Chin-Up Check-In Wed 4.5

>Hi everyone. No chinups yet and I'm not sure about tonight.
>My dh just got back from Mexico and I haven't seen him in 13
>days, so we may just spend some time together this evening.
>Does that count for cardio perhaps??? Nevermind..I'm sure
>that depends on many factors. (couldn't decide on a smiley
>guy for that one!!)

How long was he in Mexico and what sort of mission work did he do? Didn't you say your son went too? How old is he? Must be great to have them back!
>
Soosan...good to listen to your body and get over that
>soreness. Being sore is indicative of muscle GROWTH!! How
>are your elbows doing??
>
Yeah, I really think two days in between might work best for me at this point. I think you need to be careful about getting injured, especially in the beginning when your muscles may not be used to certain moves. At least that's how it is for me. My elbows usually hurt for a couple of hours the day I do the chin-ups but are fine afterward. My upper back has been sore in an unusual way since I started these - might have slightly pulled a muscle.

Debbie's in Myrtle Beach. She better not start this check-in again. :p :p }( }(

>Hi everyone. No chinups yet and I'm not sure about tonight.
>My dh just got back from Mexico and I haven't seen him in 13
>days, so we may just spend some time together this evening.
>Does that count for cardio perhaps??? Nevermind..I'm sure
>that depends on many factors. (couldn't decide on a smiley
>guy for that one!!)

How long was he in Mexico and what sort of mission work did he do? Didn't you say your son went too? How old is he? Must be great to have them back!
>
Soosan...good to listen to your body and get over that
>soreness. Being sore is indicative of muscle GROWTH!! How
>are your elbows doing??
>
Yeah, I really think two days in between might work best for me at this point. I think you need to be careful about getting injured, especially in the beginning when your muscles may not be used to certain moves. At least that's how it is for me. My elbows usually hurt for a couple of hours the day I do the chin-ups but are fine afterward. My upper back has been sore in an unusual way since I started these - might have slightly pulled a muscle.

Debbie's in Myrtle Beach. She better not start this check-in again. :p :p }( }(

WoW Briee!! How long do you rest between sets??
Glad you got to spend some quality time with hubby ;)

Catherine

WoW Briee!! How long do you rest between sets??
Glad you got to spend some quality time with hubby ;)

Catherine

DH was helping to put a roof on an orphanage for 40 homeless children. He went with our church on a bus with 28 adults and few teens.

The interesting part of the trip was my son. We homeschool our children and I'm always under this mental pressure that I'm not doing a good job...which I'M NOT (trust me on this one). My ds helps my dh a lot on our homebuilding project for my mom and also goes to work with him frequently to help out. He's involved with a speech and drama group, but other than that it is a regular battle to get him to do his school. Down in Mexico, Tyler was assigned to a group who was building the walls for the orphanage and he also signed up for Vacation Bible School for the kids. It was quickly found that Tyler had to teach the "adults" in the group how to drywall, build, use power tools, equipment, etc, so he was put "in charge" of the group. When he helped with the Vacation Bible School he got up and did skits/funny speeches for the children, alone, and spoke in front of large groups of people to share his faith, etc. He has absolutely no fear and no lack of self confidence as he's never been in the "school" atmosphere where you have kids making fun of you etc. So's he's just himself. I was really proud to hear this from the Director. He said, they couldn't have completed the projects without Tyler and he was amazed that he was only 15 and knew so many practical skills. I'm stating this not brag about ds, but to convince myself that were doing something right, even though his schooling is not where I want it to be. I know we need to work a LOT harder with him in the area of school and we plan to, but he's a very unique kid. Whatever he is learning HAS to be relevant to life in his opinion. Algebra just isn't one of those things. How many times have you guys used advanced Algebra in your life time? How many times have you had to "hire" someone to complete "practical skills" that you have never learned, ie building, plumbing, electrical, car repair, welding.

Sorry to go on and on...this is a big debate that goes on here. My dh and I graduated from Wheaton College so we are both educated, yet we left the "game" of the corporate world so we could be home to raise our children, help others, etc. Sometimes I wonder if we think inside this "box" of education. My ds applies himself wholeheartedly when he wants to learn something and with the internet, etc...he has the info quite accessible. Our other children who are homeschooled are doing great with school, just my oldest ds that finds it hard to "sit" and concentrate on irrelevant facts - in his opinion.

