STS Check In DISC 3...LEGS

Cathe - I have to tell you, I was afraid of this workout :D. I did it about 6am and about halfway through I'm thinking "where does this woman come up with this stuff??????" :eek:

I made it through but wasn't able to dip down low enough on the exercises with the paper plates in order to set my weights down; I just held them the whole time. When I did try to set them down on the lunges where we slide our leg back, I felt like I was engaging my lower back too much to get back up. Hopefully this will get easier. I also had a hard time on the "touch the floor" squats. I was nowhere NEAR the floor. I'm doing the 6 month rotation so I'll get another shot next week!

Before I even made it to the shower, my legs hurt :D :D :D

GREAT WORKOUT!!!!!!

I made it through but wasn't able to dip down low enough on the exercises with the paper plates in order to set my weights down; I just held them the whole time.

You are not alone. I could not go that low either.:confused: I am hoping with time and more strength, I will be able too. :D

Cathe - I have to tell you, I was afraid of this workout :D. I did it about 6am and about halfway through I'm thinking "where does this woman come up with this stuff??????" :eek:

I made it through but wasn't able to dip down low enough on the exercises with the paper plates in order to set my weights down; I just held them the whole time. When I did try to set them down on the lunges where we slide our leg back, I felt like I was engaging my lower back too much to get back up. Hopefully this will get easier. I also had a hard time on the "touch the floor" squats. I was nowhere NEAR the floor. I'm doing the 6 month rotation so I'll get another shot next week!

Before I even made it to the shower, my legs hurt :D :D :D

GREAT WORKOUT!!!!!!

Hi Kim,

How are you? Haven't seen you around in a long time! I am thinking doing the 6 month rotation too! I did like the paper plates exercises:D I got a nice burn in my legs!

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

I too did this workout early in the AM. WOW, what a tough workout!! My legs were burning right from the beginning with the walking lunges & plie squats (I knew I was in trouble then!) I always have dreaded deadlifts, but compared to some of the other exercises, they seemed easy! Although I had to pause a lot b/t exercises, I did finish it & also did the Bonus legs (although after the first exercise, I was wondering what was I thinking when I decided to do it).

I too had trouble doing the wall squats where you pick up the weight; could not get down far enough; also my legs were burning so that after doing 2 out of form reps, I just decided to skip the rest! :O

Once the workout was over, I felt a great sense of accomplishment---there were a few times in there where I was like, I don't know if I'm going to make it! Overall, it was a great workout that worked my legs good! Because I'm going on a all day bus trip tomorrow & won't be able to workout, I thought I'd do LIS cardio only from 4DS after Disc 3...OMG!! Never before had I felt my legs burn during a step routine. After 15 minutes, my legs were jelly & I was done working out! Won't be trying that again.

Also, I weighed today & have lost 2 lbs in the past wk, so STS is definitely burning off some calories!!

Can't wait to do more STS! :)

STS Disc 3 Check-in

Cathe:

Happy Friday! Wow! You were awake after midnight. Did you have enough energy to do the happy dance in your Friday morning step class today?

I had a blast with STS Disc 3 the first Thursday in February, and it is my favorite STS workout so far! This has already replaced my beloved Butts and Guts leg blast premix as my favorite lower body workout of all time. You were right on target when you affectionately referred to these leg workouts as "Butts and Guts on crack!" Thank you for including walking lunges and firewalkers! Fun, fun, fun! The sequential lunge/front kick combo is another fun favorite. I modified to protect my knees, chose lighter weights for weighted wall squats, and held the weights the whole time instead of breaking the 90-degree plane. Even without weights, it stresses my knees to go down that far. I did not complete the one-rep max tests for legs since most of my weight is body weight, but this is still a super challenging workout. I love, love, love the bonus burn with the fun fan kicks over a stability ball. I appreciated not needing to load plates on my barbell too, which is one of the things I love about the Butts and Guts leg blast premix. I prefer body weight and lighter weight exercises for my lower body.

