DH started his thru hike of the AT

DH did 40 miles yesterday ( :eek:!) and stopped for the night in Pine Grove, PA to avoid being struck by lightning! He plans on another 25 miles today to get to his re-supply box at the post office in Port Clinton, PA (1217 miles on the trail on Day 49 with 48 days of hiking). He says he feels better than he has in 25 years and has NO MUSCLE SORENESS WHATSOEVER (he thinks it may be due to the D-ribose I've been adding to the trail mix...1 tsp per serving/day).

Adrenaline, homemade trail mix spiked with ribose, beautiful scenery, mercurial weather, oh yes don't forget.....tigers, lions and bears.

I would be high on hiking just to get to my food!
Glad to hear he is in excellent condition and enjoying himself! GO GO GO Mr. NANBO.

While we're on this homemade trail mix topic Nancy, is there any deal of day for cathletes? ;-) ;-)

Envoyé de mon D5503 en utilisant Tapatalk

Yesterday morning my DH picked up his re-supply box in Delaware Water Gap, PA at the Pennsylvania/New Jersey border! Only 72 miles of the trail goes through NJ, so he should be in New York for the 4th of July...sure hope he sees some spectacular fireworks! And without much further ado, this is his basic daily diet:
AT Trail Kibble: (He munches this throughout the day)
110 grams Natures Path Blueberry Flax cereal
30 grams pepitas (un-shelled pumpkin seeds)
40 grams raw almonds
40 grams walnuts
20 grams dehydrated banana chips
20 grams dehydrated apple slices
56 grams raisins
15 grams coconut flakes
1/4 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
1 tsp D-ribose (I think it's about 5000mg?)

28 grams Garden of Life Raw Meal powder mixed with water and 28 grams full fat goat milk powder (He's been doing this 2 times per day lately)

2 Epic meat bars (beef and turkey variety)

Then he munches desiccated peas, spoonfuls of almond butter, dates, mixed nuts, and avocados. When he can get to a grocery store he gets full fat yogurt, and fresh fruit and veggies. Once in a while I send a "treat" like Dr. Kracker crackers or popcorn that I pop on the stove in coconut oil and red palm oil.

He drinks about 9 liters of water per day...

Last edited:
Nanbo,

His diet sounds just right for a man on the run and I think that is the hardest grub to swallow day in and day out.

Any hot meals available by chance on this trail?

Sorry for the break in the action, ladies! DH made it to Fort Montgomery, NY on Sunday, Day 58 of his journey. That's about 1403 miles on the trail. He sounds great in spite of a gash he sustained above his eyebrow when he face planted on the rock field in NJ last Wednesday. It's very slippery out there with all the rain and super challenging terrain on the rocks. He says it is healing nicely. I just hope he catches a break with the weather and has a nice dry spell for while!

Nanbo,

His diet sounds just right for a man on the run and I think that is the hardest grub to swallow day in and day out.

Any hot meals available by chance on this trail?
He doesn't have stove with him (he didn't want the weight of the gear and fuel cans), so his hot meals come from the Trail Angels or the rare occasion when he springs for a meal in town. He says he is really starting to miss a hot cup of coffee in the morning!

He doesn't have stove with him (he didn't want the weight of the gear and fuel cans), so his hot meals come from the Trail Angels or the rare occasion when he springs for a meal in town. He says he is really starting to miss a hot cup of coffee in the morning!

How much longer will he be hiking? What an awesome accomplishment to hike so far! I would love to be able to do something like that.

Very impressive indeed. This must have taken a huge amount of preparation. He's with other people right?
No, he's doing this solo which is why he's able to hike at his own quick pace! Now and then he'll meet up with folks and they hike together a while, but either they will pass him or he will pass them and on their way they go! He told me he is alone about 98% of the time.
He really didn't do much prep work for this, in fact, it was about 2 weeks from the time he decided to go until the time he left! He is a runner so that helped with some of it, and he wore my Cathe 20# vest and hiked 6 hours a day for those 2 weeks to get used to having weight on his back.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.