DH started his thru hike of the AT

HE MADE IT!!!!! Yesterday, on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 on Day 95 of his journey, with 93 days of hiking....2,189.2 miles hiked. FedEx weighed his pack for shipping it home: a whopping 45 pounds :eek:! He's flying home tomorrow and I have one week of vacation. Do you think he'll want to go hiking with me ;)?DSC05057x-small.jpg

Thanks for sharing his incredible journey with all of us! What an adventurous soul. I can't really remember the last time a took a more than 2.5 day hike. The East Coast Trail (here in Canada) has been calling my name though! Weather looks similar to how I see Non Toxic ended his adventure. I bet he can't wait to sleep in with you now in a comfy bed. ;)

Seriously Nancy!?!?!? Hiking???.....hmmmmm, I'm betting he'll have a different activity in mind. Get your minds out of the gutter people, I'm guessing he'll want to sleep! Sleeping is an activity!!

Many, many congrats to you both! This is an experience of a lifetime! Well done!

Last edited:
Non-Toxic has SO MANY mosquito bites.....and his feet and ankles were very swollen when he first got back (the swelling is slowly going down). It still hasn't really hit him yet...he slept A LOT yesterday and got about 8 hours in last night as well. We've been taking very short little walks around the neighborhood; he's been wearing his stretchy beach shoes because his feet won't fit into anything else! All in all he looks FANTASTIC and is already planning out a gradual return to his fitness routine, including more Cathe workouts!

Non-Toxic has SO MANY mosquito bites.....and his feet and ankles were very swollen when he first got back (the swelling is slowly going down). It still hasn't really hit him yet...he slept A LOT yesterday and got about 8 hours in last night as well. We've been taking very short little walks around the neighborhood; he's been wearing his stretchy beach shoes because his feet won't fit into anything else! All in all he looks FANTASTIC and is already planning out a gradual return to his fitness routine, including more Cathe workouts!
I hate mosquito bites. That would be enough to keep me from ever attempting anything like that even on a much smaller scale (shave a 0 or 2 off those miles).

I thought Non-Toxic would sleep for a week straight. His poor feet earned some rest. I bet he will never take for granted ever again a nice bed, hot coffee, hot food, hot shower, or all the things we don't notice anymore. So happy for you both to be returning to " normal life"! Thank you for including us in your journey.

Nancy:

congrats to your hubby. He looked great in those photos! Bet you're dead proud of him. According to REI stats I read online last week, the average time to hike the AT is about 165 days, so he was gunning it!

Excellent news.

What's the first thing he ate when he got back and how long did he spend in the shower!!????!! (Long backpacking trips, my hubby ad I spend waaaay too much time talking about what we'll eat as soon as we get off the trail! The mind turns to alternative food offerings real quick!!)

Clare

Nancy:

congrats to your hubby. He looked great in those photos! Bet you're dead proud of him. According to REI stats I read online last week, the average time to hike the AT is about 165 days, so he was gunning it!

Excellent news.

What's the first thing he ate when he got back and how long did he spend in the shower!!????!! (Long backpacking trips, my hubby ad I spend waaaay too much time talking about what we'll eat as soon as we get off the trail! The mind turns to alternative food offerings real quick!!)

Clare
Yeah, he really made great time! The shower thing was spot on...he LOVED the hot water! The food thing may surprise you: he ate pretty much the same way we eat at home (some of the grocery stores even let him use their microwaves to cook up bison steaks that he bought when they were available)...but he DID love being able to have black-strap molasses on his yogurt and LOVED having his stove top popped popcorn in coconut oil (he's been eating a TON of popcorn)!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.