Crock Pot

It was pretty good. My only complaint is that it was way too salty. If I made it again I think I'd try low-sodium broth or maybe even water.
Brenda

Glad you liked it, in spite of the saltiness. Did you use beef broth or beef bouillon? I love adding all kinds of veggies to it: Mushrooms, carrots, potatoes... Might be making it tomorrow....

I made the Kickin' Creamy Chicken Stew Tuesday night and it was AWESOME! We ate it over rice. Ate leftovers the next night, same way. I had the remaining leftovers for lunch in a ww tortilla w/lots of salad greens and it was Yummy! :p Very versitile and just plain easy to make!

Thanks! I have been checking out the Crockpot 365 blog and she is amazing what she tries :eek: Fun site.

Thanks for all the great recipes to try ladies :)

Shani,
You're probably going to think I'm crazy - but I have the same problem as you do. What I did one evening was put all the ingredients in my crockpot, put it in the frig, carried it to work w/me the next day and carried it home and I was ready to eat!:D Of course it drove everybody crazy smelling my supper all day long.

It was kind of a pain to do that, but I had a "must-try" recipe and dh doesn't like the thought of it plugged in at home all day.

This worked!

Here's a few tried and true (and GOOD!):

To Die For Roast

1 package of Italian salad dressing mix
1 package of brown gravy mix
1 package of ranch salad dressing mix
2-3 lb beef pot roast
1 cup of beef broth
Any type of veggies

Mix all of the seasoning packet in the cup of broth. Place your veggies on the
bottom of a sprayed crock pot. Then place your meat on top of the veggies and
then pour the broth on top. Cook on low for 9-11 hours.

Chris (or anyone else who may want to chime in :)), I have all the ingredients to make this tonight and I even bought low sodium broth and gravy mix. I was wondering though, I have a can of Select Harvest Caramelized French Onion Soup and was considering using that instead of the broth and gravy mix. It's lower in sodium (has sea salt), no msg, and no artificial flavors. I'm just wondering if the flavor of the soup is going to clash with the Ranch and Italian dressing mixes.

TIA :)

Mary, I'm so glad to hear the Creamy Chicken Stew turned out good. I'm making it right now for a potluck tonight at my house. I'm going to sub light sour cream for the cream cheese and add some shredded 2% mexican blend cheese. Can't wait!

Oh, and I tried the stuffed peppers from the crockpot blog-they were yummy!

Thanks to all who've posted these awesome recipes and ideas:)

Chili con Carne

1 Lb ground beef {I have used turkey but it wasn't the same}
onion and green pepper {+ sometimes garlic}
16oz can tomatoes diced or stewed
4c kidney beans {I use Bush's chili beans w/ mild sauce, two small cans or one big one}
1/4 tea salt
1/2 bay leaf {I don't use}
1 tea sugar
1/2-1 TB chili power {too taste}

Brown gb. Drain. Add rest of ingredients to sprayed crockpot. Mix. Heat 6 hours on Auto Shift {Four high +two low} or six hours Med.

This is my Mom's recipe so I've eaten it for years which is why it tasted so different with the turkey. I never did get used to that. I think Mom got it out of the Joy of Cooking. Growing up this was the only recipe she used the CP for so when I got married I didn't get a CP and figured out how to make the chili in a pot on the stove, but it didn't taste the same. We eat at another couple's house once a week {I bring dessert} and she used a CP at least 3 times a week. So I finally got a CP and am learning how to make it work for me.

Because we have a big dog I lock the CP in the bathroom putting it in the tub and lock the dog out! She likes to pull food off the counter while we are gone and I can't lock her out of the kitchen. We have the best smelling bathroom! I feel a little silly each time I do this but I didn't want to take a chance.

Boingo1, I copied the Lasagna Soup and Pot Roast Recipes! I'm looking forward to making them.

Oatmeal!!!

