Anyone else on fence about ordering Ripped w/HiiT?

gonnabea5

Cathlete
I can't believe I just posted that question. But i did.

All the other Cathe workouts are still so much fun and effective. Do I need more? No. Do I want more? Yes! OMG! I'm so on the fence.

Somebody, help me!

I can't believe I just posted that question. But i did.

All the other Cathe workouts are still so much fun and effective. Do I need more? No. Do I want more? Yes! OMG! I'm so on the fence.

Somebody, help me!
I probably don't need another workout for the rest of my life. However, I couldn't resist, and somehow my credit card was levitating above my computer. Always looking for a different tweak in working out. Different tempo, different time under tension, so many workouts, so little time. You could always say "A devil, named Karen made you do it!"

I never planned on purchasing the full set. I just can't do high impact stuff anymore. Which all the current leg workouts are pylo/leg stuff and then the high impact cardio. I will more than likely ended up with the upper body weight work and the low impact hiit. I really wish I could buy a whole set and actually get to use them all. I guess I could buy at the discount price but then I would end up with a lot of stuff I just can't use. I'm to anal to have shelf of stuff I can't use LOL I have some stuff I modify but it really makes a workout more fun if your actually doing the workout cathe or whatever instructor is doing. I hope that since a few of Cathe crew actually may admit they are getting older LOL I get Cathe maybe 50 and she does have the nice aerobic floor and from previous video looks likes she has already had some knee surgery. I would rather step back a bit instead of heading to future surgery. I believe Brenda has had hip surgery. I do like Cathe low impact workouts but not having all with a modifier limits what I purchase..

This is not a cathe bash she must be successful with the status quo so I'll just pick and choose those workouts that work for me.

I never bought into the pre-sales....until I realized that I eventually end up buying ALL the dvd's one by one!!! And that's just silly. I have no problem giving the dvd's I don't use to a friend....But that's really rare! I guess I'm Cathe greedy that way. For me it's fiscally responsible to get the pre-sale. ;)

I never planned on purchasing the full set. I just can't do high impact stuff anymore. Which all the current leg workouts are pylo/leg stuff and then the high impact cardio. I will more than likely ended up with the upper body weight work and the low impact hiit. I really wish I could buy a whole set and actually get to use them all. I guess I could buy at the discount price but then I would end up with a lot of stuff I just can't use. I'm to anal to have shelf of stuff I can't use LOL I have some stuff I modify but it really makes a workout more fun if your actually doing the workout cathe or whatever instructor is doing. I hope that since a few of Cathe crew actually may admit they are getting older LOL I get Cathe maybe 50 and she does have the nice aerobic floor and from previous video looks likes she has already had some knee surgery. I would rather step back a bit instead of heading to future surgery. I believe Brenda has had hip surgery. I do like Cathe low impact workouts but not having all with a modifier limits what I purchase..

This is not a cathe bash she must be successful with the status quo so I'll just pick and choose those workouts that work for me.

A little myth busting here. I know it's a widely held belief by many that Plyo activities cause most knee issues, but research doesn't back this up and in fact shows the opposite in many cases. Plyo is one of the things you need to develop stronger bones. Without weight bearing activities and a certain amount of stress you will lose bone mass. Sitting too much for most people is a much bigger cause of knee issues than Plyo aerobics.

Lack of stress on bones is a major problem for astronauts staying on the international space station and a reason why they lose bone mass. Likewise, lack of stress on your bones back on earth is a problem too. I know most people like to blame their bad knees and hip on too much running or high impact aerobics, but research doesn't support this.

You mentioned Cathe and Brenda and problems they have had, but you have some of the facts wrong which paint a different picture when you know them. It is true that Cathe has had two knee operations, one major (torn ACL) and one minor (Plica Band) operation. The major operation wasn't caused by high impact aerobics. Instead it was caused by a low impact activity (skiing). Cathe's other knee operation was a problem with her plica band. Though the cause is unknown, her problem was probably caused by twisting and turning or a change in here gate caused by the first operation.

