Hardcore check in for January 2017

Today I did Shoulders from Giant Sets and Ramped Up Upper Body. Had a pretty good workout, these are tough routines and I really felt the burn.

Shoulders
From Ramped Up:
Overhead Press:
15's - 12 reps
Front Raise: 15# - 12 reps
Lateral Raise: 5's - 8 singles/4 partials/8 singles
Overhead Press: 15's - 12 reps
Front Raise: 15# - 12 reps
Lateral Raise: 5's - 8 singles/3 partials/4 singles
Lateral Band Circles: 32 reps each front and back
Rear Band Delt Kickbacks: 32 reps

From Giant Sets:
Overhead Press:
12's - 16 reps
Upright Rows: 15's - 16 reps
Rear Delt Flys: 12's - 16 reps
Incline Front Raise/Arch: 8's - 6 reps each
Seated Lateral Raise: 5's - 2 singles/2-2 ct. 2 times each side 2x's

Tough stuff. Then I actually had time to do a Cardio Coach so I did CC #1. Did really well with this, too.

CC workout was 36 minutes, burned 255 calories, ran 2.38 miles, went 4931 steps. Ave. HR was 122, Max was 147. See how my max is now going down? Last week I was getting readings over 160, WTH??

No time for personals, I'm sorry. Hope you all have great workouts. I'll try to come back later.

Today I did an uphill walk on the treadmill, 45 minutes, 2.5 miles, 7.0 incline and max heartrate was 170. Then I did Pyramid Upper Body Biceps only. I love that bicep workout, it is short and to the point!

Hammer Curl to Traditional Curl-
10# x 12
12# x 10
15# x 8
12# x 10
10# x 12
I wish I had 17# DBs because I could have gone heavier!

Workout was 58 minutes and I burned 545 calories!

PS. I got on the scale this morning and I am down 5 pounds since August! I bet I would have been down more if the holiday food and snacks hadn't been involved! Oh well, Life happens!

Diane Sue, I love selling Medicare, I hope to make a career out of it someday soon. Right now it is the wrong time unless I can find someone to work for who picks up most of the costs for marketing ect. I would get paid less but it would be less stressful!

Debbie, great shoulder workout, I will do that one next time I do shoulders!

Roselyn, I hope your workouts are going well!

Have a nice day, running late to take my son to the DR.

Today I checked over Strong and Sweaty Boot camp no upper premix. I modified a lot and since I was not doing the weights and modifying cardio to keep it all low impact, I did not take all of the rests. I also checked out the first premix that all 6 rounds with the abs. It skips the first cardio which is plunge lunges (I think that is what it is called) I did not do that one, just checked it out since I heard discussion about the first round being missing. It still has the weight segments from the first round. I added a bit more step and off the step reverse lunge to knee ups so the workout was 45 minutes for me, 237 calories. I then did Great Glutes disc, bonus chair, and stretch, 24 minutes, 45 calories. I finished with Barre Amped Lower Body Stretch, changing up whatever kept me from staying more upright. For the most part this was doable as is, 20 minutes, 27 calories. Total time, 89 minutes, 309 calories.

Debbie, great job on cardio coach and the shoulders work. I like how you are putting the two workouts together.

Jolie, I hope that you can get to do the type of work that you want to do. Marketing would be costly. That biceps workout always has my biceps screaming on the last couple of sets. It is a good one. How is your neck and shoulders? Did the chiropractor help? My neck is so much better with the break. I have discovered sleeping on my back really helps with the pain I get from sleeping. I am supposed to sleep on my back post surgery. Also, I have learned that hanging in that position looking at my devices and sitting at the computer for very long will set off the neck pain. I have to make myself leave it every once in awhile and work out the knots around the area so I don't end up with a lot of pain. I love my therapy balls for that . I got brave and have stood on the scale a couple of times over the last week. I am down a couple of pounds from where I was pre-surgery. I was surprised after all of the holiday food and other people preparing and buying me food. I don't really need to lose at this point. I just need to adjust some of my macros. Right now I am working between My Fitness Pal and My Net Diary. My net diary has a lot more to it but it also requires me to enter stuff that I already have entered into MMP. At one time I had paid for the pro version on my now dead computer and so am just using the free version. You can even take pictures of the foods and scan the foods barcodes if you want to put it into the database. It does still have the workouts and stuff I entered in 2012.

Roselyn, I have enjoyed what I am able to do of the workouts. Nice work.

I don't know why it is, but the two food logs that I use always say I am under budget with calories in and out but Fit Bit tells me I am over budget all of the time. But, I have lost weight. It does not make sense. I adjust the calories on Fit Bit when I know it is completely wrong. Like today doing Great Glutes for 24 minutes Fit Bit tried to give me 10 calories o_O Now that is just not right. Just resting for that amount of time burns more than 10 calories and I was above my resting heart rate.