You can put one cup of steel cut oats, 1-2 sliced apples, 5 cups of water, in the crock pot right before you go to bed, and wake up to the creamiest oatmeal ever!
Cook it overnight on the lowest setting:)

:) Cynthia, this was VERY good! What a pleasure to wake up to a prepared breakfast! :D

try a simple electric plug timer :)

Any ideas for someone who is gone 10-12 hours? I leave the house at 5-6am (depending on the season) and get home at 4-5pm. I've found that when I left the crockpot going even on low, chicken was overcooked and dried out!

Just a thought, but you could use a simple household light timer that is used for turning on and off household lamps etc... (they are pretty cheap in the hardward section). you could plug the crock pot into the timer, figure out what time you think you might be getting home from work that day and have the timer start however many hours/minutes before you get home... they work pretty slick... This way you don't over cook anything, but still have the option of using longer timed cooking not possible when getting home later in the evening :)

Just a thought :)

Chris (or anyone else who may want to chime in :)), I have all the ingredients to make this tonight and I even bought low sodium broth and gravy mix. I was wondering though, I have a can of Select Harvest Caramelized French Onion Soup and was considering using that instead of the broth and gravy mix. It's lower in sodium (has sea salt), no msg, and no artificial flavors. I'm just wondering if the flavor of the soup is going to clash with the Ranch and Italian dressing mixes.

TIA :)

I guess I'm kind of late for this, but I think the french onion soup would be great in this too! Just make sure it has the same amount of liquid ounces (you could add water to make up the difference).

Did you end up making it?

Just a thought, but you could use a simple household light timer that is used for turning on and off household lamps etc... (they are pretty cheap in the hardward section). you could plug the crock pot into the timer, figure out what time you think you might be getting home from work that day and have the timer start however many hours/minutes before you get home... they work pretty slick... This way you don't over cook anything, but still have the option of using longer timed cooking not possible when getting home later in the evening :)

Just a thought :)

I've thought of something like this but wondered if we'd get food poisoning from having something frozen sitting on the counter until it is time to begin, or vice versa, something hot cooling off until we get home. I don't think it would have been a problem with the old cookers, but the new ones cook much hotter than before. Also, I think if I use a smaller crock pot I'll be better off. I bought a big one at Costco and I think that is a big part of the problem (there are only 3 of us). So, next time I try the "Great CrockPot Experiment" I'll use the small one I found at a garage sale instead. ;)

Hi Shani:

hmmm.. good point... we mostly use the crockpot on the weekends so I didn't think about the bacteria issue and leaving uncooked stuff out... I'm not the cook of the family can you tell? :eek:

Just wanted to subscribe to this post. You guys have a lot of great ideas. Didn't know any other way other than to post.

Abbygail

Hi Shani:

hmmm.. good point... we mostly use the crockpot on the weekends so I didn't think about the bacteria issue and leaving uncooked stuff out... I'm not the cook of the family can you tell? :eek:

Dani, it's ok.. :D I don't always think of it either! So far I haven't poisoned my family so I guess we're good! :eek:

Loving the recipes though! I figure I'll use some for family get-togethers after church on Sundays. Crockpot could come in handy big time then!

I'm sorry but I thought it was just okay... but it probably my own fault. I used a pork loin roast which is leaner than the pork shoulder and it turned out too dry. The sauce was pretty good so I can see where it might be better with a juicier pork shoulder.

I make Pulled Pork and Italian Beef, and both are perfect for parties or for two nights of dinner if you have a small family. Just made the pork Friday night actually.

BBQ Pork
Italian Beef

I'm making the Italian beef today. I put it in the crock pot 5am this morning. It smells wonderful!

My husband and I are leaving tomorrow morning for a long weekend trip, so hopefully the beef sandwiches will supplement all the pizza my two will eat while we are gone:)

Orange pork chops

4 thick pork chops (salt and peppered)
1 jar of low sugar orange marmelade (15oz)
1 cup frozen onions
1/4 cup white wine
4 sticks cinnamon

cook on low 4-6 hours.

Serve with couscous and a green of sort (salad or steamed veggies)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.