Hate to complain but....

elliemom2

Cathlete
I just did 4DS LIS for 1st time. trying to get ready for the road trip in few weeks. I was very disappointed. Way too many turns and overs and 6 foot something or other. I felt like I got no workout out all, just a complicated dance class. I'm very coordinated and have no problem with other dvd's, even the really dancy ones. But this one never even got my heart rate up. Anyone else feel this way?
ellie:-(

I actually haven't even tried LIS! After previewing it (more than one) and doing HIS, I decided I wasn't up for the learning curve (and I wasn't to keen on some of those turns and walking over the top of the step with a leg sweep---the look like cool moves, but they also look kind of torquey). I'm not fond of dancy cardio, exactly for the reason you mentioned: it feels like less of a workout (at least for the body), and the more complex moves are at the expense of some athletic intensity.

With 4DS, I'll stick with the weight work and the kickboxing and drill cardio workouts.

Give it another shot! When I first did this one, I felt SOOO awkward. My husband sat on the couch and laughed the whole time--yeah, I know! What a jerk! x( But I didn't give up, and now I LOVE it. I have almost all of the steps down, and I really enjoy doing it. It even gave me the courage to try HIS, which I now love as well. Watch it a couple of times through first, and modify what you need to. After a few times, it'll click! Good luck! :)

I actually love LIS. I do the LIS/HIS premix ("Double Cardio") at least once a week. I had trouble with a few of the moves at first, but I liked the music so much I was motivated to keep at it and now it's one of my faves. If I'm tired I do it as-is, if not, I add 'power' to the moves whenever possible. Love the warm up on this one. Sorry you didn't enjoy it. I don't like complex choreography, but this one just clicked with me. HIS was a bit tougher for me to learn, but I love that one as well and once I learned the two, as I said, the Double Cardio premix is just so much fun. In my opinion the music in 4DS is Cathe's best in years.

I totally agree with you. Also agree with what kathryn said.

When I do 4DS, I don't do LIS or HIS. Too frustrating. What I do is use my treadmill or rebounder while LIS or HIS is playing. Then do the weight work (or do the weights first then cardio).

I should add that I'm not that fond of step anyway and therefore only have a high step, so I end up having to modify too much when doing a step workout (which adds to my frustration). I do like Low Max though (except for the 3rd step routine!) because it's more athletic. Oh, I just thought of something. It might be fun to sub the blasts portion of Low Max for LIS or HIS. The blasts get my heart rate up!

However, if you're goal is to prepare for the road trip, then maybe just focus on getting the steps down, rewinding and replaying as necessary. But don't count on this as your workout. Do your "real" workout another time. Just a thought...

Melissa

Hey Ellie!

LIS is hard to get--I've done it multiple times and from the word go, that side sweep off the step totally tripped me up. But I stuck with it and yes, the light bulb WILL go off! :) Now, do I have the side sweep, pivot, pump repeater down from the last combo? BIG NO. But am I getting closer each time I do it? BIG YES!

What I would do if I were you is to sub another cardio for LIS, then at the end--before you cool down--do a section of LIS. Maybe if you take it one section at a time you won't get frustrated.

Now, for HIS--I have not attempted that one yet. I think that one might be beyond my skill set, so to speak. But perhaps I should give a segment a try just to make sure.

But I do really love this series--my favorite Cathe so far! Love the weight work, love the core work, love love love Bootcamp cardio...it's a winner even if I never get HIS. :)

WOW! I love the fresh, new choreography in LIS and HIS. I thought there was a very small learning curve. I think it is worth learning and I do them on an 8 in. step to up the cardio factor. I hope Cathe puts out a full length step DVD along the lines of LIS/HIS. It was GREAT to see the new moves and to see Cathe come up with some not so basic choreography.
Angela:)

I like both of the step workouts now, but have to agree that it was hard at first. I don't regret sticking with them until I learned them.