Wow....isn't that a hijacking of the chinup thread. Really...I'd love to hear your thoughts, I get so tired being stressed out about his schooling, any of you guys homeschool? On to the workout, my children just came up to inform me that our basement has an inch of water in it...I don't even want to go look. My workout room is down there, but fear not...the chin up bar is untouched!!

Briee (the extremely longwinded today)

Briee,
Sounds like you are doing a great job to me. Ya know, in the US we get so caught up on a certain curriculum for our children we forget that there are so many ways and opportunities to learn that don't fit the traditional. Your son sounds well rounded. And has developed skills that he can use the rest of his life. Keep up the good work!!!

:) :)
Catherine

Thanks for your encouragement Catherine. I literally loose sleep at night worrying that he won't be "prepared", yet he's such a great kid and has incredible "leadership" skills, but make him concentrate on details within his studies and I've lost him..arrrgh. This ones tougher for me than chinups and THEY ARE TOUGH!! Thanks again.

Oh those sets...I put about 4-6 minutes in between them. They are getting easier to complete and I'm not aching at all in my back anymore - just kind of a tight feeling.

Soosan, be very careful with injury. I think I noted before that when I first did close grip pullups I had the MOST severe case of tenosynovitus. I had to be cast and I was not to do anything for 6 weeks. Well...this was too much for me and I removed the cast myself at 3 and began on a much "gentler" level and worked up from there. Listen to that body and don't push too much. BUT never forget to get back at it after the rest!!

Also..after continuing the chinup/pullups in the P90X - I've never had a reoccurrence of this same injury. I just needed to get used to the stress placed on my wrists forearms.

briee

>Oh those sets...I put about 4-6 minutes in between them. They
>are getting easier to complete and I'm not aching at all in my
>back anymore - just kind of a tight feeling.
>briee

Thanks, I've noticed it's getting a tiny bit easier for me too. ***Notice I said a tiny bit***

Catherine

I have decided that the 2 sets negatives wide grip pullups I did Monday are responsible for some lingering tenderness in lats - OUCH! Totally found some deep muscles I never knew were there.

Wanted to say Briee, Catherine and Sooooooooooooosan you are awesome. I have the *attempts* on schedule tomorrow.:)

Melody you are so sweet. Let me say- I just came from where you are. You know I think my mental attitude has almost as much to do with doing these as the physical aspect. On days where I feel like "I can't" I don't do well. Days where "I can" is the attitude I do much better. Keep up your hard work and you'll be joining us soon!!!!

Also on those wide grips please be sure your palms are facing forward or away from you. It is my understanding that wide grips with palms facing you can result in injury. You may have already known this.

Catherine

ETA: BTW I did 2 sets of 2 today- tomorrow is legs and back

Thanks Catherine. I am doing them correctly.

Am I assuming correctly that the widegrip lat pulldown exercise is beneficial toward the pullup goal? When I work back and do the pullup negatives, I always do sets of lat pulldowns in addition to my Cathe weight w/o. I am slowly increasing the pulldown weight.

EDIT: BTW regarding that other thread and pikes....I'm so glad I live in the wilderness...;-)

I am sure wide grip lat pulldowns do help for pullups. But like chinups I think negatives are also great. I can not imagine me being able to do a pullup though. Oh no there's that negative thinking again. I'm sorry, what is it that Tony says " I currently strugle with pullups",....x( x(

Catherine

Briee, it's understandable that you are second-guessing your ability to homeschool your children, particularly when one of them is struggling with part of the curriculum. I'm sure you're doing a better job than you think. Sounds like he's a terrific kid with a lot going for him. How great is it that he's so comfortable getting up in front of and leading a group of people and that he's got all those practical skills? Is he having problems with other subjects as well as algebra? Is it a focus/concentration issue? Does he have a specific learning style that's not well-suited to the way he's being taught? Have you ever had him tested or thought about it? Does he know what he wants to do when he grows up?

