Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

Hey Jen, I'm really sorry to hear that you've had to change direction with your workouts for good, but I think that's what you need to do. I do hope you'll continue to check in with us for support and updates on your progress, in addition to sharing your expertise. It'd be great to hear how the circuit/MWT rotation progresses for you.

Nathalie, although I've really enjoyed the 2 KCM workouts that I've done so far - and I still have a couple more to try - I probably won't order her heavy lifting DVD just yet. I have a quite a stack of new KB (plus other types of) workouts that I want to work through. And I still have some Cathe's lifting DVDs that I haven't tried yet. I'm going to try real hard to not buy any DVDs for a while.

Ladies, have you tried a core workout using a kettlebell? I had major core DOMS when I did the core section of Paul Katami's Kettlebell Drills DVD the other week. :eek: I've previewed a couple of the AOS DVDs. I love them and can't wait to start the Clinic DVD. For the 2 workouts on that one, I love how you can choose the length of the rest periods and when you get to the end you can choose to play them all again or quit. Although at the moment I don't remember there being a warm-up or cool down/stretch on that DVD? I'll be trying to fit a KB workout in each week.

I've been wondering, when you start a new round of STS do you have to re-do the 1RMs? It seems to me you'd have to because of gaining strength by the end of Meso 3? I'm loving Meso 2 and only have a week left! I'm thinking Meso 3 couldn't be as fun as Meso 2. :p

Last week:
Sat: All Out Low Impact Hiit + Core
Sun: Sarah Lurie's Iron Core Kettlebell Vol.1. I used a 20lb KB; next time I want to use 25lb for the swings, 20lb for shoulder work.
Mon: STS Disc 22 CST
Tues: Step Moves
Wed: rest and fast for Ash Wednesday
Thurs: STS Disc 23 Legs + Dead Hang Challenge 35 sec. (to strengthen my grip)
Fri: STS Disc 24 BB + Dead Hang Challenge 35 sec.

Hi Ladies,

Hope you are well.

Yesterday: Afterburn I have now visited it about four time now and feeling comfortable. First time I felt it in my wrists. I am fine now. It's tough and intense.
Today: I did a double cycle max main program plus disc 16 chest, shoulders and triceps:):):) I had a great time. Then I went out central london to meet up with a friend.

To Mary: Thanks so much for your reviews. I will add Lauren Brooks and Paul Katami in future. I have decided the same for KCM. Will have to wait reviews on Heavy weights one. I have enough to get the boredom away. I won't add weight on my next STS round. I prefer to master the current weight load. I want to do two more rounds and after I will be just maintaining. I don't need to add more weight as I have gained a lot of muscle. :p:eek:

Thanks so much Mary on review below. It's thorough:

"I've previewed a couple of the AOS DVDs. I love them and can't wait to start the Clinic DVD. For the 2 workouts on that one, I love how you can choose the length of the rest periods and when you get to the end you can choose to play them all again or quit. Although at the moment I don't remember there being a warm-up or cool down/stretch on that DVD? I'll be trying to fit a KB workout in each week."

As to increasing STS weight at next round. Decide according to how your body feel. It's about causing stress on your body and recovering. If you feel the same workload will do the job go for it. otherwise re-do your rep max.

Personally I am not increasing on the next round. I still have one more week left on meso 2 then I am going to pyramid down meso 1. I did change my rep max after completing up to meso 3. therefore my weight load is accurate. It feels precise, perfect and feels fine for 1 minute rest. I know I should not favorite any cycle but I just love meso 2. I have been having so much fun. :p:):)

I have been on my bike twice. Love it love it. I should say my quads and my bike are getting on so well:D:D:D. Ladies I encourage you to plan and eventually invest ,if you can, on a bike. It does challenge legs in a different way. My heart was pounding, I was sweating bucket, my shoulders were shinning and my deltoid ended up in tears:D:D:D. I had to remember to have a towel with me all the time. I had a giggle when getting off the bike as I felt floating :D:D . Spinning is fun and challenging. quads, core, and glutes in action:):):).

To Jen: Thanks for sharing your views on KCM. I will pre-order the new KCM cardio interval only not the heavy weight one. I could not agree more on Cathe bringing fun and intensity. That is why most of us stick with her. I pretty much work out cathe at 98%. I am now "branching out" a little bit and still have some I have not tried as yet:eek::eek:. They are mainly intervals/circuits.

Your wrist need to recover. Hope you are feeling fine with all those dumbbells. If you are no longer aiming to add muscles, light to moderate is enough to maintain what you have gained at least till you get your wrist fully recovered.
Do not worry to much about not completing the cycle you can resume any time. You will need to take it easy for Hiit containing move such as push up, burpees etc...All those moves do add up and can exacerbate your wrist condition.

