Every time you show up you get a bit better...right?

herewego

I'll be honest.
I find Cathe workouts very challenging and I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've managed to finish a workout.
I was feeling a bit discouraged about this today as I kept chopping and changing between Basic Step and Step. Jump and Pump. I tried doing Butts and Guts yesterday and I honestly do not know how anyone can do that workout!!
But - so long as I push myself genuinely - any workout is worth it right?

I'll be honest.
I find Cathe workouts very challenging and I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've managed to finish a workout.
I was feeling a bit discouraged about this today as I kept chopping and changing between Basic Step and Step. Jump and Pump. I tried doing Butts and Guts yesterday and I honestly do not know how anyone can do that workout!!
But - so long as I push myself genuinely - any workout is worth it right?

Believe me Cathe's workout are very challenging indeed but I would keep at it and don't get discouraged at all. Look at it as a goal to make it through the whole workout regardless how long it takes - everybody is different and their bodies respond differently. I've been working out with Cathe for a very, very long time and there are still many of her DVDs that are so, so tough but I like that feeling because it tells me I can continue to get better. So again, don't feel discouraged, just keep trying. I always tell myself that I am so grateful that my body is able to move a certain way and with time it does improve. Oh and yes any workout is worth it. :)

I do Cathe's workouts at my pace/level. I cannot match Cathe on upper body weights - not by a long shot, but I lift at my capacity and aim to challenge myself. Many times Cathe is using 12 lb or 15 lb dumbbells, but I'll be doing my thing with 6-10 lb dumbbells. It's all about doing what you can. I've also realized that I don't enjoy long workouts. I prefer to stay in the 45 mins and under range, and I don't guilt myself for it. It's about what you enjoy and what will motivate you to come back tomorrow.

I am new to Cathe’s workouts and they are so hard! But that’s why I love them. I often have to go lighter than her or do less jumping, but by the last week of the Strong & Sweaty rotation I was able to lift a little heavier and not feel like I was going to die. Keep at it you’ll get stronger :)

I’ve been doing Cathes workouts for a very long time. I RARELY match her weights with upper body but I am definitely defined and lean up top! I can say her cardio is certainly challenging depending on how I feel on any given day, and I love my cardio! I knew I was a Cathlete when I finished IMAX 3 with no breaks or modifications. That doesn’t mean I can do it perfectly every single time. We’re all different. None of us woke up one day and followed Cathe easily. She’s tough, so take your time, do your thing and you’ll see changes and improvements. Baby steps within your ability. We’re here for you. So the answer to your question is a resounding undeniable YES. Every time you show up you get better.

Hey, herewego, don't feel discouraged about having to modify Cathe's workouts to meet your needs. As I've gotten older, I've realized there is no need to feel guilty about a workout, as long as I have truly pushed myself. I can usually match Cathe for strength training, but cardio......not so much. With cardio, I often have to modify or substitute lower impact options, but as long as I am working out to my full potential the results are there. So, YES, any workout is worth it!!

Every workout where you show up and give it what you've got that day, in that moment, is worth it. Maybe it's just me, but don't expect every workout to be amazing or to be continually progressing every workout. Sometimes there are days where you aren't 100% there, and that's OK. And I am not talking about those days where your body is begging for a rest day or when you are in an overtraining situation. I am talking about those days when you wake up and feel "blah" because it's Monday or when you have a lot of stress going on in life, etc. I can do everything Cathe has ever produced...BUT, not on "those" days. On "those" days, I do what feels right and move in a way that honors my body, which might mean an "easier" workout or a workout different from what I had planned.

My point is that, yes. Working out generally gets better the more you practice, of course! Especially as you develop the habit, it becomes a natural part of your existence. But please, please, please keep going and shrug off self-judgment on "those" days when you fall short of perfection, because it happens to ALL of us, veteran Cathletes AND newly enlisted Cathletes alike! Best to you, and all of us, on our fitness journeys!

I second all the words of support you've received here. I used to have such a hard time getting through Cathe's Basic Step video, and look how far I've come! We just need to keep coming back and even if we don't improve, we will be better than if we didn't try!

If you continue to work out with others (in this case Cathe and her crew) who are at a higher level than you, you will improve. You do what you can and the more you do it, you will get results. There will be a day when you actually find some of the workouts easy and you will look for ways to make them harder. I'm not kidding.
Don't stop!! You will surprise yourself. I know that many people I see everyday couldn't even do a Cathe warm up. The fact you are showing up and trying is a step towards better health.

Sometimes there are days where you aren't 100% there, and that's OK. And I am not talking about those days where your body is begging for a rest day or when you are in an overtraining situation. I am talking about those days when you wake up and feel "blah" because it's Monday or when you have a lot of stress going on in life, etc.

You summed up exactly how I felt this morning! I had to really push myself to exercise today. And then I looked at my calendar, and I had Crossfire Quick Fix w/Core...and OMG, I had to talk myself into it. I kept mentally trying to convince myself through the warmup "it's okay, just do it at your own level today." In the end, I was giving it my all, but the first few were half-assed. ;)

Believe me Cathe's workout are very challenging indeed but I would keep at it and don't get discouraged at all. Look at it as a goal to make it through the whole workout regardless how long it takes - everybody is different and their bodies respond differently. I've been working out with Cathe for a very, very long time and there are still many of her DVDs that are so, so tough but I like that feeling because it tells me I can continue to get better. So again, don't feel discouraged, just keep trying. I always tell myself that I am so grateful that my body is able to move a certain way and with time it does improve. Oh and yes any workout is worth it. :)
Awesome!!! So very true. One great example is Imax3, that’s a workout that kicks my butt and I always wonder how the crew keeps up with Cathe. Lol. It’s always challenging

Awesome!!! So very true. One great example is Imax3, that’s a workout that kicks my butt and I always wonder how the crew keeps up with Cathe. Lol. It’s always challenging

Terina, Imax 3 also kicks my butt and I've been doing that one for a while!!! Like Cathe says in one of her DVDs while she's exericising (can't remember which DVD), "It never gets easy, does it". :)

Cathe's workouts are very challenging. What I do if I haven't been working out at her level for a while, is work my way up to them with beginner/intermediate workouts from other DVDs I have. If you have just plunged into her workouts and are doing nothing else, I am not surprised that it is frustrating and you probably feel worn out, too. I'd suggest mixing your rotation up with easier workouts (Leslie Sansone walking DVDs come to mind as a start), and replacing them with over time with progressively harder workouts and Cathe workouts. I think this does two things: 1) Gives your body a chance to recover from Cathe's brutality while still building strength and endurance 2) Gives you the psychological boost of quickly seeing improvements when it's the "easy workout" day. Improvement that you will see quicker than if you were only doing Cathe workouts and are worn out by them as a result.

Stick with it, and you will get there. Being able to do Cathe even for 5 minutes is an accomplishment! :)

I started using Cathe about 10 years ago, mainly her Gym style dvd’s for biceps & triceps. her arms/abs definition were/are beautiful. but at 71 mins, I wasn’t ready for an hour+ mentally. Cathe kicks your butt.... :) so I did the premixes at 36 mins, 2-3x’s a week. That allowed me to get stronger over time in less time. Premixes are good.
After 10 years, no bat wings. I added butt/guts dvd post menopause, my core suddenly became flabby :-(. Again I do chapters to focus on particular areas. the core workout is 13mins....ouch. ☺️

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.