Crock Pot

I usually just throw in some chicken, potatoes, baby carrots, onions, and cover it with low sodium chicken broth and let it go all day (or throw it in on my lunch hour and cook on high for 5 hours). It's yummy and sooooooo simple! I also do chili quite a bit.

I LOVE to come home and dinner is already cooked!!

Oh my! I can't believe no one posted it yet, but here's a blog that you may find interesting if you're into crock pot cooking. I will warn you - it's ADDICTIVE!! I have gotten some really interesting recipes over the past months, plus a LOT of entertainment:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

The writer made a New Year's resolution to use her crockpot every day for a year and has been blogging the results. Lots of fun - and lots of variety! Enjoy!!!

What is Bakon yeast and tamari? Did you use them in the recipe?

Tamari is a naturally fermented soy sauce, I had that and used it, but you could sub regular soy sauce. You can usually find tamari in bigger grocery stores and natural food stores.

I have no idea what Bakon yeast is, so I just skipped it...the beans still came out great!

Oh my! I can't believe no one posted it yet, but here's a blog that you may find interesting if you're into crock pot cooking. I will warn you - it's ADDICTIVE!! I have gotten some really interesting recipes over the past months, plus a LOT of entertainment:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

The writer made a New Year's resolution to use her crockpot every day for a year and has been blogging the results. Lots of fun - and lots of variety! Enjoy!!!
Thank you for recommending this site! I can't wait to dig in. :)

Missy

So here's a question for you die hard crock-potters: Do you let your crock pot run all day unattended?

I'm tempted to start something before I go to work in the morning, but I'm leery of leaving it on all day with no one around. I know my Mom used to do that when we were kids, but she was always home at lunchtime to check it...I don't have that option.

ETA - GraceNote!!! Awesome web site!

Last edited:
So here's a question for you die hard crock-potters: Do you let your crock pot run all day unattended?

I'm tempted to start something before I go to work in the morning, but I'm leery of leaving it on all day with no one around. I know my Mom used to do that when we were kids, but she was always home at lunchtime to check it...I don't have that option.

ETA - GraceNote!!! Awesome web site!
I do, and my mom did too. And so does my grandma. I just make sure that I leave it on the stove away from anything else that could possibly be any kind of fire hazard. :)

Missy

I have the Thaii Peanut Chicken recipe simmering now. I added two pieces of Tempeh for myself ( I am a non meat eater) I'll post results later or tomorrow.

I don't leave mine alone. My dad is a retired firefighter, which means I've heard one too many stories. Tons of people do though.

I can't wait to try out this thread's recipes and links!

Any ideas for someone who is gone 10-12 hours? I leave the house at 5-6am (depending on the season) and get home at 4-5pm. I've found that when I left the crockpot going even on low, chicken was overcooked and dried out!

Shani, my DH and I are away from the house for similar hours. I just make sure to add a lot of water (depending on the recipe). HTH! :)

Here's a few tried and true (and GOOD!):

Lasagna Soup
Serves 16 -

1 lb. extra lean ground beef, cooked, rinsed and drained
2 (27 oz.) cans chunky style spaghetti sauce
2 (27 oz.) cans water
1 tsp. beef bouillon crystals
2 chicken bouillon cubes
8 oz. dry lasagna noodles, uncooked and broken into 3" pieces (I used
macaroni elbows cause it looked like MORE)
3 cups frozen Italian mixed vegetables (can use any kind really)
2 (19 oz.) cans red kidney beans
1/2 cup light ricotta cheese

In a large pot, mix together the first 5 ingredients; bring to a
boil. Add
noodles and remaining ingredients, reduce heat and simmer until
noodles are
tender. Stir occasionally to keep ingredients from sticking to the
bottom of
the pot.

CrockPot Method: Add all ingredients EXCEPT noodles. Cook all day on
LOW
heat, add noodles/pasta 15-25 minutes before serving, cover and
continue to
cook until noodles are tender.

Per serving: 220 cal., 2 g fat, 6 g fibre

Santa Fe Rice and Beans
(Smart Ones makeover)

2 cups cooked rice
1 can corn, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes (Mexican style)
4 oz. light Velveeta cubed (or ff shredded cheese)

Layer in this order in crockpot on high for approx. 1 hour - until
cheese is melted and heated through.

8 - 1 cup servings

Turkey Stuffed Peppers-Crockpot
POINTS® value | 5
Servings | 5

Main Meals | This is a recipe for the crockpot or slow cooker. This
can be a meal all on it's own. Maybe adding some additional veggies
or low-point bread to accompany might be a suggestion

Ingredients

3/4 pound cooked ground turkey
14 1/2 oz Diced Tomatoes With Garlic And Onion
1 cup cooked brown rice
5 large green pepper(s)
1 Tbsp garlic herb seasoning
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 small onion(s)

Instructions

Cook rice and set aside to cool. Wash, cut tops off, and de-seed
green peppers. Set aside.
In large bowl, combine turkey (uncooked), cooked rice, onion,
tomatoes and seasonings. Stuff mixture into green peppers.
Spray crockpot with butter spray and also put a few Tbsp. of water in
bottom of pot. Place peppers with tops up in the crockpot.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.

To Die For Roast

1 package of Italian salad dressing mix
1 package of brown gravy mix
1 package of ranch salad dressing mix
2-3 lb beef pot roast
1 cup of beef broth
Any type of veggies

Mix all of the seasoning packet in the cup of broth. Place your veggies on the
bottom of a sprayed crock pot. Then place your meat on top of the veggies and
then pour the broth on top. Cook on low for 9-11 hours.