Today I did Slide and Glide Premix express cardio and stretch, 32 minutes, 190 calories. I did not do the plank jacks and burpees. Instead I just did more standing movements. I followed this with Yoga Tune Up strong knees Knee Hab segment, 20 minutes, 48 calories. Total time was 52 minutes, 238 calories.
When I got up this morning it was 3 degrees out. So cold!

Diane Sue, it is 80 degrees here today!

Yesterday I did not workout, I had to get my youngest son to a friends house for a 3 day trip to Big Bear to go snowboarding.

Today I walked on the treadmill for 1 hour, 7.5 incline, 3.4 speed, 3.3 miles and burned 584 calories. Then I did STS # 13 Triceps. I went a little lighter because my neck is still bothering me.

Lying Triceps ext.
12# DB x 25, x 20, x 12 Each set to failure

Cross Body Lying Ext.
12# x 12, x 12, x 12

1 Arm Kickbacks
10# x 12, x 12, x 12

The entire workout was 1 hour 15 minutes and I burned 673 calories.

Diane Sue, nice lower body workout. I found a place that fixes gym equipment so I am going to see if they can fix my spin bike. The resistance pad came off a while ago and I haven't been able to use it. I think it is discontinued because I cant find the brand online for replacement parts. I think if I ride my spin bike that might be good for my quads and it probably wont hurt my foot too much. I did not get the new spin dvd but that's ok, I have others. I don't usually do the dvd, I usually ride while watching tv.

Debbie and Roselyn, I hope you both had a great weekend.

Have a nice day.

Jolie, I have a Schwinn Spin Bike that I got an Amazon special sale for a great price. I like it. I do dvds because they encourage me to keep going. I find exercise equipment boring. Sometimes I put the spin dvd in the lap top and follow with volume lowed and watch something else on tv. Then sometimes I listen to podcasts. Anything to help me stick with it. I so much prefer doing something else. Spin is a great workout and so is the Tread Climber though. I like Kelly Coffey's home Gym Intervals because I can get off the equipment and do some weights in between intervals. It keeps away the monotony and I can actually push hard for those 4 to 5 minute intervals. Both of those pieces of equipment are great leg workouts. Wow, 80 degrees!! That reminds me of when my husband was staying in Hawaii for 6 months and everytime I talked to him it was 78 degrees and I was generally experiencing miserable winter weather. It will be upper 60's this week and then an ice storm.

I have meetings all day today so I wanted to get in a good treadmill workout so I can hit my 10K steps. I did Cardio Coach 5 and had a great workout. I don't do this one much because it has 3 - 4 minute hill climbs and I'm not a big fan of hill climbs, but sometimes I like doing it. So I decided to do it.

Workout was 54 minutes, ran 3.35 miles, burned 338 calories (TM said 514) and wet 7118 steps. Shouldn't be hard to hit 10K despite the meetings today. :)

Diane Sue - I have the same problem with MFP food log and calories in/out with Fitbit too. MFP will show that I am under budget and FB will show I'm over. I don't get it.

Jolie & Roselyn - Nice workouts!!!

Have great workouts today everyone!!!

Today I only did Back, Ramped Up and Giants Sets workouts. Then I did some leg extensions at the end. Total calorie burn 213.

1 arm rows-
25# x 16, x 16
1 arm back fly- 10# x 10, x 10 (Could go heavier)
Pullovers- 25# x 16, x 16 (Could go heavier was supposed to be 10 reps)
Rear Delt flies- 10# x 10, x 10, x 10, x 10

1 arm rows- 25# x 16
Pullovers- 25# x 16

Leg Extensions-
40# x 27
50# x 15, x 12, x 12, x 11, x 10 TF

Debbie, great Cardio Coach workout!

Diane Sue and Roselyn, I will be back later to read your posts!

Have a nice day.

Today I did Low Impact Step Challenge with modifiers for burpees, 52 minutes, 344 calories, heart rate 130/ 152. I then did watched some of the lower body work on SS giant sets and did some lower strength moves on my own, squats, lunges, pistols, walking lunges and plie squats. Not a lot. This was 18 minutes, 52 calories on my Fit Bit. Total time 70 minutes, 396 calories. I made a trip to Sprouts. They are having a good 25% off nutrition supplements and vitamins along with skin care etc.. I noticed they now have the Bone Broth Protein like Dr Axe sells. It was less than on Dr Axe but still up there for protein powder. Even with 25% off. I really needed some fruits and vegetables. I was running out of a lot and didn't have ingredients for recipes.

