STS Check In DISC 3...LEGS

Things I learned today while doing disk 3....

1. Plates enjoy the gravitational pull of the earth rather than sitting on top of my leg :rolleyes:
2. Wall squats seem like innocent fun with the pretty red ball on the way down, but if you go to far down, they get ornery and wont let you back up without a fight. :mad:
3. Deadlifts are still my friend :D
4. If your leg finally zonks out during fan kicks you can kick your ball all the way across the room hard and knock your water bottle off of the tv stand so you can find a way to squat some more after your workout and mop up water :p

I cant wait to hear everyone else's experiences today. Enjoy your day.

Mary

BWAHAAAA.......#4 is so me. I can't tell you how often I've had to mop up the water after kicking it over or missing the table putting it down quickly during a 30 second rest. Then there's the spilling it down the front of me as I try to march or run in place.

My rest day was Thursday, so Disc 3 was today.

Great workout, very different from every thing I've doing. Loved the paper plate moves.

Firewalkers, how I missed thee. So she makes us do 3000 of them!!!:eek:

Wall squats with weight was a challenge...had a tough time getting back up after getting the weights.

Have a great weekend all.

Call me crazy!

I really enjoyed this workout! I like doing a lot of leg work because that's where I need it the most.

DH didn't bother to do his 1RMs for the lower body, but it didn't matter because he used body weight only :p while I maxed out. He doesn't usually work lower body hard (if at all). (Guess what, sweetie -- the picnic is truly over for you!)

Enjoyed it lots and I'm looking forward to the next STS workout on Monday. Tomorrow I'll do LowMax so I have a low impact workout because I did two kickboxing workouts this week.

I'm also enjoying the fact that no matter what we're doing, it's never for very long. That makes it easier to give your best effort! :)

...I'm also enjoying the fact that no matter what we're doing, it's never for very long. That makes it easier to give your best effort! :)

This is so true. I completed this workout for the first time today and it was great -- so hard, but so doable. I did have to pause the DVD a lot for setup and to write things down, but since my HR stayed up I didn't worry about it.

I have lots of notes for when I do it next week which will make things go more smoothly. This will be my one and only week checking in with you guys at the same time since I am going to do the extended rotation. I'll miss the check-in, but will definitely still be reading along. Have fun with Week 2!

Mesllisa, Kathryn, Nancy

You all did so great on Disc 3. Loved your energy and Kathryn, doesn't it feel good to show off your strength in front of your hubby? :D

Keep shocking it everybody!

This is so true. I completed this workout for the first time today and it was great -- so hard, but so doable. I did have to pause the DVD a lot for setup and to write things down, but since my HR stayed up I didn't worry about it.

I have lots of notes for when I do it next week which will make things go more smoothly. This will be my one and only week checking in with you guys at the same time since I am going to do the extended rotation. I'll miss the check-in, but will definitely still be reading along. Have fun with Week 2!

Way to go Becky! Riding out your program to the very end :) and feeling it in places you never imagined :D

I take these workouts with me to the gym.

I have to walk up 2 flights of stairs to exit the gym. Just though I would mention that.

It was like a super bonus at the end of this workout. There is an elevator, but I proudly hobbled up the stairs anyway.

You did it at 3:30am Shani? Oh my goodness....is that what time you wake up to work out? That is sooooo early? My hats off to you!

Um, I did disk 3 at 3:30am this morning and my poor legs just shook for a few hours later. DOMS are finally catching up with me primarily in the glutes and hamstrings but I'm sure it will be more by tomorrow. A bit concerned I may have trouble walking tomorrow! LOL

Insanely tough workout. Thanks! I'm sure I'll be thanking you Cathe (later) for the great results I've gotten. For now, it is good to know you struggled too! :)

Wow Heather, you doveinto one of the toughest Ab workouts...plates. If you can get through that you can do them all!!! You sound like you are doing amazingly well in every way with STS. Woohoo! Go Heather!