WW: Chili Mac Pot

16 ounces extra lean ground turkey or beef
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups (one 16 ounce can) tomatoes,
coarsely chopped and un-drained
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Healthy Request
Tomato Soup
1 cup reduced-sodium tomato juice
2 teaspoons chili seasoning (I used more, 3-5 TABLESPOONS)
6 ounces (one 8 ounce can) red kidney
beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup elbow macaroni

In a large skillet sprayed with olive oil flavored cooking spray, brown
meat. Meanwhile, in a slow cooker container sprayed with cooking spray, combine
onion, un-drained tomatoes, tomato soup, tomato juice, and chili
seasoning. Stir in kidney beans and uncooked macaroni. Add browned meat.
Mix well to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Mix well before
serving.

Serves 6 (1 full cup) 4 points

I've got this To Die For Roast on today. I'll let you know how it is tomorrow. I can't wait!

Lori, I tried the pulled pork yesterday. It was simple to make and tasted FANTASTIC!

Ugh!! Decisions, decisions!! I'm planning on Karin's Pepperoncini Beef for this weekend and the Pulled Pork for next...I may have to break down and just make both...and eat the left-overs all week. :D:D

Here are some other recipes that I have found that I tried and like.

BBQ Turkey Smokey Joes

(Rival's "The New Creative CrockPot")

3 lbs. ground turkey
1 onion finely chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 - 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. liquid smoke
1 Tbsp. Worcerstershire sauce
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

10 onion sandwich rolls, split and toasted

Brown the turkey in a skillet and drain the fat. Place in the crockpot slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients. Stir thoroughly. Cover; cook on Low 8 to 10 hours (or on High for 3 to 4 hours). To serve, spoon turkey and sauce over the rolls.

Makes ten servings.

Crockpot Beef Fajitas

6 servings, 6 pts

1 lb flank steak, trimmed and cut into 6 pieces
1 (14.4 oz) can Mexican style stewed tomatoes, drained
1 sweet onion, sliced
1 red and 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1/2 C canned diced jalapeno peppers
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp salt
6 (10") flour tortillas
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat taco cheese blend

1) mix the beef, tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, jalapenos, garlic, chili powder,cumin, coriander, and salt in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on HI until beef is tender - 4-5 hours
2) transfer the meat to a cutting board and cool slightly. Shred and return to the tomato sauce.
3) just before serving heat the tortillas according to package instructions. Sprinkle the cheese along the center of the tortillas and then top w/the beef mixture and fold.

Per Serving: 313 Cal, 9g Fat, 3 g Sat Fat, 35 mg Chol, 543 mg Sod, 30 g Carb, 4g Fib, 27 g Prot, 143mg Calc

Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken

INGREDIENTS

• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
  • 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • ½ cup chicken broth
  • 1/3 c fresh lemon juice
  • ½ c white wine
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tsp corn starch dissolved in a little bit of water
DIRECTIONS

1. In a bowl, mix the oregano, lemon pepper, and salt. Rub the mixture into chicken. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken in butter for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Place chicken in a slow cooker.
  2. In the same skillet, mix the water, lemon juice, garlic, and bouillon. Bring the mixture to boil. Pour over the chicken in the slow cooker.
  3. Cover, and cook on low for 3 hours. Add the parsley to the slow cooker 15 to 30 minutes before the end of the cook time. Remove chicken and thicken the sauce with cornstarch.
  4. Serve over egg noodles.

Last edited:
Oatmeal!!!

You can put one cup of steel cut oats, 1-2 sliced apples, 5 cups of water, in the crock pot right before you go to bed, and wake up to the creamiest oatmeal ever!
Cook it overnight on the lowest setting:)
How :cool: is this?!! I have GOT to try it. Thanks for the post Cynthia! :)

EXCELLENT thread. Crock pots ROCK!
ITA that allrecipes.com is a valuable source. I don't cook much now that we are "empty-nesters" :eek: but I do still use the crock pot to make soup. I LOVE soup. :p

Many years ago, I'd often make this Triple Chocolate Mess dessert. Um.... the calorie count per serving.... :eek:. I used FF sour cream instead of regular, and I substituted applesauce for the oil to cut the calories down a little. ;)

Thai Peanut Chicken

I made it tasted ok and looked awful.

There were 3 problems:
1. My crock pot was too big for the recipe
2. I substituted in Tempeh for part of the chicken which absorbed a lot of the moisture , like a sponge
3. I cooked it too long.

So, with modifications, like shorter cooking time and a smaller crock pot and a bit more liquid It might be better next time. The flavors had great potential.

I made it tasted ok and looked awful.

There were 3 problems:
1. My crock pot was too big for the recipe
2. I substituted in Tempeh for part of the chicken which absorbed a lot of the moisture , like a sponge
3. I cooked it too long.

So, with modifications, like shorter cooking time and a smaller crock pot and a bit more liquid It might be better next time. The flavors had great potential.

Sorry that you didn't care for it. I think that the type of CP you have really effects the cooking time. It seems like some CPs get really hot even on low and you have to reduce the cook times drastically. I have found that if the recipe calls for 8 hours I usually cook it for 6 hours.

To Die For Roast

It was pretty good. My only complaint is that it was way too salty. If I made it again I think I'd try low-sodium broth or maybe even water.
Brenda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.