DH started his thru hike of the AT

Here's a photo of Non-Toxic that Shaw's Lodging in Monson, Maine posted on their Facebook page.
It is the hiker hostel that the Trail Angels from Pennsylvania reserved for Non-Toxic so he could be in top shape for the 100 Mile Wilderness.
The proprietors “Poet” and “Hippy Chick” loved having Non-Toxic there not only because he helped them with kitchen clean-up, but also because he wasn’t picky about the clothing they lent him from the hiker box (hence the itty bitty sweater he's wearing!)!
And, he provided great guitar music for everyone staying at the hostel. It was definitely one of the high points of his journey!
Non-Toxic at Shaw's 2015aug07.jpg

Here's a photo of Non-Toxic that Shaw's Lodging in Monson, Maine posted on their Facebook page.
It is the hiker hostel that the Trail Angels from Pennsylvania reserved for Non-Toxic so he could be in top shape for the 100 Mile Wilderness.
The proprietors “Poet” and “Hippy Chick” loved having Non-Toxic there not only because he helped them with kitchen clean-up, but also because he wasn’t picky about the clothing they lent him from the hiker box (hence the itty bitty sweater he's wearing!)!
And, he provided great guitar music for everyone staying at the hostel. It was definitely one of the high points of his journey!
View attachment 4413

Your husband has a great smile and is a dishy dude. Love the itty bitty sweater! A picture of glowing health. Wish more people would just get up and walk. It does a body good.

Clare

I liked the article, Nancy, thanks for posting it. I enjoyed hearing about his motivation and other background info. He really did the AT on his own terms. Did you two like like the article or have misgivings? Did he have many tick bites? I think those would worry me as much as anything else. I agree that AT seems to have a party type atmosphere, at least based on some of the Youtube vids. I really admire NT and his choices. Congrats again to you both, I hope life is treating you well in the aftermath of such an adventure.

Wow, what an accomplishment! I bet you're so very proud of your hubby! Kudos to him and kudos to your for your support! Thanks for sharing that inspiring article:)

I liked the article, Nancy, thanks for posting it. I enjoyed hearing about his motivation and other background info. He really did the AT on his own terms. Did you two like like the article or have misgivings? Did he have many tick bites? I think those would worry me as much as anything else. I agree that AT seems to have a party type atmosphere, at least based on some of the Youtube vids. I really admire NT and his choices. Congrats again to you both, I hope life is treating you well in the aftermath of such an adventure.
I'm glad you enjoyed the article! The reporter interviewed him for several hours (she is a section hiker of the AT) and said she had a hard time cutting the content down to fit in her allotted space! Non-Toxic is a tick magnet on the trail, but managed to get any free-loaders off without developing the dreaded bulls-eye rash. We're watching for signs of lyme disease, but he seems okay for now! We're getting geared up for some hiking next week up in Shenandoah and plan on paying forward some of the trail magic NT received by feeding some southbound hikers and giving them rides if they need them. It was the part of the journey that had the most impact on NT: the kindness of strangers!

Last edited:
Nanbo,

Our ornaments should meet. Together we could have a wild animal preserve.
Is that piece of branch (the one with the white patch) a souvenir from Non-Toxic's adventure? I agree with desertambrosia, the tree topper is awesome!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.