As to holiday, for us who work out more than 3 times, going away is not really an issue. we do not really put on weight. Last time I went on scale my weight was just little bit less compared to November december 2013. The week end away, christmas and meso 2 have not done a damage scale wise. Do not worry too much about going to chicago as long as you eat and track well before as always do.

I have a training tomorrow and will check in Monday.

Have a good week end Ladies,

Last edited:
Hello ladies,

I do miss the heavy lifting but I have been using this time to do all of my new workouts and re-visit favorites I haven't done in years. I am starting a kettlebell week next week, too. Mary, I did kettlebell core work this morning and it was tough! I did Brook Benten's Butts & Guts kettlebell workout. I haven't done it in years, but I remember last time I did it my glutes were screaming for days! We'll see if they respond the same way this time. I am stronger tho. I used my 15 pound kettlebell and I could definitely go heavier for most of the exercises. I need to get a 20 pounder now!

STS has put me in better shape than I expected. I did Tonique 2 yesterday and really expected my lower body to have some severe DOMS today... none. I couldn't believe it. I've also bee doing Jillian Michael's new Hard Body this week and I LOVE it, plus revisiting her 30 Day Shred as my doubles workouts. Still tough!

Unfortunately the wrist isn't getting better. And as I am subject to the way the US's insurance works, I am still waiting to see the neurologist. My insurance approved it, but I have to get the EMG before I can get the injections and the injections before surgery.... so who knows how long this will go on. :( Next week is my appointment for the EMG.

However, I will say, in spite of missing the heavy lifting, I am loving the circuit training/MWT stuff. It has always been my favorite and I do remember, when I did primarily circuit training is when I was at my leanest. So maybe I will finally lose those stubborn 10 pounds I have been trying to rid myself of forever. Already in just one week I've dropped 2 pounds without changing my diet.

Alright, I better go. Just wanted to drop by and say hi. Oh--I pre-ordered KCM's new workouts!

What are you up to?

Hi Ladies,

I have not checked in for a while, sorry. I have done all my workout with a slight tweak on my cardio planned Friday. I finished meso2 last week and I am looking forward to starting meso 1 on a pyramid. I decided to keep same cardio workout I had this month instead of the rotation I planned. My one rep max and notes are all prepared ready to start:):):)

So far, I have had fun and gained more muscles. I like the effect of lifting strength and especially hypertrophy on my skin. My skin complexion look more radiant and even. I am going to miss it:confused::p:eek:. I felt the intensity till the end of meso 2 last week. I decided not to increase the weight during my next STS cycle. I prefer to master the current weight load till failure no longer occur during the last two reps on some exercises. if I feel I am no longer challenged, I will definitely increase the weight.

I have added two cycling session cathe's cycle max to my rotation this week and my QUADS are recovering right now. I am having a full recovery tomorrow. I will be adding a kb session once per week as of Monday.

To Jen: Jen are you going to purchase the 10 minutes kb? I have not visited mine in years. I have just remembered I need to do it:eek::eek:It has been too long.

Sorry to hear about your wrist which is not getting better. Hope you get what you want from circuits. How do you track your food intake. Do you keep an online food diary or do you record everything manually. Everyone is into fitness pal but I have not been able to have my account activated. I must be doing something wrong signing up.

To Mary: How are you. I have not heard from you for a while. I am still waiting for AOS to hit my postal box. Here is what I am waiting for:

*)Art of Strength - Kettlebell Clinic DVD

*)Art of Strength - Newport DVD

*)The Kettlebell Way Volume 1 - The Kettlebell Way to Your Perfect Body DVD

I think I should start with the clinic. What do you think?

Next week rotation is:

• Monday: Afterburn plus Abs circuits weight and plates.
  • Tuesday: STS 12 100 Hip thrust 50 reverse lunge and cycle max.
  • Wednesday: STS 10 Chest, shoulders and triceps plus skogg system.
  • Thursday: Flextrain plus leg conditionning drill from LBB.
  • Friday: Cardio core circuits plus cycle Max.
  • Saturday: STS 11 Back and Biceps + upper body bonus PRS#1.

Hope to hear from you soon ;)

Goodness, I really meant to check in last week!

Last week:
Sat: AfterBurn
Sun: AOS Kettlebell Clinic - Elevation II (3 rounds-20lb KB; 1 round-25lb KB)
Mon: STS M2W4 x2 Disc 22 CST
Tues: Cardio Supersets + Amy Dixon Give Me 10 Core Cuts: Yoga Six Pack
Wed: STS M2W4 x2 Disc 23 Legs
Thurs: AOS Kettlebell Clinic - Pinnacle (3 rounds-20lb KB)
Fri: STS M2W4 x2 Disc 24 BB
Sat: STS M3W1 Disc 26 Plyo Legs
Sun: rest day

Nathalie, it's wonderful to hear you're enjoying your new bike! Yes, it does work you in a different way! A few summers ago I was doing quite a lot of outdoor cycling. When I came back to my DVDs later on, I tried Cathe's HiiT workout and I couldn't believe how much easier it was! Biking had really built up my endurance. I'm hoping to get a spinning bike someday. I'm not in a hurry for it right now though.