And you're not long-winded. I think it's very interesting and I'm glad you brought it up.:)

>>Soosan, be very careful with injury. I think I noted before
>that when I first did close grip pullups I had the MOST severe
>case of tenosynovitus. I had to be cast and I was not to do
>anything for 6 weeks. Well...this was too much for me and I
>removed the cast myself at 3 and began on a much "gentler"
>level and worked up from there. Listen to that body and don't
>push too much. BUT never forget to get back at it after the
>rest!!
>
>Also..after continuing the chinup/pullups in the P90X - I've
>never had a reoccurrence of this same injury. I just needed
>to get used to the stress placed on my wrists forearms.
>
>briee
>
I remember when you had that, Briee. I'm definitely being careful to avoid injury. I still can't believe you can do so many of the darn things - I shouldn't even be speaking to you.:p

Briee -

I did not realize you homeschool. I also homeschool my 3 DS who are still at home. I read your above post and think you are probably wrongly second-guessing yourself. Most homeschooling parents do this on a regular basis - me included.

Hang in there. You DS and entire crew sound intelligent and self driven.:) I am constantly amazed at what my sons know that I had no idea they knew. The most important thing they have gotten out of homeschool thus far is the ability to learn - to know how to learn - to know how to find information and skills to do what they are interested in - if they want to know something they know where and how to find out about it. They love learning. That is a most valuable skill and it sounds as though your children own that one.

I truly loose sleep at night over my oldest. Soosan, it's not only algebra, I have a hard time getting him to concentrate on anything and I probably should have him tested. He is a ball of energy and I keep waiting for him to calm down. He was born like this. He would get up to nurse about 10 times per night (I'm not exagerating), he would never sleep for more than 20-30 minutes at a time, he was extremely bright in that he could say the alphabet and find all the letters on the keyboard when he was 22 months old. He said all of Psalms 23 when he was 24 months old and could memorize almost anything. BUT to get him to sit and study himself is almost like pulling teeth. I have to walk him through it. He has noted that when he reads something himself, it just doesn't make sense until I explain it in my own words. Although he reads long novels and he loves these. Doesn't make sense to me and I need to get some help. Thanks so much for all your support and encouragement. This was one of those things that's been on my mind and I've felt like a major failure with his studies latelyx( x( .

Melody, I didn't realize that you are homeschooling. I saw that your kids are interested in acting, by your pictures (wizard of oz). My ds - oldest - just tried out for a play with the Missoula Children's Theatre when they came to Lacrosse. He got the part of Robin Hood in the play Robin Hood. He had so much fun and got out all of his creative energy!! Check out their website, I bet your kids would have a blast doing something like this. I have something I need to send your kids from my oldest - just to give them a few creative ideas. Thanks again for your encouragement - it's very much appreciated!!

Briee

I would definitley have him tested. If he has a learning disability or some other challenge, there are specific teaching and learning strategies that would help you both and might make a huge difference in his academic success.

The real question is, though: how many pull-ups can he do?}(

>I have decided that the 2 sets negatives wide grip pullups I
>did Monday are responsible for some lingering tenderness in
>lats - OUCH! Totally found some deep muscles I never knew
>were there.
>
I hear ya on the tenderness, Melody!

>Wanted to say Briee, Catherine and Sooooooooooooosan you are
>awesome. I have the *attempts* on schedule tomorrow.:)

Thanks so much for the encouragement. You're doing a great job yourself. Did you notice nobody wanted to join our check-in for those not doing chin-ups? I guess we have to keep plugging away...

>>Oh those sets...I put about 4-6 minutes in between them.
>They
>>are getting easier to complete and I'm not aching at all in
>my
>>back anymore - just kind of a tight feeling.
>>briee
>
>
>Thanks, I've noticed it's getting a tiny bit easier for me
>too. ***Notice I said a tiny bit***
>
>Catherine

I wish it were the same for me! You guys are awesome!

I just saw this (I'm taking a week off, also!), and I agree that the best way to master them is to just do them, BUT, the idea of handstand pushups helping makes sense. It couldn't hurt, right?

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." Mark Twain ;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.