Cathe:

Oh, yes, it is a picnic--a DOMS feast! LOL! I love the plate exercises. I was so happy when I saw these exercises in the blog photos last year. I invested in gliding discs a few years ago, and they have been collecting dust in my fitness closet. I am glad I have the purple gliding discs, but they are very slippery. After my first slide-back lunge, I wondered who waxed my carpet! LOL! The Ab Circuits plate work is the real challenge! Oh my word!

I love, love, love firewalkers! Sweet DOMS tonight. LOL! :)

Blessings,
Heather B.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Hi Jenn! I was so excited I just couldn't wait to get started. :eek:

I have so far done week 1 and 2 of legs. But now week 3 is here and I have taken a rest week due to work constraints and a stomach bug. Starting Sunday I am back to it though. ;)

But I just wanted to say if you listen to Cathe in the warmup she gets very excited about the the "torture" she is about to give all of us. :p

Jenn

Hi Cathy (nice name, tee hee)! If you have back pain, don't go down as far in plate slide exercises, wall squats, deadlifts, or narrow stance squats. You may also need to keep your leg lower on the fan kicks, leg lifts with plate on hip (from leg bonus too) and drop side lunge into leg abduction. Just something to tuck away for next workout if it happens again.

As for sleep? I like to get 6 to 8 hours per night but haven't lately due to insomina. Sub lingual melatonin tablets are working well for this though. Thanks for asking :)

i did disc 8 today and disc 9 yesterday. TOUGH STUFF for sure. and i was wondering if cathe ever sleeps too. how does she do it???

do you ever sleep, cathe?? i don't know how you do it. and you have 2 young kiddos , don't ya?

however, i am having a bit of back pain, not just doms, but pain. gonna kinda take it easy this weekend and wait til the end of the week to do the legs next week.
anyway, wonder what cathe thinks of disc 3.
cathy

My husband is doing STS. Didn't do 1RM's and is just doing them in order with however many days in between he feels like. I had him do some deep massage on my legs today, as they were still feeling Friday's workout a bit. He mentioned that HE never gets sore like that. Um...yeah...cause you never challenge yourself at all. Ok, I didn't say it, just thought it. Asked him why he thought that was and he got a bit defensive saying that he does sometimes push himself. He's been literally doing my workouts since we got together back in about 1995 and has really never progressed. Watching him is like a watching a train wreck because of his form and coordination, you don't want to look, but can't help yourself. :rolleyes: So, I avoid the basement when he's working out. I learned way back, in the beginning, that any pointers from me were NOT appreciated. ;)

I've got my workout cards for next week printed and I'm ready to roll Monday with Disk 4! I'm loving it and I am pushing and challenging myself...and feeling it every minute of my day. :D

Great to hear you had a good workout. Well since you have all that snow you can go make a snowman for your cool down...:p

My relatives from Germany arrived two days ago. My parents are giving them the NYC tour today.

Tschuss!

Good morning Cathe:eek:

You already up? Do you ever sleep? LOL!

I just got done with disc 3 legs! WOW! It kicked my butt:p I got a very nice burn in my legs, I also love the drills on the end! I never knew paper plates would give my legs such a nice burn. I couldn't pick up my weights with the wall squats, I keept them in my hands:p When DH comes home tonight, he need to fix my carpet in my workout room. its all mesed up after wall squats:rolleyes::D I love the leg workout! You are the best!

We are covered in snow in Grafenwoehr, I am so sick of snow! We had more than enough of that white stuff:eek:

Hope you get same sleep today? Have a good one!

Very valuable lessons Mary :)

Good Morning to Cathe and were able to still walk to the computer.....

Disk 3 was tough going this morning, as I suspected it would be as I am more of a leg strength type of person rather than leg endurance, but I made it through and am determined to get through the other 3 in this mesocycle.

Things I learned today while doing disk 3....