Thank you everyone for your input. I watched LIS 3 more times and tomorrow I plan on trying HIS. I am looking forward to it. I can't wait for the road trip. Hopefully i won't embarrass myself too much
ellie:) :)

>Thank you everyone for your input. I watched LIS 3 more times
>and tomorrow I plan on trying HIS. I am looking forward to it.
>I can't wait for the road trip. Hopefully i won't embarrass
>myself too much
>ellie:) :)

You'll be just fine!
Angela:)

Ellie, do you have Cathe's other step routines? LIS/HIS are more dancy & comples than her others, & doing her other stuff might help you build up to it. Workouts like Power Max & Rhythmic Step are pretty athletic, but also fairly complex, maybe slightly less so than LIS/HIS.

Also LIS/HIS are pretty high cal burners, def. worth learning for your routine

And as Cathe says, once you learn it, it's so much fun! I'm choreographically challenged myself & it always takes me a few previews, & then a few run throughs, before I get the steps down, & I did my first Cathe step workout in 1997!

LauraMax
Actually I have all of her step routines and love them!! PowerMax, Step works, rythmic step, step blast etc. I love the choreography and am always challenged. I just haven't gotten it yet with LIS. I am spending so much time trying not to fall off the step with the sweep around and crazy over the step move, that I feel like I'm not getting any cardio. I will keep trying. Maybe once I get it, I'll GET IT!!! Thanks
ellie:) :) :)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my 4 day split! Trust me, give it another go, once you get it you'll be jumping higher, holding in your core more, and you'll really get a workout. I practiced the steps without a step first it helped me from falling flat on my face or breaking something. :)

Keep with it. Its so much fun once you learn it. Take a section (or combo) at a time. I thought I'd never get it. Actually HIS is my most favorite (shuffle pivot, step hitch kick, then stomp dont rush that...as Cathe says) I love that one.

Carmen

I love 4DS LIS, Kickbox, and Bootcamp. And what I've gotten down of HIS I like...but the step ones definitely took a few times.

Quite honestly, there have been quite a few Cathes that I was very frustrated with the first time I did them, and didn't think I'd ever figure them out, much less enjoy them. But now I love them!

Hang in there; I know you'll get it and start enjoying 4DS. (and when you get HIS, will you teach it to me?? ;-) Although Shelley says she's going to teach it to me at the July RT!!!)

Hi Ellie,

I have to somewhat agree with you. I usually love Cathe's aerobic workouts, but HIS was way too frustrating for me. There were just way too many moves in each segment. As for LIS...I love it! That one is not complicated at all and I use two risers vice one so I get a really good workout on that. I usually use LIS then go to they Gym Style series right after.

I'm hoping that Cathe will come out with more step aerobics/circuits in the future.

Laura

Now, LIS I love, but I haven't even tried HIS and don't know if I ever will. HIS is really complicated. So many of the moves are done with your back to the tv, ugh. Trying it without the step is probably a very good idea for the few times, so I second that recommendation.;)

Sandra

I'm a stepper and I enjoyed LIS, but no matter how many times I do HIS I can't get thelast combo. I thought it has more to do with the cueing than the workout itself. I really enjoy 4DS. Have you tried the kickboxing yet? I also really enjoy the weight work from this one!
Ellen

>Keep with it. Its so much fun once you learn it. Take a
>section (or combo) at a time. I thought I'd never get it.
>Actually HIS is my most favorite (shuffle pivot, step hitch
>kick, then stomp dont rush that...as Cathe says) I love that
>one.
>
>Carmen

Okay, that's one combo I may NEVER get--but I try every time. :) Just reading it here in your post gives me that feeling of dread I always get when I know it's coming! LOL

I love LIS - and I'm not much of a step workout person.

I agree with the other comments here - take it one combo at a time.

It took a while to learn (I previewed it several times) but once you know it, you can add to the intensity. The cross overs that are in the second combo I initially subbed with a side leg lift and kept it to the back side of the step until I realized they were moving towards the ends of the step before executing the moves, which is why they weren't tripping on the step. The six count crosswalk isn't so bad once you get it figured out. Again, I'm not a choreo queen at all. Kickbox is my thing (and I enjoy 4DS Kickbox - did it this morning, in fact).

As a side note, I have a history of knee issues but generally speaking I haven't had any real flare ups with this workout. I have not, however, attempted HIS. I've left that one alone so far...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.