Anyone else on fence about ordering Ripped w/HiiT?

I have to comment, too. My "issues" are not related to knee problems or arthitis exactly, but I was hit by a drunk driver in 2009 and have 12 screws and 2 plates in each foot. I was told during my recovery period by my orthopedic surgeon that it was unlikely I would ever be capable of doing high impact anything again. But I am doing HIIT and plyo every week. And I was jumping again a little over a year after the accident--which was a big surprise to my surgeon. He was quite impressed and chalked it more up to my motivation to recover. I'm not going to lie and say I have no problems with my feet--I do have the normal resisual arthritis everyone gets from a severe injury like that, but it does not stop me from exercising, and I believe the exercising helps with the arthritis issues.

I spent a lot of time after the accident reading about bones and arthritis and such--so that I could take care of my feet (and the rest of my body) properly. Everything I read said impact was good and necessary for strong bones and joints. So I became determined to strengthen those bones rather than let them deteriorate further. So I spent the time to gradually work my way back up to being able to do plyometrics again. 5 years post accident and I can do every single plyo move Cathe and Shaun T do without a single modification.

Anyway--just thought I'd share because it is possible--even with 12 screws and 2 plates in each heel to jump pretty high.

And I of course pre-ordered Cathe's new workouts the first day they were available for pre-order.

I am 67 and still do a bit of impact, but osteoarthritis in my knees is due to deteriorating cartilage, and a lot of impact would increase that deterioration. My bones are good--no signs of osteoporosis in my latest bone density test. I just refuse to risk the pain of bone on bone with a lot of all-out jumping, so I prefer workouts that give me the option offered by a modifier. I bought a few of these, but cannot imagine buying the workouts with a lot of jumping as the basis of intensity. I love the LIS series and do all of them.

Anyway--just thought I'd share because it is possible--even with 12 screws and 2 plates in each heel to jump pretty high.

And I of course pre-ordered Cathe's new workouts the first day they were available for pre-order.

WOW, Jen. What an inspiring story of recovery and perseverance. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa

I know most people like to blame their bad knees and hip on too much running or high impact aerobics, but research doesn't support this.

The people hobbling around town are not doing so because of too much Plyo aerobics, their problems are more likely related to body inflammation, obesity, lack of plyo and resistance exercise and other causes.

We have some excellent Blog post articles on this subject, including this one that you might find interesting: http://cathe.com/the-effect-of-high-impact-exercise-on-knee-health

I love most of Cathe's high impact moves & what they have done to improve my CV fitness, strength, and overall stamina in daily life activities. The liitle aches and pains I started to feel in my forties disappeared when I started the plyometrics in Cathe's programs. I look forward to seeing how Cathe is mixing it up...the music, the premixes, the crew, the outfits...all of it is very motivating and I have been pre-ordering for some time now!

I am on the fence after seeming last weeks Hiit clips ! For the last year, I been suffering from bad case of PF and a heal spur. I already had 3 cortisone shots in my right heal for PF. Last year I couldn't do any cardio, not even walking. I thought I was going crazy from my PF/heal spur. I used to run a few times a week, haven't ran in over a year. Every time I do Cathe's high impact workouts or any other high impact my PF flairs up . My right foot can't take all the high impact. It doesn't feel good to do all that jumping with a swollen heal;) You are not gonna strengthen your already swollen heal by jumping on it. I still use Cathe's weight workouts. I miss her cardio, but can't do them anymore. I also prefer workouts with a modifier shown. It doesn't matter what issues you have, we are all different. What feels good to you, doesn't mean it feels good to me or is good/right for me. There isn't a size fits all. JMO! Hiit workouts and Plantar fasciitis doesn't mix.

Belinda,
For 2 years I also had/have PF issues. After a year of staying grounded, I found that I was able to do short blasts of impact (Tabatacise) as long as I didn't get too much air. I can also do Cardio Leg Blast with slight modifications (I used the discs for some moves). I did not opt for cortisone shots; instead, I massage/foam roll the bajeebers out of my calf, most specifically trying to get to the soleus. I read quite a bit about trigger points and found out that the soleus is connected to the bottom of the foot and can be the cause of PF. Last month (2 years after the onset of my PF) I realized that I NO LONGER had the PF issues and had quite unconsciously started to be more aggressive with impact moves. I was even able to do step routines that used to aggravate my foot. I still need to be careful and give my calves a lot of TLC, but I feel that the GRADUAL re-introduction to impact/HIIT contributed to my PF resolving itself. I hope that someday you can get relief from your PF...you are so right when you say what works for some doesn't work for others. I sympathize with you for how debilitating the pain can be :(.