I'm loving AOS Kettlebells! Nathalie, I have the same ones you've ordered as well as Santa Monica. There are 2 workouts on the Clinic DVD. That is a very good place to start. (I'm planning on doing one of those again tomorrow.) From there I think The Kettlebell Way would be next. Newport looks the most challenging - more cardio/endurance based. If you enjoy these, you'll probably want Santa Monica too someday. It does incorporate Ropes (2 minute segments, I think) between the kettlebell/dumbbell/barbell rounds, but there is an option to play the workout without Ropes. I think it would work well to do HIIT drills during the Ropes sections. Today I was actually looking to see how many more AOS workouts are available. :D:D:D Unfortunately it looks like there are only a couple more. :( You know how my 17-yr-old DD has been doing STS with me? Well, now my 15-yr-old DS wants to do kettlebells with me. :D It's fun! I look forward to hearing your reviews on Skogg.

Jen, congratulations on losing a few pounds! I haven't lost any, but I've definitely firmed up. I'm really hoping to start shedding some fat after the STS phase for summer. Maybe I'll be able to control my carbs a little better after STS? I'd love to hear about KCM's Lifting DVD if you happen to preview it, when you do get it.

I finished Meso 2 last week and will not be taking a rest week until after week 2 of Meso 3. I took 2 different weeks off during Meso 2 from being sick and I'm not ready for a recovery week. Oh, and I will be doing only 4 weeks of Meso 3. So... I did my first Plyo Leg disc... loved it!... and today I did my first Squat Rack disc. It was very different from any workout I've ever done. I actually did the 1RM for this and had to go lighter on the squats. My worksheets said to use 121 lbs but I wasn't comfortable with trying that weight. I cautiously increased my weight through the warm-up sets and first 2 heavy sets til I got to 103 lbs and decided to remain there for the last 2 sets. No vest/weighted backback - this is how I'd like to do it. Those long rests made the workout feel not-very-worked, but tonight I'm feeling the effects. :eek: I love STS! I think I say that every week. :)

I'll try to check-in again sooner than later. :)

Last edited:
How are you doing ladies? I'm really enjoying Meso 3!

Last week:
Mon: STS M3W1 Disc 25 Chest & Back
Tues: Low Impact Challenge, love that cardio blast at the end!
Wed: STS M3W1 Disc 37 Squat Legs
Thurs: AOS Kettlebell Clinic: Elevation II (3 rounds) + Ruthless: Hardcore Abs & Arms
Fri: STS M3W1 Disc 27 Shoulders, Biceps, & Triceps
Sat: STS M3W2 Disc 29 Plyo Legs

I've been wondering how to categorize the 3 months following STS:

Gym Styles, 4 weeks: muscle building ?
Low Impact Series, 2 weeks: muscle endurance ?
4-Day Split, 4 weeks: muscle building ?
Shock Cardio, 2 weeks: cardio endurance/muscle recovery ?

What about Xtrain and using them as subs?
Xtrain Chest, Back, & Shoulders, Bi's & Tri's, Legs muscle endurance ?
Xtrain Burn Sets muscle building ?

I just guessed at these by looking at the Compendium pages. What do you think?

Last edited:
Hello,

I haven't really been stopping by much these days because I'm not doing STS and to be honest, I haven't even been doing Cathe workouts much! This week will be different tho--tomorrow is Tabatacise, then High Step Training Wed. , Crossfire on Thursday then Xtrain Legs on Friday. But I've been doing mostly other trainers--really mixing it up. Revisiting old favorites and trying lots of new. I am obsessively hoarding KCM workouts now. I own almost all of them and I LOVE them. I'm not going to say she beats Cathe in my book (she does not!) but she is a close second favorite. The versatility of her workouts is amazing! And the majority of them can grow with you! At first glance they seem not as advanced as Cathe, but once you increase your weight, they get very challenging! I am doing her strength ones now: Muscle Definition, Split Sessions and Weights and I am impressed! (I loved her circuit ones, too btw.) I am getting excellent workouts! She does a great job with upper body strength, not so great with lower body, tho her lower body Split Sessions workout is great. But the premixes! Between her and Cathe I have so many options! When I get her new workouts I'll post. I'm pretty excited!