Debbie, I remember those hill climbs. I had kind of a dread for them. When I did that one I really tried to put as much effort as I could into it. I can never figure out quite how the Fit Bit figures that. It makes it's own adjustments on things. It was odd today because I forgot to take Map My Fitness off of conditioning for the workout type for the cardio. It gave me a way lower reading than the Fit Bit even though it was using the Fit Bit heart rate through blue tooth. Then it gives me way too high calorie burns for yoga so I have learned to use stretch and strength as the setting so it is more accurate. I just use what seems the most accurate as far as where my met value usually would be on Cathe and what my heart rate is telling me.

Jolie, nice work on the back and leg extensions today.

Last edited:
Today I did the upper body only premix of Giant Sets. Had a great workout, this is an intense workout. I went heavier than Cathe or same as Cathe today:

Shoulder Overhead Press: 15's - 16 reps
Upright Rows: 15's - 16 reps
Rear Delt Flys: 12's - 16 reps
Incline Front Raise/Archs: 8's - 6 reps each exercise
Seated Lateral Raise: 8's for the first set of 4 and 5's for the 2nd set of 4

One Arm Row: 30# - 16 reps
Pullovers: 30# - 16 reps
Chest Fly on the Ball: 25's - 12 reps
Incline Press on the Ball: 25's - 16 reps
Push Ups

Seated Overhead Extensions: 25# - 16 reps
Close Grip Bench Press on Ball: 12's - 16 reps (should have used 15's)
Lying Extensions on the Ball: 12's - 16 reps
Seated W-Curls: 15's - 12 reps
Incline Hammer Curls: 15's - 12 reps
Hammer Curls w/Twist: 12's - 12 reps (she does preacher curls, those hurt my elbows

Workout was 34 minutes, 84 avg. HR/151 Max, 105 calories burned.

Walked 1 mile on treadmill as well.

Have great workouts everyone!!! Be back later!!

Today I had a great workout! I started with Les Mils Combat 30, using 1 pound gloves. Then I ran on the elliptical for 15 minutes, interval mode, ran 1.5 miles and traveled 2445 steps. I finished with Ramped Up/Giant Sets Biceps. I burned a total of 621 calories and my max heart rate was 184! The kickboxing workouts always lean out my upper body due to the extreme amount of punches. I noticed that my upper body is a little fluffy right now so It is time to add in the boxing training.

Hammer Curls- 15# x 12
Sweeping Curls- 15# x 12
Isolation Curls- 12# x 12
Traditional Curls- 15# x 12
Crazy Eights- 10# x 24 two rounds
W Curls- 15# x 12
Incline Hammer Curls- 15# x 12
Preacher Curls- 12# x 13 (I need to go heavier next time)

This workout was great and I really worked up a sweat!

Debbie, great workout this morning! I will do that one as well.

Diane Sue and Roselyn, I will be back later to see your posts!

Have a spectacular day!:)

Today I did Ice Low Impact Sweat workout 1, 28 minutes, 177 calories . I followed this with some work with my yoga tune up balls using knee hab and some of the massage techniques on the shoulders and upper/mid back that took 35 minutes. I went out and finished up some errands since they are saying we will probably have the ice storm at the end of the week. I made a quick stop at Sprouts even though I went there yesterday to pick up my favorite joint formula. They are having the 25% off supplements that will end after tomorrow. I am not out yet but this stuff works well. and that is a significant savings. Here is a link at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010XPE5C/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2329824862&pf_rd_r=DSKM3290QRFQ9N9JJ8VG&pd_rd_wg=HHZsV&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=5o8J0&pf_rd_i=vibrant+health+joint+vibrance&pd_rd_r=D7JKSXK4HGZHFZTVBZH0&smid=A2G7B63FOSFZJZ&th=1

Debbie, nice work today.

Jolie, I really like doing the boxing workouts. I will be glad when I can do them again.

Last edited:
Today I did Cardio Coach 1. Didn't sleep hardly at all last night. We had such high winds here I was actually scared and I don't get scared with weather. We had 60 mph winds, lost power around 11:30 p.m. and had branches and things like that hitting out house and falling to the ground. Crazy stuff. Power came back on at 2:30 a.m. and it was freezing in our house by then. Not fun. Almost didn't workout but thought what the heck, I didn't sleep, may as well get up.

Had a good workout. Workout was 36 minutes, ran 2.38 miles, burned 240 calories (TM said 325) and went 4934 steps. Avg. HR was 115 and max was 160.

Also did the Bonus Abs from S&S. Love that workout but there are a couple exercises I don't do because they are uncomfortable for me.