Everyone's frame will change for the worse with age, but Cathe at the age of 50 can still out jump and out run most 20 year old's. If Cathe could go back in time and eliminate high impact aerobics from her life she would not be better off than she is after doing Plyo for over 30 years. If you watch Cathe Live you will see several class participants that are in their 60's that have been taking Cathe's class for over 30 years and they're still doing just fine and in much better health than those who haven't done Plyo classes. The people hobbling around town are not doing so because of too much Plyo aerobics, their problems are more likely related to body inflammation, obesity, lack of plyo and resistance exercise and other causes.

Also, Brenda's injury was also not related to Plyo aerobics. She was injured in a Triathlon. Brenda just competed again a few days ago in another Iron Man competition and did very well. She too is in far better shape from doing Plyo activities than those in her age group that do not do high impact exercises.

At our health club, where we see up to 1000 people in a day, and have done so for over 30 years, we also don't see evidence that people who do Plyo activities have more knee issues than those who don't. This is further backed up by some studies on runners that show no evidence that runners have more knee issues than non-runners. Though high impact exercise is often blamed for causing knee problems there are other factors that are more likely to cause osteoarthritis. If you have osteoarthritis, talk to your doctor before doing high-impact exercise, but high impact exercise in moderation appears to be beneficial for those that don’t suffer from severe osteoarthritis.

I don't know in your case if you have osteoarthritis, but if you do you will certainly need to find alternatives to high impact exercise. I just don't want people to think there is a cause-effect relationship to Plyo aerobics and knee problems. It's one of those myths that seems to stick in our industry.

We have some excellent Blog post articles on this subject, including this one that you might find interesting: http://cathe.com/the-effect-of-high-impact-exercise-on-knee-health

Hope this helps bring a better understanding to this subject.

I have to agree. I find that with some of the low impact moves, esp. discs, don't agree with my knees. I had my first knee surgery at 17 yrs old. I never feel anything uncomfortable with high impact, either during or after.

That's very true. Just because an exercise is low impact doesn't mean it can't aggravate your knees. Some people, like you, are fine with Plyo movements while twisting low impact moves cause problems. Latin styled aerobics for some people can be an issue because of the twisting on the knee that occurs even though the movement is low impact. Torque, impact and number of repetitions all come into play as factors that can cause knee and joint issues.

I do not have knee issue but I do have ankle/foot issues that I promise no high impact will feel good LOL I could continue pylo stuff until my ankle tendons rupture. I then could get surgery and maybe do pylo again but would rather just follow my orthopedic sports surgeons recommendations. Still enjoy the cathe workouts I am able to do but do appreciate that as this is a site with many readers you wanted to get your message across why pylo may not be an issue for others. I also can see you wanting to make clear that Cathe or Brenda medical issues would not be related to her workouts. I would of quoted the administrator response but it was blocked from being quoted

I think my thread got Jacked!!!! lol. just kidding. This is the best high-jacking I've ever seen. This is great info and I'm so glad Admin chimed in!

I just turned 49, and kicked butt on 5 workouts so far this week which included 40/20, Rockout Knockout and Cardio Lower Body from Xtrain this week. No issues at all. I know the more I stress my body the better it performs. Crazy..... I know. But Cathe's variety of dvds truly does give something for everyone.

Now, back to the original request..... You all have shown me a little of myself in all the responses. Who said something about being "Cathe Greedy"? Yeah that's me!! Cause I'll be ordering tomorrow. :p

gonnabea5, I had to read your thread! I did preorder Ripped w/HiiT and was asking myself this week if I should have done it. My knees were screaming this week. Been doing the 90 Xtrain/low impact rotation. I had some knee discomfort after the first week, but this week was bad. I do not want to give up on some of the high impact or high intensity I enjoy.

Then reading firemedic's post, I realized that the sliding discs are the culprit. No other workouts have really bothered me. I'll just substitute another on that day.

No regrets now on ordering the whole set. I'll just do what I can and substitute what I can't. Thanks again, Ladies!

Great thread! I was actually on the fence about pre-ordering, and I am one who has pre-ordered EVERYTHING that Cathe has produced. I discovered on my own that there is no cause and effect between plyo exercises and bad knees when I experienced three solid days of Cathe's routines at the NJ RT this past July. That was the deal breaker for me. I made it through the weekend and felt like a million bucks! I'm very excited for that package from SNM to arrive in my mailbox this November. :)

I think my thread got Jacked!!!! lol. just kidding. This is the best high-jacking I've ever seen. This is great info and I'm so glad Admin chimed in!

