Elliptical Machine recommendations

I have an older Precor that I LOVE, but honestly, I was just looking at the new models and I don't like them quite as much. If I were going out to buy one today I'd seriously consider an Octane. The store where I bought mine carries just about every make and model of elliptical on the market and the salesman told me that the Octane is outselling all of them combined.

Hi Michele - Actually I was looking at an Octane today after work, and I liked it. Thought I'd check with the educated crowd first before I put out that kind of $$.

What I like about the Octane is that you can adjust the stride length. That's a wonderful feature if you have multiple users. I'm 5'5" and my DH is 6'4" -- the Precor stride length is fine for me, but it would be nice if we could adjust it a bit for my DH.

OTOH the Precor comes with a fantastic warranty. My elliptical is almost 3 years old and we've never had a problem with it. It gets a lot of use, too. It's been my only form of cardio until recently when I started training for a 5K.

BTW you will NEED Cardio Coach workouts to go with your new elliptical. :D

I didn't know anything about Cardio Coach, so I just looked it up on the web. This looks pretty interesting, I usually just listen to Latino music or watch the Sopranos DVDs while I'm working out.

I didn't know anything about Cardio Coach, so I just looked it up on the web. This looks pretty interesting, I usually just listen to Latino music or watch the Sopranos DVDs while I'm working out.
Cardio Coach will take your elliptical workouts to a whole new level!!! And the workouts are great for ANY cardio machine, as well as for outdoor running/walking. A quick search of the forums will bring up countless threads about CC including reviews and overall raves about the workouts. ;) :D

I have a Precor like Michele and I love it. I haven't looked at newer models for over a year. We did check out the Octane a few years ago and I thought they were nice and very comfortable. I think you couldn't go wrong with the Octane or Precor.

I know they sell much cheaper models at sporting goods stores or Sears but those weren't an option for us since DH is a big guy and we needed a sturdy (expensive) machine that would allow for heavier users. But even if we didn't have this excuse, I'd want to go with the nicer kind. It just feels better to me--like a gym-quality machine.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Amy

I use the arc trainer instead of the elliptical at the gym. It's similar, but I've found it to be more intense.

If I had the money & a higher ceiling in my basement, I'd def. invest in one of those.

I've had a Precor for about 3 years, I think. Maybe 4. It's a work horse, for sure. I got the least expensive model and so it only has a few workout programs, but it suits my needs. I LOVE it!

We bought an elliptical by Vision Fitness a few years ago. It is no doubt the best fitness investment I have ever made, and I've been working out for 30 years :) My husband and I both use it regularly. Anyway it was in the $2500 range instead of the $5000-$6000 range of the Precors and LifeFitness. I highly recommend looking at Vision to see what they have currently. Their URL is http://www.visionfitness.com/. We bought it at a local store, where the staff person there showed us Vision, LifeFitness and Precors all in next to each other - a great way to compare if you can.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.