Nice workouts everyone!!! Running late again. :(

Today I did Strong and Sweaty Cycle Sweat Premix 2, 5 missing. 39 minutes, 273 calories, 8.67 mles. These must have been the longer segments because the last premix I did was the shortest and it had 4 missing. I have sort of a dread of this workout. There are an awful lot of climbs in it to me and they seem to go on forever lie some sort of torture. Then my Fit Bit was giving me a way low heart rate. 91 when I was huffing and puffing and figured it hadn't got to its 15 minutes of recognizing what I am doing or something. I really do not have a clue. I used MMF, Cathe's workout manager and my Calories burned calculator and took the low end from those because I am sure Fit Bit was wrong. That being said, my resting heart rate was 59 before I started. That is not abnormal though. I then did SS PHA mish mosh lower body split original order done 3 times, 27 minutes (took me a bit to decide what I could use so a couple of minutes longer) I did not do the dead lifts. I wore 5# ankle weights while doing the other exercises and instead of deadlifts I did leg curls 12 reps on each leg standing, 164 calories. Total time 69 minutes, 437 calories

Debbie, my spin bike said 328 calories today and Fit Bit said 161. This is the reason I did some calculating. Nice work.

Today I walked on the treadmill for 1 hour, 7.5 incline, 3.2 miles and my max heart rate was 172. Then I did Pyramid Upper Body Triceps and Power Hour Triceps. I love these workouts! They exhaust the muscle and they are screaming by the end. I finally ended my workout by doing 3 sets of stiff leg deadlifts. Total workout was 1 hour 15 minutes and I burned 720 calories!

2 Arm Kickbacks- 5# x 12, 8# x 10. 10# x 8, 8# x 10, 5# x 12
Lying ext.- 8# x 12, 10# x 10, 12# x 8, 10# x 10, 8# x 12

Lying Ext- 12# DB x numerous reps and rep patterns
1 Arm kickbacks- 8# x 12
Lying Ext- 12#DB x numerous reps and rep patterns

Stiff Leg Deadlifts- 40# BB x 12, x 12, x 12

Debbie, good job getting a cardio workout in with a poor nights sleep!

Diane Sue, nice workout! How long till you can start working the upper body?

Have a nice day.

Diane Sue - a few days ago you were talking about the Fitbit Blaze bands. I found a 10 pack on Amazon for $35 and I got them. They fit perfectly and are made really well. Very cool to have different colors. You can find them here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HHLAWWA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Check them out! Also, I ordered the charger you sent me the link for. That will help a lot, I don't like to keep taking the watch out of the holder. Thanks!!

Jolie - I'm sorry to hear about your career coming to an end. I know it's tough when you can't be your own boss. My DH and I tried it with a Dollar Store and it only lasted 3 years. It was a real bummer when we closed. I hope you can find something you love to do soon!! Nice workouts!

Roselyn - Where are you?? Hope you're having some kick ass workouts!

Debbie, here is the band I have saved to my list. It has the frame with it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FRSHXWC/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2E8K5Z6UKD07N
Let me know how easy it is to take off the band and change it. I haven't tried yet. That is a great deal for all of those colors. They make it look easy to change. I like my charger a lot. I think it was a great investment.

Jolie, I don't go back in to the doctor till two weeks from today. That will be 6 weeks out. At this point I am still not to do a lot of reaching overhead, bending over (the reason for no deadlifts), when I left last they said no vacuuming but I could carefully do laundry and cook and load the dishwasher. Vacuuming entails pushing and pulling. So, I have to wait. I have read all kinds of timelines online. The sheet they sent home with me on exercise says refrain from any upper body work that requires pushing and pulling your own bodyweight for 6 to 8 weeks. This eliminates a lot of stuff. I was told to stick with lower body and light cardio like the spin bike with no gripping the handlebars or my Tread Climber. I think some of the low impact cardio I have done is okay as long as I am not jumping or punching and using dumbbells on the upper body. I will be so happy when I am back to doing pretty much everything.

Today I did PHA Upper Body premix 3x's through. Had a good workout. I wanted to do the entire thing but my knees have been bothering me again. Not sure why? Maybe too much running? Anyways, this was a good upper body workout, I enjoyed it.

Overhead Press: 15's
Upright Rows: 15's
Release Push Ups
3 sets of 12 reps each

Bicep Dumbbell Curls: 15's
Pullovers: 30#
Lying Tricep Extensions: 12's
3 sets of 12 reps each

Workout was 30 minutes, my FB said my average HR was 76 and my max was 105. Burned 64 calories.

Then I walked on my treadmill for 1.25 miles.

Why isn't Cedie in these workouts? Miss seeing her. Also, the music in this one wasn't too bad, I liked the cool down song which sounded like "Fast Car". Love that song.

Diane Sue - They are easy to change when you figure out how to do it. It has to be set just right for it to snap in. I can change the out quickly now. The one you have in your saved list is nice, might be nice to have another watch with a entire frame.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.