DH started his thru hike of the AT

Sorry this came out so humongous! It is a 5 day weather forecast for the area Non-Toxic is hiking. Guess which day Non-Toxic will be out of The White Mountains?
TODAY
Jul 24

52°F

43°

Showers
50%

NW 15 mph

SAT
Jul 25

57°

48°

PM Showers
30%

SE 9 mph

SUN
Jul 26

55°

49°

Scattered Thunderstorms
60%

SSW 12 mph

MON
Jul 27

67°

51°

PM Thunderstorms
50%

WNW 9 mph

TUE
Jul 28

69°

53°

Partly Cloudy
20%

WNW 14 mph

Yep, Tuesday. The sunny day. I can count on one hand the number of days it hasn't rained on him!

When we hiked up in the Tetons a few years back I was whimpering because my thumbs & toes were so cold during an icy rainy hike in September. Non-Toxic was just merrily hiking along and seemed oblivious to the weather; in fact, he was in awe of how beautiful the flora and fauna appeared beneath the thin veneer of ice. That's one of the things I love about him: he enjoys the moment he is in!

As corny as it is, I can't get this part of Somewhere Out There out of my head while I anxiously wait to hear that Non-Toxic is safely out of The White Mountains:
"...And even though I know how very far apart we are
It helps to think we might be wishing
On the same bright star..."

Then I realize he's not seeing any stars right now. Just clouds and rain, clouds and rain, clouds and rain....:p

As corny as it is, I can't get this part of Somewhere Out There out of my head while I anxiously wait to hear that Non-Toxic is safely out of The White Mountains:
"...And even though I know how very far apart we are
It helps to think we might be wishing
On the same bright star..."

Then I realize he's not seeing any stars right now. Just clouds and rain, clouds and rain, clouds and rain....:p

Hang in there Nan, we're all pulling for him, (figuratively) and sending our good vibes your way!

Non-Toxic is in The White Mountains!!! He made it over Mt. Moosilauke despite HORRIFIC weather! He hunkered down with 2 southbound hikers under the ruins of a building and watched people being blown all over the place by high winds in driving rain (the people were trying to get a picture of the sign at the summit!). The 2 southbound hikers said they had a beer for the first northbound hiker they saw and Non-Toxic happily accepted it! Non-Toxic said the 3 of them giggled like idiots at how awful the weather was and then they parted ways to descend in opposite directions, toward opposite ends of the trail. Non-Toxic made it into Woodstock, NH and decided to splurge for a room at a place that will give him a hot breakfast and it has a brewery on site for a nightcap. He really regrets sending his gloves and hat back home when he thought he didn't need them back in Virginia!
LOL, Nancy, I know that inn and have stayed there myself. :)
Hope the weather doesn't dampen his fun too much!!

Received an email yesterday from a hiker that hiked to the summits of Mt Lafayette and Mt Garfield in the Whites on Saturday afternoon with my DH:

hi nancy,
my name is john m***** , im from mass. I was hiking Lafayette yesterday and befriended [Non-Toxic] along the way to summit. he is fine and in good spirits despite being tired . our plan was for he and I to go back down to parking lot and go get rooms and a good meal , however we missed the turn and ended up hiking Garfield peak as well!!!! . [Non-Toxic] decided to camp at an AT site and I continued down to parking lot of Garfield and hitched a ride back to my truck .
it was great meeting your husband , he’s a good man . an inspiration to us who are fumbling with the idea of age and reality . he also gave me hope for a relationship im trying to rekindle.
tell him for me getting down to parking lot was hysterical !! backtracking in dark to confirm route etc. too funny .
tell him to keep in touch, id love to hear some of his adventures.
his pace will get him in maine on time and you’ll see him soon.
john m*****

I am overwhelmed at the effect my DH is having on people, but not surprised! He has that effect on me everyday!
Mt. Garfield is at mile 1826 on the trail, 363 more to go as of Saturday afternoon!

