How Is Everybody Doing?

First of all, I'm not sure that my posts are "taking." I got some error messages on another post just now.

Anyway, I have had a delayed reaction....it's was not real to me, primarily because it's exactly what you'd see in a movie! We pay money to see that kind of stuff on a movie screen, and I know I'm numb to emotions because of that, even tho' I don't seek it out. I've been around so many men who love to watch that stuff, that it's always around even if I don't put the TV channel there myself.

I had some emotional reactions when some songs were played on the radio like Lee Greenwood's "I'm Proud to be an American," and the Neal Diamond song, "They're Comin' to America." Music always gives me a channel, and I'm sure in church on Sunday with all the music, I'll finally get my big emotional release. We always close with "Let There Be Peace on Earth" anyway, and I know it will have special meaning Sunday.

Then yesterday I was walking around in a daze trying to go about my normal activities and not feel guilty! It's hard to act normal with all the suffering.....those poor families who are consumed with grief!

I DO have one friend who lives in NYC who is safe...he lives 5 miles from where the towers were. I'm glad to be in a small town right now!

Please be strong, all of you who are waiting for word; are the relatives of police or firefighters; and are the friend or relative of someone in the armed forces, or in the armed forces yourself. We are all praying for you!

Cathe,
I am so glad that your friend is safe. I am hearing similar stories of how people did something perhaps different from their daily routine, like sleeping 15 mins. later than normal, and that ended up saving their lives. Truly remarkable.
My brother -in- law is at the pentagon in the recovery effort. I cannot imagine what that is like.
I am proud of the way our country is pulling together and especially proud of the many heroes that are emerging as the rescue efforts continue and the entire chain of events is pieced back together.
Cathe, you and your site have been a beacon of light to many of us who are your friends in fitness. I wanted to thank you for allowing us to discuss our feelings, etc. about this horrible, horrible event in American history.
Thanks for being you!! :)
Trevor

Here in Arizona, things seem to be the same as they were before. It looks no different. Although the sun is not shining here today, which doesn't happen very often and feels right. I think we can all feel that the world is a far different place from the one we lived in on Monday.

I am having a hard time getting on with my life, maing it through a day as if it were an ordinary day. My thoughts are never far from the people who died, so many people. It's so hard for the brain to take it in, but the survivors standing holding pictures, with only hope to sustain them, that's all too real and so incredibly gut-wrenchingly painful. With each one lost, there are so many hearts broken and lives shattered. I just can't bear it!

I used to avoid the news for the most part, just because there is so much violence. I know that and I feel it's best for me to not partake, but this has been different. I feel I must watch and weep and pray because we are all a part of each other and this. We have been vilolated by the hatred, the violence.

I know we will heal as a nation, but our scars will run deep and something has changed forever. Our innocence lost. I am not afraid in the sense that I won't fly, nor do I fear another sudden attack although we will never be as certain as once we were.

I am in deep mourning. I willingly relinquish anything I am called upon by my country to let go in order that we might never see a horror like this again. But I mourn the loss of our openness, our innocence, our fearlessness....

You, the people on this website, are a source of strength and hope and joy. I love you for that! Please take care of yourselves and each other! I am going to church to day, not my usual church, a different one, to pray. It's a National day of mourning and remembrance. Terrorism thrives on the pain and fear and sorrow of it's victims. Let us stand toghether as brothers and sisters, Americans, be we Jew, Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist....the list goes on in a free country!

God Bless each of you!

Bobbi

My husband's company was on floors 92-105 of Tower 2 of the Trade Center. He did not go into work Tuesday morning, but hundreds of his friends and co-workers did go in. One of our very best friends is still missing, along with numerous others. I feel completely numb and in shock. It feels as if some of the oxygen in the air is missing. I am so thankful that my husband is alive, but feel so empty inside because of the loss of all the wonderful people, all of whom were just doing their work at their desk, expecting to return home that night.

I suppose that with time, life will take on its regular rhythm. I just feel like life will never be the same.