Warning to those who are moving forward next week, STS Disc 6 is even more intense. I am feeling that one in my butt today!

Have a blessed weekend! We will be on the same page next week as I revisit the second week of Mesocycle 1. Hugs! :)

P.S. Your response in the STS Disc 2 check-in last night made me laugh out loud! I hope and pray that I do not have to eat my veggies until Mesocyle 3!
tongue.gif
hug.gif

Blessings,
Heather B.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Last edited:
Hi Kim,

How are you? Haven't seen you around in a long time! I am thinking doing the 6 month rotation too! I did like the paper plates exercises:D I got a nice burn in my legs!

Take care,

Hi! I've been around, posting here and there. I love the paper plate exercises too. I just wish I could get deeper!!

Hi STSers,

When doing the bent leg pulse with the paper plate and it sticks because of the sweat and no matter how far my leg goes down, it still sticks, is this considered cheating???LOL

Thank you, Cathe, no really thank you for a fantastic workout.

I also did Stability ball abs and had to laugh at myself, as I slid off the ball while doing the side bends, cursed-er-praised you during the one legged pikes-which I couldn't do at all, so did the regular pikes.

My legs are burning!! Gee, can't wait for tomorrows doms-lol.

Can't wait to do disc #4.

Have a good day!!

Kris

I just did week 2 Disc 6 for legs. HOLY CANNOLI!!!! I thought I would be good to go. I made it through Disc 3 pretty good so I was all set for today's...WRONG! Ouch, Ouch and OUCH!!! I don't know if it is because I have been struggling with a bug all week or not but WOW! The sit n stands? Not happening for me on a chair. I had to sit on my bay window seat and put one foot on the other. I will get there little by little. I must admit I don't enjoy working out lower body as much cause IT HURTS! LOL! THat is where my weight is so it is much harder but i will perservere. I am always glad that I have done it when it is over though. I do have a question. My big toe on one foot just does not bend well at all and it hurts on most any move like front lunges or rear lunges. Is it okay to just substitute static lunges instead? I know it doesn't alleviate the toe pain but it helps a little that it is not back and forth on the toe, does that make sense.
I screwed up on my start date of STS. I planned on my rest week coming during my cruise next month but I noticed today that my rest week would be the week before so i will be repeating week 2 with you all next week.
have a great weekend everyone!!!
Vicki

I did Disk #3 today for the second time (I'm in my second week of the six month rotation). For the most part, it went much better for me than it did last week. I'm still struggling a little bit on getting the weights up during the first set of paper plate lunges, but I did much better this time...and was actually able to add weight. I'm also still struggling with the wall squats and picking up the weights. I put my 4" step underneath me today, and I think I should have gone for 6". I was able to do some with the 4", but it just isn't the most comfortable exercise for me. I don't remember if these show up in later workouts, but I might try them one more time and if it doesn't work, just stick to holding the weights during the move.

I really felt the workout more this week than last. Part of that could be because I did something really stupid :) yesterday for my cardio. I'm used to doing cardio more than three days a week, so now that I'm doing it just three days a week, I'm finding that I really feel like challenging myself. So yesterday I decided to do the 4DS KB/BC combined cardio workout (which I think has a great 'fun' factor), but I wanted to add more challenge to it. So in between the two sections (after the KB section), I added Cathe's Quick Fix Cardio, then repeated the arm drills from the KB and went into BC. I think it might have been the stair exercises in the Cardio Quick Fix, but my legs were struggling through some of the later BC drills. And I certainly felt them this morning when doing Disc 3. But I got through it!!

I finished my workout today with weights/plates abs. What a great workout. I'm really looking forward to starting the second week of workouts on Monday!

Last edited:
Hi STSers,

When doing the bent leg pulse with the paper plate and it sticks because of the sweat and no matter how far my leg goes down, it still sticks, is this considered cheating???LOL

Kris

Hi, Kris.