The finish line is on the horizon! That's friggin amazing & exciting! Does he have a camera? Has he been taking pictures?
Yes, he has a small camera, and yes, he's been taking some pictures...however, he broke the screen on the back and everything's been coming out blurry (other than a few selfies)!:confused:

(Cut and pasted from the email I sent out to family & friends that are following my DH)
Non-Toxic is out of The Whites!
Non-Toxic made it out The Whites yesterday and spent the night in Gorham, NH. That’s 1890.0 miles in on the trail with 298.3 left to go!
He is considering taking a zero day today (he deserves it!).
Opened an email from him this morning that he sent late last night. Here are some excerpts:

Hi,
I just finished The Whites and arrived at Gorham, NH.
I fell forward again (let down after The Whites, I guess), bumped my temple pretty hard on another rock, but had my hands free enough to block some of the fall (no blood, this time).
I also damaged both knees (bruises) and a hand scrape. It just happened a couple of hours ago, before dusk.
I am staying at least one more night, depending on the extent of the damages.
On the other hand if I am up to a day hike I may slack pack, for the first time, to see if I am okay.
I was with another hiker from NC - he is a Physical Therapist, he stopped at a shelter. I moved on.
I needed ice for head, feet, knees, and the scraped hand.
I Love You and Miss You.

I hope to talk to Non-Toxic sometime today and give him some encouragement and love. He is so close to finishing his journey. He only has 16.5 miles until he reaches the New Hampshire/Maine border!
Then it is only 281.8 miles to Katahdin!
Please keep him in your thoughts and send out positive vibes!

(...then later....)

I just spoke to Non-Toxic: he is battered and bruised but still intent on finishing his hike! He is pretty sore and needs to heal a bit before tackling the mountains again. He is planning on taking today off to loll in the hotel swimming pool and sleep! Of course, there will be icing of the sore spots, Vitamin I (ibuprofen), and eating copious amounts of food (maybe a beer in there too?). He specifically wanted to extend his thanks to those of you who have been rooting for him…he really appreciates it! He also is sending a special shout out to fellow hikers and trail angels! He is very anxious to get going again, he loves the challenges and the experiences he’s having on his journey. That said, he realizes he may have to back off a little for a few days until he is over this last tumble. But we’ve heard that before, right?
Several of you have asked if I have a time frame for completion of the trail; it will be roughly 2 weeks and he will be touching the sign on top of Katahdin!
Stay tuned, folks, we still have Maine ahead of us!

I have been following this thread with great interest (and awe) for a while. I broke toes before and couldn't walk on them worth anything.
I'm so sorry to hear that he fell. Sending healing vibes his way. Glad to hear that he is taking a day or 2 off. A little rest might just be what he needs before the last few miles. I think this is the first time I referred to 300 miles as "a few".

He is going to regret not taking more pictures with a good camera. It is the trip of a lifetime.

Today Non-Toxic decided to to hitchhike back to the spot where he got off the trail after his most recent tumble and cover the 20 miles of trail he missed when he went into town to address his injuries (he's what they call a "purist" and feels he must cover every part of the white blazed trail). He considered it a "zero" day because he did it without his pack ("slack-packing"). He left the pack at the hotel and just carried his water and food to test out his injuries and see what he was capable of doing. He started early in the morning and sent an email to me at 1:30 pm that he was back. He was shocked at how easy it was and said he forgot that he's in great shape! He feels much better after resting yesterday, and I'm sure today's experiment was a boost to his confidence. He was worried that he would be in too much pain to hike, but said it was fine! Tomorrow he'll be back on the trail and will more than likely be in Maine by the end of the day. So here we on Day 82 of his journey with 79 days of hiking. He's covered 1890.0 miles on the trail with 298.3 left to go. He's averaged 23-24 miles a day depending on whether you consider a zero day a hiking day. Based on this data, he should be touching the sign on Katahdin in about 2 weeks, covering the whole trail in about 95 days! If he slows down like he said he was going to it will obviously lengthen the time out there...and that's okay; he's not trying to break any records, he just wants to finish safely and come home!:)

So glad to hear he is doing better. I can't imagine over 50,000 steps a day in a very rough terrain. Wow!!
Hope the rest of his hike is really uneventful. Keep us posted.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.