Dear Cathe,

You are always extrmemly considerate and sensitive of your online community and your concern is particularly appreciated at this time.

I am a native New Yorker, born and bred in Manhattan. The events of this week have forever changed all of us, both here in New York City and around the world. It is at trying times like this that we can take the opportunity to refocus our lives and appreciate what is truly important and what is not.

It is an enormous relief that your friend Adam is safe. I also share the great fortune that all my family and those close to me are well: my cousin's husband works at the Pentagon and he escaped unharmed. My father belonged to the Windows on the World Club on the 107th floor, and had this been another day, he might very well have been at breakfast with colleagues.

How can anyone wrap their minds around such tragedy---it is unfathomable, and yet, we will all persevere and thrive once again.

Best to you and all here,

Kim

Abbe,

I am so glad that your dh is well and hope that your worst fears are not realized. I have been finding that words are inadequate during this time of crisis and therefore have been silent on these threads. I cannot stay mute any longer, I feel your pain through your words and I am sending you a hug. I wish I could do more. I agree Abbe, life will never be the same. Keep well.

Hedy

Ditto!

Abbe! I am so sorry. Know that we are here and are thinking and praying for you. I'm so glad your husband is safe and sound and he's lucky to have you too! Keep in touch!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

So Glad about Adam!

Cathe~I have posted a couple of times but I don't see my post. I think they may have been deleted when there was a problem with the site. Anyways, again, I am so glad that Adam is okay! I do remember posts from him from time to time awhile back. What a relief it must have been to you. Thank you for caring and thinking of us at this time. It means so much! It has helped to come here and read and "be" with my friends. THANX!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

It can't be measured.

My heartfelt condolences to anyone affected by this tragedy. It is absolutely true that we've lost our innocence. We will never again be as certain as we were on Monday and the young people will have to grow up quickly.

My DH and I went to the funeral of a firefighter on Saturday. He was killed in an unrelated incident, but when I saw his young wife and two very young children (a toddler and a baby)the reality of losses individual families are facing hit me. It was no longer abstract.

I kept thinking of all of the families that will have to endure this same ordeal, all the children who will grow up without their parents, all the parents who will never see their children grow up, all the couples who will not grow old together. There are no words to describe this. We simply must unite to defeat this evil that has infected the world.

Jane Powell

Greetings

I arrived home safe and sound late Friday. Airport security still isn't as rigorous as other parts of the globe, but definitely more than usual. Surprisingly, the plane wasn't full. Thanks for all the mutual support of this group - it was kind of nice to be able to log on far from home and recognize various names - kind of comforting really. Thanks to Cathe and her group as always, for her kind and sincere words and for supporting such a healthy environment that goes way beyond personal fitness.

Cheers,
Colia

Glad you're home and safe

Colia,

I'm glad that you made it home safely. It's interesting to read that airport security wasn't too tight. My Dad flew home to Baltimore from NM on Friday. He said that security spent 10 minutes going through his carry ons. Also, two people were taken off his flight by FBI agents. How scary! This was the first flight of the day for the flight crew and they were walking on pins and needles. My Dad said that he received the best service he's ever had on this flight. The Captain offered a small prayer for all the victims of Tuesday's terrible tragedy at the end of the flight.

My heart also goes out to all of the friends and family who lost loved ones. My company only lost one person who was on the flight out of Boston. We obviously were one of the lucky ones. But, I think one life lost is too many.

Lorrayne

I went to a prayer service on my lunch hour on Friday and realized how absolutely heartbroken I am over this. I just could not stop crying. Then I watched the replay of the National Prayer Service Friday night and felt so united with the rest of the country. I pray that this country has a spiritual renewal and that this nation comes out stronger when this is all over. We must show the rest of the world what we're made of and how we can overcome this adversity.

God Bless America

Angela

Hi Abbe! I'm so happy to hear that your husband did not go to work on Tuesday however, very sorry to hear of your best friend. I will keep your friend, as well as all the others still missing in my prayers. Please take care!