1. Plates enjoy the gravitational pull of the earth rather than sitting on top of my leg :rolleyes:
2. Wall squats seem like innocent fun with the pretty red ball on the way down, but if you go to far down, they get ornery and wont let you back up without a fight. :mad:
3. Deadlifts are still my friend :D
4. If your leg finally zonks out during fan kicks you can kick your ball all the way across the room hard and knock your water bottle off of the tv stand so you can find a way to squat some more after your workout and mop up water :p

I cant wait to hear everyone else's experiences today. Enjoy your day.

Mary

Wishing you and your hubby continued success in your STS journey and wow, working out "together" since 1995...way to go!

My husband is doing STS. Didn't do 1RM's and is just doing them in order with however many days in between he feels like. I had him do some deep massage on my legs today, as they were still feeling Friday's workout a bit. He mentioned that HE never gets sore like that. Um...yeah...cause you never challenge yourself at all. Ok, I didn't say it, just thought it. Asked him why he thought that was and he got a bit defensive saying that he does sometimes push himself. He's been literally doing my workouts since we got together back in about 1995 and has really never progressed. Watching him is like a watching a train wreck because of his form and coordination, you don't want to look, but can't help yourself. :rolleyes: So, I avoid the basement when he's working out. I learned way back, in the beginning, that any pointers from me were NOT appreciated. ;)

I've got my workout cards for next week printed and I'm ready to roll Monday with Disk 4! I'm loving it and I am pushing and challenging myself...and feeling it every minute of my day. :D

Yep, 3:30am is the only way to workout *and* get to work on time (6:30 with a 1 hour commute). But hey, it is worth it! The energy from the workout first is tremendous, and honestly if I didn't do it first, it wouldn't be fit in in the afternoon. Oh, and I was right... major DOMS today. :eek: Thanks Cathe! LOL :p (and thanks for giving me something I *want* to wake up to instead of dread!)

Weights and Plates

If you can get through that you can do them all!!! You sound like you are doing amazingly well in every way with STS. Woohoo! Go Heather!

Cathe:

Thanks for the encouragement. Just to clarify, I completed the weight segment of weights and plates Ab Circuits. I watched you enjoy the plates. Just kidding! I made it through the mountain climbers. As for the rest of the plate segment, I got humbled and ate some carpet after a few reps. My gliding discs are slippery. I kept wondering who waxed my carpet. LOL! This is the toughest ab and core work I have ever attempted. My heart rate soars!

Yes, I am doing amazingly well with STS and still shrinking. I need to strengthen my wrists and core before I will be able to say that I have mastered this challenging workout. *wink* The medicine ball workout is more my speed, but I am fixing to give the stability ball segment a whirl with modified pikes. The plate exercises for legs are a blast. I love those! I am praying that you can sleep tonight. Sweet dreams! :)

Blessings,
Heather B.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Last edited:
I'm kind of late to the game, but would like to join all you lovely ladies-and gents;) My schedule is a bit off-I was sick this week so just got to STS3 today and will do STS2tomorrow-can't wait for the pull ups and chins! I loved today's workout-it goes by so fast and the variety is awesome. I was so pumped when I was done. Thanks for the great series, Cathe! I can't wait to hurt tomorrow;)

thank you for the reply, cathe, (yeah, i kinda like your name too :). i was wondering where you are from in germany? i lived there as a teen and i loved it. it is so beautiful. i lived in darmstadt. would love to go back and see it now.

ok, am starting meso 1 week 4 tomorrow. will pay attention to your suggestions for my back pain.
thanks a bunch,
cathy

bonus work

Hi Leslie! The bonus work after each workout is not very long because it was designed to just be a bonus add on while the muscles are warm and fatigued. No problem if you want to do them on another day, but you might find that you can either go longer or need more weight resistance (based on what the exercise calls for) because you are no longer entering the bonus from a fatigued stated but rather a refreshed state. So keep that in mind and again, make any intensity adjustments if your finding it too easy.

Well, I really dread heavy weight training for lower body but this one wasn't bad! I bulk up easily so I kept the weights light and still felt the burn--so I know I wasn't dogging it! I ran out of time and skipped the bonus stuff (which on preview looks to be my fave), but I'll do it tomorrow.

Another winner Cathe!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.