing floor work).

Also remember that there are a ton of premixes available to you. Perhaps some of these will help ease you into these workouts.

Don't give up!
Lorrayne

Amy,

Give them a chance. Also, you can modify the moves. There's no reason why you have to use a stability ball on some of the moves. I never use it for the preacher bench move as I have a problem controlling the barbell. You can always do the exercise with a light handweight if the ball is used for resistance, or just ignore it if it's for balance.

In time, you'll feel more comfortable using the ball. You can always place the ball in a riser to prevent it from moving (for example, while doing floor work).

Also remember that there are a ton of premixes available to you. Perhaps some of these will help ease you into these workouts.

Don't give up!
Lorrayne

Hi Amy,

If you think you can't do it, then you won't. Keep an open mind and you'll be doing them sooner than you think.

Good Luck, I'm cheering for you.

Janie

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return"
Nature Boy by eden ahbez 1908-1995

Hi Amy,

If you think you can't do it, then you won't. Keep an open mind and you'll be doing them sooner than you think.

Good Luck, I'm cheering for you.

Janie

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return"
Nature Boy by eden ahbez 1908-1995

Don't talk yourself out of these workouts before you try them. Keep an open mind. There have been many videos I tried once and hated, then later I tried them again and loved. If you go in with a preconceived notion that you will hate them, then you will most likely hate them.

I don't believe that Cathe puts out unsafe workouts. She, as well as the others who make exercise videos, point out that it's okay to modify. There's certainly no shame in modifying. However, I do believe that Cathe provides a challenging workout and not everyone is up for her type of challenge. For me, if it were easy it wouldn't be half as fun. I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment when I get done a particularly hard workout. Hey, I even like DOMS. But as they say, to each his own. You need to decide what's best for you and you don't have to feel like you are wrong for not wanting these workouts.

Don't talk yourself out of these workouts before you try them. Keep an open mind. There have been many videos I tried once and hated, then later I tried them again and loved. If you go in with a preconceived notion that you will hate them, then you will most likely hate them.

I don't believe that Cathe puts out unsafe workouts. She, as well as the others who make exercise videos, point out that it's okay to modify. There's certainly no shame in modifying. However, I do believe that Cathe provides a challenging workout and not everyone is up for her type of challenge. For me, if it were easy it wouldn't be half as fun. I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment when I get done a particularly hard workout. Hey, I even like DOMS. But as they say, to each his own. You need to decide what's best for you and you don't have to feel like you are wrong for not wanting these workouts.

I will be darned if I will cancel an order when I've waited over one year to obtain the workouts.

It would be stupid to cancel -- if they are not for me, I'll sell them!

Lorrayne, thanks for the tip about using a riser for the stablility ball. I never thought about that.

I think I've been portraying myself as far less fit than I really am.

And Cathe is awesome about stressing proper form.

And then there are all the premixes.

I've been physically active all my life (except during pregnancy when I was told not to work out due to problems).

So by the age of 52, my body is beginning to feel the years of use.

Still, I feel and look better than most 52 year old women. When I go out to stores, people call me "tiny" -- I look at myself and see a lard butt!

Oh, I'm rambling.

Anyway, you all are right -- give them a chance.

BUT I WILL NOT CANCEL MY ORDER -- I'VE WAITED TOO LONG TO DO THAT

;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.