Hi everyone... I found out this weekend that our best friend lost his father on the plane over the Pentagon. We still can't believe it. My husband and I have known this family for 15 years. I'm posting this because I haven't been able to workout since the tragedy happened. My mother's family lives in NYC and my cousin was injured in the towers (but luckily survived). I've been so sad as everyone else has. I've had no energy or even the will to workout, and I've been an avid exerciser & runner for most of my life. But this morning when I woke up, my husband reminded me how fortunate we are to be alive and healthy and in love and together... that so many people are in pain and missing their loved ones. I realized how right he is, so I got up and did Power Circuit and it felt really good. I think I'll go for a run tonight after work, and remember my friend's father and remind myself how good it is to be alive.

Thanks for listening,
marnie

Marnie, I understand how you are feeling. The pain we feel for all of those who experienced the horror and for their families is enormous, and it is even greater when you or someone you know is personally affected. I think that one of the hardest things we are all grappling with is being able to still cherish and celebrate every moment of our own existence while in our minds is the fact that so many others no longer can. It is good that you are taking positive steps and doing your exercise. I would like to do that myself, but I am sick and have no physical energy right now. I have to pull myself together, though, because there are memorial services being given for several of the people we know in the coming days, which I very much want to attend. As soon as I am feeling better, I will start back to my exercising, and I am really looking forward to getting into a slow & heavy rotation.
Thank you to everyone for your support.
Thank you, Cathe, for your sweetness and thoughtfulness, and for this thread and for the kind and supportive atmosphere of your website.

Hello from New Zealand,

Cathe, I am so pleased that you and your staff are all safe and well.

My heartfelt prayers go out to you all during this dreadful time. It is not only a time of grieving for America, but the whole world. We have been deeply touched by the tragedy here in NZ and are at a complete loss to find the right words to express our sorrows.

Although we only lost one NZ'er in the tradedy, that is still one person too many and we have to pray that all of the evil persons that perpetrated this crime will be held accountable for their actions.

God Bless,
Kirsty

Wow Cath...

I haven't been here in about a week and my heart sank as I read this post. Very happy to hear Adam is safe. My heart goes out to him and all those who have been dealing with the loss and distruction so personally.

nancy c

So glad Adam is safe

We've lost so many people and yet, I keep hearing about all the people who didn't go in to work that day or were coming in late. It's a blessing that those people, like Abbe's husband, were spared. And a terrible pain that others, like her husband's best friend, was not.

I work in DC, next to the Capitol and I feel I owe my life to the people on flight 93 who sent that plane into the ground in Pennsylvania. Because of them, I got to go home on Tuesday and bake my kids brownies. I drove by the Pentagon the next morning and it was still burning. I could see the water cannons and the firefighters and rescue workers all doing their jobs. My heart breaks for the families and friends of those who died or remain missing. Like everyone else, I pray for them during the day and dream about them at night.

I consider each day to be a gift. And I am thankful to be alive and strong and healthy enough that, when I was desperately trying to get out of Washington on Tuesday morning, I knew I could walk or even run the whole 22 miles to my house, if need be. I'm glad I lift weights, so that I can help move rubble if I have to. And I'm just scared enough to be doing those activities with renewed purpose. Although that hasn't made the lunges in Power Hour any easier.

By the way, my husband said my brownies were terrible. I guess it will take more than a terrorist attack to make me a good cook. Norm pointed out that the brownies could become a valuable secret weapon in the war against terrorism.

RE: So glad Adam is safe

Daphne, that's the spirit. You summed up the way so many of us are feeling so well. I drive down my street and I see so many flags. They look so beautiful and yet why they fly is so sad it's beyond my ability to make sense of it. I'll never look at that flag the same way, and yet, it is ultimately hopeful. I cling to that. That amidst the horror, there is hope, from hatred, love is seen. I will love my neighbor as myself. I will not miss an opportunity to be kind and I will do anything I can to make the world a better place.

God bless you and everyone!

BOBBI

p.s. you get "brownie points" for even trying to make them yourself!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.