That's exactly what happened to me. :) I just laughed when Cathe asked how we were doing with our plates. I decided it wasn't cheating, I earned that sweat!

I actually did disc 9 today, talk about sore! OUCH. I had to stop the DVD after 35 minutes to stretch seriously and deeply. Did manage to finish it, though. And I am still feeling it 7 hours later. WOW. Wonder how I'll feel tomorrow. . ..

Janie

Hi Cathe:

I did Disc 9 today..LOVED it!!! My legs are feeling like jello right now. Especially since the cardio for yesterday was kickmax and my legs were already protesting those leg drills.. Now they are crying since I finished disc 9..I can guarantee DOMS tomorrow!! I really enjoyed the bonus section for the legs on the matt. It was tough using the plates for the hamstring/glutes..I was ok with one leg at a time. But, both legs was a different story...I needed that extended stretch today..

Thanks for the great workout!!!

Last edited:
I did legs on Wednesday and am still feeling it today:eek:I love it though thats what keeps me coming back;) love those DOMS:D.
I really love STS. Thank you Cathe!

I did Disc #3 this morning. I am very glad that I had been doing some of Mindy Mylrea's Gliding DVDs, as they were good prep for the paper plate moves. I remember when I couldn't do even one rep with good form, but now I don't find them too bad. In general I found Disc #3 tough, but doable and fun. I felt pleasantly worked by the end. Went up and had a warm bath (at 9:30 a.m.!) then went off for a manicure & pedicure (took the day off work today). I am sure I will feel sore tomorrow! It will be a yoga day, maybe some light cardio too.

Disc 3 done! :)

I can't remember who posted the tip about putting your step underneath you during the wall squats with DB's but my knees are thanking you. I'm with some of you guys on the sliding moves, I'm just hanging onto the DB the whole time. If I do it the way Cathe does my knees feel really sharp pain on the way up after grabbing the DB's off of the floor..ouch!

Other modifications I added were during the end on the bonus leg segment. For some reason over the past few years I'm having a hard time doing outer thigh movements. I start to feel really uncomfortable pain in my hip joints. :( I did the first standing outer thigh lifts and pulses okay but for the bent knee w/ the plate I did pizza press glute squeezes and for the fan kicks I did inner thigh leg lifts using my 4lb body bar.

Oh and I was thankful that those one-leg elevated lunges were at the beginning b/c I have a love-hate relationship with those so it was great to get them out of the way. ;):)

Another fantastic workout..Thanks a bunch Cathe! :)

See you next week! :)

Disc 3 Done, DOne, DONe, DONE!!!!!
Oh my gosh! Wall squats with weights???? I just threw them down at one point and then thought that was a bad idea because they could have fallen on my toes. Next time I'll throw them farther away. This was so hard for me from the start. I was breathing hard from the start and then I wanted to quit early. But, I pictured myself in three months and went for the BONUS BURN. My butt is already feeling this and I know I'll be walking funny but that is okay.
See you next time.
Veronika

Well, I really dread heavy weight training for lower body but this one wasn't bad! I bulk up easily so I kept the weights light and still felt the burn--so I know I wasn't dogging it! I ran out of time and skipped the bonus stuff (which on preview looks to be my fave), but I'll do it tomorrow.

Another winner Cathe!

Disc 3 done. I must say I was a little intimidated by this workout. I had to do quite a bit of modifying, especially with the paper plates. They just would not slide on my basement floor. I still feel like I got a good workout, even without the paper plates. Another awesome workout :)

Disc 3 in the record books (AGAIN!) I did great on the paper plate slides, but had trouble with the side squats off the high step... knees started to OUCH!

Another great workout! Thanks Cathe :)

I did Disc 3 this morning and I have to say that STS just keeps getting better and better! So far this has been my favorite. I swear it seemed to only last about 10 minutes. On some of those paper plate moves I do remember wondering where Cathe comes up with this stuff? And I loved the bonus leg drills at the end!

Thanks again, Cathe. You have certainly outdone yourself on this production!

Bev

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.