And Nathalie--about the food diary. I keep a notebook. I have YEARS of handwritten notebooks tracking everything I eat and every workout I've ever done. The biggest problem is I forget to put the years on them. I really need to do that. I have the dates, but no years. It would be nice to know what I was eating or how I was working out in a specific year. I've tried the online ones (and the ones on my phone) but I don't like them. I like to just write it manually.

Hello Ladies,

Hope you are all well.

Jen: How is your wrist? Well done on your weight loss previously posted. I forgot to mention that at my last check in. It is good to re-visit old workout we have not been able to do. It is a good way of pushing the body for more adaptation and eventually a change/result gain.

As to KCM I am eyeing her workout as well. I did LIFT because I was very curious and it is the only one, I know of, olympic lifting dvd for home use. I liked it very much and will definitely re-visit it again. If you want to venture into olympic lifting try this one. When I heard about this dvd I knew it was for me. I like barbell and olympic lifting. The dvd is good taster of olympic lifting. I need to try the other segment:eek::p

For me Cathe will always be my number one. cathe's workout will always be my staples.

Jen hope your mother is doing well:):)

To Mary:

Sorry for the delay in aswering your question about Bodybuilding segments:

[*]Gym style is a hypertrophy with few high rep segment. Building phase.

[*]Low impact series: Triset is a hypertrophy if you lift between 65-80% of your one rep max, it was designed for hypertrophy.

[*]4DS: Same building phase hypertrophy.

[*]Shock cardio: Here is the "cutting" phase, muscle endurance. It's not a recovery as such:):):)

[*]X-train Burnset plus cardio leg blast are hypertrophy/Building program. The other lifting segment is high rep program for toning. You could use as part of cutting phase. I am thinking of extending the "cutting phase" for three weeks instead of two weeks. It is in my thoughts but I have not made my mind as yet.;):p

Strength and hypertrophy are the main basis of Bodybuilding not endurance. Sculpting results can be achieved from muscular endurance program but not building.:):) Building is all about increasing, adding and reshaping muscles.

I am still doing the pyramid and still have two weeks left of meso 1. I will post my rotation later on today or tomorrow. So far I am still feeling challenged:eek::p

Mary I still have not received my AOS goodies yet. I sent a message to their customer service and i received an e-mail back from the "Hunk himself Anthony diluglio" :D:D:D sent an e-mail regarding re-shipping my order;)

Hope to hear from you soon,

Will report more very soon,

Kind Regards,

This has been my past week:

Sun: STS M3W2 Disc 28 Chest & Back
Mon: Ruthless: Fast-Slow Circuit + AOS Kettlebell Clinic: Pinnacle (2 rounds)
Tues: STS M3W2 Disc 38 Squat Rack Legs
Wed: Power Max + Abs (I skipped the 3rd step segment, too tired :eek:)
Thurs: STS M3W2 Disc 30 Shoulders, Biceps, and Triceps (I love this one!)

Jen, I hope your wrist is doing well. I thing it's great that you are still able to do workouts. I've enjoyed every KCM that I've tried so far! I think too that she will be my second favorite after Cathe. Like Nathalie said, Cathe's workouts will always be my staples. Jen, did you know Kelly has rotations of her DVDs posted on her website? I just discovered this.

Remember when I said that I wouldn't be pre-ordering her (Kelly's) new DVDs? Well, I saw the clips for them yesterday and I ordered them both today! Although I won't be using a cardio machine for the circuits DVD, instead I'll probably do step drills (super sonic running mans, box lunges, etc) or maybe kettlebell swings. I think these DVDs will fit in nicely with the next 3 months of this rotation following STS.

Nathalie, thanks for your thoughts on the different DVD series. It's very helpful. So this spring and summer for the most part we'll continue to build some serious muscle, but in different ways! I like this!!! :D:D:D

I am now officially taking a rest/recovery week. No scheduled workouts starting tomorrow. My schedule is off -- but I've gone 4 weeks without a recovery week (and only 2 rest days in those 4 weeks). So I will be back after that.

Have a great week ladies!

Last edited:
I was actually going to post sooner, but I had KCM's LIFT scheduled for today, so I decided to wait until after I did it. And now that I did it, all I can say is WOW. That is a completely different workout from anything I've done before. I did both workouts this morning, one right after the other: Olympic Lifting and Powersculpting. They were both very challenging, but to be honest, Powersculting might have seemed harder than it actually was because Olympic Lifting wore me out! And that leads me to wrist update!

The EMG showed that I do not have carpal tunnel. So now I don't know what is wrong with it. It has gotten better--but still not 100%. Not sure Olympic Lifting should have been done today, but my wrist made it through the workout fine.

