DH started his thru hike of the AT

Yesterday afternoon DH crossed the New York/Connecticut state line! He sent me a quick email from the library in the city of Kent, which is at mile 1467.1. He was going to keep going as long as there was daylight and he felt like it! Only about 700 more miles to go!

Where will he end up? How will get back home when he's done?
The trail ends on top of Mount Katahdin in Baxter State Park, Maine (a total of 2189 miles!). We haven't really nailed down the whole getting home thing! Last I heard he wanted to get a rental car an drive back home to NC (he didn't want me using up vacation time to drive up there to get him...but I still might ;)!).

Another email from my DH! He picked up his resupply box at the PO in Falls Village, CT this afternoon! He said he feels great and is super focused on the next 697 miles. The part that intimidates everyone is the section through the White Mountains in New Hampshire...it's a ways off, but he is gearing up for it! Unfortunately, he did lose a toenail from the broken baby toe...someone sold him Superfeet inserts that were not the right type for his feet and they squashed his toes, eventually breaking the two baby ones. The salesperson threw away the inserts that came with the brand new Oboz boots DH had purchased. So when DH realized that his feet were numb and in bad shape from the Superfeet inserts he had to use the boots with no insert at all! Superfeet is sending us a refund check.

By now....your husband could be the spokesperson for hiking shoes, running shoes, backpacks, athletic wear, rain wear, trail mix, the services of the post office. The list goes on! Kudos! I expect to see him in a commercial soon!

Because of all your posts/updates and including all of us with his progress, I feel emotionally invested in his success now. Is that weird?

Sorry to hear of the toe problems! Gotta take care of the tootsies!!

I can't believe he's so close already. The White Mountains can be tough going, but I think his timing is perfect, weather-wise, so he'll only need to deal with the terrain. :eek:
Baxter State Park is gorgeous. I think you should come to pick him up. Maybe fly into Manchester, NH and rent a car from there?

By now....your husband could be the spokesperson for hiking shoes, running shoes, backpacks, athletic wear, rain wear, trail mix, the services of the post office. The list goes on! Kudos! I expect to see him in a commercial soon!

Because of all your posts/updates and including all of us with his progress, I feel emotionally invested in his success now. Is that weird?

Sorry to hear of the toe problems! Gotta take care of the tootsies!!

tlc93, I totally understand what you mean about being emotionally invested in Non-Toxic's (my DH's trail name) progress! My sister lives up in Michigan and works at a large hospital in Lansing. She put a map of the trail up on a wall and they have a little hiker guy that they move along the trail. She has a huge group of people following the updates and they've even been sending him notes of encouragement. Instead of the usual gift basket filled with a "theme" of products (like movie night) that her department puts together for their big fund raising auction, they put together a backpack filled with hiking goodies in Non-Toxic's honor! She is promising to send a picture of it to me so I'll try to post it. Many people are caught up in his journey and it makes me feel like I'm part of something very special!

You ARE a part of something special indeed. It's intriguing to think that a venture that is seemingly solitary has so many people involved! He's certainly going to excite and motivate others to create their own healthy adventure! I'm happy for both of you!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.