I just turned 49, and kicked butt on 5 workouts so far this week which included 40/20, Rockout Knockout and Cardio Lower Body from Xtrain this week. No issues at all. I know the more I stress my body the better it performs. Crazy..... I know. But Cathe's variety of dvds truly does give something for everyone.

Now, back to the original request..... You all have shown me a little of myself in all the responses. Who said something about being "Cathe Greedy"? Yeah that's me!! Cause I'll be ordering tomorrow. :p

I love your post shereeta,

I agree, this is the best thread hijacking ever lol;);):D.

Love plyo and will do them till I get boxed in a grave!:D
From the deep point of view, I will do them safely as often as it is healthy and with NO EXCUSE!

Well, as to the pre-orders...Uhmm I am cathe greedy. I admit.
I love my workout and Cathe is the only instructor I would pre-order without any reluctance.

Happy High jump everyone;)

"Jumping" in to say that I am 53 years old and have severe osteo-arthritis, osteoporosis, femoral head bursitis, torn ACLs in both kness, shredded menisci in my right knee, and mild scoliosis.
I do not hold back on Cathe's routines. I am stronger and have virtually no discomfort or pain at all. I started working out, in earnest, about 13 years ago with Cathe.
I felt worse and used to hobble out of bed each morning when I was in my late 30's. Now, 13 years down the road, I can hop out of bed, pull off some nice heavy weight training or Hiit or plyo or interval or step and still have energy and desire to slip in 3-4 one hour plus on road cycling or spinning stints (some aerobic based; some intervals or hill training) each week.
I love the new changes and challenges Cathe brings us each year and look forward to each new release. Yes, I pre-order everything without hesitation.
I have never felt better in my life and will only back off on intensity when my body tells me to ease up.
My doctor says (tongue in cheek) at each annual physical, "I can't find anything wrong with you. Get out of here and keep doing whatever it is you're doing. You're a boring patient."
My weekly chiropractic visits tweak any joint out of alignment back into alignment, and I go on my merry way.
Bring it on! I'm going to head into my 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's with power.

"Jumping" in to say that I am 53 years old and have severe osteo-arthritis, osteoporosis, femoral head bursitis, torn ACLs in both kness, shredded menisci in my right knee, and mild scoliosis.
I do not hold back on Cathe's routines. I am stronger and have virtually no discomfort or pain at all. I started working out, in earnest, about 13 years ago with Cathe.
I felt worse and used to hobble out of bed each morning when I was in my late 30's. Now, 13 years down the road, I can hop out of bed, pull off some nice heavy weight training or Hiit or plyo or interval or step and still have energy and desire to slip in 3-4 one hour plus on road cycling or spinning stints (some aerobic based; some intervals or hill training) each week.
I love the new changes and challenges Cathe brings us each year and look forward to each new release. Yes, I pre-order everything without hesitation.
I have never felt better in my life and will only back off on intensity when my body tells me to ease up.
My doctor says (tongue in cheek) at each annual physical, "I can't find anything wrong with you. Get out of here and keep doing whatever it is you're doing. You're a boring patient."
My weekly chiropractic visits tweak any joint out of alignment back into alignment, and I go on my merry way.
Bring it on! I'm going to head into my 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's with power.

I have been inspired by your post Bonnie.

I too love when my doctor quote: "Carry on doing whatever you do":)
I love sensing that boredom when I step in the doctor office too.:):)

Hoping to age smoothly ;-)

I have been inspired by your post Bonnie.

I too love when my doctor quote: "Carry on doing whatever you do":)
I love sensing that boredom when I step in the doctor office too.:):)

Hoping to age smoothly ;-)
My orthopedic doc could not believe how fast I recovered and got back my range of motion after rotator cuff surgery. I had a clip put in and could not move it for 2 months. Then slowly started rehab then when he gave the ok to do what ever, I started with Travel Fit and her Low Impact series and then about 4 months post op, he could not believe what he saw. He said it should have taken 6 months for that. He said don't come back unless you have another problem. I didn't injure my cuff by exercise, I had an impingement that tore my cuff. So I figured Cathe was not to blame and haven't stopped yet and it's been 5 yrs. THANK YOU CATHE!!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.