How are you doing? Are either of you going to Chicago? I haven't even perused the forum much. I am working overtime for the next month so I cannot do doubles. Just my morning workouts. This week is a mixture of KCM and Cathe--my two favorite trainers!

Hello ladies!

Well as you recall, I had my recovery week. We were on vacation that week visiting my parents in Florida. I did a couple of walk/runs with my DD, played plenty of ping-pong, and snorkeled a few times (once with manatees!) - a very different type of active recovery for me.

Jen, I didn't go to Chicago but was sooo close to the location during the event. We drove through southern Wisconsin on our way home from Florida on Saturday. Cathe's Chicago Road Trip (actually in Wisconsin) was not far from my childhood hometown. Mary's Total Fitness DVDs is in that area too.

I'm glad to hear that your wrist is continuing to improve. It must be a little frustrating not knowing what the problem is though.

How are you Nathalie? Have you had a chance to try out any AOS DVDs yet? Doing Squat Rack Legs and kettlebells keeps my lower back pretty sore so I've put kb's on hold until after STS -- which I should be finished with by Easter next week! Where are you at with STS Nathalie? Have you just finished?

This is what I did last week:
Sun: Kelly Coffey-Meyer Plateau Buster: Harder Mix 1
Mon: STS M3W3 Disc 31 Chest & Back
Tues: Rest day (felt crappy!)
Wed: STS M3W3 Disc 39 Squat Rack Legs
Thurs: CTX 10-10-10 Warm Up and Aerobics only + Ab Circuits: Stability Ball Abs
Fri: STS M3W3 Disc 33 Shoulders, Biceps, & Triceps
Sat: STS M3W3 Disc 32 Plyo Legs

I love Plyo Legs. Squat Rack Legs, though, is pretty hard on my lower back. I'm on my last week of STS and am looking forward to Gym Styles! Five months of STS is a long time but it flew by quickly and I will enjoy coming back to it in 3 months.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Hello Ladies! It seems like this check in is starting to die out. :( I wish I was able to be more active. But the good news is, as of this week, my wrist seems to be finally almost back to normal! I don't want to push it and set myself back, so I am not jumping back into STS. I am going to give myself a few more weeks then move into Gym Styles I think.

Looks like you're doing great Mary! When do you start Gym Styles? Maybe we'll be doing it same time. And I love Plyo Legs, too. They are some of my favorite workouts. Since I discovered KCM I feel overwhelmed sometimes. Between Cathe and KCM I have SO MANY workouts I love, I struggle to figure out how to put together rotations with them all. Too much of a good thing!

Where are you in the rotation Nathalie?

Hi Jengoff
I was reading the post and saw you was deciding on a circuit/ MWT rotation and you have lost 2 pounds!
Wonderful!
I follow y'all's check in at times to learn about lifting and eating and fat loss. Well I have been doing a HIIT two a week and lifting heavy and I finally am getting to see some muscles! But now I want to lose some weight. So I can be leaner it is hard to explain but I have gone down a pants size actually maybe two really but I still have a chunky look. So I was hoping to get a sample of the rotation you did ? I have all of Cathes DVDs and a lot of KCM! I also have kick box burn by Patrick I love it!!
I love KB that Cathe does and I read a review u did on kickbox burn and you were right !! Looovved it! So I was wanting to check in here once in a while but was not sure if I'd fit in because I saw u mention it was dying down, and I am not lifting as heavy as u girls! I'd love to but not there yet as I probably need to lose weight more first. I'm on Fb also. I'm sure you guys heard my posts before I post a lot lol. Well I used to, I think I have backed off some.
But I'd love some advice and a sample rotation or some motivation? I motivate people but I'm starting to feel unmotivated myself. So any thing y'all can say would be great!!

Resume Checking in--- No dwindling enthusiasm

Hello Ladies,

Yes I have not been checking in and I don't want the check in to die. Let's just all resume checking in as frequent as possible to motivate each other.

Since my last check in I got a little bit distracted and excited at the same time:p:):). I started a new contract job about two weeks ago and had to reschedule my working out time. This means I am going to have to start my day earlier. Possibly 4:30am to ensure I get everything done by 9pm lol.:D:D What I find difficult is to go to bed early. Friends tend to call late and I need to find the most kind/polite way of getting off the phone lol:eek::D. Other news is I am going to have to travel to Paris on busines trip. I will have to purchase cathe's travel :)mad:should have added this one...Grrr). I am taking my laptop with me and Hiit dvd with elastic band. I will be going to local gym too. I will report on here on what I am up to;););). Business trip will last 11 weeks or 12. After that I will be resuming from Gym style too. I will have to keep myself well away from crème brûlée and waffles:D:D:D. My food selection will have to remain healthy and sensibly proportionate.

