Got my TIMESAVER DVD

Tami - I suggest you slowly back away from the Fox News Channel. (you've mentioned Hannity as a "source"). Expand your horizons a bit. I TOTALLY agree with you on the learning English thing, but for someone who was posting in another area about big government, we're now going to tell people what they can or can not put on their cars? What next - rating of bumper-stickers? Where do you draw the line. So he has a flag painted on his window. So? How did that harm you or anyone else? How do you feel about Southerners and their Union Jacks? Do you view those as problematic or just "foreign" flags?

Maybe you should worry about who will pick our veggies for us if the people who are doing it today are not allowed in the country. We seem to be unwilling to pay fare wages to anyone for it, and the average American tends not to want to do that work.
There are two sides to every story...... well, at least two!

-Beth

How did that harm you or anyone else? How do you feel about Southerners and their Union Jacks? Do you view those as problematic or just "foreign" flags?

Now, I'm Southern, and I LOVE the Union Jack. But, most Southerners aren't into Anglophilia like I am!!! ;)

Maybe you should worry about who will pick our veggies for us if the people who are doing it today are not allowed in the country. We seem to be unwilling to pay fare wages to anyone for it, and the average American tends not to want to do that work.

-Beth

I wonder how much the vegie pickers are getting paid? I bet not a fair wage. Which is not right either.

Too bad a coupon for the DVD run of All in the Family wasn't included. ;)

ROFL!!

Is the poster serious or are you trying to start a flame war? You really can't be serious... I am not phased by someone else flying the flag of their home country. It reminds me of how wonderful this country is -- that we are a melting pot. I wave an Auburn flag every football season. Do you find this offensive? What I find offensive is your ignorance. The First Amendment that allows you to spew your racist remarks also allows people to wave flags representing other countries and *gasp* manufacture catalogs in other languages. Instead of jeering at multiculturalism in America, perhaps you should invest in a Spanish course and educate yourself a little.

-Beth

If Monsanto has thier way there may not be any vegetables to pick because nobody will be able to afford them.

They are not at all being paid a fare wage -- that's why I said we are unwilling to pay a fare wage -- do you know what would happen to the cost of produce in our country if we didn't have cheap labor?

Another thought for you..... my MIL is from Holland, so for years we drove around with a car with a Dutch flag on it. Is that a problem? Don't forget we are a melting pot -- some of us have just been here a lot longer.....

Personally, I'm much more concerned with the education in our country (or lack there of -- at all levels) and what that will do to this country in the long run, with the now flattened global space.

-Beth

I have pride that I am of German heritage. But I have more pride that I am American. I don't go around flying the German flag. If I'm going to fly a German flag I should go to Germany. I'm in America. I should fly the American Flag. Wow. Just wow. :confused:

I am German and live in Germany! Americans flyi their flag in Germany! Wow. Just wow!

And yes, I do fly my German flag in the states!:p:p

I actually like the Canadian philosophy - instead of melting pot, which is fine but which necessarily implies melting down and melding - kind of many flavors mixing to become one new flavor - the idea of a mosaic, many colors in harmony creating a new unified image. All of the pieces of the mosaic play a part, with no one piece or color dominating the others. Just a thought.

ROFL!!

Is the poster serious or are you trying to start a flame war? You really can't be serious... I am not phased by someone else flying the flag of their home country. It reminds me of how wonderful this country is -- that we are a melting pot. I wave an Auburn flag every football season. Do you find this offensive? What I find offensive is your ignorance. The First Amendment that allows you to spew your racist remarks also allows people to wave flags representing other countries and *gasp* manufacture catalogs in other languages. Instead of jeering at multiculturalism in America, perhaps you should invest in a Spanish course and educate yourself a little.

It's posts like yours that cause flame wars calling names and using hateful words. If you don't agree with what I say fine but to state it in such a venemous way, I feel you are not respecting my rights which is your intent to put me on the defensive.

Why not state your side in a productive way maybe then I would see your point better. Instead of calling me names; racisit and ignorant. I think the only thing I can be called here is a patriot.

When did I jeer? :confused: Do you know what 'jeer' means? Maybe you should invest in an English course.

Are you really comparing flying a college banner to flying another countries flag? :confused:

BTW I am not against immigration. But I am against illegal immigration.

GEORGE BERNARD SHAW:
Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it.

Stephanie - I was kind of wondering the same thing, being she started two similar threads.

I started these threads for several reasons.

Basically I'm scared as I stated above. I guess I posted them both here not to start a flame war but to get people to think, wake up and look around and see what is happening. I know I've had my head buried for 46 years. And I know others back in the original thread posted by Baylian/Cap and Trade thread stated that they were like me: totally ignorant of wants been going on.
I guess maybe I value your opinions and thoughts and maybe I was looking for reassurance (and not name calling) that our world that we live in is going to be ok.

I came on here looking for answers, looking for more information and what did I get? I get jeered at and called names. Very big of you.
Thanks a lot.

Why not state your side in a productive way maybe then I would see your point better. Instead of calling me names; racisit and ignorant. I think the only thing I can be called here is a patriot.

I believe I did state my side in a productive way. It's not my fault you can't see my point. I called no one names. I said your remarks were racist. I found them to be so. I said you had ignorance. We all are ignorant on some topics. It was not my intent to put you on the defensive, as you suggest. Your entire post was intended to put people on the defensive, in my opinion.

I know English very well, thank you. In case you needed a vocabulary lesson, the Webster definition of "jeer" is: to speak or cry out with derision. I believe your words were very derisive.

I used the college flag reference as a way to reflect the absurdity of your comments. If you found that absurd, then mission accomplished.

I'm not at all disputing your patriotism, but if you think that people who proudly display symbols of their heritage are less patriotic than you, then you are sorely mistaken. It is possible to be proud of both, you know.

I'm just curious, what was the point of your post? What did you hope to accomplish with it?

I started these threads for several reasons.

Basically I'm scared as I stated above. I guess I posted them both here not to start a flame war but to get people to think, wake up and look around and see what is happening. I know I've had my head buried for 46 years. And I know others back in the original thread posted by Baylian/Cap and Trade thread stated that they were like me: totally ignorant of wants been going on.
I guess maybe I value your opinions and thoughts and maybe I was looking for reassurance (and not name calling) that our world that we live in is going to be ok.

I came on here looking for answers, looking for more information and what did I get? I get jeered at and called names. Very big of you.
Thanks a lot.

So you posted these posts as a wake-up call for those of us who have our heads buried? Did I get that right? Or were you looking for reassurance that are world is going to be OK?

I"m fully awake. I am very excited about the future of this country. For the past eight years, I was horrified. Now I'm hopeful. That's my bit of reassurance. Somehow, I don't think it is what you were looking for though.

Now this thread is up to 12 votes/2.67 average. And 480 views.
the other thread has only 761 views and no stars.

If it got people looking into the Cap and Trade and the affects (good or bad) then that's a good thing. I know I started talking about it last week at my work and very few people knew anything about that. Now this week I heard another table at work talking about it. So people are talking about it = good. now they can look into it and inform themselves. Same as this thread.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.