? about stability balls...

getnfit@38

Cathlete
For anyone who knows the differences between balls, would you be kind enough to give me a few "pre-purchase" guidelines.

For instance, are Swiss balls, Thera balls and Stability balls all the same, just different names?

I understand about getting a ball according to my height, but am I actually looking for a ball specifically titled: Stability ball?

Any and all insight into this purchase will be appreciated! I understand "medicine ball" but this other ball has me a little confused?
And lastly, does this thing stay inflated, or do you pump it up when needed? And if it's full of air, do I need to consider weight restrictions? Lord knows my esteem might not recover if my big ass layed on this ball and it popped!

Thanks for your knowledge and input, and any "heads up" on cost/purchase locations, etc is appreciated! :)

Donna
Fitness~ it's a journey, not a race!

Donna!

Oh my gosh, you have tears running down my face AGAIN! You are just too funny!

I don't really think there is a difference in the three different balls you named. I just think different companies give them diff. names. (okay, did I use the word "different enough yet??) Someone correct me if I am wrong. Just for your information, I picked up a "Yoga Kit" at Marshall's a week or so ago and it included a Yoga Mat, Inflatable Ball, a pump and a Yoga/Pilates video. It was around $15.00 for all (on sale from about $30.00) BTW, the ball supports up to 300#, sooo you are ready girl!!! Woo-Hooo! I hope this helps a bit. I don't believe you deflate the ball each time. That sure would be a pain, although it does give directions how to. Hopefully, others can give you some more tips. BTW, how is your Mom? Did she have her surgery yet? I have been thinking of you & her. Keep me posted.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Forgot!

The kit is by "Everlast". It is called "Pilates YogaKit Full Body Conditioning." I have not used the vid yet. I'll let you know if I do. (Like I will ever find time to add another vid!)

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Tell you what I did - I just went to Wal-Mart and got a big fitness ball(swiss, stability, etc., same thing). Didn't consider what it was called, I saw the good price and bought it. Some may be higher grade rubber which would be a consideration if you were getting it for a gym where it would be used a LOT.

You have to pump them back up every few weeks because they may lose a little air.

Does that help?

Just Do It! :)

Donna,

I'm so glad you asked about this. I've been wondering, too. I bought a stability ball at Wal-Mart recently and my son popped it. Oh, not by lying on it. He just rubbed up against something a little too sharp, but it seemed very flimsy to me--sort of like a thick balloon. (Or maybe we're just a family of clods :) ) I think I'm going to invest in one from a sports shop next time, so I'll be watching this post to see what others recommend.

Shari

One more thing...

I do know that they make two differnet kinds, one being slow-deflate. Ths means if it DOES POP, OH MY!!!, that it will deflate slowly, not all at once. It doesn't say on mine which it is???? Good Luck!

Donna,
I got a "balance ball" at KMart over the weekend. I haven't used it yet, but it was $20 and came with a video.
Linda

Debbie....

Thanks for the info on the balls!:)

And my mom had her hip replacement surgery on the 8th, and all went well. Because she has been a walker for the past 40 years (not speed/exercise walker, but just a person who will walk rather than ride an escalator or elevator, park further away from locations and walk, etc.) her recovery time has been cut in half! The hospital released her last Friday on the 15th (your B-day!) and allowed her to go home. She has p.t. 2x/week and a nurse comes out to check on her stitches, which will be removed tomorrow BTW. She's doing well except for a little discomfort when trying to find a position to sleep in. She uses a walker temporarily, but should be able to ditch it in a few weeks! :)

One thing I've learned from her experience is that what we (all of us here on the forum) do for ourselves is far bigger than "looking good, losing weight, achieving a certain body shape/type, etc., it's about investing in our future health and well being! If my mom can thank basic daily walking/activity for a speedier recovery, then we are all doing so much more with the efforts we put in with the cardio and resistance training we do. I never really concentrated on the "big picture" of fitness, but now I will!

Thanks for asking :)

Donna

HB..............................

Hey Honeybunch :)

Got it~ same balls, different names, so go for the best price! :)

Donna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.