To Mary: I have not tried out AOS yet. Did two sessions of skogg but will report when I do more. So far I love it very much. Michael is really good and precise in delivering instructions. I will report on both later on. I know I will love both. I am intending to do cardio base kb then build up to hypertrophy to compliment various cathe heavy program. I will be using kb for some explosives/Hypertrophy drills. Mary did you order kcm? Finally I ordered both:D:D. Well I am waiting and dying of curiosity;)

To Jen: So happy to hear your wrist is gaining back full health. This is great news. Giving yourself extra time is for the best.

To Renee: let us all know, posting here, what type of rotation you are after. Do you want the fat loss one? Thanks for checking in. Feel free to come back interacting with us.:):):)

Since last time I checked in I:

• Last week meso1 on a pyramid. Jen I completed the pyramid and It was intense and fun. Loved it :))
  • Week cardio absolutely no weight with long steady pace PRS #1 and 2, cycling 3 cathe's pedals. Fun fun fun.
  • Lastly I had a week of no activity at all.

Ladies are you subscribing to any of new cathe's services. I will be joining cathe's live subscribers. Although I will be busy with work, I will keep my enthusiasm for fitness check in as often as I can, sharing articles as usual;);).
I might miss few discussion grr:mad:

Before I conclude this post here something I would like to share ;-)
Benefits of Lifting Heavy | FitnessRX for Women

Hope you to hear from you ladies. Mary let us know how you are doing with Gym style. I am here to hear from you all. Have fun ladies.

I am travelling to Paris Monday the 28th and will report at least once per week.

Kind Regards;)

Natalie
That is great on the new contract job! I know how it can be rescheduling workout times! It can be difficult! I used to get up at 4 to get everything in and I don't know how I managed that! I would not be able to now! I am not a morning person lol!

Well I was hoping to get your alls expertise and honest opinion to tell me what I need. I am 44 now I had always been chunky till AFTER I had my kids lol I lost 70 pounds at 23 yrs old because I wanted to be a good example for them. Back then it was eating fruits and veggies and low fat and exercise I did lift but it was light weights it took two years but I went from 170 to 100 now I know I can't get there again nor do I wish to.
I had some set backs in life the past seven years I gained 50 back! So in the last two years I have tried to regain my health after taking care of mom and other things.
Well I found Cathe and I started doing low max and I did lose a few pounds not much but I then started lifting and it sounds crazy but I actually started seeing some arms ! Instead of a burrito Looking arm I had a muscle when I flex! I also have noticed I am down two pants sizes but gee it took this long to do! U can get on Fb and see my pic I posted on Cathe wall of me lately. I feel I still look like a chunky so I am not sure what I am in need of and I'm confused! I hear people say to do the gaining muscle phase then cutting phase.. What? How can you control that so precise ? Do you all know how to ? Can you tell me in simple ways? I do read a lot but I must say most thing is contradicting articles or to get the "secret" you have to pay this or that. I read Cathes articles and do a lot of what she says and that is how I have come this far. So do I keep lifting heavy and eat the same and do what I'm doing or do I do a rotation like Jen was talking about MWT and circuit or add more cardio, I like to add a jogging day in there to.
So here is my stats I am only 5 ft 1 and a half in tall my last weigh in was four weeks ago and I was 136 that's way better then 150! And I am into a size 6 petite pants some 8's depends and my shirts are mediums. I was in a large and x large and my pants was a 10 and some 12 ! So I think there have been some change. But my problem is I have cottage cheese look on my arms when they are not flexed! Yuk and like I said they are still chunky and I'm flabby still. Should I go a head and do a round of STS with Jogging? Or cardio added?
This is not considered highjacking a thread is it? If it is I am sorry! I hope not I would just like to get your opinion and I love reading all of your progress and you motivate me to keep going in spite of the hard times I have been having !! I hope you girls don't mind!

Hi Renee,

No I am cool. You're not highjacking the thread :))

I have seen your picture on fb. Good looking arms.

I will post my thoughts on future rotation later.

Keep in touch ;-)

Hello Renee and welcome! I had to go back through the posts to see the date I posted about MWT and weight loss. I can post my rotation for that time period, but there are a lot more trainers than Cathe and KCM in it.