Thanks Nancy! I hope one day I can do all the high impact again. I haven't done any high impact in over a year, keep everything low impact. I didn't wanted to get 3 cortisone shots in my heal, I had no choice.I think mine made it worst since I had a heal spur on top with the PF. I tried everything from rolling/icing, massaging, getting therapy. I also wore a boot for awhile. When I wore the boot, my Achilles tighten up every more. You name it, tried it all before I got the shots. I had no problem with the first 2 shots. The 3rd one, really did me in. I wouldn't get the shots anymore, after what I been through with the 3rd shot. I saw 3 different doctors before I made I made my choice. The thing was, I couldn't do anything by myself anymore. My doc(Army doctor he is more for the natural approach.) tried trigger points on my foot for weeks, nothing helped. I also give my calves a lot of TLC. Barre workouts doesn't aggravate my foot, weird hah? A few weeks ago I tried Tabatacise for the first time, I had to stop after 15 min. It's that jumping up and down that aggravates my foot. You are giving me hope, maybe someday I can do high impact again. Thanks for your kind words.

Sorry to hear about the heel problems bayerngirl, what was the cause? lots of high impact or the running? No experience with PF, can't help. Hope it gets better.

I was kind of on the bleachers for these workouts, but after getting more info & workout descriptions I think they're making a break for top of the list, how'd she do that? The contrast training sounds interesting, and the circuits. It's kind of my year for trying new things...

I ordered because I love circuit workouts. I just did Cardio Leg Blast, which I love so much. I cannot wait for these new dvds.

Thank you, 112toGuru! I really don't know what caused it? Maybe it was from running, maybe it was from high impact? I agree, the contrast training sounds interesting, and the circuits. I am afraid they collect dust and sitting on the shelf with all my other dvd's.

And the high-jacking continues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still loving it though. People talk about injuries and how they get sidelined because of them. Terrible, horrible injuries that can rock your whole world or sometimes just your 'working out' world. But looky looky - here's hope that they don't always last forever! and some people can recover or at least continue working out with modifications.

Which brings me to the reason for this post. Sometimes I want to do a Cathe workout that has high impact moves in it, but for some reason I can't or won't or just don't feel like doing the high impact that is in it. So, - I make myself the modifier!!!!!!! Yes, crazy, I know - but , I also know I'm probably not the only one that does it. :p I pretend Cathe mentions my name ,
"See Shereta for modifications to this move." Oh, I start smiling or (laughing) as I pretend all eyes and camera are on me! Instead of jumping jacks, I might do ponies side to side (do yall remember those?), or side steps with big wide arms. I love it. It keeps me energetic. keeps my heart rate up and allows me to finish the workout.

Yep, I really am Cathy-greedy.

Have you done any of the Cathe live? When you watch the people in the class, there are lots of different modifications going on. But I think it's great because we are all still there, still working out, and trying out best. I am Cathe-greedy too.

Which brings me to the reason for this post. Sometimes I want to do a Cathe workout that has high impact moves in it, but for some reason I can't or won't or just don't feel like doing the high impact that is in it. So, - I make myself the modifier!!!!!!! Yes, crazy, I know - but , I also know I'm probably not the only one that does it. :p I pretend Cathe mentions my name ,
"See Shereta for modifications to this move." Oh, I start smiling or (laughing) as I pretend all eyes and camera are on me! Instead of jumping jacks, I might do ponies side to side (do yall remember those?), or side steps with big wide arms. I love it. It keeps me energetic. keeps my heart rate up and allows me to finish the workout.

Lol! Hysterical! Loved this!!!!!

My biggest question in ordering this series was DVDs or downloads. I finally chose downloads to put on my tablet when I travel but now seeing what the options for premixes might be I'm kinda wishing I had ordered DVDs! BTW- I sold my P90X in order to buy this series and its looking like I'm going to get the better end of that deal!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.