Mon: KCM Shape Up (both workouts premix) + Jillian Michael's Killer Buns & Thighs 3
Tues: Cathe Intensity + Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred 2
Wed: KCM Circuit Burn (both workouts premix) + ab bonus + Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred 3
Thurs: Cathe's Butts and Guts + Toby Massenburg's Max Sculpt
Fri: KCM Bootcamp (both workouts premix) + Toby Massenburg's Max Cardio
Sat: Patrick Goudeau Lean Hot Body
Sun: Rest

That is just one week, however. I have weeks where I am doing more tabata/HIIT and total body workouts like Flextrain--then I have weeks like this made up of lots of circuit training/MWT and other weeks where all I want to do is kickboxing for my cardio. Now that I am not doing STS and just creating my own rotations week to week, I can go with themed weeks, which is fun. For instance, I already have the entire month of May mapped out. We have a week long vacation the last week in May then when we get back, I'm going to try to jump back into the body building rotation with Gym Styles. But a themed week I have coming up that I am pretty excited about is an Ilaria Montagani week where all I do are her workouts which are MWT and kickboxing. Here is that week (haven't done it yet--it's for the 2nd week in May):

Mon: Atletica 1 + Bodystrikes 1
Tues: Powerstrike (4) + Atletica 4
Wed: Atletica 2 + Bodystrikes 2
Thurs: Powerstrike 5 + Atletica 4
Friday Atletica 3
Sat: Powerstrike 6
Sun: Rest

I also have a Michelle Dozois PeakFit week planned. I'm having a lot of fun revisiting old favorites while I let my wrist heal.

And yes! I adore Heather Condorf/Patrick Goudeau's Kickbox Burn. That is the very best cardio kickboxing workout I have ever come across. Do you know Heather emailed me about the review! I was so surprised she even came across it--the day after I posted it! She thanked me for it and told me she does have other workouts but they are digital. They are called Moxie: Heather Corndorf | Heather C Fitness . I am downloading them on payday and burning them to DVDs.

I am not good at motivating people and I'm not sure why. I know it sounds silly but working out has become such an intrinsic part of my life that I cannot understand why anyone wouldn't try to do it, so I don't have a lot of patience for excuses. My job is to read medical records all day for people who say they cannot work because of their physical or mental impairments and 80% of those people are obese and sedentary. And THAT RIGHT THERE motivates me more than anything to never stop moving every day. And to continue my never-ending fight (for me that is) to eat better. I know other people eat well all the time with little problem but it is a battle for me. I eat excellent M-F, but come the weekend, all my food-pusher husband wants to do is eat. So my battle is in the kitchen, not the gym.

I don't have a secret. I have a lot a muscle, but I still have a layer of fat that I cannot get rid of. Well, I could if I ate better but see above paragraph.... However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder--my husband doesn't see the fat I see on my body. He swears I have body dysmorphic disorder. I don't think I do. I think I am critical of myself but the fat is real, trust me. So you have to ask yourself what you are striving for? Perfection? Comfort? Who are you trying to please and who are you comparing yourself to? If it is Cathe or fitness models, diet plays a huge role. Don't misunderstand, they workout hard too--but you would never see that awesome definition without the work in the kitchen. That is my failing. I know I have an 6 pack abs in there somewhere, covered with fat. But I am not working to reveal that. What I strive for is comfort. My husband is more than happy with me, so I just want to be comfortable with myself again--which means losing the 10 pounds I've managed to gain over the past few years. I actually used to be comfortable in my body--10 pounds ago. So I know that is the weight/size for me. I want it back. But apparently not enough to eat properly in restaurants.

Nathalie--no, I am not subscribing to Cathe's new services. I like the ideas in theory but I don't have the equipment. My workout room has a tv and a DVD player--its not set up for streaming from the internet. Plus I own so very many workout DVDs already that I love and struggle to do as often as I can (I want to do every single one of them every single day!) But you'll have to let us know what you think. I have noticed that a lot of trainers are creating download or streaming versions of their workouts and some (like Heather Condorf) that is all they are doing right now (probably because it is cheaper).

Congrats on the new job! I have been working overtime the entire month of April--so no doubles for me. I hate it when I don't get to do my doubles. But last week was my last week of overtime for a while so I can start doubles up again tomorrow! Sounds like maybe we will be doing Gym Styles the same time? I'll be starting the first week of June I think

Ladies, I am happy to see the renewed enthusiasm with this check-in. Renee, it's so nice to see you here, I hope you continue to join us.

Jen, it's really great to hear you'll be continuing with Gym Styles! Yay!! Your rotations really do look fun. I'll do a new workout just once and never get back to it. Recently I did Kickbox Burn (it was a little tricky for me) and today I did Kari Anderson's Sweat Express II both for the first time. With these and some other trickier ones, I feel like I need to do them once a week for at least 3 weeks in order to "get" them completely, where coming back to do it again later would feel comfortable. I can do a Cathe rotation, no problem; someday I'll have to try a non-Cathe rotation. :eek:

Nathalie, congratulations on the new job and the trip to Paris! How exciting! You are quite a busy gal. Like Jen, I'm not subscribing to Cathe's streaming either, I'd like to just stay with DVDs for as long as I can. But I did cave and ordered both KCM. We should be getting them soon. :D

Renee, we are about the same size in clothing. I'm 5'0" and around 140. I was 93 at high school graduation, 103 when I finished college and, having 5 kids, very slowly got up to 168 about 10 years ago. My youngest is 11. One day it just dawned on me how much I had gained and I started exercising and cleaning up my diet. Anyway, I'd really like to know how to get rid of the fat layer too! Have you ever completed the STS program, Renee? As you may know, I did the 5 month and although I did not lose any weight, I gained muscle and a lot of strength. I'm beginning to see a little definition for the first time ever -- especially in the arms and shoulders and upper abs (I haven't really looked at my backside). With STS my whole body is harder/firmer, more muscular. My jeans have gotten slightly looser, my tummy flatter, and my upper back a little wider. I love it! This body building rotation is kind of like an experiment to me, to see what 11 months of muscle building will do for me. I'm thinking it will only get better. I'm concentrating primarily on weight training and secondary on cardio, though I do love it all. For example, if I have to skip a day or two, I skip the cardio. I'm working on the theory that muscle burns fat and I hope that will work for me. :D I'm interested in what Nathalie has to say too.

Jen, I like what you said about what we are striving for. For me it's comfort and health, perfection? no way! too much work. I'm pretty comfortable with where I'm at right now. I'm in the size 6-8 range, my goal was a solid 6, so I'm getting close. Sure I'd love to lose 10-20 pound of fat - but it's really hard to eat strictly. My husband also likes me where I'm at. He doesn't want me to get thin -- not that I could, I don't like being hungry. I will continue to aim to get stronger and lose fat, but I'm enjoying the journey along the way.

I will post about my rotation soon...

Last edited:
Yes that's what I'm talking a solid 6 not maybe 6 lol!
I know I will never be a supermodel don't want to be. I want to be comfortable in my skin at my age. I want to be able to put on cloths in my closet I have now that I bought a year ago and they fit! It seemed when my mom was I'll I'd get a pair of pants put them on they fit three weeks later I could not button them! So depressing! I want to be healthy I quit smoking two and a half years ago by the grace of God ! It was hard but I knew I needed to stop. I love feeling healthy just two years ago it was hard to even do a side lunge fast and an air jack or a tuck jump or even a burpee. I was stiff even now I have come along way ! Range of motion is better, my back does not hurt, I don't feel 60 years old like I did or even 44 I feel 30 so I am grateful for where I am now. But I do have about 15 pounds to go. Really to be at the right weight 25 but like I don't care at this point about weight because I don't mind 10 pounds over at all! What I want is just some definition that shows more. So humm I guess that is fat loss?
Thanks for the welcome guys!

No I have not even been able. To do STS I started to do it in Sept when a really awful tragedy hit our family that made it impossible for me to concentrate on StS. But I did keep doing something. I had to or I would have lost my mind. You guys may have read about it already so I didn't want to mention it if you already know and bring the mood down. I'm doing okay though as good as can be.
Jen yes that is my thing I can exercise like a crazy lady it is the eating that gets me but I try to keep it clean. I do eat way better then most but it can be better! Yes u reminding me of all that is motivating! Cause that is what motivates me now! It drives me nuts to see some people u know have illnesses that are directly related to what they eat and they complain about it!! Or they will ask me what to do and I usually shut up till they ask then I get excited and try to help and loan out DVDs and educate on what works for me just to see them eating donuts and them not use the DVDs I gave them! Makes me irritated. I know it's hard but they will complain again later and I'm nice I try to be but sometimes idk. Like I said I'm not perfect but I am trying and putting an effete in it.
My DH he will say something like I wish I could go run like u do but he complains he is getting old or feeling old, I was too not to long ago! But he likes to drink beer ALOT so while I jog he is drinking and I just try to be motivating and not nagging, and just say you can !! I felt that way to but exercise helps I promise and I ask all the time you want to go with.. ?? But idk. I know what you mean! Thanks for the reminder!! See.., you DID motivate!! All three of u did! Lol
Today I did muscle max upper body and worked outside planting flowers

Hi ladies. I would like to join in and keep the check in alive as well. I have actually been following the thread from day 1 and Jen has given the nudge I needed to finally comment. I plan on following the bodybuilding rotation as well. I completed the rock bottom rotation in February and then started STS in March. I'm now about to start the second week of Meso 2. This is my second go at STS. The first time I was doing the 5 month rotation but only finished the double weeks of Meso 2. This time around I have also been doing UY as an evening double. However, I attended the Chicago road trip, took it easy the week of, had to use the following week to recuperate and have had a hard time getting back on schedule since. I usually do weights MWF and today was D15 Back & biceps.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.